Code of Conduct

Default Reformulated Eau Sauvage is a Masterpiece!

Look on store counters and you will see Eau Sauvage EDT in the same bottle and same box, but the juice has changed. The oakmoss has been removed due to IFRA (European regulations) which Dior has applied universally. This remakes Eau Sauvage into more of an eau de cologne than a chypre. I think IFRA has actually done Dior a favor here because it eliminates the ingredient that made Eau Sauvage seem so heavy and dated. The reformulation is magnificent, in my opinion. The sparkling citrus, seductive jasmine and grassy vetiver combine to give us a summer's day in a bottle.

If you admired Eau Sauvage but hesitated to buy a bottle because it seemed too mature or out of style or not attractive to younger women, you may be pleasantly surprised. Eau Sauvage has been to the spa, lost some weight and is sporting an up-to-date vibe.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 3rd December 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Default Re: Reformulated Eau Sauvage is a Masterpiece!

I own the reformulated and have to agree that it smells really good.
    It only has even less than edc strength but for the 3 hrs average longevity it is very enjoyable in warmer weather.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Sound Scents

I certainly enjoy the current version of regular Eau Sauvage on its own merits and can still recommend it, but the ingredient you disdain so much (oakmoss) actually is what made the vintage juice so great, IMO. I obviously strongly prefer the more substantial structure and overall result of the vintage and don't find it dated one iota.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

When was the reformulation?

I might own the reformulated, not the vintage version, yet nevertheless the scent is still wonderful throughout.

Basenotes Junkie

While it doesn't smell quite so dated anymore, I still think it has a distinctively mature smell. It's a brilliant composition for sure, but I would imagine anyone under 40 would have a hard time pulling off Eau Sauvage. At least that's the impression I get. I keep wanting to like it, but I get too much of an old man vibe. If you are a middle aged or older gentleman, then go for it..

Old man vibe? Hmm perhaps so, this middle aged fella couldn't care less though. Excellent stuff this Eau Sauvage!
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

I have Eau Sauvage Parfum and really enjoy it, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a masterpiece though. Can you tell me if they are much different and is it worth trying the EDT?

I like all incarnations of this scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I have Eau Sauvage Parfum and really enjoy it, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a masterpiece though. Can you tell me if they are much different and is it worth trying the EDT?
    Eau Sauvage Parfum should have been called something completely different IMO. Doir calls it "the new intensity", giving rise to the thought it is a stronger smelling version of the EDT. It is not. Both are different scents apart from the opening notes. Both are great scents IMO.

My trio of Eau Sauvage:

I haven't tried the reformulation, but thanks for letting us know your opinion. I personally love the pure perfume version, but think it has NO resemblance whatsoever to Eau Sauvage. To me it is like one of the brothers of the boutique colognes, eg Eau Noire, etc.
    The issue I did have with Eau Sauvage, (in the 70's/80's) was that in Great Britain every second man was wearing it. This really put me off wearing it. The same thing with Givenchy Gentleman. Every third guy was wearing this. And at the same time, due to the fact that Drakker Noir was pitched in price about 25% lower than all other mens fragrances, every fourth man was wearing Drakkar Noir ~ it became widely known as the cheaper option when buying a fragrance gift for a man. So, for this reason my love was killed for these three.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    They are very, very different IMO. I can't stand the Parfum and find it not even worth a mention in the same sentence with the vintage edt (or even the current edt, for that matter).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I definitely agree that it's a masterpiece and doesn't smell dated at all. In fact you can't go wrong with the EDT for any occasion. A must have for my summer rotation. The new Parfum is completely different.

I've gotta get hold of the Parfum sometime soon. There's so much divided opinion on this, I need to try it out myself!

The newer version in a bit fresher in the drydown and a bit duller IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

The newer version in a bit fresher in the drydown and a bit duller IMHO.

Basenotes Institution

I'm lucky: I dislike the original and the reformulation both.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Very well said, drseid.

I concur. Current formulation is imminently very wearable and enjoyable, but fleeting. The Vintage juice has wonderful Oakmoss as both a true note and fixative. You don't get excellent longevity, but it does drydown and stay longer than current formulation. Layering the two is also a fine option.

