Code of Conduct

Default New Guerlain Vetiver

I've been wearing Guerlain Vetiver for years and was very pleased to see the bottle design change from the ribbed version (bit tacky) to the new traditional style.

However, i am horrifed to find that my new bottle is really noticeably weak. I have always thought that people who complain about "reformulations" or about perfume houses watering things down, are cranks. that they are imagining things. well, i am in no doubt whatsoever that the new bottle is has very little longevity compared to the previous one, which lasted for hours. sillage is minimal. all in all, i'm wondering what the hell has happened.

any thoughts from other die hard vetivery fans?

my givenchy is not quite up there, my chanel is nice, but almost too luxurious and rich for everyday. guerlain just hit it right with the tobacco, citrusy take.. i feel a gap there now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Guerlain Vetiver

Not familiar with the new bottle, I still got the previous ribbed style one. But as far as the scent is concerned, I do love the notes, were they just a bit stronger - unsure after which actual reformulation I bought this one, yet this scent has everything, maybe except longevity, which could be improved.

Didn't realize there was a bottle change either.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the ribbed bottle better and the scent from that version is better as well. New one has been "tamed", not nearly as sharp, to its detriment.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Just when you thought it can't get worse...

Post Thanks / Like

I've had all three versions in my lifetime. This new version/old bottle is the softest version yet. It isn't horrible but it is way too dainty for me.

IMO the juice in the ribbed bottle was a happy medium between old and new.

I suggest you try the new Eau Sauvage Parfum if you love vetiver like I do. I think you will appreciate the richness of the vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the one you like with the ribbed bottle was already a reformulation.

Apparently the new bottle has been reformulated again to actually approximate the "vintage" more closely (which to my nose, it does). Yes, that's right, apparently the new reformulation is actually closer to vintage than the ribbed bottle.

At any rate, I get great longevity with the new bottle formulation and far prefer it to the ribbed version.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the new formulation and cannot even fathom its popularity. I keep praying that the vintage is far better than this current formulation.

I find it amazing that things have come to such a pass that there can be complaints about Guerlain Vetiver's longevity. I have always worn the late 1980s vintage (at one time in my life it was my absolute favourite) - and it is rich and luxuriant and just doesn't give up. A couple of sprays and you're set for 24 hours plus. I had tried the ribbed bottle version in the shops out of curiosity and couldn't believe what they'd done to the fragrance. And now this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Actually the one you like with the ribbed bottle was already a reformulation.

Apparently the new bottle has been reformulated again to actually approximate the "vintage" more closely (which to my nose, it does). Yes, that's right, apparently the new reformulation is actually closer to vintage than the ribbed bottle.

At any rate, I get great longevity with the new bottle formulation and far prefer it to the ribbed version.
    +1 (though I like both version equally much!)

To me the longevity of the latest formulation is equal to the juice of the ribbed bottle which I own as well.
    The ribbed bottle only has more tobacco and a way heavier citrus opening but after the 30 mins opening they are pretty alike, also in sillage imo. Strange that in this thread the new version get bashed and in another it gets praised way more..........
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Solo (Absoluto)
    - Chanel: Antaeus
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting...I find a lot of differences of opinion here and, well, everywhere!

I have put off getting the latest 2010 formulation of Guerlain Vetiver (back in a Habit Rouge bottle) for too long. Is there any scent that is discussed more for its nuances that Guerlain's Vetiver?

Kouros is the most polarizing scent ever made - but Guerlain Vetiver ("The Benchmark of all Vetivers"), for whatever reason is argued back-and-forth about each and every formulation.

An iconic bottling - in any vintage or formulation - and, as I stated day or two ago...A Masterpiece by any connotation. I have every bottling from Vintage Eau de Cologne up to the ribbed bottle (2000 formulation), which I love. It is a wonderful fragrance and can be adorned year-round.

I keep finding thread after thread pushing me to buy the current formulation...this may be the one that finally did it!

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

I used to like wearing it, but there's so many good to great vetiver's on the market that this isn't even worth a sniff anymore.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I used to like wearing it, but there's so many good to great vetiver's on the market that this isn't even worth a sniff anymore.
    This is not true. There are only few vetiver fragrances that are better than Guerlain Vetiver. GV is a masterpiece

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    This is not true. There are only few vetiver fragrances that are better than Guerlain Vetiver. GV is a masterpiece
    Justgot my L'Occitane Vetyver in the mail last week and must say this surprised me positively.
    a very nice subtle woodsy Vetyver - but with good staying power.

