Code of Conduct

Default SL Sarrasins: Jasmine with leather

I have been in search for the ultimate dandy fragrance: something suitable for a 6'3" tower of raw, testosterone-filled Gallic masculinity encased in a Savile Row suit, brimming with indoles and leather straight out of the 1830s.

I tried A La Nuit and Molinard Jasmin and really enjoyed the jasmine, but it needed more "tally ho" sporting punch, suitable for wear at the opera or ballet, over the gaming tables and then to the flat of one's mistress. Enough longevity to return back to one's mother-in-law's house and one's wife, who may well be in the arms of her latest lover.

This is a scent suitable for the boudoir or the Hyde Park hack.

You know who I mean...

I found all this in SL Sarrasins. It has longevity plus a wonderful jasmine with leather. Jasmine with no apologies.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: SL Sarrasins: Jasmine with leather

So true! Completely agree, very special stuff.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

It's so funny you posted this because I just received my bottle yesterday.

I had only had previous experience with the wax sample of it...let me tell you it's 1000x better than that! The actual juice is a gorgeous and rich jasmin with fruits and leather. I honestly don't find it too dirty or indolic, but I know it's been described that way. The more I explore Serge, the more I find that while the sweeter fragrances are popular the real standouts are the florals.

I swear I can still see the stain on my skin from applying it. That is some DARK juice.

Here is a picture I took with the flash actually behind the bottle, letting almost no light through.

Agree with the love for Sarrasins. And also agree that to me it is not "dirty" in the usual sense. Yes, indolic jasmine, but not dirty. Rather, closer in spirit to osmanthus. I just bought a backup bottle in my last trip to Paris.

cacio

To me it doesn't smell leather at all, but i adore this scent.
    Beyond the jasmine i smell the carnation, fruity osmanthus with a more animalic base.

I really like Serge Lutens perfumes, am passionate about jasmin (A la Nuit is one of my most enjoyed frags) and I love animalic and leather fragrances. Sarrasins is in my wish list. How about its projection?

The leather is not like in Cuir Mauresque, but is evident in the drydown.

The top notes of jasmine pack a punch in the first hour or so, but it calms down for a wonderful blend of fruits and florals.

I actually prefer the Sarrasins to A La Nuit.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

A very nice scent indeed.

It took a few tries, but I do love it. And I don't even care about jasmine all that much. I put on a sweater that had remnants of Sarrasins from a prior wearing of it, and the ethereal scent that surrounded me was incredible.

I would love a bottle but I think La Myrrhe is a higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

I actually prefer the Sarrasins to A La Nuit.
    Me too. On a languid Summer's evening, it is magnificent.

I think the more I wear this, the more I am happy to get past the strong opening of jasmine.

It has a leathery facet on me, too. I agree it's a lot about osmanthus, too. One of the very few Lutens in a bell jar that works better sprayed than splashed. Sarrasins on a summer's night? I think it would be too much for me. I prefer it in the cool.

Basenotes Plus

It definitely has a more masculine presence than A La Nuit. One of the best from the house imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Sarrasins on a summer's night? I think it would be too much for me. I prefer it in the cool.
    Interesting. To me, it has a sort of inherent, cool(ing) aspect. It takes a bit of ambient warmth to really blossom on my skin, hence I really only wear it during the Summer. Or perhaps I'm just unimaginative and unable to dissociate jasmine with warmer weather.

I don't get the leather that much either. I definitely like it WAY more than Ŕ La Nuit. It's just better balanced and not screechy at all. Probably my favourite jasmine fragrance, and I like jasmine a lot!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

A beginner question: what does Jasmine smells like? I think I never tried a jasmine soliflore fragrance...it sounds very feminine to me, but maybe I'm wrong. And I love leather scents, so I'm curious
    Last edited by socalwoman; 8th December 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    A beginner question: what does Jasmine smells like? I think I never tried a jasmine soliflore fragrance...it sounds very feminine to me, but maybe I'm wrong. And I love leather scents, so I'm curious
    Rodolfo, if you've ever been to Granada or Sevilla, you will have probably smelt jasmine blooming at night. It is obviously a very floral scent, and it is generally used a lot in feminine fragrances, BUT the scent itself can be a very clean soliflore as well as a dirty indolic element of a composition, it is very versatile, and so it is also used in quite a few masculines.
    Apart from that, in some cultures it is not associated with femininity at all. I think I remember reading that in Arabic countries it is a very common male fragrance note. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
    I, for one, wear jasmine proudly. It brightens up my day.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Lloyd, not only in Arab cultures. Throughout Asia really. All the way up to eastern China.
    I cannot speak for China as I am unsure. But till Cambodia Laos its very common for men to wear floral perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Rodolfo, if you've ever been to Granada or Sevilla, you will have probably smelt jasmine blooming at night. It is obviously a very floral scent, and it is generally used a lot in feminine fragrances, BUT the scent itself can be a very clean soliflore as well as a dirty indolic element of a composition, it is very versatile, and so it is also used in quite a few masculines.
    Apart from that, in some cultures it is not associated with femininity at all. I think I remember reading that in Arabic countries it is a very common male fragrance note. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
    I, for one, wear jasmine proudly. It brightens up my day.
    I know that rose is a very common note for men in the Middle East. Rose attar!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Lloyd, not only in Arab cultures. Throughout Asia really. All the way up to eastern China.
    I cannot speak for China as I am unsure. But till Cambodia Laos its very common for men to wear floral perfumes.
    Men have worn florals for centuries, and not just in Asians countries.

In Europe in the 19th century, men wore orange blossom, lilac, ylang ylang (in hair dressing oil) and violet, as well as jasmine.

Jasmine and orange blossom have these indoles. We are not talking "fresh" floral, but scents men can easily wear.

I would say a sampling of something like Molinard Jasmin EDT is a good, inexpensive way to sample jasmine.

I love many jasmines, but this one is the one I always return to.

Thanks for mentioning this scent, I only ask myself why on earth I have never tested it so far (will have to catch up).

*sigh* I still want a bottle of Sarrasins. I got a 5ml roller bottle (decant) and I love it more and more.

Sadly, so far only available at the extortionary prices of Barney's NYC, or, still expensive but more manageable, at the Paris boutique.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Sadly, so far only available at the extortionary prices of Barney's NYC, or, still expensive but more manageable, at the Paris boutique.

cacio
    Yeah....I was wondering if anyone had ordered any of the exclusives from Barney's, and what the experience was like, but I guess that's another topic. I am not planning any trips to New York but I was thinking of ordering by phone.

As for Paris, I guess one would use that shopping-service lady on Ebay? Does she still do that? I'm definitely not going to Paris any time soon.....

But at the end of the day, I could see myself saving up some money over time and just paying whatever for it.

I tested Sarrasins side-by-side with A La Nuit. I'm getting a little powdery feeling from A La Nuit....which isn't always a bad thing, and I do like them both.....but of the two, I far prefer Sarrasins.

I have not ordered the Lutens, but customer service at Barney's is good. the matter is price.

cacio