Code of Conduct

Default Creed -- the great sexual divide

After perusing the "if you could only wear one house" thread, I want to know --

Why, when so many men chose Creed as their favorite house, the women seem to be completely indifferent to it? What's up with that? Any theories?

(On their website, they show as many fragrances for women as for men)

Default Re: Creed -- the great sexual divide

Tried many Creeds marketed towards the ladies, NONE of them hits the spot with the exception of just one, old-fashioned rose-soap-amber fragrance made for Queen Victoria, that nobody else seems to even remotely like.

For the fear of being ridiculed, I will bite my tongue and NOT post what I think about much ado accompanying masculine Creeds.

Nice to see you, C.!

As I don't generally pay attention to women's scents this never occurred to me. Come to think of it now, my wife doesn't own
    one woman's Creed fragrance, yet I own 29 of the men's or unisex.

I never have found a Creed that I wanted a full bottle of....

I think this is a fascinating question.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Tried many Creeds marketed towards the ladies, NONE of them hits the spot with the exception of just one, old-fashioned rose-soap-amber fragrance made for Queen Victoria, that nobody else seems to even remotely like.

For the fear of being ridiculed, I will bite my tongue and NOT post what I think about much ado accompanying masculine Creeds.

Nice to see you, C.!
    My wife loves that one, and also Fleurs de Thé Rose Bulgare, which is much lighter and compatible with modern tastes.

Mostly, I would say it's because the line caters to men, in the same way that Annick Goutal generally caters to women. Creed has a good number of scents that are simply popular with big percentages of guys.

Although I think I know what you're thinking, and I think there's some truth to that, too.

Wolfie, you're talking about Fleurs de Bulgarie, right? That's one of my very favorite rose perfumes regardless of house and I wear it quite frequently, although I wouldn't have ever known it if not for you ...I thought for sure I had thanked you about that before! But this is the only Creed feminine that really moves me (with Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare a distant second) and I've tried many of them. Imo they are generally nice enough, but forgettable.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

England has always had an (undeserved) much better reputation in fashion for all things masculine, from suits to shoes to grooming. Penhaligon and Floris would likely also find more appeal among men.

(Incidentally, I am yet another person who is indifferent to Creeds)

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    England has always had an (undeserved) much better reputation in fashion for all things masculine, from suits to shoes to grooming. Penhaligon and Floris would likely also find more appeal among men.

(Incidentally, I am yet another person who is indifferent to Creeds)

cacio
    Interesting angle! Even after their relocation, some things don't change. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Hmmm, interesting, credible theory.....

Nice to see you, C.!
    Hi Twolf!

I've been curious why the divide -- because I'm uninterested in the house, but am not sure WHY I gave up on them so quickly and completely. (a too large assortment, and unattractive, to me, bottles, didn't help. Trivial reasons, really...). Anyway, thanks for suggestion, Evangeline and Twolf, sounds like I should retest the Fleurs? Maybe someday... :-)

My guess would be women love to shop and if you only put your fragrances in high end stores where most women won't buy anything at, then your setting yourself up for failure. It could also be that they don't hire enough women.

For me it's never a question of the Creed brand as much as it is frags in general, and then it happening to occur in the Creed line. Essentially, the unisex fragrances by Creed can and are used by women, but it seems they get a lot more play on men. I also think that more and more perfumers are realizing that sex should not constrict fragrances, so there is more of an emphasis on unisex stuff.

As for myself, I love a lot of the Creed products, but I'm not sure why. They don't always last long on me, they don't turn my head or others heads around me, nor are they particularly expensive when gotten on the grey market. But, there is just something about them that I am inclined to like. For example, I'm sure Black XS is a great fragrance, but I, over time, learned to love Himalaya.

Perhaps I'm rambling.

It is an interesting one. For me, the reason is that I don't like any of their "feminine" offerings. I actually don't like any of their "masculines" either, which only matters because I don't keep to one side of the line in my purchases.

When I first started exploring the house of Creed back in the early 00s. Well I went through quite a few of the female range and liked none of them. Too flowery too heady etc.

Finally I found I liked Vanisia and Jasmin Im Eugene and Angelic Encens. I own all three, but don't seem to wear often.