I rank my favorite Vetyver frags like this:

1. Lalique Encre Noir - dark take on a vetiver frag
    2. L'Occitane Vetyver - Woodsy take on a vetiver
    3. Givenchy Vetyver - the classic Vetyver
    4. Guerlain Vetiver - Ribbed 125 ml EDT edition, citrus & tobacco take on a vetiver
    5. Creed Original Vetiver - soapy clean take on a vetiver
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

The new Guerlain has found a place in my small collection of vetivers. I prefer it to the ribbed bottle which I did try a number of times, but as a non-smoker the tobacco note always struck me as a 'smoked and sitting in a filthy ashtray' type of tobacco, not a nice fresh tobacco leaf which I do tend to like.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I prefer the new juice.......if we talk about the scent i prefer the new to be more citric and less tobacco...on my skin longevity & projection are higher than the previous version.

This topic has been discussed in another thread time ago...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...w-quot-Vetiver

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.David View Post
    Hi! I prefer the new juice.......if we talk about the scent i prefer the new to be more citric and less tobacco...on my skin longevity & projection are higher than the previous version.

This topic has been discussed in another thread time ago...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...w-quot-Vetiver

Regards
    +1

The thing is that GV2000 is way heavier on the 30mins opening! When you sniff them both the GV2010 is hardly to be smelled first 20/30 mins when you first siff deep in the GV2000 as it's way heavier on opening! After that 30 mins they are pretty equal, with the GV2010 way more refined and very good smelling! The longevity is about equal! My conclusion is based on 4 side by side comparisons as I own both versions!

I dare to say that GV2010 just seems to be lighter, is illusional (when always having used the ribbed bottle). It is first 30 mins but after that it's maybe even stronger as it's pretty potent with a fresh/dark/sharp (as there is less tobacco, the freshness comes out in a different more prominent way and the dark earthyness is less compared to GV2000) combined vetiver smell (little like in the "Extreme" version, where the vetiver itself comes out more, so to speak) which goes on for hours!
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Solo (Absoluto)
    - Chanel: Antaeus
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    I'd tend to agree - though this is somewhat of a subjective and personal opinion. For me (and on my skin):

Creed Original - ends up too linear.
    Lalique Encre Noir - ends up smelling sweet and summery almost like CdGs Vetiverru
    Lubin Vetiver - ends up smelling just like GV but with a slightly chakly edge.

A lot of the other Vetivers have that brylcreamy smell in the dry down that I don't like.

Just one question though - has anyone noticed that the bottle itself appears to be rather flimsy? Especially the metal top, which is very thin and flexes. Bought it from ebay - it smelled different, but in the way noted here, and whilst the supplier had plenty of positives they also had a small amount of negatives, which had me wondering.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The juice of the ribbed bottle is awful either. Try Terre D'Hermes, Sycomore, L'Occitane Vetyver and Polo Green.

Post Thanks / Like

They tried to kill it in 2000 when it was turned into a soapy little citrusy aldehylic thing. It was still decent, but like so many others in many ways it was a victim of IFRA cultural genocide. Haven't smelled the newest stuff.

The pre-2000 stuff is still one of the best vetivers you can get, for any amount of money.
    Last edited by pluran; 24th August 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    +1

The thing is that GV2000 is way heavier on the 30mins opening! When you sniff them both the GV2010 is hardly to be smelled first 20/30 mins when you first siff deep in the GV2000 as it's way heavier on opening! After that 30 mins they are pretty equal, with the GV2010 way more refined and very good smelling! The longevity is about equal! My conclusion is based on 4 side by side comparisons as I own both versions!

I dare to say that GV2010 just seems to be lighter, is illusional (when always having used the ribbed bottle). It is first 30 mins but after that it's maybe even stronger as it's pretty potent with a fresh/dark/sharp (as there is less tobacco, the freshness comes out in a different more prominent way and the dark earthyness is less compared to GV2000) combined vetiver smell (little like in the "Extreme" version, where the vetiver itself comes out more, so to speak) which goes on for hours!
    I agree with respect to the opening of the latest reformulation: it isn't very impressive but after that the vetiver really comes on strong and it lasts a long time on me. I think many people are too impatient to get to the later stages of its development. That is the key for and what makes me enjoy it so much, the development is so interesting going from something I don't really like to something I like immensely.

Variations observed with Guerlains Vetiver and discussions about them continue. What a mysterious topic!
    I was disappointed by a 2011 50ml bottle of Vetiver Eau de Toilette (batch code "1P01", Habit Rouge like bottle already) as far as staying power is concerned.
    However, the new bottle I bought this year (100ml, batch code "2P01") is definately longer lasting. The scent seems to have undergone another tiny reformulation: It is a bit rounder, a bit richer and a bit less citric than thee 2011 juice. Whether it is due to variance of raw materials, recipe or ageing - I cannot say. But even the cap of the bottle has changed: The black plastic element at the bottom of my 2011 bottle cap is shiny, whereas in 2012 it is mat.
    My personal conclusion is that Guerlain keeps experimenting with the line - at a very high level.
    A reason to wonder for me, but not a reason to worry.