Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I think I may have discovered the best chocolate scent yet!

Okay, after reading Basteri's chocolate thread with interest, I decided to read some older threads on the same subject. I was originally going to add this to his recent thread but eventually decided against it.

I have to say that most chocolate scents have failed to fully satisfy. Here's what I can recall trying:

Borneo 1834: Nice but it seems thiner than the classic Lutens offerings with average longevity.
    A*Men: I don't like the tar note, the darkness of the chocolate or the 'juvenile' bottle design. Plus it's too common...
    Aomassai: This one was almost spot-on but it should have been an EDP (and, therefore, with better lasting power). I wait in hope...
    Hanae Mori: an interesting take on chocolate but it bored me after a few wearings. I ended up giving my unfinished bottle away.
    Rochas Man: Pleasant and creamy but too soft, with not much sillage or longevity (that applies to the intense version as well).
    Lolita Lempicka: Nice but crap longevity.
    Amour de Cacao: Okay-ish but crap longevity.
    Coze: Strange with crap longevity [see a pattern forming here?]
    New Haarlem: Even if this was the best of the bunch I wouldn't give any of my money to this company. Period.
    Spicy Cocoa: Too synthetic for my liking (and also discontinued).
    Very Irresistable: Utterly gross and synthetic.
    Douce Amère: Lovely but too soft and with disappointing longevity.
    Chocolate Greedy: The cardboard accord is irritating and it doesn't last as long as most Montales.
    Néonatura Cocoon: I wasn't completely sold on it but the price is fabulous.
    Blue Agave and Cacao: One of the worst I've tried - it's just downright weird!
    Attitude: No lasting power and lacking any real depth.
    Anything by Ava Luxe: No, thanks!

Il Profumo is the only house that I have yet to investigate (please tell me if I've missed any other worthy releases). I'll probably investigate their offerings soon.

However, yesterday, I did discover one chocolate scent that may be The One: Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin (from a sample that a good friend sent to me recently). Yes, it's bloody expensive, it's not ground-breaking and the bottle design is uninspired but it seems to have touched all the bases that the above failed to. Gourmand Coquin has lovely sillage and great longevity, smells very natural and creamy, and the interplay of vanilla and chocolate has made me swoon. I still need to test it a couple more times but I've been very impressed by it over the last 24 hours (it was actually my SOTD).

Please feel free to agree or disagree, as I may need to be talked out of investing in a bottle of this...
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd December 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: I think I may have discovered the best chocolate scent yet!

You might hate it, but L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme does have chocolate cake in it, as well as other, woody accords. I owned the EDT once but now I await the EDP which should be on my doorstep soon. I've heard it's even more powerfully chocolate.

I love Aomassai 10 too, it's great. Not quite full-bottle worthy, though. I agree than an EDP should be in order.
    Last edited by dynendal; 2nd December 2008 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    You might hate it, but L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme does have chocolate cake in it, as well as other, woody accords. I owned the EDT once but now I await the EDP which should be on my doorstep soon. I've heard it's even more powerfully chocolate.

I love Aomassai 10 too, it's great. Not quite full-bottle worthy, though. I agree than an EDP should be in order.
    Yes, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme did spring to mind but I couldn't recall it being a true chocolate fragrance. But you're right - I didn't like it!

Rochas Desir has one of smoothest Cadbury dairy milk accord in its opening, thereby metling into other accords by mids...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Rochas Desir has one of smoothest Cadbury dairy milk accord in its opening, thereby metling into other accords by mids...
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I find that Rochas fragrances lack any real longevity on my skin (Lui, however, did but was too close to the skin). How is longevity on you?

