Code of Conduct

Default Ever hang onto a scent just because...

...your significant other likes it? I was this close to selling off TDH EDT until I wore it last week and she commented "that's my favorite".

Man. She even liked this lastest reformulation. So I guess I hang onto it and wear it for her. I wore it again today on a whim and I just get mad because they watered it down so. I have many she likes but evidently this is her gold standard. It's not that I don't like the smell, it's that I can barely smell it, even an hour or so in.

What about you guys? Any scents where you just wear it occasionally for your loved one when you'd rather just swap/sell it?

Default Re: Ever hang onto a scent just because...

Not really hang on to a scent for her...more or less forced to wear it. My girlfriend loves Mont Blanc Legend and makes me wear it on a regular basis. It's ok...but the dry down gets kinda weirdly synthetic after the 4 or 5 hour mark. When I sold a lot of fragrances she said I better not get rid of three things: Legend, Dior Homme Sport and surprisingly Gucci pour Homme I...

Bond No. 9 Washington Square was one of those I kept just because. When I initially purchased it (decant), I really liked it. My girl loves this stuff. I grew tired of it, but kept it in the stash.

Basenotes Plus

It's sort of the opposite in my house - I keep hold of stuff she would rather I got rid of

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Not really hang on to a scent for her...more or less forced to wear it. My girlfriend loves Mont Blanc Legend and makes me wear it on a regular basis. It's ok...but the dry down gets kinda weirdly synthetic after the 4 or 5 hour mark. When I sold a lot of fragrances she said I better not get rid of three things: Legend, Dior Homme Sport and surprisingly Gucci pour Homme I...
    My wife likes Legend, too!

I hang on to all my scents whether or not they are celebrated or frowned upon by others in my immediate family.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I hang on to all my scents whether or not they are celebrated or frowned upon by others in my immediate family.
    This. I wear some things more / less than I normally would based on her likes, but I don't get rid of anything really anyway...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    ...your significant other likes it?
    What about you guys? Any scents where you just wear it occasionally for your loved one when you'd rather just swap/sell it?
    Yeah, sometimes. One example that comes to mind is Amouage Reflection Man. I don't care for it much, but my wife really likes it on me.

Almost stopped wearing Burberry London Chuck because of the longevity issues....glad I didn't because the wife told me that her favorite.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Oh yeah absolutely! The ones that come to mind first is Mont Blanc Individuel, Usher He and Seduction in Black
    Last edited by bigbz; 9th May 2014 at 12:00 AM.

Midnight in Paris comes to mind.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Basenotes Plus

My SO doesn't care for fragrances, but has commented that of all the things I have, I should keep "that cedar fragrance"... which happens to be GpH I and Christian Lacroix Tumulte Pour Homme (he doesn't know which one is which, just likes them both), and last week mentioned "that sandalwood" - it was Tam Dao EDP. Others - he almost never makes any comments about, unless they are too strong, too flowery, or too weird. And I don't do flowery, so go figure.

Chuck - just wanted to say that despite what you perceive as short longevity of TdH EDT, it actually does last a very long time. I wore it yesterday and it lasted a good 12+ hours. Sometimes, some scents we are more anosmic to than others - I can definitely detect this one for a very long time, even this current "watered down" version. You may not be so lucky and I can understand that. I have the same problem with other fragrances that others say last a long time but I get 3-5 hours from them, max. Heck, Chanel's Eau de Cologne, a fairly weak composition, lasts 8+ hours on me and I can definitely smell it after 8 hours. Ask your wife after 8+ hours whether she can still smell TdH on you - I bet you she can. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    My SO doesn't care for fragrances, but has commented that of all the things I have, I should keep "that cedar fragrance"... which happens to be GpH I and Christian Lacroix Tumulte Pour Homme (he doesn't know which one is which, just likes them both), and last week mentioned "that sandalwood" - it was Tam Dao EDP. Others - he almost never makes any comments about, unless they are too strong, too flowery, or too weird. And I don't do flowery, so go figure.

Chuck - just wanted to say that despite what you perceive as short longevity of TdH EDT, it actually does last a very long time. I wore it yesterday and it lasted a good 12+ hours. Sometimes, some scents we are more anosmic to than others - I can definitely detect this one for a very long time, even this current "watered down" version. You may not be so lucky and I can understand that. I have the same problem with other fragrances that others say last a long time but I get 3-5 hours from them, max. Heck, Chanel's Eau de Cologne, a fairly weak composition, lasts 8+ hours on me and I can definitely smell it after 8 hours. Ask your wife after 8+ hours whether she can still smell TdH on you - I bet you she can. ;-)
    You are 100% right. After 12 hours today she complimented me when I got home tonight. Go figure. She loves it.

I'm currently single because the last girl I dated told me she didn't like Aventus. I'm content with my decision.

Obviously I'm kidding. I've never held on to, or gotten rid of something because of someone else's taste. I did swap for a bottle of Lacoste Pour Homme because the girl I was dating at the time said it was her favorite, but I couldn't stand the stuff, and quickly got rid of it.

Basenotes Plus

She likes whatever scents I like. I'd better hang on to her.

No. Actually my lady does not like most of the scents I love the most - but she does not care and does not complain.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

We always have a nose through duty-free and test a few things out. She liked Heritage, which I like too, but I have tired of it, so am selling it on. She also liked Gucci Gucci pour homme, which I couldn't even smell! Didn't get that. We both liked TF extreme, so I purchased a bottle of that. I think she only comments when she really likes something, as opposed to actively disliking stuff.

I wear Armani Code on rare occasion because my wife likes it. I keep everything I buy, and store the current "out of favor" in a closet.

I keep what I like, even barnyard Hindi Ouds
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Not so far, but if the fragrances are liked/complimented by the SO, it is an added bonus. Other than that, I keep, own and (more or less regularly) use the fragrances I like.

I love all my fragrances.... but as far as the wife goes...To her they are either good. ot you smell like Kenny Rogers.... It kins of sucks because sometimes i'll wqan to wear an egoiste, cravache, Royal Scottish Lavender and the wife doesn't see those as sophisticated scents with the meddling of Lavender, oak moss, petigrain, etc.... She just see's fragrances in 2 ways...Old man (kenny Rogers) or young man fresh scents.