Code of Conduct

Default Armani Pour Homme vs Monsieur de Givenchy vs Eau Sauvage vs Chanel Pour Monsieur

Hello Gentlemen,

I am wanting to expand my collection a bit, and am looking into these fragrances.

I am familiar with Eau Sauvage, but find it a bit too lemony, and one dimensional (I find myself wanting a more woody base). I like Chanel Pour Monsieur, but it's a bit "ehh", and too close to skin.

I have not tried, or smelled Monsieur de Givenchy, or Armani PH. How would they stack up against the current formulations of Eau Sauvage, and Chanel Pour Monsieur? Based from what I have read I would like Armani PH.

My current favorite is Ralph Lauren Polo.

Side note- what do you guys think about Chanel Anteaus? worth blind buying?

Thanks!

Default Re: Armani Pour Homme vs Monsieur de Givenchy vs Eau Sauvage vs Chanel Pour Monsieur

Armani PH would be a good choice, after Sauvage, in that line i would go on YSL PH , or Nicolai New York, maybe creamy Chanel PMC...

What could anybody say about Anteaus... Question could be is it a safe blind buy ? yes this can be tricky , but in Your case, I can say go for this one ( even blind ) .

Default Re: Armani Pour Homme vs Monsieur de Givenchy vs Eau Sauvage vs Chanel Pour Monsieur

Have all the ones in the title and love them all. Antaeus is worth it also IMO.

I genuinely enjoy all of them, while Armani PH is my personal favorite either of the one is good, Eau Sauvage or Chanel PM would be a close second place. All three of them have a refined, balanced proportion of citrus, albeit in three very different styles.

Chanel Pour Monsieur would get my vote out of those. It's a shame that Armani PH has been reformulated and is so fleeting on the skin as it was once a great fragrance.

I think you need to add Boucheron Pour Homme, Eau de Guerlain and Eau de Rochas Homme to these 4, they are very much in the same vein. Even the current version of O de Lancôme, which is no more feminine than the current Eau Sauvage, and I actually prefer to ES!

YSL Pour Homme is a little different than the rest of them, a Lemony herbal scent rather than a Citrus Chypre.

In order of preference, I would say Boucheron in EDP form, the Armani (even the current formulation), Eau de Guerlain, the Rochas, Pour Monsieur, MdG, O de Lancôme, and Eau Sauvage flat last (I'm not a fan).

Thank you for the insight, gentlemen!

hmmm interesting...

Purely on reviews, and what branding has done to my mind, I am leaning toward Armani. How about purely between Armani PH, and Monsieur de Givenchy (I find Eau Sauvage to be a bit too lemony, and Chanel Pour Monsieur to be too creamy)?

There is something awfully exciting about "blind buying"...

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I experienced a vintage Gucci PH at a friends house...WOW it was amazing. Super rich, and masculine. I NEED IT, or something similar to it (along with one of the ones we are discussing above!). I will just start a new thread about it

The Armani might probably be the least impressive from that list, even though it is nice to wear...a nice lemony top with an extremely dry and parched drydown.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
    Purely on reviews, and what branding has done to my mind, I am leaning toward Armani. How about purely between Armani PH, and Monsieur de Givenchy
    The opening note to Armani is not Lemon, it is more like Lime (its supposed to be Tangerine and "Green Lemon", well what is a Lime if its not a green Lemon?), whereas the opening of MdG is definitely Lemon, and Lemon Verbena. The heart of the Armani is more floral (that Carnation note than makes people think of Cloves), and the Oakmoss in the drydown is more prominent. Also, MdG has a small dose of Civet in it, just to dirty it up a bit, that comes through as the Lemon note is fading. If you are not a fan of a little bit of skank, then the Armani would be the better bet for you.

I am slightly jealous that you have had a test of the original Gucci PH from the 70's. From all the descriptions I've read I think I would love it. I think you will have difficulty finding anything like it today, powerhouse mens chypres are not exactly in fashion. Its possible Aramis Devin will have some of what you are looking for, and if you can find it (I understand it is still sold in some countries) Dunhill for Men, AKA Dunhill 1934.

@andym72

Which one do you personally prefer? One one has more of the gentlemany/class quality? I also tend to not like anything too musky, or sweet.

Yea, powerhouse chypes are DEF not in fashion. Too bad. Evidently men these days enjoy smelling like candy, and synthetic chemicals.

I was walking by a frag shop today, and out of curiosity sprayed my wrist with acqua di gio....WOW....I nearly vomited. I then proceeded to run to the restroom and wash it off immediately. It is absolutely disgusting. I have no idea how something like that could be so popular. I even much prefer the synthetic-esque CK eternity over acqua di gio.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    The opening note to Armani is not Lemon, it is more like Lime (its supposed to be Tangerine and "Green Lemon", well what is a Lime if its not a green Lemon?)
    A different species.

Green lemon = unripe lemon.

Sound Scents

My favorite of the three is Monsieur de Givenchy (especially in its vintage form), a sublime minimalist concoction but definitely no powerhouse. It actually is a very mild mannered scent that is very classy and versatile (I have a more extensive review on this site in the reviews section). As for the civet (a note I am super-sensitive to and dislike immensely), they have implemented it so well that even someone who dislikes the note will not be bothered at all with it here.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

My vote would be for Monsieur de Givenchy.

Given that you're a fan of RL Polo, I'd also second the recommendations to add YSL Pour Homme to your list.

These are all wonderful fragrances, but only in vintage form.
    Formerly known as Inselaffe