New Haarlem get's my chocoliscious vote. Why are you boycotting Bond 09?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I find that Rochas fragrances lack any real longevity on my skin (Lui, however, did but was too close to the skin). How is longevity on you?
    Lui is a sillage mosnter on me. behaves like an parfum extract. Desir, i sampled on wrist in a mall. i felt it had a pretty decent sillage... also, good quality stuff from Rochas...very refined.

and on Bonds, im totally with ya. what a waste...(only riverside drive came a lil close and still to sample chinatown and andy warhol SF...i hope these two don't let me down)

I really enjoy both Rochas Man and Lolita Lempicka. I have no longevity issues with either, and am only commenting because LLAM absolutely refuses to die on me and I find it odd that your only negative was that it doesn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
    I really enjoy both Rochas Man and Lolita Lempicka. I have no longevity issues with either, and am only commenting because LLAM absolutely refuses to die on me and I find it odd that your only negative was that it doesn't last.
    I really envy you! I've tried both versions of Lolita Lempicka, without much success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    New Haarlem get's my chocoliscious vote. Why are you boycotting Bond 09?
    For reasons discussed in previous Bond No.9 bashing threads BUT New Haarlem is quite good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    New Haarlem: Even if this was the best of the bunch I wouldn't give any of my money to this company. Period.
    Bond No. 9 are great! They're business is flourishing here in NYC. Soon to take over more!
    Last edited by everso; 2nd December 2008 at 10:00 PM.

Trebor - thanks for sharing. A*men also seems a bit crude to me these days but I have to second dynendal's appreciation of l'instant extreme EDP. I find the chocolate accord to be less cloying.

Is the chocolate note in Gourmand Coquin a bitter dark one?

Blog Entries

I'm kind of surprised by some of the candidates you considered - Douce Amere to me has nothing to do with chocolate, and Aomassai strikes me as more about burnt caramel/toffee. My pick might have been Chocolate Greedy - I had a sample of it a fair while ago which I swapped, but I seem to remember it having a very sweet, chocolate-icing kind of vibe going on (I don't recall any cardboard). If I were looking for chocolate, re-sampling that would probably be my first step.

I don't think Gourmand Coquin is a bad choice, though, if it fits what you're looking for. To me, chocolate is present, but the focus is not on chocolate as much as the spices and the cinnamon-bun angle. I think I'd have said that Chocolate Greedy smells more realistically like chocolate, whereas Gourmand Coquin has more of a chocolatey feel or atmosphere to it. Then again, maybe what I perceive as doughiness, you perceive as chocolatiness, so it's hard to say!

Sorry to be so equivocal! I think GC is definitely a nice scent, and it is indeed deliciously warm and smooth and creamy, but I don't know if it's worth the money. Have you tried Iris Ganache? Personally I like GC better, but I think you should smell IG if you're looking for a comprehensive survey of chocolatey scents.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Is the chocolate note in Gourmand Coquin a bitter dark one?
    It's a tad dark but, with the vanilla, quite creamy. I do detect a slight rum note but this is quite subtle. I don't get any pepper but I need more time to live with it. I would say it's what Rochas Man should have been. It's not girly or overly sweet and cloying but well-balanced with a slight sophistication about it.

As I mentioned before, the price has made me hesitate big time. Therefore, some of the recommendations (both listed or unlisted in my OP) I may revisit just to be sure.
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd December 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Gourmand Coquin sounds really good Trebor. Where was I when this was released, I haven't even heard of this one? Is this one of those new ones that came out recently, in a trio, for women? The one with the overflowing ad copy that many blogs were spoofing?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I'm kind of surprised by some of the candidates you considered - Douce Amere to me has nothing to do with chocolate, and Aomassai strikes me as more about burnt caramel/toffee. My pick might have been Chocolate Greedy - I had a sample of it a fair while ago which I swapped, but I seem to remember it having a very sweet, chocolate-icing kind of vibe going on (I don't recall any cardboard). If I were looking for chocolate, re-sampling that would probably be my first step.

