Code of Conduct

Default Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013

Anyone tried this one? How does it compare to previous releases?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013

Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 28th March 2013 at 01:33 AM.

Not yet. Haven't seen it available where I live yet. Notes look refreshing though.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not yet. Haven't seen it available where I live yet. Notes look refreshing though.
    kiwi and pineapple...not gonna lie, i got a boner when i read the notes

I am really interested in what this smells like, wish I had a store around me that sells it. Hopefully someone will try it out and post their thoughts on it.

The notes read like they are taking a somewhat different direction from previous summer versions; the fruits listed sounds wonderful. I'm very excited about this one, and hopefully will have a chance to test it out this week.

According to Nordstrom's website, they have it in stock locally. I may have to give this one a sniff.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

It sounds good, I was going to pick up the Sport version for this summer because I'm not so much a fan of the regular pour homme so interested as to what someone says about it.

They had it at Macys, but no tester.

I took a quick trip over to Nordstrom, and I must say, I'm kind of baffled by what I'm smelling in this one. It doesn't remind me of anything I've smelled by Issey Miyake other than that it's bright and fresh.

Because it has pineapple, I guarantee we're only minutes away from someone using the A word here, but L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013 doesn't smell anything like that. The closest similarities I can come up with are that the vibe kind of reminds me of a lighter Bleecker Street or a fresher Bvlgari Aqva, which is odd since it shares none of the same notes.

I must admit, I'm tempted to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I took a quick trip over to Nordstrom, and I must say, I'm kind of baffled by what I'm smelling in this one. It doesn't remind me of anything I've smelled by Issey Miyake other than that it's bright and fresh.

Because it has pineapple, I guarantee we're only minutes away from someone using the A word here, but L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013 doesn't smell anything like that. The closest similarities I can come up with are that the vibe kind of reminds me of a lighter Bleecker Street or a fresher Bvlgari Aqva, which is odd since it shares none of the same notes.

Would you say if one already owns Bleecker Street this would be a pass? Also how is the pineapple note in it?

I have a bottle of Pure Havane on hold at Macy's and the SA said she will open up a bottle for me to smell when I come in tomorrow. Good customer service still exists.

One of the most overhyped fragrances in existence. I don't see how kiwi and pineapple can make this smell like anything other than lemon dishwashing liquid.

Having said that, I gave this bottle away in favour of Lacoste Essential so my nose may be a bit different to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Would you say if one already owns Bleecker Street this would be a pass? Also how is the pineapple note in it?
    There's not much pineapple in it. In fact, I suspect this is using an aroma chemical that's also in Bleecker. They're not the same, but there's a similarity.

If you own Bleecker but sometimes find it too heavy for the summer, this could be a good buy. Otherwise, I'd pass... but really, you should put your own nose to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodastream View Post
    One of the most overhyped fragrances in existence. I don't see how kiwi and pineapple can make this smell like anything other than lemon dishwashing liquid.

Having said that, I gave this bottle away in favour of Lacoste Essential so my nose may be a bit different to most.
    L'Eau d'Issey Summer 2013 has been OVERHYPED? Where have you seen any hype for this? I haven't seen any reviews or hype at all, anywhere. This thread was the first I'd heard of it, and google searches didn't provide much first hand info. How long could you have possibly owned it? This is so new that many stores don't even have testers out for it yet.

I guess one thread on one message board is overhype?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Ahh..the nose of a new member.

Guess sodastream means L'eau d'Issey has already had numerous flankers over the years since the original came out in the 90's. L'eau d'Issey should earn a role in Cloud Atlas, the movie.

Thanks for the update, L'Homme. Hopefully my Nordstroms has a tester, since this has been on my radar for a couple weeks now.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I'm now 9 hours into wearing LDph Summer2013 on my left arm. On my right, for the sake of comparison, I sprayed Bleecker St. It's not quite a fair comparison since I applied them over three hours apart, which means by the time I sprayed Bleecker, LDphSummer 2013 had developed into its heart... which means I was smelling Bleecker top notes compared to this scent's mid notes. For a fair comparison, they need to be applied at the same time. But you know that.

