Code of Conduct

Exclamation GUCCI discontinuations: THE WORD

Yesterday I spoke with a very helpful and knowledgeable SA in our Gucci Boutique here in Perth and she told me some rather distressing news.

Any Gucci scent created which has not been overseen (at least in part) by Frida Giannini is set for discontinuation. As Gucci roll out Frida's new boutique installations, they will also be stepping up the swift eradication of these perfumes.

So, "modern classics" destined for the scrap heap are:

Gucci Envy (Mens and Womens)
    Gucci Envy Me
    Gucci Envy Me 2
    Gucci Rush - obviously - (Mens and Womens)
    Gucci Rush 2
    Gucci Eau de Parfum
    Gucci Eau de Parfum II
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Which will leave:

Gucci by Gucci for Women (EDT & EDP)
    Gucci by Gucci for Men
    Gucci by Gucci Sport for Men
    Gucci Flora (EDT & EDP)
    Gucci Guilty (Mens and Womens)

Personally, I'm not a fan of *any* of the scents that Gucci plan to retain. Not a one!

The SA raved about Giannini's resurrection of the Heritage Gucci brand and stylings, but it strikes me as odd that they are not resurrecting the heritage scents too.

Moral of the story: Stockpile a few bottles of your fave 'modern classic' Gucci scents, as they will be phased out completely in the foreseeable future.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: GUCCI discontinuations: THE WORD

Thanks Dimi. Now that is a shame - not that I am a fan of any of the pre - Giannini scents but still....
    ( No more thank you buttons for today or I would press it .)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks for the heads up.

Envy is going on the back-up bottle list. Thanks for the heads up!
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Wow. That's bad news. My bottle of Envy for Men is going off. Has floaters now. Too bad I didn't store it properly when it first came out. I probably won't replace it though. I like Musc Ravageur more for a scent in this vein.

Still, oddly, Gucci PH II is something that I've grown really fond of. I may have to back that one up, as well as getting a bottle of PH I.

Thanks for the news.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Looks like Gucci has given up the fight where fragrance is concerned. I'm surprised at the decision -their Gucci by Gucci line is nothing short of abysmal. The latest 'Guilty' is nothing to crow about either. Oh well, Gucci's free to join the likes of Hugo Boss & Kenneth Cole.

I dont own any gucci scent, but i think i will buy each of this ones that will be discontinueds!

Thanks for this news. Glad I got a back-up bottle of Envy on the cheap a few months ago. Now I must lay my sweaty paws on some EDP II ... The rest I can live without.

I'm not surprised. Gucci is dead when Tom Ford Left.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I can't believe they're getting rid of the "Envies," in particular. I thought these were pretty big sellers for Gucci!

Too bad, Gucci is about to go from a moderately respected perfume brand to a joke in one grandly awful step.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I saw Rush for Women and Envy Me at a Sephora (inside JCPenney) that opened two weeks ago. So maybe this rumor has truth to it, or maybe it doesn't.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

GRRR SOME of these older Guccis are getting so hard to track down as it is .... really want to try Rush for men and Gucci Pour Homme at some point

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I saw Rush for Women and Envy Me at a Sephora (inside JCPenney) that opened two weeks ago. So maybe this rumor has truth to it, or maybe it doesn't.
    Gucci have no power over the stock already in circulation outside of their own boutiques, but when they stop production completely; then when the well is dry, the well is dry.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads-up, Dimi.

This is how classics become vintage. Stock up!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm not surprised. Gucci is dead when Tom Ford Left.
    Amen!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thank you for the heads up! I'm purchasing Gucci Envy for Men. One of my all-time favs and is extremely nostalgic to me nose!

Delurking to say thankyou. I just received a sample of Envy for Men today, and should be receiving the brown bottle EdP tomorrow. In the nick of time it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Amen!
    You made my day! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    The SA raved about Giannini's resurrection of the Heritage Gucci brand and stylings, but it strikes me as odd that they are not resurrecting the heritage scents too.
    Now this would be awesome! I own Rush, but I haven't loved a Gucci since No.1, No.3 and L'Arte, each of which I've had to hunt and hoard for years.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I just picked up bottles of Eau de Parfum and Eau de Parfum 2. I had been wanting both for a while, anyway.