I don't think Gourmand Coquin is a bad choice, though, if it fits what you're looking for. To me, chocolate is present, but the focus is not on chocolate as much as the spices and the cinnamon-bun angle. I think I'd have said that Chocolate Greedy smells more realistically like chocolate, whereas Gourmand Coquin has more of a chocolatey feel or atmosphere to it. Then again, maybe what I perceive as doughiness, you perceive as chocolatiness, so it's hard to say!

Sorry to be so equivocal! I think GC is definitely a nice scent, and it is indeed deliciously warm and smooth and creamy, but I don't know if it's worth the money. Have you tried Iris Ganache? Personally I like GC better, but I think you should smell IG if you're looking for a comprehensive survey of chocolatey scents.
    Thanks for your input. Yeah, I'm sure a couple in my list aren't essentially chocolate scents but, from my memory, they seemed to fall into this category. I'll defintely add Iris Ganache to my shortlist. Chocolate Greedy, although a decent chocolate scent, left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied by those one or two unbecoming notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gourmand Coquin sounds really good Trebor. Where was I when this was released, I haven't even heard of this one? Is this one of those new ones that came out recently, in a trio, for women? The one with the overflowing ad copy that many blogs were spoofing?
    Yep, that's the one - the Elixir Charnel line. Unfortunately most of the blog sites were very sceptical of this line. I think the price may have been a major factor. As for the ad copy, more attention seems to have been on this than the fragrances themselves! The only other one I tried was Oriental Brulant - it's probably the closest to smelling like a true Guerlain but it didn't move me.
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd December 2008 at 10:26 PM.

I've never come across it either. I guess it's back up to Bergdorf soon.

Wow, Rochas Man lasts 12-24 hours on me. It's way up the list for longevity on my skin along with Escentric 01, Nasomatto Duro, and Rive Gauche.
    Last edited by JonB; 2nd December 2008 at 11:08 PM.

The longevity for Amour de Cacao is great for me, so it's got a place in the rotation. Allure Sensuelle comes across as chocolate-ish, and again, it's good for every couple of weeks or so. A*Men I need to be in the mood for, same with Borneo 1834. The rest I don't like for one reason or another. Ava Luxe's Sweet Absinthe did come across to me as chocolate-ish too, but I had a small sample and swapped it off, so I can't go back to it and try it again.

I believe that Serendipity 3 Serendipitous is made by the famous dessert restaurant in NYC. This is a very deep chocolate frag.

Many claim that Serendipity 3 Serendipitous is nearly identical to Amour de Cacao, but I never tried it.

Every try Mat; Chocolat? I think it's pretty darn good but the longevity is lacking.

My Holy Grail chocolate is TF Noir de Noir. The truffle and rose combination rocks my world.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

What is the name of the thread you wrote about not liking Bond No 9?

thenmarcher: That's very interesting. I've found that a prominent rose note can really ruin a frag for me. Now that is an issue of taste for sure, but I wonder why some like florals, which undeniably don't smell bad, whereas I need the florals to be overwhelmed by something else. A good example is Tumulte for women. The heliotrope and patchouli overwhelm the florals, and I like it. I guess it would be interesting to start a thread about notes that BNers hate. LOL.

Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin sounds interesting, I'll have to check into it.

Some more suggestions to try:

Eau de Cacao by Coppeneur is a superb chocolate but whose longevity is, as you say, crap.

Try Fresh's Fleurs de Chocolat Mikado. I've had pretty good luck with it.

Basenotes Institution

Trebor, I tried Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale tonight for the first time and when I sprayed it I instantly thought of you: cocoa nib oriented chocolate with a vanilla-ish tonka middle note. Plus musk, I'm guessing, but I might be anosmic to that part of it. Not nutty, not too sweet - perhaps the crispest gourmand I've ever smelled. Give it a try!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Trebor, I tried Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale tonight for the first time and when I sprayed it I instantly thought of you: cocoa nib oriented chocolate with a vanilla-ish tonka middle note. Plus musk, I'm guessing, but I might be anosmic to that part of it. Not nutty, not too sweet - perhaps the crispest gourmand I've ever smelled. Give it a try!
    Mike, you beat me to it! I was about to say that Musc Maori is more about chocolate than Aomassai - which is more about caramel. Both are very gourmand.

