Code of Conduct

Default Help my wardrobe with your favorites!

Please list me 2 fragrances that would improve my wardrobe. I've filled out my Tried and Owned list.

The only rule is to choose fragrances that you personally haven't gotten bored of and aren't on my prior "Owned" or "Tried" list.

I'm going to do some sampling at The Perfumed Court to explore. The only ones I've considered buying full bottles in my tried list are L'air du desert Marocain and Gris Clair. I want to try quite a few more before I pull the trigger on those.

Thank you!

ClassicFan

Default Re: Help my wardrobe with your favorites!

Derby (Guerlain)
    Antaeus (Chanel)

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Dior Fahrenheit

Dior Homme
    Aventus
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

"chene"-Tl
    -Aoud & pine
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Give Comme de Garcon a try. Avignon and Wonderwood.

Fahrenheit
    Kouros

Knize ten and lddm

Cartier Declaration
    Rive Gauche
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Chanel 28 La Pausa

Etat libre d'orange Rien or Tom of Finland: good leathers (the first superbutch, the second smooth and lemony). I see you had K10 and liked it, Rien is even butcher and more animalic, while ToF is smoother, but still dry.

A floral: Diptyque Ombre dans l'eau edp (green vegetal and rose). Or, if it were available, Lutens Sarrasins (jasmine leather), though it is a Paris exclusive.

cacio

If you like oriental fragrances buy Jaïpur Homme. Even if you don't like orientals, sample it. I can't imagine a sound collection without Jaïpur Homme.

Xerjoff Blue Hope
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille
    Creed Selection Verte

I sampled two at the discount store at the mall: Dior Homme and Fahrenheit. The tester for Fahrenheit was probably too old because it was like a light scent that was an extremely faded version of Tommy Bahama (pencil shavings and booze). Dior Homme was like iris and leather making a black licorice quality. Eventually it relaxes into a light soapy clean vetiver. There's some lavender hidden in there somewhere. I really like this one but in a dry winter it fades quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Kouros
    I did try Kouros in the past but all I remember was orange BO.

Quote Originally Posted by raw810 View Post
    Knize ten and lddm
    I did love Knize Ten in the original formula but I bought a bottle of the later formula and it lost that dry desiccated leather and emphasized too much amber. L'Air du desert Marocain is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    If you like oriental fragrances buy Jaïpur Homme. Even if you don't like orientals, sample it. I can't imagine a sound collection without Jaïpur Homme.
    I've tried lots of vanilla before and the only one that I don't get tired of is Habit Rouge EdP. I'm guess I'm not a gourmand. I'm also not keen on tobacco.

There are lots of good choices you guys have brought me. The ones I'm going to sample for now (and are available at PC) are Derby, Antaeus, Aventus, Declaration, Ombre dans l'eau, 28 La Pausa, and Chene. They all look intriguing and I already like Dior Pour Homme.

Good choice with the LDDM.

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Tom Ford Sahara Noir

And LDDM (as you know) is fantastic. Don't wait, just get it.

Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee - Fresh grass, juicy lime, white rum, woody refined vetiver.
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight in Paris EDP - Leather, Incense, Almonds, Black Tea
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 01/03
    WANTED: None

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Sycomore
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Aventus for sure.. the only frag i own that every time i smell it it makes me go Mmmm lol.
    And if you haven't tried millesime imperial yet you've gotta sniff it atleast once.. a beautiful fruity melon accord with a salty sea air note. And virgin island water.. a tropical lime & coconut frag that makes you feel like you're at the beach. People can say what they like about creed but one thing's for sure.. they make some amazing fragrances. Oh and get your nose on the dior prive line.. bois d'argent, ambre nuit, oud ispahan. Amazing line!

