Code of Conduct

Default Buying habits; do you get hauls or space it out?

Hi,

Say for example you've decided upon five or so perfumes you really like and want to purchase next and you have the funds; do you buy them all in one go or do you space them out over a month or two?

The reason I ask is I've recently acquired quite a few new perfumes, some I haven't even used and I appear to be overlooking them on the chase for what I want next.

So now I've made the decision I'm going to space any new perfume acquisitions out giving me the time to enjoy and properly sample and appreciate the new perfume.

There's no right or wrong way, I'm just curious as to what everyone else does and why?

Default Re: Buying habits; do you get hauls or space it out?

Well, my experience is also that buying more perfumes at a time makes me long for the next ones soon so that after all I end up buying more and faster. So, I also try to stick more or less to monthly budget. Makes sense to me to have some more control.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, my experience is also that buying more perfumes at a time makes me long for the next ones soon so that after all I end up buying more and faster. So, I also try to stick more or less to monthly budget. Makes sense to me to have some more control.

WELL, I'm new to this journey and have just splashed out £190.00 for samples after making a 'bad' blind buy based on reviews alone. My head says this is the right way to do it but my pocket is bruised because I'm in a rush to find my elusive signature frag- I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to want, need and must have the most expensive one or perhaps even have to keep searching for my own holy grail, which probably doesn't exist!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I usually buy one or two a month if I find something I like just because, as you said it gives you time to get to know those frags plus I don't have the funds to go out and splurge on five or six frags at a time. I have a mortgage and other bills to pay.
    It's best to take it slow in the beginning and do a lot of sampling first before going out and buying full bottles or else you mat blind buy a stinker you don't like and lose money.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    WELL, I'm new to this journey and have just splashed out £190.00 for samples after making a 'bad' blind buy based on reviews alone. My head says this is the right way to do it but my pocket is bruised because I'm in a rush to find my elusive signature frag- I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to want, need and must have the most expensive one or perhaps even have to keep searching for my own holy grail, which probably doesn't exist!
    Wowsers, £190 on samples? Where (and more importantly what) did you do that?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

sorry, double post! The website is acting slowly and oddly today for me.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 26th November 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I space my purchases apart. I like to read up on the fragrance first, view some reviews and then sample. After that I may go for it. One purchase, one love affair, at a time.

I buy all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Wowsers, £190 on samples? Where (and more importantly what) did you do that?
    5ml Invasion Barbare - £17.50
    10ml Noir de Noir - £22
    10ml Jubilation XXV - £30
    1ml Black Tourmaline £3.25
    2ml Carnal Flower £6
    5ml Derby (vintage)- £22.50
    2ml Dior Homme Intense £7
    2ml Memoir Man - £7.50
    2ml Musc Ravageur £6.50
    5ml Opus VI - £20
    5ml Portrait of a Lady - £17.50
    5ml Spiritueuse Double Vanille - £20
    Recorded delivery £4.15
    Last edited by suds; 26th November 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

10ml Noir de Noir - £22
    2ml Carnal Flower £6
    2ml Memoir Man - £7.50
    2ml Musc Ravageur £6.50
    5ml Opus VI - £20
    Recorded delivery £4.15
    I see you went for a lot of niche frags and in decants. That would explain it. Enjoy!

For me if I have the money I usually get fragrances one at a time unless there's a huge sale or whatever

If I'm on a budget I get fragrances after a huge period of stressful times to reward myself For example personally I'm gonna reward myself with Eau Duelle after I complete my next presentation

I mostly space them out. Unfortunately sometimes I only space them out by a week and continue the pattern for several weeks.

2 months is about the longest I've gone without getting anything.

5 frags is the most I've bought at once, but they were fairly inexpensive (all under $40).

There was a time when I was averaging about 6-8 a month. That's way too much if you ask me. I don't do that anymore.

However, this month I've bought 3, which makes me a little uneasy.

I definitely think spacing them out is the way to go when you're beginning.

It depends on the cost and what I'm "looking for"
    If there is one specific fragrance I have been wanting, I tend to space things out.
    If over time I decide not to purchase a few fragrances, then suddenly decide I want them all, I'll purchase a haul! Although, my hauls have never exceeded 4 bottles and some samples

I've been loading up on samples and adding to my Buy list when I find something awesome. Then...if I stumble across one on my list that's at a sweet price (and still something I can afford at that time), I go for it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

I've concluded that:

1) I get a big lift from the imminent prospect of buying something.
    2) The lift is no bigger if I buy more than one thing.

So I try to make a point of spacing out purchases. In fact, I'll push a purchase off and off and off, because it seems to be the "imminent prospect" that's fun. Once I make the purchase, it's no longer imminent.

Now, there are exceptions--for example, we just went on vacation, with the first urban shopping I've experienced in many months, so I bought stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by P77 View Post
    Hi,
    The reason I ask is I've recently acquired quite a few new perfumes, some I haven't even used and I appear to be overlooking them on the chase for what I want next.
    You can use what you've gotten already (whether by mail or at the B&M) till your next one arrives.

I guess you'll be buying online and I doubt you'll receive it the next day.

for swap/sale:

10ml Noir de Noir - £22
    2ml Carnal Flower £6
    2ml Memoir Man - £7.50
    2ml Musc Ravageur £6.50
    5ml Opus VI - £20
    Recorded delivery £4.15
    Wow, I can see how you did that. Nice selection, could you tell me where you got them?

Wow, I can see how you did that. Nice selection, could you tell me where you got them?
    I honestly don't know whether he did me a favour or whether he would be happy to do this 'on demand' as it's probably quite time consuming - If you don't mind I'll ask the question and post the answer later. Must add- at the moment I'm and I'm ignoring my bruised wallet.

i usually space them out so i have time to "get to know" each one.

Apologies for hijacking thread- samples were from Kron (see splits board)...BTW I normally spread purchases out on FBs but then again my wife thinks I'm becoming too 'predictable' (my choice of word!) so every now and them I splurge and leave the receipt on the kitchen table.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Very good selection of samples, which in all honesty should keep you smelling great for months! Your next full bottle can wait while your wallet recovers from the bruises.

I do a little of both. But I prefer hauls. Nothing like buying and waiting for 20 bottles to come in

I know I should probably space them out but I really prefer hauls. :-)

An even mix of both, not ashamed to say that often, while I do have quite a clear plan about future purchases, I do however often act on an impulse and this decides very often the quantity and the variety of my scent purchases.