Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chanel Egoiste

Default Chanel Egoiste

I just received my sample and honestly can't begin to understand what the hype is all about. Maybe my nose isn't as noble as some of yours. I think I will just stick to my Bleu, Kouros and Angel Men.

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste

People just react differently to different scents. What one finds enthralling another finds boring. Quite normal.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    can't begin to understand what the hype is all about.
    Some would say the same thing about Bleu.

I think Egoiste is a phenomenal scent, and by far the best from Chanel. Different strokes for different folks.

If you're referring to Egoiste EDT (not the Platinum version), its first 20-30 mins. is mostly sharp citrus and rosewood. Then, it develops into a smooth floral, spicy, woodsy, and semi-sweet vanilla scent.

^^ +1 Definitely worth waiting for the drydown with the EDT.

Maybe your nose has been damaged from wearing Angel Men and Korous to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Maybe your nose has been damaged from wearing Angel Men and Korous to appreciate it.
    Beautiful.

I love Egoiste
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    I just received my sample and honestly can't begin to understand what the hype is all about. Maybe my nose isn't as noble as some of yours. I think I will just stick to my Bleu, Kouros and Angel Men.
    I'm with you, at least on the Bleu and Kouros. Egoiste ain't all that.

I agree Egoiste isn't it all that. I tried it on Sat at Nordstrom and it didn't smell good on me at all. I waited like many had said for the dry down, and though it got better it still wasn't my cup of tea.

I was underwhelmed when I fist tried and bought a bottle of Egoiste.

I was Mr. Joe "Department Store" Aquatic in the beginning as I'm sure most of us were.

Give it time... as in save your sample or buy a small bottle, and give it time... smell a lot of different fragrances and come back to it.

It took me quite a while to realize how well made and what a phenomenal scent Egoiste really is.

I've done a bit of a turnaround on 'Egoiste'. When I first got my sample, I sprayed some on my wrist one evening and mostly got cherry pie filling - which was ok but not what I was hoping for and I was a bit disappointed. Then, a few days ago, I tried it again - more sprays in different places and wore it to work and...I really liked it! The cherries were still there but fresher this time and I really did get the woods and vanilla in the drydown and it lasted a long time. It was a lovely scent to get whiffs of during the day and it made a nice change from my other regulars. I'm glad I have two samples and I might just get a bottle. Pity it seems so hard to get hold of in the UK.

I think it's a very good scent. I don't own it yet, but I may pick it up soon. It's one of the better ones from Chanel. I still like Sycomore a lot more though.

When I first smelled Egoiste I thought it smelled like rubbing alcohol. When all the other notes kick in is when the magic happens. I can see why the opening would turn some off though.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I never liked egoiste.

There's a particular sweetness to it that sickens me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

When I was a lot younger, I also did not like egoiste just as I did not like Eau Savage when I was younger. Today, many fragrances later, I have come to appreciate both and find them to be excellent fragrances. But it is all so subjective. Many persons on basenotes adore Terre d'hermes whereas I find that the fragrance actually annoys me. I think it's the amount of ISO E super.
    As you mature and become acquainted with the vast majority of fragrances produced, your tastes will change and something you do not like today may become very pleasing to you in years to come.

The last time I gave it a shot my thought was that Python by Trussarid (women's version) was similar but better (for me, obviously).

I liked the old Egoiste from the 90s, the new one to me smells just like cinnamon in the drydown

I appreciate Egoiste for the wonderful fragrance it is, however, I just couldn't actually picture myself wearing it in place of others. It just had a very mature, formal feel to me. I also am not a huge fan of the first 30-60 minutes. The dry down is definitely beautiful, though, and it makes it easy to see why people love it & consider it a masterpiece.

Still trying to like. I guess I will have to wear my sample more. I smells good but not good enough to buy IMO.

It has a YSL Opium vibe.

I consider it a masterpiece! I own both vintage and current formulations and both are amazing. I find the vintage to be a bit denser and a bit more natural smelling.
    But then again the current trend is diluting, taming, cost-cutting of the old greats(or discontinuation), and creating light and inoffensive new scents for the uniform masses.