Still, there's a similarity. As I said, I believe they both use a particular aroma chemical (a chemical which is also used in Bvlgari Aqva). L'Eau d'Issey PH Summer 2013 smells lighter, fresher and a bit fruitier, but there's a similarity my nose can't help noticing.

Notes are such an interesting piece of marketing. Aroma chemicals are almost never listed by name among fragrance notes. Instead, the notes list what the aroma chemicals smell most like. But if you've ever dabbled with perfumery and aroma chemicals, you know they aren't clones of natural smells. And you probably know that's not necessarily a bad thing. Terre D'hermes is a perfect example. TdH is a perfume that, beforedilution, contains 55% Iso E Super. But Iso E Super isn't listed among the notes. Instead, they mention citrus and cedar, which just so happens to be what Iso E Super smells like (plus a hint of pepper, which is also in the TdH notes).

My point? I'm not convinced L'Eau d'Issey PH Summer 2013 really has pineapple in it. I suspect the marketing people at Issey Miyake decided that the aroma chemical in question has a sort of pineapple-ish scent, and pineapple is (in my opinion) on the verge of being a trendy note in men's scents. Thus, they say this has pineapple. But if you smell Bleecker with the intent of finding pineapple in there, I bet you could. Well blended scents become more than the sum of their parts to the point where the parts become indistinguishable.

I could be totally wrong, but... here's my advice: ignore the notes for this one. Give it a sniff and see what you think. To my nose, it's a very nice summery scent. And priced at $64 for 125 ml, it's not a bad deal. That being said, I've only had the chance to wear it once.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Guess sodastream means L'eau d'Issey has already had numerous flankers over the years since the original came out in the 90's. L'eau d'Issey should earn a role in Cloud Atlas, the movie.
    In other words, he's judging a scent he hasn't smelled yet based on the "L'eau d'Issey" part of its name. That's never wise. L'Eau d'Issey was (and still is) a big seller. Sure, Issey Miyake could have released this Summer 2013 scent under its own name rather than as a flanker of L'Eau d'Issey... but perfumery is a business, and they probably decided this would be easier to sell under the L'Eau d'Issey name. If you're one of those 'judge a book by its cover' people, I guess you don't need to bother smelling this or anything else released as a flanker. But me? I know better than to fall for marketing. They could have named this Mississippi Mud for all I care. Perfume is about the smell of the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Anyone tried this one? How does it compare to previous releases?
    For what it is, I thought it was cool. But it was very similar to the one from last year...and the year before...ect.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Thanks for the review. My local Nordstrom had bottles in stock but no tester, but I like the way this sounds so far. I already have the original and last year's summer flanker, so I'm hoping this is markedly different from those.

I have summer 2009, unopened...was thinking of opening it up this spring/summer. Anybody know if 2013 is different enough from 2009 to warrant a purchase?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I have summer 2009, unopened...was thinking of opening it up this spring/summer. Anybody know if 2013 is different enough from 2009 to warrant a purchase?

Thanks.
    Tried it today, and I think you'd be perfectly fine sticking with your 2009. I was hoping for something different, but all the Summer Isseys smell the same to me.

I think the range is ok. Still keep the original only though

According to Nordstrom's website, they have it in stock locally. I may have to give this one a sniff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    They had it at Macys, but no tester.
    Do you guys remember the prices there?

Quote Originally Posted by lowplaces View Post
    It sounds good, I was going to pick up the Sport version for this summer because I'm not so much a fan of the regular pour homme so interested as to what someone says about it.
    I felt the same way about the original and was going to buy the sport until I came across this. I personally think its better than the sport.

^^Agreed. Definitely better than Sport.

