Code of Conduct

Default Zino by Davidoff

I just Blind bought this on the great reviews it had on here, I really have wanted something with a rose note so I could pair my sample of rose shaving cream by trumpers, How noticable is the rose note, do you think they will go well together? And what should I be instore for with Zino by davidoff

Default Re: Zino by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    And what should I be in store for with Zino by Davidoff
    An overall wonderful experience.

I'm excited for this

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan although I have not tried the reformulation. Bigsly says it is missing the sandalwood accord of the vintage, which is all I have. Every time I wear it, I find more and more to appreciate. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

The rose is very subdued, this is not a typical rose fragrance as those marketed to women. So I think it will pair off really well with your shaving cream. As for the rest, I find it a really nice masculine patch frag.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

personally, i'm not a big fan of this

tried many times but just couldn't wear it

now my bottle is sitting there collecting dust
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Post Thanks / Like

It's a challenging fragrance and like Monkeybars said the more you wear it the more you'll appreciate it.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Great fragrance but I dont think that rose is main player there.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Post Thanks / Like

.......How noticable is the rose note.....
    Think geranium instead of rose.

.......And what should I be instore for with Zino by davidoff
    A distinctive, sultry, high-quality oriental. Great compositional balance, good olfactory density and viscosity, richness without heaviness, etc.......

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone care to point me in the direction of a legitimate bottle? I see plenty on Ebay, but who knows if they're authentic...?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if any are fakes as it's just not popular enough to warrant copying. Look at the 'Davidoff' writing on the boxes / bottles - if it's block font it's the newer (reformulated) version, if it's in script font it's the vintage (original).

I love Zino and have both versions - we're not talking photo-realistic rose here but it's definitely there. Zino is dusty and dark and has the same 'fizzy' top end as Guerlain Heritage & Escada Pour Homme. The rose element reminds me a little of its treatment in Azzaro Acteur but Zino is dustier and drier with vanilla and a little civet which gives it depth and a slightly 'dirty' edge. It's a complex fragrance which gives something different each time it's worn. Don't get too hung up on the vintage .v. reformulation issue. I had the newer version first and still wear it more than the vintage. Longevity is very good (8hrs+) and it projects like a madman for a couple of hours before calming down into something softer, powdery and more discreet. I'm sure you will love it SpicyPepper!

The reviews here are rather mixed, aren't they? I'd rather wear Mesmerize for Men than the new Zino but the original is one of my favorites. The reason is that the incense/sandalwood element "cuts" the heaviness and provides contrast, whereas in the new one there is a kind of heavy, fuzzy quality (with the lavender not being "cut" by anything) that irritates me.

Post Thanks / Like

It's more a sort of a muted, perceptible yet discreet rose, almost totally overwhelmed by boozy, slightly "goth", quite powerhouse notes of leather, musk and even some tobacco-like hint, yet, even after the rose top notes fade and evaporate, smooth and extremely refined, additional rose notes seem to develop on skin (at least, this is what I can tell after various testing/sampling experiences with Zino).

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. TL
    Anyone care to point me in the direction of a legitimate bottle? I see plenty on Ebay, but who knows if they're authentic...?
    I think I see a solution on the horizon here

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute favorite fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great fragrance and a true powerhouse. I originally wore it in the late Eighties and revisited it three or four years ago.

I still wear it, but to me there is something of it's time about it. It screams "EIGHTIES" to me and makes me think of mullets and medallions. Ah, back when I still had hair...

Damned fine stuff, though.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Thanks for all the help I hope I like it or I might have it on the sale block haha

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help I hope I like it or I might have it on the sale block haha
    Hit me up if ya do! Maybe we'll swap. It's so inexpensive, and I heard that it's being discontinued entirely, so I'm down to stock up. "Nothing to soften the lavender" in the reformulation sounds like it might be interesting to me (while Mesmerize's "apple" sounds like a fail for me).

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Hit me up if ya do! Maybe we'll swap. It's so inexpensive, and I heard that it's being discontinued entirely, so I'm down to stock up. "Nothing to soften the lavender" in the reformulation sounds like it might be interesting to me (while Mesmerize's "apple" sounds like a fail for me).
    I'm not a top notes person so I get no apple. With reformulated Zino, it's not a sharp lavender but a fuzzy, "blob" accord with clear lavender, something I find awful but it certainly seems to have its appeal with others.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    It's more a sort of a muted, perceptible yet discreet rose, almost totally overwhelmed by boozy, slightly "goth", quite powerhouse notes of leather, musk and even some tobacco-like hint
    Agree about a tobacco-like impression. But I do not get leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post

Same here, but only worse.... Rose? Not at all in my bottle. I am sure I've had the reformulated one because I just can't understand all the "fuzz" for it. Sorry... One of my worst blind buys ever! (Zino has now got a new home with my brother, lucky for Zino)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The reviews here are rather mixed, aren't they? I'd rather wear Mesmerize for Men than the new Zino but the original is one of my favorites. The reason is that the incense/sandalwood element "cuts" the heaviness and provides contrast, whereas in the new one there is a kind of heavy, fuzzy quality (with the lavender not being "cut" by anything) that irritates me.
    I agree 100% with Bigsly. I would rather wear mesmerize than Zino anyday. I liked the current formula of Zino but I found it lacking in Longevity and overall scent structure. The funny thing is when I wore Zino I was wishing I was wearing mesmerize because I think mesmerize holds its own in longevity and just overall smell. Both are great fragrances but mesmerize is a better deal considering it's price. Hopes this helps.

