Code of Conduct

Wink cheaper alternatives to sweet fruity college cologne like fuel of life?

Sorry for another "I am new to the world of cologne threads" that pops up every once in a while by novices who happen to find this forum and scour the pages to try and find a good first scent to purchase. As a poor college student, I only have a ~$45 cap, but am really looking to spend $20-$30. After trying out many colognes at an outing to Sephora before discovering this forum Fuel for Life really stood out to me. I tried L'eau D'issey pour homme, bleu de chanel, terre, lacoste essential, bvgari aqua, ysl gingembre/l'homme, and some other things that did not really stand out.

Amongst the ones I tried, I instantly gravitated towards Fuel for Life because of its younger, sweeter smell. Lacoste Essential was a close second but it didn't quite have the richness of FFL. Now that I have looked through the forum I see many colognes that are recommended as young, good smelling colognes for younger college kids which are quite affordable like Voyage, Rochas Man, PE 360 (AdG copy?), Chrome, Versace Pour Homme, Live Jazz, Kouros Body, Givenchy Play/Pi, Rive Gauche, Bvgari black, Burberry Touch, L'instant, Mugler Cologne, Le 3rd Caron, Azzaro, etc.

I like FFL but it is a little out of my price range. I want an everyday scent that is sweet and pleasant, and do find FFL a little too sweet and nauseating, but like the fruitiness (grapefruit) mixed with the lavender. It would be perfect if it the sweetness were toned down just a little and it were a little cheaper.

What do you guys think. Should I just get FFL or is there something along the same lines? I haven't smelt many colognes, and of the ones I have only FFL really have me a wow this smells good reaction. I'm tempted to just blind buy Rochas Man, but I don't know if I'll like the coffee undertones.

Another question is where can I find cheap samples? Ebay has some, but even those are not that cheap, ~7 each.

Thanks!

edit: adding Versace Eau Fraiche, La Nuit and Black XS to the mix of possible ones.
    Last edited by anonymous23; 3rd December 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Default Re: cheaper alternatives to sweet fruity college cologne like fuel of life?

I'd consider Rochas Man.

Default Re: cheaper alternatives to sweet fruity college cologne like fuel of life?

CK One Shock for Him will be perfect for you.

Meets all of your criteria.

I found a 3.4oz at Marshalls for $25. I continue to see it at that price in Marshalls and TJMaxx, some have even reported finding 6.7oz for $25.

basenote reviews has ck one shock described as a cherry flavor. i abhor cough medicine smell or anything that remotely resembles cherry syrup. There are so many options that it's a little bit overwhelming, especially not having tried many of them.

Just get Diesel FFL. Finding a "replacement" scent rarely works. When you find something you really like more often than not only the original will suffice. You can find it within your price range here..

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Use coupon code "free" for free shipping.

Another vote for Ck One Shock, apart from being affordable, highly unlikely to go wrong with this affordable, yet trendy versatile, youthful gourmand scent.

Cheap, fruity, nice, excellent longevity: Lapidus pour homme.
    One of the few sweet "powerhouse" frags

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Just get Diesel FFL. Finding a "replacement" scent rarely works. When you find something you really like more often than not only the original will suffice. You can find it within your price range here..

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Use coupon code "free" for free shipping.
    +1. Chances are even after finding a replacement..you will eventually buy the real-deal. Might as well save the money and buy FFL.
    Also another vote for CK One Shock, in respect to it being a young fruity, college fragrance (I don't get a cherry smell out of it).

You could also try Diesel Plus Plus which is less than $15 a bottle. It smells like creamy skittles.

I agree with others on buying the orignal. I don't see that CKS is much less expensive than that.
    You might want to consider buying online. Prices aren't that high.
    I also recommend Jacomo for men (silver). This one has a fruity top and a subtle coffee and ambry sweetness in the base. Also, perhaps Armani Attitude and Polo Black might not be bad either although probably weaker than FFL.

I'm going to Sephora in the near future. Any recommendations to try?
    Also, I go to school in Boston if that helps.

Thanks for all the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous23 View Post
    I'm going to Sephora in the near future. Any recommendations to try?
    Also, I go to school in Boston if that helps.

Thanks for all the responses!
    Check out Lacoste Blanc (White) while you're there.
    Boss Bottled (6) is not as sweet, but it's more of a sophisticated college scent in my opinion.
    D&G The One has been called "tropical/fruity" a few times, I agree. However, it doesn't last long...at all.
    1 Million - Paco Rabanne (try this first, and you will need to double your budget for this one, unfortunately. I picked up a used bottle, 100ml 90% full for about $45..or $40, whatever it was).
    That's all I can think of for now, but will post some more if anything comes to mind.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 4th December 2012 at 07:39 AM.

Hugo - Hugo Boss

Joop! Jump
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

The ones that really stuck out to me as ones I'd like to purchase were Diesel FFL (again!), Givenchy Play, Armani Code, Burberry Brit, and Lacoste Essential Sport. We tried all the stuff they had at Sephora and Bloomingdales today. Creed Spring Flower and MI smelled pretty good to me. Did not like very much else other than Bleu de Chanel, D&G the One, and maybe Bvgari Black.
    Last edited by anonymous23; 5th December 2012 at 06:58 AM.

Bulgari Black is really nice. But if you're sure you like FFL, it might just be the easiest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Bulgari Black is really nice.
    It sure is! Burberry Brit is also very nice, and would be my choice from your list...but I still think you should buy FFL, especially now that you've tried it, and liked it again.

do you know where I can try CK1 Shock, Body Kouros, or Live Jazz?

Couldn't find PE 360 Red at either Sephora or Bloomys either.
    Last edited by anonymous23; 8th December 2012 at 05:05 PM.