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    I'm not a vanilla fan but I'll give this one a try. So many people seem to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee - Fresh grass, juicy lime, white rum, woody refined vetiver.
    Those notes sound awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Chanel Sycomore
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    I've tried Sycomore and it's a refined smooth version of Encre Noire. I went into a vetiver addiction 3 years ago and I'm trying to stay away from anything like that.
    Tuscan Leather is something I've been meaning to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    And if you haven't tried millesime imperial yet you've gotta sniff it atleast once.. a beautiful fruity melon accord with a salty sea air note. And virgin island water.. a tropical lime & coconut frag that makes you feel like you're at the beach. People can say what they like about creed but one thing's for sure.. they make some amazing fragrances. Oh and get your nose on the dior prive line.. bois d'argent, ambre nuit, oud ispahan. Amazing line!
    I did a Creed sample exploration a few years ago on badgerandblade. Millesime Imperial was nice and I bought it but traded it up for EROLFA. There was something candied about Imperial that I didn't go for. The eau de cologne is such a difficult area because the opening notes are often amazing but they don't last and the drydown can disappoint you if you were only excited by the top notes. I'm from Canada so Virgin Island Water is pointless. It has zero longevity, but it does smell great. It's supposed to be good in hot weather so I would recommend people who live in Florida to enjoy that one.

The Dior privee line has some potential. Oud ispahan sound interesting and so does bois d'argent.

Great ideas guys!

Basenotes Plus

L'Artisan's Tea for Two, Amouage Epic man,

LDDM is great. I also agree with the Antaeus, Fahrenheit, and Bel Ami suggestions.
    My favorites in no particular order:

Vintage Antaeus,Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, MDCI Invasion Barbare, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Morabito Or Black, House of Matriarch Blackbird, Puredistance M, Turtle Vetiver Back, CDG 2 Man, Vintage Bel Ami, YSL M7, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Bois d'Encens, Vintage Fahrenheit, Knize 10, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Gucci Pour Homme I

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza
    L'homme de Coeur by Divine

Both are perfectly blended, sophisticated floral masculines.

Okay I've sampled a few. I tried Cartier Declaration and it's like a clean floral version of Terre D'Hermes so I'll stick with TdH. I was forced to try Nicole Miller for Men and it was like an imitation of Burberry Brit for Men. I was also forced to try Declaration Bois Bleu which is a weaker version of Coriolan with less leaves and citrus which makes it worse. I finally found Infusion Vetiver by Prada and bought 200ml for $90 since I love it. I like the light vetiver but the ginger/tarragon/pepper make this a great scent. What's great is that it's something I can wear in any season and lasts on my skin in a dry winter. I can probably use it in an office as well.

After an insane amount of research I'm sampling:

Aventus
    Bel Ami
    Derby
    Homme L'eau Boisee
    Jicky
    Homme Intense EDP

Blackbird - House of Matriarch.
    Chypre Palatin - Parfums MDCI

Alternate to either above - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale
    My Top 5, In no particular order
    1). Creed Aventus - S042C13ZZ01
    2). Creed Aventus - C42C14F01
    3). Creed Aventus - FP42C14A02
    4). Creed Aventus - A42B11Y02
    5). Creed Aventus - A42C13Z01

Penhaligon's - Castile and Endymion

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicFan View Post
    After an insane amount of research I'm sampling:

Aventus
    Bel Ami
    Derby
    Homme L'eau Boisee
    Jicky
    Homme Intense EDP
    Good luck narrowing it down, it can be a hard thing to do.

Aventus and Bel Ami for me from that list. LDDM too if you are still interested.

Ambre Nuit
    La Nuit de L'Homme
    Life with no senses equals no experience. Never take your senses for granted because the senses are the gateway to an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ausphil View Post
    Good luck narrowing it down, it can be a hard thing to do.

Aventus and Bel Ami for me from that list. LDDM too if you are still interested.
    I've already tried LDDM in the past and like it but I have no idea about these samples I've ordered. It'll be fun to stack up these leathers to my go to Habit Rouge.

Perhaps also Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur and YSL pour Homme.

Aventus
    Tuscan Leather
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Feuille Verte
    Spice & Wood
    Pure White Cologne
    Maybe Vetiver Geranium

Something happened. I'm not liking Dior Homme anymore. It's smells like urine/metallic makeup on the dry-down. It seemed to be okay before. WTF?