I definitely like current Eau Sauvage - but Vintage Eau Sauvage is neither dated nor anything short of a classic masterpiece.

To each - their own.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I certainly enjoy the current version of regular Eau Sauvage on its own merits and can still recommend it, but the ingredient you disdain so much (oakmoss) actually is what made the vintage juice so great, IMO. I obviously strongly prefer the more substantial structure and overall result of the vintage and don't find it dated one iota.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    The issue I did have with Eau Sauvage, (in the 70's/80's) was that in Great Britain every second man was wearing it. This really put me off wearing it.
    Very true, I think that ruined it for me too. On the other hand, I really like the new Eau Sauvage Parfum. It's really come into its own in the cooler weather.

Always knew I was on to a good thing there. The holy grail for me is to find something that has the same effect for a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    Always knew I was on to a good thing there. The holy grail for me is to find something that has the same effect for a lot longer.
    If you haven't done so already, I would try Dior Granville.

Thanks Marais, will do. This is from the exclusive line that is not available at our department store counters, which is why I have'nt tried Leather Oud yet also; but I will hunt it down if as you say it answers that criterion.

Great, now I have to track dow both versions. Really do want to add this to my collection. Good to know all the versions get high marks.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

No affiliation with seller, just a heads up for those interested. The discontinued Eau Sauvage 100% Glacon now on eBay. Caveat emptor.

I do like the current version, but I have a problem with the lack of oakmoss. There wasn't a ton of it in the original, but there was enough to give the drydown a nice, slightly bitter and grounding "bite" to contrast all the lemony freshness. The reformulation is good for what it is, but I do prefer the old(er) stuff.

I find the Parfum quite nice as well. It would still be better with oakmoss. *grumpy*

Basenotes Plus

Hi subhuman85 -

I fully agree that the lack of Oakmoss in current formulation changes the composition - however the slightly bitter and grounding "bite" was actually from the vetiver more than the oakmoss. A post I found to be very truthful: "The seductive timbre of moss and the indolic twist of jasmine that give Eau Sauvage its deliciously dark facet have been reduced in the current version, along with the clove like warmth in its heart. Today, it is closer to a classical citrus cologne, and the warm skin sensation that I loved about Eau Sauvage is not as obvious."

I have not tried the Parfum, yet. I am a purist and not sure I would purchase it, but it may be interesting to smell. I had a chance and passed on smelling it recently, which is indicative of my interest.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I do like the current version, but I have a problem with the lack of oakmoss. There wasn't a ton of it in the original, but there was enough to give the drydown a nice, slightly bitter and grounding "bite" to contrast all the lemony freshness. The reformulation is good for what it is, but I do prefer the old(er) stuff.

I find the Parfum quite nice as well. It would still be better with oakmoss. *grumpy*
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Look on store counters and you will see Eau Sauvage EDT in the same bottle and same box, but the juice has changed. The oakmoss has been removed due to IFRA (European regulations) which Dior has applied universally. This remakes Eau Sauvage into more of an eau de cologne than a chypre. I think IFRA has actually done Dior a favor here because it eliminates the ingredient that made Eau Sauvage seem so heavy and dated. The reformulation is magnificent, in my opinion. The sparkling citrus, seductive jasmine and grassy vetiver combine to give us a summer's day in a bottle.

If you admired Eau Sauvage but hesitated to buy a bottle because it seemed too mature or out of style or not attractive to younger women, you may be pleasantly surprised. Eau Sauvage has been to the spa, lost some weight and is sporting an up-to-date vibe.
    I absolutely, totally agree with this statement. Eau Sauvage 2013 is a true masterpiece. I always loved the vintage one, but I must say I even prefer that one. Freshest and cleanest scent ever crafted (even thoug, I know, it is all due to regulations...). Smells like pure fresh soapy lemon and shaving cream. I'll wear it 'til I die.

LOVE the Parfum.

Owned the vinatage edt, which was used abt 2 yrs back, the new is good, not as good as the old IMO. Pure parfum is another i own and like it as well - Dior shud change its name to some other, as there's not much similarity betn the current edt and the PP...

