Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somewhat disappointing experience at Nordstrom today (but good in the end)

I live in the Seattle area but didn't go to the flagship store (just because downtown traffic this time of year is especially painful.) Luckily other locations are pretty well stocked.

The main fragrance person (working for Nordstrom, not a particular brand) wouldn't let me sample Egoiste because "it's an old man's scent." Seriously. Disappointed by Blue de Chanel. She didn't get my taste - I told her what I liked, she pushed Bulgari Aqua (though I'm not into aquatics) and said it had a sandalwood note which... doesn't seem right. Tried Original Penguin which was nice at first (very woody), then I realized it smelled a lot like Tommy Bahama which I already own, alas.

The Tom Ford counter was unstaffed at the time so I got to sample away! Neroli Portofino was very nice. Oud Wood didn't particularly smell like oud. Noir de Noir is very unique and I can see why it is so loved. (Already have decants of GV, TV, and TL.)

The Diptyque person (by contrast) was pretty helpful, nailed my tastes right away when he showed me Vetyverio and Volutes (already own Tam Dao and have a decant of Philosykos which I get to use in the two months we get of summer.) Hard decision there - ended up with the Volutes, and a lot of samples. Vetyverio is on the short list though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Somewhat disappointing experience at Nordstrom today (but good in the end)

I'm glad you found something you like, but I would have to say something to the Sales Associate at the Chanel counter because you missed a great frag in Egoiste just because they thought it is was too old for you?! WTH
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Somewhat disappointing experience at Nordstrom today (but good in the end)

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I'm glad you found something you like, but I would have to say something to the Sales Associate at the Chanel counter because you missed a great frag in Egoiste just because they thought it is was too old for you?! WTH
    There's another Nordstrom that carries it that isn't that far, I may go there. I was a bit offended at being told something was too "old man", I figure I should be the one to make that call, not the SA. To be fair, this wasn't a Chanel rep - the Chanel female frags had their own rep but the male frags were placed with the D&G, Gucci, and other designer frags.

The Diptyques you sampled in the store are all good ones IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nordstroms here in the DC area don't have that many brands I want to buy - I'm impressed that they have Diptyque up there.

All sales assistant have commissions. Once, at my local nordstrom, I bought one Goutal (Sables). I had been first sprayed by one SA. I came back after 1 hr to make the purchase and talked to another one, since the first SA was busy. As I was about to pay, the earlier SA came back to claim the $125 sale - I think the two got close to a cat fight.

So anyway it appears your SA was not in charge of the Egoiste bottle, or perhaps they get a bigger cut if they peddle Blah de Chanel. Funny she tried to dupe you into the supposed sandalwood of Aqua, when the sandalwood king is of course Egoiste ...

Next time there, insist on smelling both Egoiste and that other old-man staple, Antaeus. Look for a male SA in his fifties or sixties, who can thus re-live his earlier clubbing days.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

So "All's well that ends well"
    Sometimes SAs in flagship stores can be so disappointing. The worst is, very often, they are not trained or qualified enough (not to mention having a solid backgroung regarding frangrances) to understand/guide the customer.
    Volutes is an very nice scent. Glad you like it. I own a sample of each concentration - EDT and EDP - and like them very much. My only complain is about sillage/diffusion of both. That's the only thing that still prevent me from buying a full bottle. Would you share your experience?

treeman5823

I didn't even get through reading the rest of your post after reading that disgusting treatment by the sales rep. It's people like him or her that perpetuate stereotypes and overall ignorance.
    Last edited by treeman5823; 19th December 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish the Nordstrom's around me carried such a varied selection. The one's near me are just a step above Macy's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Wish the Nordstrom's around me carried such a varied selection. The one's near me are just a step above Macy's.
    Even around here it depends. This store was in a particularly wealthy suburb thus (from what I could gather) the complete Tom Ford lineup and the Diptyque boutique. Another that isn't in quite as "upper income" an area carries almost no TF whatsoever and doesn't have Diptyque. (Though perhaps they will have an SA that will let me try Egoiste...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I live in the Seattle area but didn't go to the flagship store (just because downtown traffic this time of year is especially painful.) Luckily other locations are pretty well stocked.

The main fragrance person (working for Nordstrom, not a particular brand) wouldn't let me sample Egoiste because "it's an old man's scent." Seriously. Disappointed by Blue de Chanel. She didn't get my taste - I told her what I liked, she pushed Bulgari Aqua (though I'm not into aquatics) and said it had a sandalwood note which... doesn't seem right. Tried Original Penguin which was nice at first (very woody), then I realized it smelled a lot like Tommy Bahama which I already own, alas.

The Tom Ford counter was unstaffed at the time so I got to sample away! Neroli Portofino was very nice. Oud Wood didn't particularly smell like oud. Noir de Noir is very unique and I can see why it is so loved. (Already have decants of GV, TV, and TL.)