I wear …goÔste in winter, spring, summer and fall, in the morning and in the evening, anytime and anywhere...
    I always liked wearing fragrances, but …goÔste changed and defined my view on fragrances. Made me realise how perfume can be more of an art, than just something you spray on to smell good, and can mirror your character and heart.

Give it some full wears, experience the scent from start to end, as it was meant to be experienced
    You might do a 180 and come out a changed man
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

It's not an easy fragrance to love, but it's won my heart. I do prefer Allure Homme and Bleu over Egoiste, but sometimes it just feels right.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

try vintage and dont like! Too cloyingly sweet for a masculine in my opinion.
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau ExtrÍme

I don't find it to be anything overly special or mind-blowing but it is just a very versatile scent, put simply: it smells very good. It's the one I am most often tempted to wear. After one test spray at a store I knew I had to have a bottle. I love the sandalwood that comes through after a while. It is on the sweet and woody side so if you don't like that combination I can understand how you don't like this. Maybe you were expecting to be wowed. Like I said: it didn't wow me but I also couldn't stop smelling it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducaticorse View Post
    try vintage and dont like! Too cloyingly sweet for a masculine in my opinion.
    The vintage (yellow juice) is thicker and smoother, while the current reformulation (clear juice) smells more modern, lighter, brighter, but not as smooth, IMO; but I still prefer the latter.

Love Egoiste. I wish I could get my hands on a bottle of the cologne concentree...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I think Egoiste is the classic example of a scent you need to try more than once. The first time I tried it, I thought it smelled kind of strange, like a weird version of Chanel Pour Monsieur with fruit and spices added. I went back to my sample a few months later, and ended up buying a bottle.

I can't say it's particularly sexy, but it does make me feel special when I wear it.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

It's plums, rosewood, vanilla, woods, rose and spices. It's definitely above average but, I don't think it's as great as so many people make it out to be. It's one of those fragrances were it didn't sell well initially and compared to the fragrances we have today it's a definite step up so people tend to think of it better than it is because of the "back in the day" effect and minority thing.

It feels lil a masculine take on Feminite du Bois ( not saying that isn't masculine)
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I do not like Egoiste whatsoever. Don't worry about what the fanboys think of it. If you don't like it, don't wear it.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I really like Platinum Egoiste, and after reading all the hype here about how amazing the original was, I was super excited to try it.

In retrospect, even if it was good it probably couldn't have lived up to expectations, but this wasn't a simple case of being in the wrong frame of mind. Egoiste just doesn't work for me, there is something about it that I find literally stomach churning. I put up with it for a couple hours to see if it dried down to something better, but I eventually had to wash it off.

I'm glad others enjoy it so much but (for me) it is the worst fragrance I have ever smelled.

When I first tried Egoiste I was startled and a bit repelled. I waited for the renowned Chanel drydown. I tried it again. My conclusion: first impressions are not always wrong.

I have both Egoiste and Egoiste Cologne Concentree.

Egoiste is like being punched in the face

Egoiste Cologne Concentree is like being punched in the face with a velvet glove... an all round better experience.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

I knew a man of the silver fox persuasion who wore Egoiste like it was personally made for him. He was happily married and twenty-five years older than me, but when he smelled of Egoiste I always did the head-turn.

On me it smells like straight-up pumpkin pie.

I personally love Egoiste, but it is a little sweet - I could see how some may not enjoy it.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Sound Scents

I am afraid I am with you, on Egoiste at least... I have tried so hard to understand and potentially like it, but no matter how many times I retry it, my negative opinion hasn't changed. I think I have to just come to terms it just isn't to my tastes...
    Last edited by drseid; 4th December 2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frťdťric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driý) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

Fantastic fragrance, at least on my skin. Glad to have Egoiste in my wardrobe collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian2 View Post
    I'm glad others enjoy it so much but (for me) it is the worst fragrance I have ever smelled.
    Get your hands on a bottle of Versace Black Jeans, test it, and come back to review/revise what you just said.

It is a wonderful great classic for cold weather and cautious application is needed on me.

currently my favorite designer fragrance.

I've never thought much of it and also can't understand the fuss about it.

At least from what I know, this scent tends to literally "improve with time" once applied on skin. My first reaction, shortly before spraying, is overwhelmingly unimpressive, but after I give this scent 30-45 minutes or even more to settle, only then its full potential is eventually revealed to my nose.

