Code of Conduct

Default Automatically expanding ads

Am I the only person that DETESTS the new automatically expanding ads at the top of the page? I realize that ads on a site like this are a necessary evil, but it is an extremely annoying new feature that I have to deal with on every new page, and every time my cursor accidentally rolls over the ad.

I don't think I'll every buy Levi's again just because of its stupid expanding ad.

This is a very, very annoying new site feature. I love basenotes, but geez, I can't be the only one that this annoys.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Default Re: Automatically expanding ads

I was thinking of posting about this very thing, it's obnoxious as hell.

I'll check back periodically to see if the auto-expanding advert is still here, and immediately log out if it is. That is the most annoying "feature", and frankly I can't be bothered. I come to Basenotes for pleasure not for frustration!
    Last edited by demcav; 5th December 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Is it a Levi's ad? Sady I don't see which adverts are on show in the US, but I can take it up with my ad people, as I obviously don't want irritating ads!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is it a Levi's ad? Sady I don't see which adverts are on show in the US, but I can take it up with my ad people, as I obviously don't want irritating ads!
    Yes, it's a Levi's advert that expands constantly. Just checked and it's still there. Thank you for looking into deleting this feature.

Grant,

Thank you very much! Your hard work on this site is very much appreciated!

Bar

Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Am I the only person that DETESTS the new automatically expanding ads at the top of the page? I realize that ads on a site like this are a necessary evil, but it is an extremely annoying new feature that I have to deal with on every new page, and every time my cursor accidentally rolls over the ad.

I don't think I'll every buy Levi's again just because of its stupid expanding ad.

This is a very, very annoying new site feature. I love basenotes, but geez, I can't be the only one that this annoys.
    Detest that type of ad also.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post

I have been experiencing the same thing . . . extremely irritating and frustrating ! Thanks for starting this thread. Cheers . . . Wally

Default Basenotes spam.

Am I the only one getting a big Levis jeans spam every time I log on, it's really annoying.

Default Re: Basenotes spam.

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought some backup 514 cords.

Ok the thread was moved, but I see that I'm not the only one . lol

Blog Entries

Yes, I hate it, too. I think I'm going to buy some designer jeans next time just to send a message they'll listen to.

Screw "pop-ins". Maybe some geek can invent a "pop-in" blocker.

Just for this I will continue to buy all my jeans at Buckle. I hate these stupid ads, too.

In case you can't see it and feel left out, it looks like this, except a little more colorful:

It uses up about two thirds of the active window's space.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 11th December 2012 at 02:11 AM.

Grrr...it's still there and eating up my screen. Really annoying. Half the time I click on the "male forum," but because the ad is automatically expanding/contracting, I end up in a different forum altogether.

I love basenotes, but this is absolutely the worst advertising move for any website I visit.
    Current Top Five:

Blog Entries

The drop-down ads are actually interfering with PMs. My notifications are stuck now. Viewing PMs doesn't make them "read" for me anymore, when that ad is showing (which is basically all the time). Which means these ridiculous ads are monkeying with BN code execution. WRONG on so many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah! There. Finally went away.

- - - Updated - - -

Now they're interfering with posts being marked as read!

Yeah - I'm getting the same ads. Equally annoying on iPad, iPhone, and Windows.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I only get them when I'm not logged in.

I'm logged in and I am still getting them at least 50% of the time.

It's now been ten since Grant said he'd look into them. I'm sure he did, but they're still there, despite being universally reviled.

I think I may stay away from BN for a while until they're gone, and that's saying something about how annoying they are.
    Current Top Five:

If you're a Basenotes Plus member, please check your settings. Under general setting there's an option to turn ads on or off.

The ads are really annoying. Is the setting only available for Basenotes Plus members?

Yes, that's one of the perks of paid membership.

But this morning, before I logged in, I didn't get the expanding ad, only a banner. Is it fixed for everyone now?

Adding later: never mind - I logged in again later this morning and got the expanding Levis ad again
    Last edited by socalwoman; 17th December 2012 at 04:41 PM.

Default The Levi's Dress to SHINE ad.

I'm all for the site making $ from ads, got no problem there. But this ad has a mind of it's own.

It seems to expand/close at will, just a nightmare, evertime I hit a new page I have to wait for the whole page to jockey just to accomodate it. It's like page-terrets. I mean, it's having the opposite affect on me, I'm NOT gonna buy thier jeans just because of it....lol.

Anybody else having this problem? at least cycle in some better ads related to fragrence or am I forever stuck with this one?

It's stopping me from actually dropping in....I keep thinking.....THAT ad, my god that ad.

