Code of Conduct

Default What would you buy...

...if you were a high school senior and assuming money wasn't an issue?

I'm planning on blind buying a couple bottles of cologne (blind buy mind you) and am looking for generally agreeable scents that "fit my age" to wear daily, preferably for each season.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: What would you buy...

Boss Bottled (+)
    L'Homme and La Nuit De L'Homme (+)
    A&F Fierce (+)
    Le Male (-)
    Armani Code (+)
    AdG/Perry Ellis 360 Red (+)
    Givenchy Play Intense (-)
    Michael Jordan - Legend (+)
    CK One Shock (-)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (-)
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck (+)
    Dior Homme Sport (-)

(+) = Definitely a good blind buy for someone your age, and you'll probably really like them

(-) = This does not mean I do not like the scent. If it was good enough for me to post here, then I REALLY like it. (-) just means that it's either A. Not a scent that everyone will like/love or hate (Le Male for example) B. You may feel it is a tad mature/sophisticated for your age (DHS) C. Not insanely great/doesn't get much use from me, yet still really nice (Givenchy Play Intense)

Green Irish Tweed
    Tobacco Vanille

Everyone will love these and nobody else in high school will have them.

Original Santal
    Le Male
    Millesime Imperial

+1 Armani Code
    +1 Boss Bottled

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If i were a high school student, i would purchase:
    A&b fierce
    dior homme sport
    le male
    boss bottle no. 6
    paco rabanne one million
    joop homme

Sound Scents

If money were not an issue truly, then I would just buy the two top scents on my list of favorites. As for them fitting someone's age, I don't believe in that kind of thing so if it were me it would not make a difference what people thought as long as I liked them (and I guess I find all the scents I like "generally agreeable", just to different degrees). Just buy what you personally like, enjoy and don't blind buy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Burberry London

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ...if you were a high school senior and assuming money wasn't an issue?
    Since money's not an issue, probably a swanky bachelor pad with all the cool gadgets and a pimped up car.

Basenotes Plus

What I wore back then: Pre-reformulation (ie Made in Italy) Dolce & Gabanna PH, Herrera for Men, Hugo by Hugo Boss.

If I knew then what I know now: Terre d'Hermes, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Vetyver, Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Oud , Ayala Moriel's Orcas, Creed Virgin Island Water, By Kilian's Incense Oud and Amber Oud, Santos de Cartier, Fahrenheit, Play Intense.

So far I'm thinking (taking account my own research as well):
    Terre d'Hermes
    Green Irish Tweed
    Burberry Brit/London

How do I pick which one I'd wear in each season though? I'd imagine summer colognes generally fresh and clean but what about the other seasons?

Not really looking into things like AF Fierce or Armani Code because a lot of people wear it in my school and from what I understand, one purpose of cologne is to give you a signature smell. Therefore, buying a common cologne would be counterproductive in that aspect.

Basenotes Plus

Am I the only one that doesn't get a high school vibe from Armani Code? I saw Joop! Homme and One Million suggested and I definitely agree (but I'm not ashamed as a 23 year old to wear it) that it is appropriate for high school. But with Armani Code I get a much more mature vibe than the Basenotes community must think.

I saw you like Burberry London for Men. Great choice for this time of year. Might not be as good during the spring and summer though.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing Armani Code, Joop Homme or One Million. Yes, Joop and One Million have a younger, hip, vibe to them but nothing that a man cannot handle. Burberry London is fantastic this time of year. That scent was made for the holidays as far as I'm concerned.
    Wear what you like and what suits your skin type. Fragrance satisfaction is so subjective. You cannot go by some other persons experience.

Just a question about Burberry London: how does it fare indoors, where I'll be spending most of my time? I figure that most of the time when people talk about winter scents, they are talking about its usage outdoors (like how it reacts to the colder crisper air? dunno)

Additionally, I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with wearing Armani Code, I'm just saying it's common around here so I don't want to be "another smell in the crowd" so to speak

And regarding Picture of a Lady, I'm interested in it but just how feminine is it? I understand that it's considered unisex, but I definitely don't want to smell like a girl.
    Last edited by Saber; 7th December 2012 at 09:41 PM.

So far I'm thinking (taking account my own research as well):
    Terre d'Hermes
    Green Irish Tweed
    Burberry Brit/London

How do I pick which one I'd wear in each season though? I'd imagine summer colognes generally fresh and clean but what about the other seasons?

Not really looking into things like AF Fierce or Armani Code because a lot of people wear it in my school and from what I understand, one purpose of cologne is to give you a signature smell. Therefore, buying a common cologne would be counterproductive in that aspect.
    A first fragrance is a difficult choice, especially if buying totally blind.

I would say that all off those that you have on your short list are reliable, well made and safe choices. The Creed I would suggest more for summer, maybe Burberry Brit for winter with the Hermes to cover evenings and the seasons in between.

If money really is no object, I'd think about getting a fourth scent that is a little less conventional, that stands out a little from the field and is really more 'of the moment'. Something perhaps with an oud element. I may get jeered at for this amongst cologne-iacs, but whilst within the community of people who post to sites like basenotes this is over-exposed and 'just so over' out in the real world it is still quite original and distinctive.

Possibilities might be:

Black Afgano by Nassamotto
    Noire de Noire by Tom Ford

These are pretty out there suggestions in this context, but if you want to be the kid that people remember as being the one who smelt different and special then you probably need to look beyond the conventional, but worthy choices above.

Best of luck.

Another vote for Burberry London

Sound Scents

And regarding Picture of a Lady, I'm interested in it but just how feminine is it? I understand that it's considered unisex, but I definitely don't want to smell like a girl.
    Portrait of a Lady is completely unisex and despite the name could have just as readily been released as a masculine marketed fragrance. It is a very fine combination of Rose, black pepper, incense and patchouli. It is quite pricey, but IMO worth every penny. The key is to use it sparingly as it is quite potent and projects like crazy. One spray is usually all that is needed and will most likely last all day... And night in my case, at least.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hmm... I feel like if I picked up a Tom Ford scent and PoaL I'll never want to use anything else.

Cologne is a slippery slope.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I've made my choice: I'm gonna get samples of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, Portrait of a Lady and Tom Ford Noir de Noir so I can at least purchase a winter cologne.

When other seasons come along, then I will worry about them. For now I'll try those.

Thoughts?

I'm a bit nervous about buying on eBay for these samples but I suppose it cannot be helped.