Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations please

Im a freshman in college and looking to get 1-2 new scents for everyday use in college.
    Ive been browsing a lot and compiled a list of what seems mentioned the most and popular
    (not in any sort of order)

Boss Bottled
    Aqua di Gio
    L'instant de Guerlain
    Burberry Brit
    Body Kouros
    Terre d'Hermes

I was wondering what the general opinion of these were and what would be best for me in college.
    Also any other recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Scott47; 2nd January 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: Need Help Selecting Cologne For College

Quote Originally Posted by Scott47 View Post
    I have this same question and I thought rather than making a new post I would just ask in this one.
    Im a freshman in college and looking to get 1-2 scents for everyday use in college.
    Ive been browsing a lot and compiled a list of what seems mentioned the most (not in any sort of order):

Boss Bottled
    Aqua di Gio
    L'instant de Guerlain
    Burberry Brit
    Body Kouros
    Terre d'Hermes

I was wondering what the general opinion of these were and what would be best for me in college.
    Also any other recommendations would be appreciated.
    Boss Bottled in cooler weather
    AdG in warmer weather

I also think it's hard to go wrong with Paco Rabanne 1 Million, Bleu de Chanel, Azzaro pour homme, etc.

Default Re: Recommendations please

These IMO:

Aqua di Gio
    L'instant de Guerlain
    Burberry Brit
    Body Kouros
    Terre d'Hermes

IMO it is a big waste to use Terre d'Hermes everyday at college... The best for you in college would be Boss Bottled and Acqua di Gio. You should also try YSL L'homme

Is boss bottled the same as Boss No.6? Because that keeps coming up when I search it. Or are they two different things?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott47 View Post
    Is boss bottled the same as Boss No.6? Because that keeps coming up when I search it. Or are they two different things?
    Same, as I recall

So I tried out burberry brit and it seemed very powdery, something that would maybe seem more suitable for working in an office. I also tried jean paul gaultier le male and this seemed like it may be a little better for me. Also YSL L'homme and Aqua di Gio seemed nice but didn't really stand out to me.
    I think my favorites of what I've tried so far is either brit or le male (i cant really decide if brit is for me) and Aqua di Gio.

I'm stilling looking to try Boss Bottled, Body Kouros, and possibly 1 million.
    I'm not really worried about getting something to common I just want something that will be good for an underclassmen in college.
    What do you think would be best for me? Also I'm in the Northern US so most of the school year is cold.

Overcome By Fumes

Welcome to the group. Why are you asking us which would be best for you? You should get the ones you like best, not what some consensus of forum members declare. Nobody knows what you like or what smells best on you better than you. We know what we like and have the audacity to think we know what smells best on others, but if you have a nose of your own, go with it. If you find that you enjoy fragrances a lot, you may develop more refined tastes and perhaps your ideas about what is good on you may change, but there are people with great noses who completely disagree on whether any given fragrance is good or not. Your collection of popular fragrances to consider is a reasonable one. Smell them for yourself. Smell some less popular ones too...the most original or interesting fragrances are not generally the most popular. McDonalds hamburgers are a very popular meal but most people would not argue that they are the best meal a person could get. Have fun!

+1 on Boss Bottled

Basenotes Plus

From your list i'd say go with boss bottled. Outside of that depends on your vibe / personality i think. Here's what'd recommend:

If you're the casual kick back type: try out Gendarme by Gendarme. Smells like fresh clothes, almost as if you're not wearing cologne.

Or, try Chanel Allure Sport

Outgoing fun party always down for a good times vibe: Paco one million - can be a little cloying to some but that's also good (younger girls seem to LOVE it.)
    Also, Ed Hardy's Love & Luck or sean jean's unforgivable are pretty similar to creed's MI, which women love. Pretty fun vibe and versatile.

Works for any mood almost: bleu de chanel - girls dig it. versatile. smells good.

Hope that helps!

From this list, any of the following:

Boss Bottled
    L'instant de Guerlain
    Burberry Brit
    Body Kouros
    Terre d'Hermes

is stylish, trendy, without being too common, plus good quality for the retail prices and extremely suitable for the college-age group.

I'm also in college in the northern US, so perhaps I can help a little. If you are looking for year round fragrances, it grows a little hard for me because I rarely wear the same thing two days in a row, never mind two weeks in a row. That's not to say I have a lot of fragrances, but rather I like rotating them and changing it up.

Anyway, I'd suggest you either get one or two splits of something, or one or two inexpensive frags like Pure Malt for Fall/Winter and CW or AdG for Spring/Summer. However, I'm a big fan of niche, specifically Creed. So, I'd go with two splits, one of GIT and one for anything else you want, perhaps a decant of another nice fragrance for the winter like TV (or Eau de Beaux for cheap).

If you offer more direction for me, I'll help you out further. Also feel free to PM me.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3, but would really only like to get 2 to start off with.

Acqua di Gio- I'm wondering if this is more of a warmer weather scent and if I should wait until the spring to get it.
    Boss Bottled and YSL L'Homme - I really like these two but I'm wondering if there two much alike for my first two scents.

From your list i would go
    Aqua di Gio
    L'instant de Guerlain
    Terre d'Hermes