I actually preferred the men's fragrances far better.

Bois du Portugal
    Santal Imperial
    Original Santal(this was the last Creed I ever bought)
    Green Valley
    Royal Delight

I have tried the newer Creeds and none of them interest me at all.
    DONNA

No serious contribution to your question, but just for a matter of statistics: I've sampled (very) few of them and all of them were scrubber for me- Erolfa, Neroli Sauvage,a Santal that didn't smell of sandalwood at all... Adding that their line is huge- and this always puts me a little off, I've never been induced to try more...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I tend to agree that the house of Creed did not yet fully value, seize, "max out", further develop the potential of their female scents, while male scents did stand out however with more fragrant highlights.

Maybe Creed's (women's) fragrances are just not good enough, seeing as women have plenty of other, perhaps cheaper, options, maybe men see Creed more as a status symbol, maybe females don't appreciate the clunky looking bottles or that there are hockey/walking sticks in the Creed logo?

Sound Scents

Interesting question as to why Ladies as a general rule have not flocked to the house of Creed like so many Gents have... I don't know why that is, but I confess I am with the Ladies on this one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I find Creed, especially the feminines, to be rather bland and excessively tasteful; there's a "realtor beige" vibe about them for me. I want something weird, something a little bit improper, or something excessively gorgeous. Tasteful? Meh.

I also perceive them as smelling particularly synthetic, in the sense that I don't get any soft varied/blended natural-like nuances from them, but instead a rather simple braid of clearly distinguishable notes. I don't really believe the claims about natural ingredients, but I doubt that they're _more_ synthetic than the average mostly-synthetic fragrance. So I suspect that this is a matter of the perfumer(s) style.

E. and Red -- right!

C., I will send you some, next week OK?

Blog Entries

I've tried most of them and the only one I like to wear (and I do love it) is Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare.
    Sublime Vanille is a distant second, but I only have a sample of it. I do not expect to buy it; I don't want 250 mls of it. The size of the bottles is inhibiting.

I don't understand why they make fragrances that are only available in large bottles.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th December 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Just go look at the review section for GiT and Aventus. Look at the price. Look at Creed's marketing. This is the perfume equivalent of space-shuttle titanium golf clubs, a Dovo straight razor, a Belgian hone, Kobe beef, a wall-mounted plasma TV with big speakers and a fancy-ass amp, etc. Oh I'm sure there are many people, especially on BN, who don't think that way. I know this impulse though. I know it because it happens to me. It's a very masculine impulse. Now if GiT, Aventus, etc smell nice (and generally speaking their appeal is quite broad) all the better.

In my experience it's rare to find women who think this way. Men are happier for their 'stuff,' to be more noticed than they are. A guy walks into a room with an immaculate, unspeakably expensive suit and a gorgeous woman hanging off his arm. That's not a story about a guy it's a story about a guys stuff, and it would suit many men and few women. Hands up ladies if you want to be ignored while people stare at your SO, or if you want people to say, 'wow, -insert name of fragrance- that smells so incredible!' instead of, 'wow, you smell so incredible.'

Look at the cars wealthy women own, and the cars wealthy men own. In my experience the only time a woman wants people to be staring at her car with longing gazes is when there's an arrangement like this:

and the car is being seen as a very large accessory, 'whose that gorgeous woman in the awesome car?' and not 'Wow, check out that car.'

Look at men's watches and women's watches. Some outrageously expensive masculine watches look quite laughable in their sheer over-the-top size and impractical complexity. The ideal dress watch for the average woman with an unlimited budget is generally going to be a little more subtle.

Jewellery is a classic example. A lot of jewellery for women is traditionally designed to catch the eye and direct it to certain... regions, hence the often strategic placement and exaltation of incredibly brilliant pieces which reflect light and draw attention. The idea of men wearing jewellery (aside from a wedding ring) is often considered a little gauche still in many places and with good reason because aside from a small number of guys it's rarely a tasteful habit. Look at what I can afford!

I know a lot of people might find this a bit insulting, but again I should stress I'm not saying it's the only reason people buy Creed scents. Moreover I imagine on basenotes in particular it's rarely the case.

Riddle me this though. Why is the number one complaint (setting aside those who simply have qualms with the fragrance) about Creed scents longevity, and projection? Could it be because there’s no point wearing a big, tacky gold chain if people can’t see it?

I think Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie and White Flowers are both very good but the rest don't really hit the quality or construction of the Mens line (particularly the Private Collection and older EDT's)

I still haven't tried Rosalie which was a very limited Selfridges exclusive though.

IME....They love some of the Creed scents...but at the price point....start thinking Louis Vuitton, Coach....etc...I've given woman the choice, they always take the bag, they wouldn't turn down the scents, however, and wear them proudly.

Which is funny considering Olivier's quote "Ladies, a man will never remember your handbag, but he will remember your perfume".

Again, ime, is true. I NEVER notice the accessories....it's the scent that stops me.

Quote Originally Posted by nomdeplume View Post
    Which is funny considering Olivier's quote "Ladies, a man will never remember your handbag, but he will remember your perfume".

Again, ime, is true. I NEVER notice the accessories....it's the scent that stops me.
    Ah, but women don't dress for men. When they aren't dressing for themselves, they're dressing for women. Oh, sure, they may want to be attractive to men, but the specific details intended to impress? They're for their peers, other women.

I know, I state this over-confidently, and I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by nomdeplume View Post
    IME....They love some of the Creed scents...but at the price point....start thinking Louis Vuitton, Coach....etc...I've given woman the choice, they always take the bag, they wouldn't turn down the scents, however, and wear them proudly.
    I think this is true. Men just have fewer things to splurge on that are around Creed's price point. For that price point, females have many other options.

I think on the whole the Creed masculines are a lot better than their feminines. I can only think of three of their feminines that I enjoy: Fantasia de Fleurs, Fleur de The Rose Bulgare, and Fleurs de Bulgarie. The ones that the SAs really push hard--I'm thinking of Love in White, Spring Flower, 2000 Fleurs, etc.--are all scrubbers for me.

I have to say though, that I do like Fantasia de Fleurs very much.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I do like the Fleurs de The Rose Bulgaire (spelling?) - had a decant from TPC which I finished last week, and thinking about buying another. But for me, the exorbitant prices Creed charges are simply not worth it, when I could buy FBs of two or three excellent scents I'd love just as much if not more for the same amount. Maybe many perfumista men have more disposable income than us women? Could that be a factor? I have to allow for family expenses (kids at college, engagement, weddings, etc.), but if I were single I would be able to spend more on myself. Certainly, many gay men, whether single or part of a couple, have more disposable income for this reason, I would think.

I think it could be that here on BN the Creeds are practically hailed as gifts from the gods...I think it's hard for some guys to see beyond the overpowering spotlight that is shining on the Creeds in the men's forum. I, personally, was sucked into the Creed hype when I first joined BN a year ago and had a chance to go to Vegas and sniff out the Creeds only to be let down in a major way. But, thankfully, there are so many other frags to sniff out in Vegas and I was able to get my hands on ones that I really loved and still love.

I think, for men at least, that it is really popular to like Creed here on BN and thus people get swayed by what is popular. There are other houses that are popular also, and, I have discovered that some of those houses live up to their hype, but for me Creed is definitely not one of them...but, then again, I own 3 full bottles of Bond no 9 which is just about the most unpopular house on this site, but I really don't care. A scent is a scent, and if you like it, then get it, no matter what label is on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As I don't generally pay attention to women's scents this never occurred to me. Come to think of it now, my wife doesn't own
    one woman's Creed fragrance, yet I own 29 of the men's or unisex.
    Same with me. I love the house of Creed, my wife has found none, though she likes several Bonds.

CologneFan85

My G/f Doesn't like Creeds line for woman also...But she loves Most of the Bond No. 9's. And she LOVES the ysl line.

Is it possible it's the house note of Creed: ambergris?
    I have sampled a few of the women's Creeds (Love in black / white, Jasmal, 2000 Fleurs).
    They have the light flower side but there is also a heaviness to the scent.
    Perhaps ambergris blends better with the unisex or male scents?

Thinking out loud.

I was never fully impressed with Creed and only have one fragrance: Royal Delight. I also like Tabarome, but have to be in the mood.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.