Code of Conduct

Cool The He Wood line by D2Squared: One Good Wood

Fortunately got to smell and, and in a couple cases purchase the He Wood line, thought I'd post a quick comparison/review.

He Wood

Everything about He-Wood is standard fare, and ordinarily I'd recommend it as a safe soapy violet leaf. Unfortunately, the perfumer made two dreadful mistakes. First, presumably due to marketing pressure, she wanted to capture the "essence of the sea" and add some "watery notes". How do you bottle the sea? Simple you add the ubiquitous calone note that gives you that oh so subtle aura of rotting fish and seaweed. God, can't the IFRA ban his crap and leave oakmoss alone, it's single handedly ruined so many fragrances. And calone, like a leech sapping your very life essence, clings to the skin like a barnacle long after the rest of the fragrance has dissipated. Anyone wondering why their beloved aqua di gio starts smelling like rotting soda pop can thank your friend calone. Alas what could have been a respectable violet actually dries down to something cloyingly unwearable.

The second problem with He-Wood has to do with the first flanker in the series, Rocky Mountain Wood.

Rocky Mountain Wood

Rocky Mountain Wood is, to put it bluntly, in every way superior to the original He Wood, it's like they took everything wrong with He Wood and fixed it, they yanked the hideous dollop of Calone (no more rotting fish wood), upped the Cedar, added a gorgeous white pepper note and incense to balance out the heavy violet and voila, He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood. Better smell, superior longevity and a gorgeous spicy woodsy drydown. This now bests Gucci Pour Homme I as the best male cedar bar none.

Ocean Wet Wood

Hmm looks like Alberto Morillas wondered out loud: "what happens if we pump up the calone and tone down everything else. Skip this rubbish it's vile, but mercifully short lived.

He Wood Silver Wind Wood

Hmm so add a ton of vanilla and amber to compete with the teeny bopper Le Male/One Million market...pass, this gratuitous addition of vanilla into everything has to stop. It's cynical and in the end they manage to create something utterly derivative, HiM by Hanae Mori does this kind of sweet spicy wood thing MUCH MUCH better.

So there's only one He Wood worth owning, sadly it's gotten hard to find, my guess is it's discontinued and to be replaced by HE Wood Intense. I have not gotten my nose on He Wood Intense, but based on the reception of Rocky Mountain Wood, my thought (Hope) is they ditched the original formulation and are just rebadging Rocky Mountain Wood to sell at a higher MSRP...one can only hope...
    Last edited by MarquisdeSod; 8th May 2014 at 02:31 AM.

Default Re: The He Wood line by D2Squared: One Good Wood

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations on these.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That's pretty much how I felt about the line also. I only like Rocky Mountain Wood and think it's not only FBW, but one of the best woody fragrances you can own.

Seems as if Rocky Mountain Wood could possibly be discontinued based on rising prices. Would be a shame if true. Here's to hoping He Wood Intense will be a winner.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    Seems as if Rocky Mountain Wood could possibly be discontinued based on rising prices. Would be a shame if true. Here's to hoping He Wood Intense will be a winner.
    He Wood Intense = meh

Got to try it a couple of weeks ago, was pretty disappointed, especially after being so impressed with Potion Royal Black. Couldn't get around the aquatic/floral vibe it gave off as i was expecting a major dose of woods throughout. Its like the original but less powdery. Rocky Mtn Wood and Potion Royal Black the way to go from this house.

I've only tried the original, got rid of my bottle. At first I thought it was a nice citrus vetiver, but then I realized, it just smelled like magic marker. I think the whole men's line is pretty gimmicky, trying to draw men in with their nice bottles, making you think "modern woodsy fragrance". Rocky Mountain may be worth me trying, but I am in no rush with it, and definitley not the rest of the line.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Own Potion, He Wood Rocky Mountain, Ocean Wet Wood and have a nice size sample of Potion Royal Black (With a full bottle of Royal Black on the way). Good purchases.

Enjoy most of their lineup, a surprisingly innovative fragrance brand with equally daring contemporary fragrance- while wood is a fragrance note that will never "go out of fashion", few fragrance houses have ventured to explore woods like Dsquared did and still managed to become successful.

At any rate, thanks for the thread and for sharing these impressions with us.

Basenotes Junkie

Own two from the house - Rocky Mountain and Silver Wind. I think both are excellent fragrances, so no regrets whatsoever. In fact, I was wearing RM this morning. Excellent sillage and longevity and a great woody violet scent...

Silver Wind is much different, but is equally good and equally heavy on vetiver. A bit more powdery though with lavender and vanilla.

I think silver wind is a great fragrance. Love the incense and powdery vanilla.
    Wonderful winter fragrance and the wooden bottles are all great but silver is the nicest with thd mirrored glass. I think the original wood is lovely although im pretty sure they copied another fragrance but i can't remember which one right now.
    I own ocean wet wood and the longevity is pathetic. It's gone in an hour too expensive for what you get...