Code of Conduct

Thread: 1st DE Razor

Default 1st DE Razor

I am thinking of purchasing a DE razor for the first time.

What do you think of the Muhle R89?

Default Re: 1st DE Razor

A nice razor, and the closed-comb design makes it a good choice for a first DE. Not too aggressive and well balanced.
    The Merkur 34c is more or less comparable.
    Can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    A nice razor, and the closed-comb design makes it a good choice for a first DE. Not too aggressive and well balanced.
    The Merkur 34c is more or less comparable.
    Can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.
    I was looking at open-comb as well, but do not understand the difference.
    And does aggressive mean a more obtuse angle or something more? I ask because slants seem to be considered more aggressive but they make sense to me as a kitchen freak.

I saw the Merkur comparisons, but it seems the Edwin Jagger and Muhle plating is superior?

I have also been considering an adjustable razor for my first.

I find the open comb to be more agressive as the blade is more exposed on a lot of them. Whilst the closed comb tends to be milder with less blade exposure. I have a Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor which is a closed comb and fairly mild but I use the super sharp feather blades which gives me a mild smooth shave but also a close shave due to the feather blades.

Great thing about DE Razors is it is so cost effective compared to the disposable razors, I get seven to eight shaves out of a feather blade whilst only one out of the disposable ones as they clogg up fast on me.

I don't think an adjustable is a good first razor - when you are starting out, you want to focus on technique, and it's very easy to think that a poor shave is due to the razor setting rather than the angle you are using, how much pressure you are applying, etc.

Also - IMHO - adjustables are vastly overrated. They tend to be more expensive and even though I have a number of classic Gillette adjustables, I rarely use them.

I think the Edwin Jagger DE89 line is a great first razor - it's the same as the Muhle with some minor differences (I think the handle is different but the head is the same.) The EJ tends to be less expensive so I would go with that.

I've not tried the DE89 but my first razor was the Merkur 34C (aka HD or Hefty Classic) and although I've graduated to more aggressive razors, I still shave with the HD on occasion and I'm always impressed at its combination of aggression and forgiveness.

I'm also of the opinion, like insomniac, that adjustables are over-rated. I have a couple of chubbies and slims, a Vision and a Futur. The Futur is pretty damn good, and it's usually close at hand, but the slanthammer and my Micromatic Open Comb give the best shaves for me.

DE89/R89 is very good, I haven't tried the 34C but I'm happy with the quality of my 2 Merkurs. I agree I wouldn't bother with an adjustable to start with. I would also consider a Weber; I recently got one and couldn't be happier, gives a nice smooth shave and is on the mild side. It trumps my DE89 anyway!

http://weberrazor.hostedbyamazon.com...8&title=Razors

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    I was looking at open-comb as well, but do not understand the difference.
    And does aggressive mean a more obtuse angle or something more? I ask because slants seem to be considered more aggressive but they make sense to me as a kitchen freak.

I saw the Merkur comparisons, but it seems the Edwin Jagger and Muhle plating is superior?

I have also been considering an adjustable razor for my first.
    I have the Merkur 25C open comb and I do not like it at all. I can't get it to shave close without having to do two passes in the same direction, and then wind up scraping myself and getting a rash.

I have the Merkur Bakelite which has a big 30 thousandths of an inch blade gap, and steeper blade angle, and it is the most aggressive Merkur I have.

I also have the Merkur Slant, and contrary to sales info I read about it only being good for experienced shavers, I find it fairly mild and easy to use.

And I also have the Merkur 33c, which has a similar head to the 34C, which in turn is fairly similar to the one you are considering. It's not my mildest razor, but it's not too aggressive either.

My Gillette Tech (with 22thou blade gap) and Weber DLC are my mildest razors.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. - It's hard to stop at just one razor!

I have a Merkur Futur, an adjustable DE razor that is terrific for beginners--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I don't think an adjustable is a good first razor - when you are starting out, you want to focus on technique, and it's very easy to think that a poor shave is due to the razor setting rather than the angle you are using, how much pressure you are applying, etc.
    Very true.

I just completed my first week of DE shaving, yesterday finally getting the hang of it, and went with the Edwin Jagger DE898L, really happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    I just completed my first week of DE shaving, yesterday finally getting the hang of it, and went with the Edwin Jagger DE898L, really happy with it so far.
    Good to hear. What did you use for lather?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Congrats, Ulsterman and welcome to the club !
    Like Renato, I'm curious too about your lather.

Thanks Gents, I bought a few that I've liked so far.From Taylor of Old Bond Street, Lemon Lime and Avocado. And I just got myself a tube of I Coloniali Cream with Rhubarb, which smells like warm sweet incense. The TOBS lathers wonderfully, I will test the I Coloniali this morning.

The lemon lime smells soapy clean with as hint of lime, and the avocado is very green and fresh.

