Code of Conduct

Default 1 Million and 1 Million Absolutely Gold: Mini Review and Comparison.

OK, having done a side by side of the original 1 Million EDT and the Pure Parfum, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, I have put together a mini-review/comparison. Please bear in mind that this is my hobby; I am not, nor do I have any ambition to become a professional reviewer!

The two offerings from Paco Rabanne begin in an almost identical fashion, though the initial blast of blood orange from the original is replaced by what smells like mandarine; the feel at this stage is very similar, with the mandarin offering little in the way of contrast to the EDT.

As the scent begins to dry down, it becomes apparent that the PP is much fuller and rounder than the EDT, which, believe it or not, has a more transparent feel next to the new version. It is fair to say that the PP is (in contrast to my initial impressions) projecting more and feels a lot richer and warmer than the original, with the cinnamon playing a vital role in the scent's development and character.

Further into the dry down, the EDT has taken on that astringent metallic note that is one of the main reasons I do not enjoy it. The PP, however, has developed into an almost vanillic amber with the leather note coming through very subtly. In contrast to the synthetic, sweet, metallic accord of the original, the PP now feels slightly more mature and dare I say refined.

All in all, the two fragrances are very similar. If you already own and/or enjoy the original, you will not be adding anything new to your collection by purchasing the Parfum. To the average person, these two fragrances will be almost impossible to tell apart. In fact, I would bet on people assuming that you were wearing the original 1 Million as the DNA is undeniably and disappointingly all too present.

In it's favour, the new version seems to have better staying power, in that you get a more complete version of the scent for longer, and of course, the projection verges on vulgarity.

This is a clubbing scent, much like the original. I used the word 'refined' above; this is all relative to the original version. It is not refined compared to something like Musc Ravageur, Egoiste or Green Irish Tweed, but compared to it's former version, this is a touch more sophisticated.

Would I recommend that you try this? Not really. If you've tried the original 1 Million, you're not missing much. As a professional in my late twenties, I have no place for this in my rotation.

As a collector, it is a nice addition; the packaging is reminiscent of Amouage and the bottle is quirky and fun in it's tackiness.

The only thing stopping this becoming the signature of every young 'un out there will be the higher price point. I can't see this taking off in the same way that the original did; in this case, it is no bad thing.

Scent: 4/10
    Longevity: 9/10
    Projection: 10/10
    Sillage: 10/10
    Buy, Try or Pass: Pass
    Occasion: Clubbing (for me this will be a fragrance to wear around the house if nothing else takes my fancy)
    Age Group: 21 and under or the young at heart!
    Last edited by Fraghead; 1st August 2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Default Re: 1 Million and 1 Million Absolutely Gold: Mini Review and Comparison.

Nice review of both scents.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 Million and 1 Million Absolutely Gold: Mini Review and Comparison.

Excellent review and thank you.

Thanks guys, my pleasure.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Will this ever be widely available?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Will this ever be widely available?
    I believe so. On the Duty Free website, it says (I'm paraphrasing) "Be one of the first to own this fragrance", which tells me that it is an exclusive at the moment but will become more widely available in the future.

Banned

An informative side-by-side. Bravo!

Blog Entries

Thanks Fraghead! Very useful review.

Good review, thanks !

Great review, you essentially had a pretty similar experience to mine.

I have been travelling around for the past month or so and saw this bottle at a few international duty free's. I never paid any attention to it thinking that it was just a full gold bottle of 1M. Then yesterday when travelling through heathrow I was mobbed by a lady selling it. I promptly stated that I had it, but she assured me that I didn't have this one. Its a "new" fragrance and lasts much longer than the old one (wow, what a way to sell one million, what is this? Chemical Weapon status?). Regardless I had a spray as she mentioned it is a pure perfume, hmm, interesting take for sure, a great deep lush scent, that smells very natural and refined to my nose. The price on this one was 55 Pounds, which is very reasonable for a pure perfume - I didn't buy it however as I'm trying to cut my fragrance budget a bit and DHI was to be my Duty Free Purchase.

Unfortunately for this fragrance, the fault is that for any other nose, it will smell exactly like one million, and you will smell exactly like sea of other men who choose this as their fragrance (with good reason, I believe that the original one million is a well done scent). If I didn't have it already I would have picked it up without thinking. If this product wasn't so familiar to the masses and put in a niche bottle, I know that for sure we would have a BN phenomenon on our hands.

I think we should give PR a bit of credit here though. It would have been so easy for them to pump out a One Million Sport and collect enormous amounts of cash. However, they decided to push the boundaries and provide a more refined product which would have cost a bit to produce (seeing as it is a pure perfume).
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Thanks! Now I am truly eager to try Absolutely Gold and get an impression of this.

nice review

I was walking down the hallway on my way to to my office this morning and I could smell this really nice, sweet, vanilla-resin fragrance. It turns out that one of my co-workers is wearing the new Absolute Gold.

I didn't like the original, but I might get a bottle of the parfum version.

Nice review

I really like the Gold - surprised it is not better received