The very first time I tried it I was underwhelmed, I thought this would be just another boring Chanel. Once it developed on my skin it just became this gorgeous cinnamon-rose-vanilla-sandalwood composition that blew my mind. I now love the top notes and am seeking a full bottle. Chanel's best IMO, a definite masterpiece. Give it time before you form an opinion.

Bought a new 3.4 OZ bottle of Egoiste for $75 at Blue Mercury in Charleston today. I believe it was the only bottle at that price, they had it in the computer at $80 but they gave it to me for the price on the sticker. Another bottle was marked $80 just like it is priced everywhere else I have seen. So, I got a $5 discount.

I love its drydown.

This gem is just under my radar!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

For me a lovely scent. Masterpiece.

Probably my favourite scent.
    Now available widely in UK again.

Nothing special IMO worth all the hype

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    oh my...

My 8 year old loves this and did a good job of picking out some notes so I made him a 5 ml decant lol

I have had a change of heart on this. It is a very enjoyable wear for me today. It's about 75 and sunny here, so I don't know how it will do when the weather really heats up.

For the first hour or so this one starts off a little rough with a hint of bug spray. Then Egoiste turns into a very rich, warm and elegant spicy sandalwood. It's easy to see how some won't like waiting to get to the dry down and it is a little masculine, in a strange way. For me, I went with a bottle of Chanel Bois des Iles instead of Egoiste based on reviews of trusted noses here... and I'm very happy I spent the extra $40.

I also did a complete U-turn on it. Absolutely love the stuff. The opening is actually quite harsh, medicinal even, but it does dry down in to some wonderful woods (read sandalwood) and florals (read roses).

Egoiste was never on my 'radar' until all the hype on here. As is usually the case - discontinued tends to equal 'legend' on forums ... Guerlain Derby was a classic case.

Anyway, as it's now available again I thought I'd try it last Saturday.

Brilliant stuff. Simply brilliant.

Buying a bottle this Saturday. Absolute no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have had a change of heart on this. It is a very enjoyable wear for me today. It's about 75 and sunny here, so I don't know how it will do when the weather really heats up.
    It will do great! Get ready to smell like a conquering, victorious GOD!
    As I stated earlier in the thread, I wear it in all seasons and all kinds of weather, and it never performs less than perfect Given that you don't overspray it

Can …goÔste be oversprayed? Can you have too much of a good thing?
    I am not sure

PS:
    If the initial blast is too intense in the heat, a great alternative could be Bois des Iles
    - Mark

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Like many already said, the first hour or so is demanding...

Yes, the more it stays on your skin the better it gets...But....Boy, it's a loooooooooooooong way to the dry down !!!

And where I live, it's almost never cold/cool enough for this particular fragrance...

I can wear many strong/intense fragrances in the warm/hot weather but not Egoiste...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    It will do great! Get ready to smell like a conquering, victorious GOD!
    As I stated earlier in the thread, I wear it in all seasons and all kinds of weather, and it never performs less than perfect Given that you don't overspray it

Can …goÔste be oversprayed? Can you have too much of a good thing?
    I am not sure

PS:
    If the initial blast is too intense in the heat, a great alternative could be Bois des Iles
    Sure, Mark !!!

Summer in Copenhagen may just be a little different than in the Carribean where I live or some other warmer places of the world, don't you think ?

It seems to me to be quite a complex fragrance.
    It's quite pungent and strong when you first spray it. But when given time it matures nicely.

I personally enjoy a lot the cinnamon in it. I find it spicy but not too spicy, just right.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Sure, Mark !!!

Summer in Copenhagen may just be a little different than in the Carribean where I live or some other warmer places of the world, don't you think ?

It can get between 20-30+ degrees Celcius in Denmark in the summer, and I have worn it on vacations as well (30-35 degrees C). It is not like I am confined in an arctic environment
    I would agree that it would be easy to overspray it, on a midsummer day on Barbados, after a rainshower and with the following rise in humidity I guess that would be a single spray occasion

Do mind, that all I write regards how I feel about …goÔste I love all phases of it
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 14th May 2013 at 05:22 PM.
    - Mark