My Nordstrom just got a sample bottle yesterday and I got the first sniff. Pretty nice. Wish I had sprayed my wrist but at least I got a sample. Want to try this one soon but it has turned cold and rainy. Will wait for a sunny day. First impression is that it is a nice summer scent .
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I went to Macy's today and sniffed it out. I actually have it on my skin now. It's definitely decent, but it has that super synthetic vibe that many designer fragrances have on my skin. It's also that default fruity smell, though the kiwi is somewhat noticeable. It's not bad, but not something I'll be buying.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I went to Macy's today and sniffed it out. I actually have it on my skin now. It's definitely decent, but it has that super synthetic vibe that many designer fragrances have on my skin. It's also that default fruity smell, though the kiwi is somewhat noticeable. It's not bad, but not something I'll be buying.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking too. I gave it another wear yesterday. It smells like a fruitier version of L'eau D'Issey Sport. I like it on clothes, but on my skin it seems very synthetic*. I compared it before to Bvlgari Aqva and Bleecker Street. I think they all share an aroma chemical in common, and whatever it is, it smells great yet it isn't a smell I want on skin. There's something so odd about it.

EDITED TO ADD: *I said 'synthetic' above, but that probably is the wrong word. Maybe unnatural is the word I'm looking for? This stuff smells great, but there's something in it that doesn't smell quite right on my skin. I can still smell it on my shirt from yesterday though and that smells great. Funny how skin and fabric can differ.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 8th April 2013 at 01:16 AM.

Most every scent uses aerochemicals. I don't care. In this world of regulations there are few natural perfumers. I would guess that a particular house that claims to use natural ingredients also uses aerochemicals. So for me, if it smells good, it lasts and I like it I buy it. Further tests on this sill follow...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Most every scent uses aerochemicals. I don't care.
    Oh, no, I'm not complaining at all about the use of synthetics. Not in the least. I'm just pointing out that there's one magical aroma chemical in particular here that I detect in a few others. The scents don't smell the same, but they have a similar green-ness I can't explain. I say magical because every time I smell it, I am wowed, and I find myself wanting to buy the fragrance that uses it... but for whatever reason, it never ends up smelling right on skin to me. It smells great on clothes, but on my skin, it's just not right. I'm not against using synthetics at all. You're right that just about every scent uses them. Heck, one of my favorite scents is Molecule 01, and there's nothing natural about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So for me, if it smells good, it lasts and I like it I buy it.
    I agree, absolutely 100%.

Nothing unique and special, and the original one is way better to me.
    There are better summer scents, one that I've just found soooooo cute is Aramis Bermuda Tonic...

Lightbulb Re: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Nothing unique and special, and the original one is way better to me.
    There are better summer scents, one that I've just found soooooo cute is Aramis Bermuda Tonic...
    The Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Summer I have is in a light green bottle (2006). I love that one but don't know how the 2012 or 2013 compare.

Thanks!

And hi! It's been a while!

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts between the 2012 edition vs the 2013? Thanks! would like to pull the trigger soon as the weather is changing and I would like to don one of my fav summer fragrances again.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump. Anyone? Thanks!
    Last edited by CyberAthlete; 18th April 2013 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAthlete View Post
    The Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Summer I have is in a light green bottle (2006). I love that one but don't know how the 2012 or 2013 compare.

Thanks!

And hi! It's been a while!

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts between the 2012 edition vs the 2013? Thanks! would like to pull the trigger soon as the weather is changing and I would like to don one of my fav summer fragrances again.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump. Anyone? Thanks!
    Fruity.. that's the word I'd use, but more of a kiwi/pineaplle kind of fruit rather than citrus as is usually the case with the summer versions.. I'd say the 2012 version was closer to the 2009 in being more floral. However, it's definitely less intensely citrus than the 2005 version which was actually very close to the original but with a more prominent mandarin note rather than yuzu.. Personally I found it more interesting than the previous two years efforts so will definitely be purchasing it.
    Last edited by Gottdammerung; 23rd April 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Love the bottle. Need to try this.

It's great stuff, provided you like the original (which I do). Not as radically different as I had hoped, but I can see myself picking this up soon. For those looking to compare it to last summer's edition, this one is softer, fruitier, and less green. I own the original and the 2012 edition, and find this one better than last year's, but not as good as the original.

I find this one tied with the 2009 Summer edition. 2013 has more grapefruit/melon/kiwi. Quite nice. The 2000 (Cobalt blue bottle) with peppermint and gingko biloba is the best of them all.

tired it yesterday and smells like Davidoff the good life gone wrong!