The Diptyque person (by contrast) was pretty helpful, nailed my tastes right away when he showed me Vetyverio and Volutes (already own Tam Dao and have a decant of Philosykos which I get to use in the two months we get of summer.) Hard decision there - ended up with the Volutes, and a lot of samples. Vetyverio is on the short list though.
    I went to a Nordstrom in southern Cali and liked how they have Creeds. One thing I didn't like though was how the SA's ambushed me the moment I wanted to sample a Creed fragrance. Right when I picked up a Creed tester, two SA's would literally jump to my side of the counter and strike up a conversation. I prefer to sample on my own and not be forced to talk to them every time I want to try a fragrance.

My sentiments apply to all department store SA's and not just Nordstrom. I feel like they're pressuring me to buy something and half the time they have no idea what they're talking about. I also don't like being rushed. I want to take my time to truly sample a fragrance. That's why I would rather order samples online and enjoy them in the comfort of my home.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

The few trips to a fragrance counter I had haven't been good. My fragrance life is best in the comfort of my home with samples ordered from the internet.

CologneFan85

Horrible sales staff can def ruin a shopping experience. If they are pushy I simply walk away, I hate being spoken to when I am sampling fragrances. I am so glad my girl works at Saks in So Cal ...I can be left ALONE! And I've also noticed most sales people don't know anything about the fragrances...can be rather annoying.

Nordstroms use to have good line ups of fragrances say 7-8 years ago but of late I was not impressed. I only go to NM and Barney's to get good niche fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

That's rather unusual. Maybe you need to modify your appearance the next time and come disguised as an old man.

CologneFan85

As of MANY designer fragrances selection Macy's of DTLA is great. And a good sales staff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I'm not sure where your located in Florida, but the Nordstrom's at Waterside Shops in Naples has quite a wide selection. SA's there were pretty good at not pushing Hanai Mori HiM and Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Horrible sales staff can def ruin a shopping experience. If they are pushy I simply walk away, I hate being spoken to when I am sampling fragrances. I am so glad my girl works at Saks in So Cal ...I can be left ALONE! And I've also noticed most sales people don't know anything about the fragrances...can be rather annoying.
    Agreed
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I'm not sure where your located in Florida, but the Nordstrom's at Waterside Shops in Naples has quite a wide selection. SA's there were pretty good at not pushing Hanai Mori HiM and Spicebomb.
    Palm Beach. The closest Nordstrom that offers Diptyque is about 60 miles away, down near Miami. Tom Ford, other than the basics and Neroli Portifino is not offered at any Nordstrom store within 100 miles. Good thing that Saks and Neimans offers Creed, MFK, TF and several others. Space NK in Bloomingdales offers a limited rang of Diptyque. There are several stores nearby that offer other niche, but all the Nordstrom's I have been to within 3o-40 miles, is a glorified Macy's. Heck, Macy's has a better selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I'm 30 years old and not a fan of "old man"/dated scents, such as Eau Sauvage, Kouros, etc. But, Egoiste (latest reformulation with clear juice) smells very modern to me. So, make sure to try it out next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great choice!

Did you choose the EDP or EDT?

I liked the EDT more.

The EDP was too concentrated and I generally like concentrated.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Wow great choice!

Did you choose the EDP or EDT?

I liked the EDT more.

The EDP was too concentrated and I generally like concentrated.
    The EDT. I'm not sure if the EDP was too concentrated for me, but it had a different mix of notes to it, and I preferred the EDT.

Post Thanks / Like

the nordstroms sales associate in cherry hill nj tried to sell me spicebomb...i then told her the only reason this fragrance is selling is because the bottle is shaped like a grenade..there is one sales associate there. aparently they removed more than half of the stock off the display shelf and put them in a drawer(i know because i opened the drawer)...they are really pushing the spicebomb this year. there is one sales associate there that is actually very knowledgeable on fragrances and did provinge me with some sample dacants.....in return i have bought from him twice...i do hate walking through "the gauntlet" at macys though with those shark sales associates..they jump on your rear immediatly and offer you the most nauseating fragrances that they are trying to unload.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know Nordstrom was carrying Egoiste until I was there this past Saturday. I went to the Chanel counter with my wife and asked if they had Egoiste because they had some of the men's frags like Allure Ass & Blue de Okay. The SA looked at me dumbfounded and said they might have it in the men's frag area and low and behold they had it!

My question is, if you're representing Chanel. How do you not know what your inventory is?

Post Thanks / Like

The Chanel SA in the female section does not get anything from whatever is stocked in the male section, so, for her purposes, it may well not exist. I had a similar experience for Tom Ford at a Neiman Marcus.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Got a note from the manager of the Nordstrom store after filling out a comment form. Turns out he is a bit of a fraghead, and loves Tom Ford and Diptyque. Perhaps that is why the selection is so good!

CologneFan85

Too bad most of these places sales reps don't know the fragrances

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    I didn't even know Nordstrom was carrying Egoiste until I was there this past Saturday. I went to the Chanel counter with my wife and asked if they had Egoiste because they had some of the men's frags like Allure Ass & Blue de Okay. The SA looked at me dumbfounded and said they might have it in the men's frag area and low and behold they had it!

My question is, if you're representing Chanel. How do you not know what your inventory is?
    Yeah, I was surprised to see this at our Nordstrom, too!

I don't think the gal completely believed me when I said I already had it!

A good SA never tells the customer what he should like. The woman must have lost a sale.

Many SAs don't know the product anyway.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.