Hard to believe they'll discontinue Envy and Pour Homme and Pour Homme II. I also figure that those must be pretty big sellers for them.

if I see them being blown out on online sellers, I'll pick some.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Stock up!
    Gucci sees their selling is increasing, and they will decide to continue

Thank you Sorcery of Scent

Thanks for the heads up! I'm surprised that Gucci Guilty for women will be getting discontinued, because its so new. I smelt the men's and women's versions at macy's, and the men's version was terrible. Its also sad to see Gucci by Gucci going too.
    My Signature Scent: Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderMorgan View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm surprised that Gucci Guilty for women will be getting discontinued, because its so new. I smelt the men's and women's versions at macy's, and the men's version was terrible. Its also sad to see Gucci by Gucci going too.
    I think you might have misread my original post, so heres the GOOD NEWS:

Gucci Guilty and Gucci by Gucci are staying. Its the list at the top that are being discontinued

I have it on very reliable authority that the Tom Ford-era scents (especially Pour Homme) are seen as being out of step with Gucci's current image. Personally, I think this is ludicrous. Pour Homme would be worth keeping by ANY brand on the basis that it's one of the best masculines of the last 25 years.

The latest Gucci fragrances are safe, uninspiring and forgettable. A real shame.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Thanks for heads up - sounds a bit to me like airbrushing the original guy out of the photo. I own Gucci PH & Envy Men, which I don't wear often to be honest, but am now also the proud owner of a bottle of 30ml Rush for posterity

Perhaps when Gucci once again has a visionary young Creative Director with fragrance nous--instead of one whose fragrances are a modern manifesto of contempt for the consumer--he/she will consider reissuing the discontinued releases as part of a "return to Gucci's heritage".

Because obviously Tom Ford's work can't be considered a part of that heritage for a while yet, certainly not until it is cast aside on personal whim.

Disappointing. I've recently discovered an enjoyment of Gucci EdP. Not enough to back up my decant with a bottle, but the option to get one later would have been nice.

I remember liking Gucci Accenti in my pre-perfume days, which is now gone. Not sure what the others are like.

I don`t know if there is anything more that can surprise me - i`m prepared to see someday even the discontinuation of legends and classic scents.
    It seems that the way is stock up and wait the tastes changes in the next one or two decades...

Hillaire

This is really sad. But I have expected this for some time. Now Rush and Envy can join the ranks glorious of L'Arte and 3.

Gucci III and Accenti are discontinued sadly ,and now Rush !
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Its confirmed that will be discontinued?

Uh, yes. Didn't I make it clear? It came from the horses mouth itself.

IMO ALL the Gucci fragrances have sucked since the launch of Gucci Pour Homme (original).... Tom Ford may have resurrected the Gucci brand from extinction and injected some much needed fashion sense....but any fragrance launched under his watch was not anything special or unique...but I am not a huge fan of his niche line either....his clothing....now THAT is a different thing entirely!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    It came from the horses mouth itself.
    A bit harsh on Frida that, but one sympathizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    A bit harsh on Frida that, but one sympathizes.
    Lol! Well, in my case, it was a senior sales manager in our local Gucci boutique. But I get where you're going!

And with this I've finally realised that I do need to get Rush after all, might be my go-to scent for summer, actually.

And what about M7? Excuse my ignorance if it's already been discontinued, it's just so hard to keep up with these discontinuations when they just disappear off the shelves randomly all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Persolaise View Post
    I have it on very reliable authority that the Tom Ford-era scents (especially Pour Homme) are seen as being out of step with Gucci's current image...
    IMHO, they don't think the blends are important. I know, it is ridiculous, but I am placing myself in the shoes of a manager acknowledging that customers buy fragrances because of the packaging, the brand, the price, the places it is sold and the ads. So, it is not the blend that matters... just look at the bottles and compare the latest releases with those of the Ford- era. Indeed, based in this simple fact, these ones are obviously out of step.

Besides this fact, I don't expect Giannini's efforts much succes: even lovers of modern-day fragrance styles described the latest men's release as smelling like a run of the mill deodorant sold in drugstores.

So basically they are getting rid of all good stuff (Envy, Gucci I, II, Rush, Gucci II Women, etc) and keep just new sh*t.

TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I can't see myself losing any sleep over all this.