Oh yes, glad to see Musc Maori getting a mention. I do, however, prefer it much more on a woman... but if a man can pull it off, why not!

Also, have you tried Persephone by Sali Oguri yet? One of the best chocolates I've ever come across yet, again, *may* feel slightly feminine to some but a man can pull it off I reckon.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Trebor: I'm interested whether your subsequent testings of Gourmand Couquin went well - are you still smitten?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Trebor: I'm interested whether your subsequent testings of Gourmand Couquin went well - are you still smitten?
    Mike, I'm still smitten with Gourmand Coquin but remain on the fence. Recently, I've finally clicked with SL's Chene and am going to get a bell jar, while in Paris. Since the plan was to get two scents max (a Montale would be the other) Gourmand Coquin may have to wait. In addition, I also need to test Black Intensive Aoud by Mancera, so I'm in a bit of a tight spot. Besides, although it ticks all the require boxes, my only criticism is that it doesn't smell distinctive enough. However, who knows? I may just go crazy, once I arrive!

i just tried this today - Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin - and i agree that it is terrific (if you like chocolate).

edit: i really hated the girly looking bottle. also the price is a bit high for this imo
    Last edited by union1411; 26th January 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Talking about L`Instant.. It`s not chocolate, but more like bitter, cocoa beans.. But it`s inspired by a chocolate-pastill and a mediterian-drink. In my opinion, a real masterpiece!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 26th January 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Arghhhhh!!!

Gourmand Coquin is the only one I have not tried from the new Guerlain Trilogy (whatever the name of the collection is). I LOVED Oriental Brulant, and Chypre Fatale was pretty good.

It is a must try now!!!

For me if we speak purely about chocolate it is New Harlem. Also tbh rochas man is quite close and of course like 3-4 times cheaper. The first one is more delicate and complex, and is the best to my nose. But for its price man is rather nice.

I love L instand EDP also..
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I ended up buying L Instant Extreme and it is a winner. Love the bottle as well.
    Interesting all the different options mentioned here, it makes me want more chocolate, because L Instant is not really about pure chocolate but rather creamy sweet cocoa.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

New Haarlem is a great scent...... but some how dotn get chocolate.... but burnt woods and incense....and somtimes somthing sweet but not necessary a choclota note.

Trebor, since you tried Borneo, have you tried Coromandel?

I thought about another suggestion for chocolate: Guerlain's Iris Granache

if you like chacoalte I wouls suggest Agarcenst's 'Le Monde du Chocolat'. You can find it here:

http://www.agarscentsbazaar.com/serv...HOCOLAT/Detail

Shariff the owner and perfumer of Agarscents makes some pretty nice mixtures. The advantage though goes totally to the quality of his ingrediants. He uses the real deal. When you read 'Musk" in the ingrediants it is real deers musk and so on. I have a sample of this oil and the quality is obvious.

3ml , that would last me a week !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Oh yes, glad to see Musc Maori getting a mention. I do, however, prefer it much more on a woman... but if a man can pull it off, why not!

Also, have you tried Persephone by Sali Oguri yet? One of the best chocolates I've ever come across yet, again, *may* feel slightly feminine to some but a man can pull it off I reckon.

Best chocolate with the best quality ingredients is Persephone by Sali Oguri. I share a bottle with my Wife.

The 3ml is very potent. half of a drop is plenty. 1 drop would be almost annoyingly strong. I have alot of Agarscents oils and trust me they are extreamly strong some of them are in fact essential oils or close in strength.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Trebor, since you tried Borneo, have you tried Coromandel?
    Ditto:
    Coromandel is white chocolate and patch.