I bought myself a Semogue 1305 Board brush to lather it with, but am thin king of picking up a Simpson as well in badger. Maaybe a Colonel or Emperor.

Great stuff.
    A quality badger brush makes the experience that much better, I find: it creates superior lather and just feels so good on the face.

Thanks Gents, I bought a few that I've liked so far.From Taylor of Old Bond Street, Lemon Lime and Avocado. And I just got myself a tube of I Coloniali Cream with Rhubarb, which smells like warm sweet incense. The TOBS lathers wonderfully, I will test the I Coloniali this morning.

The lemon lime smells soapy clean with as hint of lime, and the avocado is very green and fresh.

I bought myself a Semogue 1305 Board brush to lather it with, but am thin king of picking up a Simpson as well in badger. Maaybe a Colonel or Emperor.
    I see someone has caught the DE shaving bug!
    I mainly use a boar brush for some of my stubborn hard soaps like L'Occitane's Cade, and a badger for softer soaps and creams.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd February 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hey, congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood of Shaving. The more you learn with a DE razor, the more spectacular shaves you will achieve. You will actually come to enjoy shaving. Good for you!

I find myself looking forward to it more and more, even when during my first few shaves I was razor burning myself to death, something about it made me want to to keep trying to get a better shave.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's shave was the most enjoyable so far, the fact that I've developed some technique and the I Coloniali was absolutely a pleasure to use. Great shave!

I find myself looking forward to it more and more, even when during my first few shaves I was razor burning myself to death, something about it made me want to to keep trying to get a better shave.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's shave was the most enjoyable so far, the fact that I've developed some technique and the I Coloniali was absolutely a pleasure to use. Great shave!
    That's a good outcome, but is it your technique that has improved, or is it that you've worn the blade in and it now feels comfortable?

If razor burn continues to be a problem with new blades, you can either buy milder blades (like Shark Stainless Steel) or cork your current sharp ones (before first use, push blade into a wine cork a few millimeters, then run the blade out the side once).

Anyhow, you are more resilient than me. When one of my razor/soap/blade combinations hit me with severe razor burn, I just go back to gentle electric for a day or two (it's only gentle because I figured out a preparation routine that makes it gentle).
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 3rd February 2013 at 12:57 AM.

It was certainly a technique issue for me. In my first week I used two different blades. PolSilver SI for the first two shaves and nicked and burnt my face both times. Then I switched to Personna Red's for shaves 3-5. Shave three was a similar massacre. Four a mild improvement. I had my no pressure epiphany on shave five and today was shave six with a brand new Personna Red and it was the best shave yet.

It was certainly a technique issue for me. In my first week I used two different blades. PolSilver SI for the first two shaves and nicked and burnt my face both times. Then I switched to Personna Red's for shaves 3-5. Shave three was a similar massacre. Four a mild improvement. I had my no pressure epiphany on shave five and today was shave six with a brand new Personna Red and it was the best shave yet.
    Glad you've figured it out. PolSilver seems like a good candidate for corking if you don't want to throw them out just yet.
    Cheers,
    Renato

They are very highly regarded on the forums. I might give them another shot now that my technique is better.

They are very highly regarded on the forums. I might give them another shot now that my technique is better.
    Astra SPs are often highly regarded too - but I have to cork them. Oddly, Feather blades haven't been problematic for me yet.
    Cheers,
    Renato

....I had my no pressure epiphany on shave five and today was shave six with a brand new Personna Red and it was the best shave yet.
    Seems like you figured it out.
    The trick is to apply as little pressure as possible: a difficult habit to break after using cartridge razors ( especially those with pivoting heads ).
    Let you fingers be a fulcrum.
    It's all about developing muscle memory. Soon enough you'll be whizzing about with that EJ like a speed demon.

Quick update: with the apologies to (almost off-topic, I admit) selfishly bumping this thread, seriously considering getting a Muhle myself. But the store only sells the razor but strangely no matching razorblades. Sounds strange, yet they had the guts, the knowledge and the entrepreneurship to supply the razor, yet oddly NOT the matching blades. Thus, kindly requesting any advice and gratefully calling upon the experience of Basenotes wet shaving connoisseurs: what blades to get online to match the Muhle (additional details: the store is very secretive and/or simply uninformed about the serial number, commercial denomination etc. of this Muhle razor, second detail: thankfully, there is at least one local site supplying traditional Blades as Derby, Feather, Rotbart etc. quite cheaply). Many thanks again.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 1st April 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: some additional details

Sounds mysterious! Any Double-Edged blade should do; everyone has their favourites. Derbys are OK; I find them a bit too mild and prefer Personna Platinum Chrome or Astra Platinums. Feathers are very sharp, at the other extreme; I wouldn't bother with those as a beginner. Connaught shaving do a sample pack of various popular options.