I don't understand the difference between the vintage and reformulated version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ... than the new Zino but the original is one of my favorites. The reason is that the incense/sandalwood element "cuts" the heaviness and provides contrast, whereas in the new one there is a kind of heavy, fuzzy quality (with the lavender not being "cut" by anything) that irritates me.
    I definitely agree about the Lavender in the 'reformulation'. I've only tried the block-letter Davidoff, but I will say it is missing something to "cut" it. I get heavy top notes of Lavender drying down to a Geranium and ending with Vanilla... with a very heavy Patchouli wave the entire way. I've found that using a bit of unscented lotion after applying at pulse points (2 sprays total) gives it a much needed tone-down. Otherwise it has a tendency to come across too strong and too dark. Just as 'Ken_Russell' pointed out, it is very much a "goth" scent reminiscent of all things black. Zino can be a love-hate type cologne, with too much one can easily ruin a fantastic combination of olfactory zen. Very 1980's, but a really mysterious and masculine scent (if used sparingly). LOTS of compliments come with the territory

I don't understand the difference between the vintage and reformulated version.
    As a newbie I was clueless as well. I just kept studying frags and over times things started to "click."

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Zino Davidoff is, in Original/Vintage formulation, one of the most unique and incredible bottles of fragrance one can find in the price range. It is known for its infamous "dirty rose" note - the connotation being that the rose is not a fresh bloom in a crystal vase, but a deep-colored red rose in the middle of a dark, earthy forest. The rose note is made 'dirty' by the wood, patchouli, the incense plume found in Vintage, and warm vanilla. The other key notes are clary sage, lavender (which I find smooth) and florals that include geranium, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley. Imagine a walk in a dark forest along a trail lit by moonlight after a light rain. The smell of the loam in the soil, the earthy patchouli and trees swaying in the breeze. The smell of a clove cigarette wisps in the air (really more of an incense note, but similar). You come to a clearing and find a small flower garden left behind. In the center of the damp plants is a partially open, long-stem, deep, red rose. Your nose is drawn to it...the earthiness and smell of the forest's wood surround the note, but you get a dark rose note that is unique unto itself. Deep, rich, mysterious and wonderful. I believe it to be one of the top scents from the house of Davidoff and incredibly sensual. This is not overly refined - it actually feels like great raw ingredients are in here. It is truly wonderful and creates an inviting aura of scent around you.

One of my wife's favorite scents...and, Johnny Depp's signature scent.

You can get the Block DAVIDOFF logo bottle, but it has been reformulated. While the top notes are still rich with rosewood, lavender, clary sage and the rose is brought more forward...I get a more 'creamy' vibe with this and mostly top and heart notes. Longevity is not as good, but it wears well in a layered wearing with Vintage Script Logo Zino...which feels deeper, richer and has much better longevity.

Good luck and enjoy. I, personally, adore it. Vintage Acteur is also wonderful...but different.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 26th October 2012 at 06:28 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to wear the new version today and see how it compares. Wore the original a lot back in the day. The one spray I put on my arm on Tuesday was pretty awesome (new version).

Out of my wardrobe the only one that I associate with a rose note is the dirty-rose-cumin blend of Alexander McQueen Kingdom (which I'm completely enamored with). Anyone of you own both? What the difference between Zino's Rose and Kingdom's? I'm waiting for a push for me to bite the bullet with a haul from the fragrancex site, and that includes Zino, albeit a small one.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice writeup eric.

funhuntr, Kingdom is much softer and more floral, and of course the cumin is totally absent from Zino. Zino is much more crisp, aromatic and masculine, and to me the civet and musk provide a more hazy, animalic vibe. I don't see all that much relation between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not the seller nor do I have any connection to pimp this seller. I just happen to be looking through this guys inventory and saw Zino and remembered this thread from this morning. Seems like good deal and they are claiming authentic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZINO-by-Davi...&forceRpt=true
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen better prices, especially for the 4.2oz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Im not the seller nor do I have any connection to pimp this seller. I just happen to be looking through this guys inventory and saw Zino and remembered this thread from this morning. Seems like good deal and they are claiming authentic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZINO-by-Davi...&forceRpt=true
    That is a great deal. Free shipping and great feedback. Good tip.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a bottle, and it's great stuff. For anyone in the UK, CheapSmells has the 125ml/4.2oz bottle for £26.35...

http://www.cheapsmells.com/productPa...ino%20Davidoff
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    That is a great deal. Free shipping and great feedback. Good tip.
    Thanks. They have the 4.2 on there too I believe!The selection in that ebay store isn't bad.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

My nose interprets an overpowering honey note with this fragrance. While I rate it highly for its originality, I find it for me personally unwearable.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    My nose interprets an overpowering honey note with this fragrance. While I rate it highly for its originality, I find it for me personally unwearable.
    Yes I noticed that, just like there is an impression of tobacco, the civet, musk and vanilla give a honey-like impression. I'm actually a little surprised that more BNers don't find Zino overpowering. It's rather old-fashioned.

You can pick Zino 125ml up in the UK at Wilkinsons store for £20.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mens-fr...hW0Ch07dAAAEAA

They are also selling Silver Shadow Altitude 50ml for just £12!

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly a powerhouse.
    I used this scent in the eighties and just re bought it again,
    but....I prefer Davidoff Classic. (grey box)