Code of Conduct

Default Fumerie Turque reformulation?

I sampled Fumerie Turque and Borneo 1834 about 3/4 years ago. I loved both. Now I'm thinking to buy one of them (probably Fumerie Turque, probably both!) but I'm afraid about reformulations. Could you tell me something about this? I no have idea.

Cheers

Default Re: Fumerie Turque reformulation?

Personally not aware of the former being altered.

I have not seen or heard anything about any of those two reformulated. Only thing with Fumerie Turque is now available in the Jar belle media.

Just stopped by local Barney's yesterday to check on Borneo 1834; they don't have it in stock anymore

I read it has similarities to Tokyo Milk crushed/bulletproof. Does anyone here feel the same way?
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Basenotes Plus

I was at Barney's last month, and tried Fumerie Turque. It smelled identical to what I remember previously.

As noted by Oupavoc above, it is no longer available in the 50ml export, unless you are able to find one out there. Only availale in the $290.00 Bell Jar and even that is hit or miss.

In his 2009 guide, Luca Turin reports that FT was less rich than first smelled. But it's not clear what he refers to. As others have pointed out, FT was sold for a period also in the export bottles, and it is never clear whether the export bottles are the same as the exclusive bell jars. Now it is sold only in the bell jars (which in Paris cost much less than the $290 Barneys NYC charges). When I smelled it there, it felt very rich and warm.

I still see Borneo in the export bottle now and then, but I've never seen FT in them.

cacio

I read what Turin said as well, but the decant I got, and then the partial bottle (in the square export bottle) both smelled really good. Folks don't seem to agree on how to decipher Lutens batch codes, so I can't tell you how old my bottle is, and all I can really say is that there still is some good stuff out there if you can manage to locate it.

Export bottles on E-bay probably all date back to the time when it was being exported to North America, but I can't tell you how long ago that was. Several years ago though.

Count me among those who believe that almost all newly marketed versions of older frags have been reformulated to conform to IFRA regulations. I suppose there are some fragrances which never contained any of the restricted materials (could that be true ?) and so remain the same as always, but I suspect that most frags were in violation to one degree or another.

I don't think Lutens reformulated Fumerie Turque to comply with IRFA regulations. They most likely did that on their own volition.

Luca Turin made a comment about the reformulations 3 years ago ( as Cacio mentioned). I am not sure if there have been any changes since. I have a decant that smells wonderful, but not sure which "batch" it is from ( it is from over 3 years ago).

Basenoter Trebor has also commented on this extensively.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I have a bottle from the year it was released and although it was more dry and stronger in tobacco (imo) it's still in a good state, you can buy it with tranquility whatever the version you find (export or 75ml).

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-PSo worth etit View Post
    .... you can buy it with tranquility whatever the version you find (export or 75ml).
    I'd tend to agree: it certainly made a big impression on me the first time I tried it.

So worth at try....if you can find it, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I have a bottle from the year it was released and although it was more dry and stronger in tobacco (imo) it's still in a good state, you can buy it with tranquility whatever the version you find (export or 75ml).
    Good to know, thanks!
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Quote Originally Posted by googl.plex1 View Post
    Just stopped by local Barney's yesterday to check on Borneo 1834; they don't have it in stock anymore

I read it has similarities to Tokyo Milk crushed/bulletproof. Does anyone here feel the same way?
    I have tried Bulletproof, but the strong coconut note makes it quite different from Borneo.

On the other hand, I have the 50 ml of FT and the tobacco scent is really strong.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Fumerie Turque isn't what it used to be. Who knows exactly, but it's as if the amount of things like styrax, peru balsam, tonka bean and birch tar have been reduced, leaving it more watery, powdery, slightly less tenacious, a little less exciting in general. Still recognizable and not bad at all, but some of the grandeur is gone.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th August 2014 at 04:52 AM.

I'm assuming you're smelling a new bell jar and comparing it to either old bells or the export 50ml's?

Call me crazy but as pretty as the bell jars are I'd still much rather just have all 50ml sprayers and it's almost impossible to find Borneo in that form now.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I'm assuming you're smelling a new bell jar and comparing it to either old bells or the export 50ml's?

Call me crazy but as pretty as the bell jars are I'd still much rather just have all 50ml sprayers and it's almost impossible to find Borneo in that form now.
    I have 15mls of the darker juice. The girl who sold it to me told me it was from a recent bell jar. Fortunately it’s not the kind of reformulation that destroys the balance of the fragrance. It’s still plenty good. I've had three bottles of the original stuff in the spray/splash bottles. Sold two of them. I've always loved Fumerie Turque, but it's one of those that I just like to have around to smell more so than actually wearing it on any kind of consistent basis. FT and Chergui were a couple of the first things that got my attention a long time ago but I've never worn either of them all that much.

Right. I'd never leave the juice in a bell jar. I sure as hell don’t want the stuff to be repeatedly exposed to oxygen.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th August 2014 at 04:55 AM.