For "purely chocolate" scents, I personally prefer PG's Musc Maori over Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin, especially considering the price. (They both share the same idea/concept)

You can get 100ml of MM for about 140$ via TPS in Canada. You'd then save 80$, which can be saved for anything else.

For Guerlain's, I prefer Iris Ganache over Gourmand Coquin as I find it is more unique, has more character, and most importantly, works better on my skin.

For other Parfumerie Generale's, Aomassai's longevity is way better than Coze. (and is much more interesting than Musc Maori as well IMO) In the longevity department, I find it sufficient as long as I use liberal amounts.

I don't like Montale's chocolate-y offerings. Chocolate Greedy smells like those chocolate flavored wafer sticks with a hint of something inedible.
    Last edited by moltening; 27th January 2009 at 07:52 AM.

Hey man, you clearly left out the newest, hippest chocolate fragrance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgfzdgWgEZ4

Strangest mainstream fragrance add ever...

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Give Fresh Cannabis Santal a go. I get the most amazing chocolate drydown from it.

I'd like to mention Amorito from TBS. Inexpensive and a very nice chocolate scent loved by many. If you like your perfume but want to add chocolate to it just wear Amorito as well. I like to combine Vanilia and Amorito and it's much better than Amour from CsP.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Bump it up , I cant seem to find any good reviews of Profumo Amber Chocolate and Im interested to hear if any BN'ers have experienced it and their opinions . Im intrigued by the name and description

the chocolate note used in fragrances is always synthetic or they use natural ingredients?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Cher Monsieur,
    you will find a good review at: http://noteworthyfragrances.blogspot...chocolate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Bump it up , I cant seem to find any good reviews of Profumo Amber Chocolate and Im interested to hear if any BN'ers have experienced it and their opinions . Im intrigued by the name and description

I am usually accepting of all Guerlain fragrances and always give them the benefit of the doubt.... I love the other two Les Elixirs Charnels and have a bottle of one and half bottle of the other. Thus I was pretty surprised when I didn't like Gourmand Coquin. It seems to me to be a watered down version of PG Musc Maori. It's not 'bad', but given the price and how good the other two in the line are, it seems like a lost opportunity for Guerlain to do something better. I've found I don't like to wear straight-chocolate fragrances, but I'd take Musc Maori if I had to pick one.

I know the post was from a couple months ago, but it's unfortunate that Trebor creates such rigid purchasing/sampling rules that may prevent experiencing/owning good fragrances. New Haarlem is a great fragrance (but he won't give Bond 9 any business), and of the many Ava Luxe fragrances I've samples, they are almost uniformly of excellent quality and construction. Also, Aomassai lasts a long time on my skin 8-10 hours, perhaps it's worth another try... likewise with Borneo 1834 (which I find to have excellent sillage).

Has anyone got anything new to add here? Quite a good thread so far...
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

to spend only a few bucks.. lynx or axe - dark temptation will fit pretty nice for the edt and deospray I think.
    unico grande amore.

Although not a pure chocolate and/or single note chocolate frag, I love the chocolate note in Endymion by Penhaligon's.

By FARRRRR my favorite chocolate is Frapin 1270. It's sweet, but I find the sweetness attributed more to the fruit, and the chocolate being bittersweet. Absolutely beautiful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yes, I have tried some of the fragrances mentioned, but I am in love with Gourmand Coquin. I bought a bottle last summer and it is love.

I also tried Borneo 1834 and was instant love. Hopefully I will get some soon!

I was disappointed about Iris Ganache, some iris perfumes don't get along with me, and this one was a disaster.
    Evenstar

Missoni : Gianduia...Tootsie Rolls!

Rochas Man is fairly chocolaty..Not appropriate for my personal tastes..though is stated as a well made gourmand frag from many other Basenoters Perspectives!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Have to bump this thread as I'm in a bit of a chocolate rush lately; how is Il Profumo's Chocolate Amere?