Code of Conduct

Default I seem to only notice some notes under heat...

I'd like others experiences with this...

Like the title says, I feel like I am missing ENTIRE notes if my skin is cool throughout a day (IE 70 degrees indoors or 50 and below outdoors leaves my skin cool). Some of my fragrances smell ten times better when I breathe on them to heat up the skin and then take another smell. This seems to be isolated to my fruity/floral fragrances.

The ones that only intensify under heat seem to do well on clothes, while the (fruity/floral) ones seem to be even more mediocre on clothes without any form of body heat.

Some examples:
    *Calypso De Robert Piguet (new) - this has an underlying damp fruit amongst the floral that I LOVE but only get when under heat
    *Aventus by Creed - The pineapple seems to explode under heat, whereas I get more smoke without.
    *Hermes Terre d'hermes - If it's too cold out, I feel this gets just a LITTLE sour, apply heat, and it sweetens and smells beautiful.

Others seem to shine without heat in every note, but these seem to be my amber/orientals such as:

*Ambre Fetiche: The spicy amber of this resonates in cold, and only amplifies in heat.
    *Ambre Sultan: Same as Fetiche.

Can anyone share similar experience?

Default Re: I seem to only notice some notes under heat...

Never really paid that much attention to individual notes under certain conditions. I tend to focus more on the overall result.

Are you telling me my Aventus and Terre D'Hermes will smell even better in the heat? Holy crap, summer 2013 I await thee!

Seriously, best time for me to wear Terre was during the summer. I often wear it right after I come out of a hot shower to give me that summer feeling! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Are you telling me my Aventus and Terre D'Hermes will smell even better in the heat? Holy crap, summer 2013 I await thee!
    All the sweet/fruity notes seem to surface under heat to me. Like I said, aventus is smokey and terre d'hemes is sour, until I warm up my skin quite a bit. I REALLY get a sweet pineappe under heat on aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Seriously, best time for me to wear Terre was during the summer. I often wear it right after I come out of a hot shower to give me that summer feeling! ��
    Nice! I will have to try this and see how I feel! I am looking around for non-amber/non-oriental fragrances that really pop to me in the cold, and although I enjoy them, I havent enjoyed anything as much as I like my current collection in the heat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never really paid that much attention to individual notes under certain conditions. I tend to focus more on the overall result.
    Totally understandable. The issue I have is I actually dont really like Calypso when its cold. It's a VERY dry/powdery floral, and the fruit just gets lost (the main reason I enjoyed it inside Neiman's).

It happens sometimes to me too - certain frags become much much richer with heat. I don't wear the ones you mention, so I don't know about them, but a few I remember are No 5 EDT, which almost dies on me in the cold, and Breath of God stick, which is fresh in normal condition, while the smoke comes out only with heat. The extreme situation is at the gym, when, with sweat, even the palest frag becomes noticeable.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Absolutely agree with you. I have noticed for years that when my body temperature is up, fragrances smell a whole lot better and project incredibly on me.

Basenotes Plus

Body chemistry, including temperature, has a significant impact on how scents will present themselves. Warm Oriental scents with amber, vanilla and tonka bean will radiate. Oakmoss is another key base note that shows more clearly with increase in body temperature (and all these mentioned notes are also fixatives - which is key).

However, nothing shows more distinctively different with body temperature than animalic notes - musks, civet, castoreum and ambergris. It actually melds with your natural body aroma and the chemistry between you and the note join in synergy. A very interesting dynamic and weather, humidity and other factors play a part as well.

Intriguing topic as we are coming upon the Winter Solstice...cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen