Code of Conduct

Default Most inspiring books on perfumery or olfaction?

Any favorites you kept going back to or re-read?
    Which ones inspired or taught you the most?

Mine:
    The Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr
    Perfumery: Practice and Principles by Robert R. Calkin & J. Stephan Jellinek
    Introduction to Perfumery by Tony Curtis and David G. Williams
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

Default Re: Most inspiring books on perfumery or olfaction?

As for many other people, the AZ guide by Turin-Sanchez continues to be a reference.

Sooner or later, I'll have to put my hands on the books written by perfumers and available, if any, only in France. And now I want to check the last two book you mention ...

cacio

Banned

Hello Irina:-)

Nice question, i wish there are more books on perfume,
    but my first book on perfumes was from Luca Turin and Sanchez, the Guide:-) ,I only wish there are more perfumes listed in it, i was fascinated by the book, and i learnt about it because i was fascinated by Ubar, and found on amouage page they mentioned Luca , this is how all began:-)

and then i bought kindle edition of Essence and alchemy:a book of perfume, have not read it yet, i will order the 2nd from your list as it seems so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Any favorites you kept going back to or re-read?
    Which ones inspired or taught you the most?

Mine:
    The Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr
    Perfumery: Practice and Principles by Robert R. Calkin & J. Stephan Jellinek
    Introduction to Perfumery by Tony Curtis and David G. Williams
    +1 on Introduction to Perfumery by Tony Curtis and David G. Williams for sheer usefulness.

But for inspiration, more than utility, it has to be Patrick Süskind’s Perfume: the story of a murder and The Art of Perfumery by G.W. Septimus Piesse.

I've a blog post about other perfumery books I like that I'll probably update with more at some point.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Cool replies everyone, many thanks

2nd on Patrick Süskind’s Perfume: the story of a murder, how can I forget about that, it was my first book ever on the subject, I was 17 and I was jealous of Grenouille LOL

And of course The guide, although I didn't really 'learn' much from it, besides their personal preferences, but it was very entertaining and I do look perfumes up in that book when I don't have access to internet.

Chris, I need to re-read Piesse, only gave it a quick browse on google.books.

I'm also interested in reviews, if anyone would like to share?

I just found out that many bloggers published some books, did anyone read any of these below:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Snob-Perf.../dp/1742704689

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfume-.../dp/0007411820

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coming-My-Se.../dp/0670023612
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The AZ guide by Turin-Sanchez

Perfume : The Art and Science of Scent by Cathy Newman. A bit dated, in a 1990s kinda way, but still relevant and a solid read ( not a long read, it quite short IMO). You learn something here.

The Turin and Sanchez guide did very little to inspire me compared to Newmans book. Its nice little book to have, I suppose ( well, I bought it, so I am stuck with it).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Though quite technical, The Secret of Scent by L. Turin was one that has lingered with me the longest and opened my eyes to how remarkable, incredible, beautiful, and still so mysterious this sense of ours is.

Banned

I am interested in le snob too:-) but none of those books are in kindle edition....for me its still a bit of mystery that there are so few books on the sense of smell:-) ,
    I have learnt from the guide a lot must say, in so few words they described the essence of so many perfumes, that i think it takes great knowledge of the matter to do it, because before reading it i thought the smell is very subjective thing, now i think smell is no more subjective then a colour:-), because on many things i had the same experience as they did, and many those experiences were collected in first few seconds or minutes of smelling, but i could not articulate it ......

If you read French, you might like to check out E. Roudnitska's le parfum and l'esthétique en question.
    They're out of print, but I found it worthwhile to track them down.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Though quite technical, The Secret of Scent by L. Turin was one that has lingered with me the longest and opened my eyes to how remarkable, incredible, beautiful, and still so mysterious this sense of ours is.
    agree!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Well, guys, now I just see that the thread was moved from the DIY section to this one. No problem, but my initial quest was mainly out of interest about perfume making, the creation of perfume and olfaction information for people that like to compose perfume. That might give other answers than for example 'the guide'?

Was just reading this article that to me, sounded very interesting:
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.nl/20...odifie-en.html

Anyways sorry for the mix-up, it is still an interest question for all perfume lovers
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com