Code of Conduct

Default D and G The One Gentleman vs Terre d'Hermes

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on these two. Would you say they are even comparable scents?

I like them both. The D&G doesn't last all that long on me, but I do love the smell, all the way from top to bottom. TdH is class in a bottle I think, although I do think it's basenote is not it's best aspect.

Any thoughts on a comparison? Yes - I'm looking to buy one of them.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Default Re: D and G The One Gentleman vs Terre d'Hermes

They are not comparable to my nose. D&G The One Gentleman is a spicy-sweet fragrance, while Terre d'Hermes is woody-earthy. As for longevity and projection, Hermes just simply trumps D&G.

I like D&G The One Gentleman, but I prefer Terre d'Hermes.

you're joking, right? They're not remotely similar in style or the way they smell. It all comes to that which one you like more. D&G The One Gentleman is stronger than the original if you have longevity issue. TdH is a player for itself and not as versatile as D&G. TdH is more conservative and "serious". So, you buy the one you like, not the one everyone here thinks you should buy. For instance, Mona Lisa is a famous paintwork, but I'd never put that on my wall. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

Terre D'Hermes is so much better.

Even the weaker, current version of Td'H.

The One is nice, don't get me wrong, the half hour longevity is just unacceptable.

D&G The One Gentleman smells better. Terre D'Hermes is much stronger and longer lasting, but the last time I wore it I was told I smell like the armpit of a god.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Sound Scents

Not comparable in any way, IMO. I only love one of the two, and that would be Terre d'Hermes for sure.
    Last edited by drseid; 10th December 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    D&G The One Gentleman smells better. Terre D'Hermes is much stronger and longer lasting, but the last time I wore it I was told I smell like the armpit of a god.
    If that's not a typo, then that comment would be what we call a back-handed compliment.

If it was a typo - and should read DOG rather than GOD - then it's a bit of an insult.

For what it's worth, I have and like TdH - and get well complimented on it...!!

TdH is much better in all ways. I love it because it makes me smell like the armpit of a god. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

TdH is much better in all ways. I love it because it makes me smell like the armpit of a god. ;-)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

TdH is better in all ways. I enjoy D&G The One Gentlemen for about an hour each time I wear it, then I just want to wash it off. The opening is quite good, but TdH is much much better IMO.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

The One gives me a lot of longevity, and I smell it off other people quite strongly. It's easier to wear than Terre, but the latter has the advantage of the turbo-booster effect of about 55% Iso E Super (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/259...r-s-Apprentice).

Anyway, the two fragrances have nothing to do with each other. It won't hurt to buy both...

What the efff is "armpit of god?"

And no D&G is only thsre for 30 minutes only so not really a contender.

TdH
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Thank you for the responses so far guys - much appreciated.

I don't even..

TdH by a mile

I don't find them similar at all. The One always dried down way too powdery for my liking.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Banned
    Blog Entries

terre dhermes - no contest

TDH falls in a superior class of scents I think than D&G Gentleman.
    Even not comparable in terms of longevity or sillage...

Own samples of both. I like the smell of The One Gentlemen, a lot. However, if price were not a factor, I would take TdH over The One Gentlemen any day. It's rather unique and I can see myself reaching for it very frequently.
    I've honestly given up on D&G The One fragrances. I loved the original The One, and was glad that I got fairly nice longevity. The last few times that I've tried it, it's lasted well under an hour. Every other D&G The One fragrance yields the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Agree.

Gentleman is actually repulsive to my nose, something it it literary makes me nauseating, yet I adore the scent of the original The One. Terre D'Hermes is gold juice, god damn that's good stuff (love how long it lasts too, you don't find often a fragrance that gives off orange vibe that has this much balls)

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    I agree, however, I dislike both scents and absolutely love my EDP bottle of voyage d'hermes. I was told I would like the TDH and tried it on my skin once. I had read nothing but good things, but I was very disappointed. I didn't even have them make me a sample of it to take home.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Are you kidding? Wearing The One is like wearing nothing at all. !5 minutes later, The One vanishes without a trace. I have never known such a fleeting fragrance. TDH is miles ahead of The One.

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    If that's not a typo, then that comment would be what we call a back-handed compliment.

If it was a typo - and should read DOG rather than GOD - then it's a bit of an insult.