I now have an older bottle of ES and must say I like it a lot. The oakmoss gives it substance, a backbone if you will. Some people will find it smells dated. The current ES lacks some backbone IMO but is still very, very good and has a more modern smell to it.

As for its flankers, ES Fraicheur Cuir is very good and hints at the original in its opening before it settles in smooth, suave leather. ES Parfum is a bit of citrus and lots of vetiver and myrrh in the resinous-sweet drydown. Potent stuff, longevity is excellent at 12+ hours. Go easy on the atomiser.
    ES 100% Glaçon smells just like the old ES with some added menthol for the cooling effect.
    I don't have ES Extreme yet, I have smelled a few times but it doesn't float my boat. I might buy it just to have all its flankers.

Just to make it clear, how vintage is Vintage?
    I have seen different box and bottle versions of Eau Sauvage.
    The newest bottle I saw last time at an airport had a magnetic cap.

Are we referring to the latest reformulation here? If not, where does it start?

This is one I want to like but can't. My skin won't allow it. Turns very dated and "Perfumey" on me. All versions. Like an older rich woman's perfume. This and a few others go this way on me and I don't know why.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    ...the slightly bitter and grounding "bite" was actually from the vetiver more than the oakmoss.

ericrico
    Yes. It's renown citrus and spiky herbs notwithstanding, I've long regarded ES as a vetiver.

The latest formulation may be a tad less sauvage, but it is brilliant.

Does it still have the animalic note? I won´t buy it anymore if it doesn´t.

Banned

I love it. Have both edt and Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm lucky: I dislike the original and the reformulation both.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Turns very dated and "Perfumey" on me. All versions. Like an older rich woman's perfume.

I agree.

Gave ES a shot on the reputation of its citrus opening, which is indeed lovely. But the shadow of history is hard to escape, and as a member of the under-30 crowd, ES dries down in way that conjures too many memories of grandfathers and uncles. I don't really believe in something being able to be inherently dated, just that subjectively we're sometimes powerless not to associate scent with certain things, in this case for me the scent of "old people". ES is obviously well constructed and uses fine ingredients, but I just can't pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Does it still have the animalic note? I won´t buy it anymore if it doesn´t.
    I don't get anything animalic from the current version of Eau Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I don't get anything animalic from the current version of Eau Sauvage.

No! Please tell me you´re kidding. This can´t be true, they destroyed a masterpiece of balance. Eau Sauvage (Savage Water) is called Savage Water for a reason. It is animalic. It is the essence of the fragrance. If they took this out, it is not Eau Sauvage anymore.

Animalic? No! Indolic? Yes!

Basenotes Plus

Gentleman -

In all fairness to DanielPlainview, there is a nice musk that is a definitive note in the base of Vintage Eau Sauvage. While not a strong animalic composition - one can pull it out. It goes nicely with the rich Oakmoss (again, Vintage!), slightly bitter, sharp vetiver and nice touch of warm amber. However, yes Beftus - the indolic jasmine is present, but brightened by the use of Hedione (2% in Vintage Eau Sauvage)...likened to a 'sunray hitting a flower'. Here is a brilliant examination of hedione's part in Eau Sauvage by Roudnitska - http://boisdejasmin.com/2005/10/fragrance_ingre-2.html

I would like to say, that both of you have valid points. I have Older Vintage Eau Sauvage ("Cologne") before it was relabeled as "Eau de Toilette"...it is nothing short of spectacular and a very different scent that what is out there today. I see them both as Eau Sauvage, but you cannot and should not try to compare scents that are so different in composition and ingredients. I enjoy both, but Vintage Eau Sauvage is a masterpiece and the current formulation is a nice, fresh scent with a classic vibe.

Cheers to you both,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Beftus View Post
    Animalic? No! Indolic? Yes!

I sample a tester that had a certain oak moss vibe. Then purchased bottle from same store and it had a citrus vibe with none of the moss pungency. I took it back and the sales associate was surprised at the remarkable difference between the two bottles. The tester bottle was smaller and different. She allowed a return of the purchase and sold me the tester. I prefer my fragrance with a bite!