Sorry, less Levi's more juice. Expanding ads are.....a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost a sense of relief that I'm not the only one......almost.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Yes, that's one of the perks of paid membership.

But this morning, before I logged in, I didn't get the expanding ad, only a banner. Is it fixed for everyone now?

Adding later: never mind - I logged in again later this morning and got the expanding Levis ad again
    I switched off ads in my settings and of course they are gone now. I had left ads on to help support the site, but I'll leave them off for a while until this thing gets sorted out.

Thanks for the reminder about the setting, socalwoman.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any word on this? This Levi's add is still making BN a hassle, whether I'm logged on or off. BN is basically unusable from my tablet and a real pain even on the laptop. It's gotten to the point where my brain screams "You dumb b-, get out of the way!" every time I try to log on. The girl in the silly denim dress just pops up everywhere!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Now there is a car ad that is even worst than the Levis one...it covers everything.

Fortunately I've been able to turn the ads off using Chrome or Firefox on my computer but it still gets me on my iPod where Safari doesn't allow me to eliminate ads.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

The Levi's expanding ad is gone. Thank You for listening/caring!

On humble laptops running Safari ADblock works...

Blog Entries

l've just today started getting Levis ads which move in on both sides of the page, only when viewing the reviews & directory, but they make scrolling down incredibly slow. Anyone else getting this?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Lean Cuisine ad at the top of the page automatically expands and shows a loud video when the mouse rolls over it. It displays a countdown so you can move your mouse away, but it still loads the ad when you switch from tab to tab.

Tried Adblock?
    or BN plus.

i can't stand it, makes each page very slow too and it is easy to click the ad by accident when you try and [x] it out. its very misleading and seemingly takes advantages of many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Lean Cuisine ad at the top of the page automatically expands and shows a loud video when the mouse rolls over it. It displays a countdown so you can move your mouse away, but it still loads the ad when you switch from tab to tab.

I just got this. Horrible and very loud; you have to switch back to the browser and hit "X" in the corner to make it stop.

I don't want to run adblock since this site runs off ad revenue and I want to support that; if only there was a version of adblock that only stiffed annoying ads like this.

BN plus has an option where u can turn them off, admittedly not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

+1, wow really? 10x worse than the Levi's ad. Obnoxiously LOUD video, NSFW. WTH does lean cuisine have to do with fragrence anyway, sheesh.

Expanding ads will be the end of the internet and any entity that decides to use them WILL NOT get my business....lol. I'll get BN plus when the get RID of expanding ads.
    Last edited by nomdeplume; 22nd March 2013 at 11:31 AM.

It's a vodaphobe ad today.

[img=http://s12.postimg.org/un6v1g0i1/photo_7.jpg]

Huge.. it's 75ml down the screen

Can u install ADblock? - free browser add-on - stops the ones that follow u down the page too

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Can u install ADblock? - free browser add-on - stops the ones that follow u down the page too
    Adblock's really cool but I'm not sure if it works outside of Firefox.

Seems to work on a few (inc. Safari):-
    http://adblockplus.org/en/requirements

and for windows users:-
    http://en.softonic.com/s/download-fr...lus/windows-xp

BUT read this too (Android).....
    http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/03/2...w-android-app/

Grant- The "Pure Protein" ad is auto-expanding and holds the page hostage when using an iPad.

I'm getting that Walkers crisps pop up everytime I move to a another page, no matter how many times I close it. It is so annoying, ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Me too with the walkers ad. It's bugging the hell out of me. I remove it very carefully so as not to activate it, then as soon as i change page... pop... back it comes. Ha ha, here it is again....... This is really putting me off posting stuff as it is right where I want to be......

Never buying Walker's crisps again.

If you are using Internet Explorer I found you can go to tools then internet options then click on the security tab. Press the restricted sites and where there is a tab for sites add basenotes net address and it will stop the never ending pop adds. Downside is that you will have to keep logging in every so often.

Yeah, getting these also (just posted about it in 'Off Topic' section as I'd not seen this thread).

TOTALLY F**CKING ANNOYING - Grant, please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not getting these and I'm on Firefox with Adblock Plus...

Found out another better way to stop that Walkers Crisps advert, click on tools in internet explorer if you are using that browser and on the list just click on active x filtering and that stops the add from popping up all the time.

I will look on safari because it is seriously maddening when it suddenly pops into the way.

Nothing found but of course the ad isn't doing it now. If that was you killing it Grant, then thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'm not getting these and I'm on Firefox with Adblock Plus...
    This add on for Firefox or Chrome has worked well for me also.

The expanding ads continue to ruin the Basenotes experience for me.

The PURE PROTEIN ad is especially obnoxious. I am spending less time on Basenotes as a result. Pity . . . Wally