For what it's worth, I have and like TdH - and get well complimented on it...!!
    Oh no, it was a back handed compliment. In fact, my friend even said it was a back handed compliment. He thought it smelled good, but kinda weird I guess.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have both, well The One I gave away to my grandfather - The One brings me some memories - anyway they are completely different as people say The One does not last a lot on the other hand D'Hermes can be dangerous if you spray too much :O

completely different

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post

- - - Updated - - -

LOL! TdH is so much better and the best in the parfum version. D&G Gentleman is just so tame.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The One Gentleman > TdH, imo. TdH is more unique, but more synthetic (all that iso e super!)

Btw, The One Gentleman has great longevity. I easily get 12 hours out of it - and it's still detectable by others, too. 30 minute longevity? You're anosmic to a major component of the scent, or your nose is broken. Those are the only explanations for such.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I am definitely in the group that thinks TOG is an abomination. It was vile to my nose and even though I tried, I could not grow to like it at all and was thankful for it's short life span both on my skin and in my store.

TdH, on the other hand, is one of my all time fave frags. I do not think they share anything in common at all.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Have never tried TdH but I am among the minority who actually likes The One Gentleman. No it doesn't last as long as I'd like, but i don't let that stop me from enjoying it while it lasts.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

As always, it doesn't matter what I (or any of us think) - smell them both and get the one you prefer.

The community would be a lot richer if people didn't need to validate their choices all the time; there'd be a lot more diversity and a lot less group think.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    As always, it doesn't matter what I (or any of us think) - smell them both and get the one you prefer.

The community would be a lot richer if people didn't need to validate their choices all the time; there'd be a lot more diversity and a lot less group think.
    ^ Agreed

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

A bit of tough love? harsh but true. The threads that puzzle me are the ones that go "I've just bought fragrance xxxxx, is it any good?" I can't work out whether they want some reassurance for their buyers remorse or what.

If it's any consolation, these questions pop up on all forums, just substitute the name of whatever product where it depends on personal circumstances and preferences, be it speakers, TVs or perfumes.

The One Gentleman > TdH, imo. TdH is more unique, but more synthetic (all that iso e super!)

Btw, The One Gentleman has great longevity. I easily get 12 hours out of it - and it's still detectable by others, too. 30 minute longevity? You're anosmic to a major component of the scent, or your nose is broken. Those are the only explanations for such.
    Definitely a great scent. I don't get 30 minute longevity, but I sure as heck have yet to smell it after 2 hours. My skin is just like that though..

i think TDH is better in every category except price

more unique,lasts and projects better, but if the base bothers you while you enjoy everything about the one gentlemen

then maybe the one gentlemen is more for you
    Check out my Narciso Rodriguez for Him youtube review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SImDN1VjOU

Thanks again guys - appreciate all the feedback and comments.

TDH, no contest at all.. D&G kid stuff only!

Quote Originally Posted by david black View Post
    I agree, however, I dislike both scents and absolutely love my EDP bottle of voyage d'hermes. I was told I would like the TDH and tried it on my skin once. I had read nothing but good things, but I was very disappointed. I didn't even have them make me a sample of it to take home.
    I would like to retract my above statement about TDH. I was at Sephora yesterday and noticed they had the EDP version in stock so I asked for them to make me a sample. I put two spritzes on each wrist this morning and I must say it's wonderful. It kind of reminds me of a more refined, longer-lasting version of Pamplemousse Rose.
    1. Voyage d' Hermes EDP
    2. Dolce & Gabbana EDT pre 2008

Agree. I know my tastes are nothing like many here and I'm not a real pro at this stuff...still..after 4 years here. But I like it here and I like giving my random, misguided thoughts
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Although I do like The One, not impressed with it's longevity. Terre D'Hermes is one of my go to frags. ISO E Super is 55%, which makes for an interesting orange peel and woody note ride.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

TDH by far

It's an official draw...as per the official score...by my skin chemistry and my Olfactory registries...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Yes, so do I .
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    They are not comparable to my nose. D&G The One Gentleman is a spicy-sweet fragrance, while Terre d'Hermes is woody-earthy. As for longevity and projection, Hermes just simply trumps D&G.

I like D&G The One Gentleman, but I prefer Terre d'Hermes.

Terry D. Hermays all the way...

I wonder if everyone complaining about The One Gentleman's longevity are talking about The One original (NOT the Gentleman?) The One Gentleman lasts on me all day. I pick up a strong bubble gum kind of smell off of it, which I really like when I first spray it on, but usually tire of it before it wears off. Big fan of Terre D'Hermes, though I've never bought a bottle (sampled only.)