Code of Conduct

Default Borneo 1834 vs. LIDGE

I have LIDGE, and while I enjoy it, I sometimes find myself wanting a more bitter cocoa with less sweetness.

I know Lutens' scents are often very sweet and syrupy, so am I barking up the wrong tree hoping to get less sweetness/more bitterness from Borneo 1834? From my sampling of Iris Silver Mist I know not everything he does is warm, sweet and syrupy.

Any thoughts on how these two compare, or other suggestions for non-sweet, bitter or smoky cocoa scents much appreciated.

Default Re: Borneo 1834 vs. LIDGE

Hard to say. Borneo is wonderful stuff to my mind, and probably heavier and a bit more edgy and brutal than LIDGE, but it's something a lot of people enjoy, myself included, and as one of the classics in the Lutens line, it certainly wouldn't be a waste of time to search out a sample. It may open with some sweetness, but ends up pretty dry in the drydown.

Both are a tad different IMO with the Lutens being more intense IMO. Both wonderful.

More bitter and less sweet certainly would be a fair description of Borneo 1834 compared to LIDGE, I think.

B1834 sounds like what you're looking for.

The cacao in it is not gourmand. Its earthy. And its not a syrupy Lutens either.

B1834 has a good balance of cacao, resins and patchouli. But the patchoul is not overwhelming.

for swap/sale:

Borneo is great, very striking fragrance. And though I own it I don't reach for it much, I think it's because Borneo is so singular that it wears me more than I wear it. Still, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Borneo opens up with a dry down like A*Men. I don't recall getting any citrus in Borneo, although I only tried this once. I recall it to be a complex fragrance with a floral, tobacco, and spicy dry down. Nice, but I didn't find it very wearable, as with many from Serge Lutens, I find them to be too heavy and "thick".
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Borneo isn't a beautiful perfume as LIDGE is, I mean, it is kind of raw, dirty, dusty and with lots of shadows and places to hide (I mean, there are several notes that appear and disappear during the evolution on skin), like a hot, humid jungle of patchouly. Said that, I love Borneo and sense it is pretty much what you search cause it's not very sweet, in fact it is less sweet than LIDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    a bit more edgy and brutal than LIDGE, ...ends up pretty dry in the drydown.
    edgy and brutal, that sounds just like what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

The cacao in it is not gourmand. Its earthy. And its not a syrupy Lutens either.

B1834 has a good balance of cacao, resins and patchouli. But the patchoul is not overwhelming.
    Earthy and non-syrupy, more positives

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I recall it to be a complex fragrance with a floral, tobacco, and spicy dry down.
    I like the sound of that

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    Borneo isn't a beautiful perfume as LIDGE is, I mean, it is kind of raw, dirty, dusty Said that, I love Borneo and sense it is pretty much what you search cause it's not very sweet, in fact it is less sweet than LIDGE.
    I like the beauty and elegance of LIDGE, but feel the call for something more raw, dirty and dusty, and less sweet than LIDGE is a plus.

Damn, sounds like a must sample. Then, if I like it, I'll have to work out whether my limited storage space and remaining resistence to owning too many scents at once will stop me from owning two cocoa-patchouli scents...

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

Exactly what he says here.

This is a great question. I would certainly recommend the Borneo 1834 over LIDGE. I think it is quite a bit better. A few other patchouli fragrances I would recommend trying out are Givenchy Gentleman and Nasomatto Hindu Grass.

For this comparison I'm really more interested in dark, dry cocoa, although I do need to explore patch more. I have sample of Santa Maria Novella's patchouli at home that I'm very much looking forward to trying.