With regards to the perfume industry, in general, it seems the worst is yet to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I can't see myself losing any sleep over all this.

With regards to the perfume industry, in general, it seems the worst is yet to come...
    Oh ye harbinger of doom! How do you mean? Do tell.....

I liked Gucci's (rush, Envy) in my early 20's. Flora is okay if a little vapid, Guilty is poor. Wouldn't worry about this too much with a whole world of fragrance houses I have just discovered. It'll take me a year just to get through all the Creeds!

*updated to comment that I found a mini of Envy and I really like it! On the trail to track down a bottle or too before it goes!*
    Last edited by queen_sheba; 20th June 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Its confirmed that will be discontinued?
    Only by a random Sales Assistant...no, correction, its now a Senior Sales Manager.

Blog Entries

I stopped by the Gucci counter at Bloomingdales in San Francisco yesterday. The SA there (not sure of her rank and title, or the number of employees she directly oversees, or what brand of shoes she was wearing, so obviously her information cannot be relied upon at all), and she confirmed that the Envy line was being discontinued and was already no longer being carried by Bloomingdales.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by The Anointed One View Post
    Only by a random Sales Assistant...no, correction, its now a Senior Sales Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I stopped by the Gucci counter at Bloomingdales in San Francisco yesterday. The SA there (not sure of her rank and title, or the number of employees she directly oversees, or what brand of shoes she was wearing, so obviously her information cannot be relied upon at all), and she confirmed that the Envy line was being discontinued and was already no longer being carried by Bloomingdales.
    Thanks for chiming in with your additional confirmation, Heartwood.

I can't believe, it's the best they have. i just love gucci parfums, now i see, i have to stock up them.

I am also one of the Basenoters who will heavily stock up on Gucci as soon and as often the opportunity arises, especially Envy for Men and Gucci Nobile

I've also heard from several SA's that they were being discontinued.
    The current stock in regular shops seem to be the last stock.

I'm well stocked with Gucci Nobile and Pour Homme I, that'll have to do as far as I'm concerned. Since Nobile has been already discontinued long ago and seemingly some good knockoffs exist, I think the loss won't be too great for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I'm well stocked with Gucci Nobile
    which knockoffs of Gucci Nobile you suggest? I'm genuinely interested as so far the only one I found is Nobile Royality.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Nobile Royality.
    There you go. Another great fragrance, that could fill the spot Nobile is currently filling in my collection would be Boss Spirit (but it's discontinued, too). There's at least one or two other fragrances I have read about in past that were described as direct Nobile clones but no matter how hard I try to remember, I don't recall their names at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    There you go. Another great fragrance, that could fill the spot Nobile is currently filling in my collection would be Boss Spirit (but it's discontinued, too). There's at least one or two other fragrances I have read about in past that were described as direct Nobile clones but no matter how hard I try to remember, I don't recall their names at the moment.
    thanks, if anything else comes to mind, drop me a line

Another one in the same vein, although inferior, would be Jaguar (from 1988).

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Gucci sees their selling is increasing, and they will decide to continue

Thank you Sorcery of Scent
    You were right, PHII is now back on their website, and PHI....is still ther LOL

http://www.gucci.com/us/category/m/fragrance
    They look isolated among the new sh*ts and all their complements, but that's all I need

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelap View Post
    You were right, PHII is now back on their website, and PHI....is still ther LOL

http://www.gucci.com/us/category/m/fragrance
    They look isolated among the new sh*ts and all their complements, but that's all I need
    They look isolated because they will be phased out eventually - just look at how they're positioned compared to the rest of the men's line. Reassuring yourself of such vague indicators is the most naive thing you can do when it comes to fragrances.

If you love the fragrances so much, buy back-ups and move on...

I already got enough back ups that could last me 3 years everyday wearing
    I'm just happy seeing my fav is still around. You probably didn't like sth that much or perhaps your fav is aqua di gio, so no need to freak out about it being gone

PH 2 is still on Gucci's website. Should I get one while I can?

Quote Originally Posted by Awésome View Post
    PH 2 is still on Gucci's website. Should I get one while I can?
    It wouldn't hurt just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It wouldn't hurt just in case.
    Thanks. I've just bought from another website for $60. I hope they continue to produce this great cologne.