Code of Conduct

Default Looking for New Scent

Hi,

Just joined and really like this site. I have really grown to like Creed's Spice and Wood, and would like to find other fragrances in that vein. Any suggestions you folks have would be great -- happy to go buy some samples based on your thoughts, so fire away.

Not a huge fan of cinnamon scents, which the perfume shops keep saying are similar to Spice and Wood -- maybe they are, but not my nose == though happy to try if people have strong opinions. Sandalwood is nice, patchouli can be good but also overpowering. I bought GIT which I like but don't love. Aventus seems a bit too sweet to me. I think I like citrus, but have never found anything that great -- always seems a bit cloying. Not a fan of Oud -- makes me sad as I think I should love it, but 0/5 on samples. Not a huge fan of leather or tobacco -- but again game to try.

Hope that wasn't hopelessly confusing as I am a bit new to the hobby.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Default Re: Looking for New Scent

Perhaps Montale Santal Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Le Labo Santal 33 ( yes there is leather in this one, but leather is not potent in this one )

Creed OS

Frapin 1270

Sushi Imperiale

Jaipur Bucheron

Desert Marocian

Thank you so much. Going to grab a bunch of those as samples -- will let you know what I think.

Azzarro pour Homme
    Cartier Declaration
    Parfums de Nicolai New York

should get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Le Labo Santal 33 ( yes there is leather in this one, but leather is not potent in this one )

Creed OS

Frapin 1270

Sushi Imperiale

Jaipur Bucheron

Desert Marocian
    I like how 3 of these are heavily cinnamon after he stated it wasn't his favorite.

Check out Amouage Memoir Man, Ambre 114, Invasion Barbare, and Cypre Palatin.

Will do and thanks -- great name BTW starshipvelcro.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Would love to hear thoughts on any samples you get

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I like how 3 of these are heavily cinnamon after he stated it wasn't his favorite.

Check out Amouage Memoir Man, Ambre 114, Invasion Barbare, and Cypre Palatin.
    Ex. of Jaipur which one is heavily cinnamon please inlighten me ... ? OS ? On your skin maybe on mine not so much..

And if u go that whay , where is spice and wood in Memoir ?

FM's French Lover I find to be the mature version of Creeds Spice & Woods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Ex. of Jaipur which one is heavily cinnamon please inlighten me ... ? OS ? On your skin maybe on mine not so much..

And if u go that whay , where is spice and wood in Memoir ?
    OS is a cinnamon bomb, and it's pretty noticeable in Sushi Imperial...

As for my suggestions, I was just recommending some things that didn't clash with anything he didn't like.

Post Thanks / Like

OS is a cinnamon bomb, and it's pretty noticeable in Sushi Imperial...

As for my suggestions, I was just recommending some things that didn't clash with anything he didn't like.
    For u OS is cinamon bomb, for me is sandalwood + berries , Sushi I, after dry fruits, after citrus, after spice, after sandalwood, yes there is touch of cinnamon , but u must go all the whay in deep to find cin. in this one... Cinnamon bomb is MR.
    My sugestion was pending on spice and orient, sandalwood, i could find milion and one sugestions for him whithout few ingridients he don't like.

Post Thanks / Like

OS would be an option.

Thanks again folks. Love trying new scents, so buying samples sort of my Xmas present to myself -- appreciate your guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Wondewood? It has Oud, but not particularly Oudy. You may enjoy the pepper, nutmeg and woods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    FM's French Lover I find to be the mature version of Creeds Spice & Woods.
    I agree. Check out French Lover by Frederic Malle

Post Thanks / Like

explore Amouage and Serge Lutens!

Post Thanks / Like

lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    How about Wondewood? It has Oud, but not particularly Oudy. You may enjoy the pepper, nutmeg and woods.
    +1 on Wonderwood, while you're at it CdG2Man is worth a look.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 5th December 2012 at 02:07 PM.

OK ordered a bunch, will wear one per day -- wil report as I get them.

- - - Updated - - -

OK today I tried Amber 114. Interesting. Great sillage and projection. A tad sweet for me, and has a strong powdery smell that my wife found a bit too effeminate for her tastes. Picked up some rose smell and a bit of mint -- at least to my nose. I am not as knowledgable as you folks, but my bottom line is its nice, I can see why people love it but not right for me.

New scent tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Today was Amouage Memoir. Really like it. Applied it 8AM still smell it at 10PM and smile each time I get a waft of air. Very incense based scent -- reminds me of old fashioned catholic churches but more sophisticated -- thought it was patchouli but on reflection/research I believe it is frankenscence. Although very different it feels much closer to Spice and Wood then Amber 114 did.

New scent tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

OK today I tried Amber 114. Interesting. Great sillage and projection. A tad sweet for me, and has a strong powdery smell that my wife found a bit too effeminate for her tastes. Picked up some rose smell and a bit of mint -- at least to my nose. I am not as knowledgable as you folks, but my bottom line is its nice, I can see why people love it but not right for me.

New scent tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Today was Amouage Memoir. Really like it. Applied it 8AM still smell it at 10PM and smile each time I get a waft of air. Very incense based scent -- reminds me of old fashioned catholic churches but more sophisticated -- thought it was patchouli but on reflection/research I believe it is frankenscence. Although very different it feels much closer to Spice and Wood then Amber 114 did.

New scent tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Today was L'air du Desert by Marocain. Fantastic. Like it even more than Memoir Man. Similar incense smell but seems smoother, more complex -- I even get a light rose smell even though the description doesn's list it. So far best of the bunch and closest to a Spice and Wood alternative.

Default New Scent Update

As promised I have been updating the thread but it keeps just updating my post and not re-posting so people can see it. Not sur what I am doing wrong -- but if someone searches my name Bande and replies maybe everyone can see my updates.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Scent Update

Maybe just reply to your original post (it could even be something like "original post updated" rather than writing out the whol update again in the reply) and that will bump it.