I did a little sample hunting at the mall. I found some Chanel and got some sprays on each wrist. I didn't like Egoiste but it smelled good. Pour Monsieur and Antaeus both impressed. The only thing is they lack longevity. Despite that I might still buy them. I'm glad I got out of there before walking out with them. I still have Derby to sample.

I found some fresh samples of Fahrenheit, TF Noir EdP, and Spice Bomb at Sephora.

Fahrenheit:

Grassy, gasoline, pencil shavings.

TF Noir:

It starts off chemical then it goes into Habit Rouge territory with the vanilla but more synthetic and more sweet. Since I have Habit Rouge EdP which is better it's a no go for me.

V & R Spice Bomb:

Runs out of the gates with a sweet Elemi (spicy/incense) with tobacco. Very sweet. The vetiver comes in and freshens the group. This is a good cozy winter fragrance but too sweet for me. If I were to choose something like this I would pick Acier Aluminum.

So Chanel 2 and everything else 0.
    Last edited by ClassicFan; 8th December 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Doing some more sampling:

Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum:

I dislike most incense but this one is good. It's Eau Savage smoothness keeping the incense from being too much. It lasts longer than the regular Eau Sauvage and has an elegant dry-down that isn't too sweet. It's a good flanker for those who use Eau Sauvage as a signiture scent. I'm still not adding it to the rotation because there's so much competition.

I just got Chanel PM EDT and I'm so happy. That will permanently be in the rotation.

Tom Ford for Men:

There's some citrus at the beginning but there's some caloney wood afterwards that reminds me of so many modern scents. It's a no. It's cheaper and better to buy Polo Blue if you like this style.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver:

Out of the gates it's like a "carrot vetiver". It's definitely a good office scent and probably the best Tom Ford. It turns into a more fabric dry dusty smell. This is a unique version of vetiver (finally something unique from TF). Because I like Prada Vetiver more I'll stick with it but TF GV is excellent. It smells like a boardroom scent but is cozy enough for weekends. It's just a little too Grey and Somber. Think of a boardroom where the company is going bust in Seattle with grey skies and you get the idea. The guy is wearing a grey suit and looking blankly out of the office tower at grey rainy skies as the stock plunges. The fact that I can imagine this means there's some quality here.

Aqua Fahrenheit:

The top is showing citrus, herbs and mint. It's not as calony as other aquatics which is a relief. It's all coming together like a wet cucumber smell. The leather adds some character to it. It's a good fresh scent but nothing exciting.

PS: I also tried 1 Million at Sephora and it was like GIT x 1000 sweetness or Royal Delight. Not subtle!
    Last edited by ClassicFan; 9th December 2014 at 02:08 AM.

Ordered another set of samples to quench my curiosity:

Caron Anarchist
    Caron 3rd man
    YSL Rive Gauche Homme
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    YSL M7

Some more sampling. I bought Antaeus because I'm so satisfied with it. I even tried Cristalle EDP which very was nice but just another variation of Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Declaration un soir intense is like turpentine. Really unpleasant and headache inducing.

Bleu de Chanel is a sweet sandalwood trying to be like GIT. It's nice but I already have the real thing.

Polo Green: Pine, wood, herbs, and oakmoss. Then there's some tar or heated asphalt. It's lighter than it used to be (or people sprayed too much), but I like it like Yatagan. Yatagan could be a flanker to Polo Green vice versa whichever is your favorite.

Hanae Mori HM: Very sweet out of the gate. I think I'm getting the message from women. They love SUGAR! It's berries with vanilla cocoa. This makes it smell sexy but I would rather a woman wear this.

Bruckner Aoud 1

5 O'clock Gingembre by SL

Dior Homme Intense
    and even though they're technically classified as women's scents I still love both: Tom Ford Sahara Noir (the first few minutes can be repulsive but it then settles quickly into the smell of Calypso's undercarriage, which I do consider a good thing lol) and Black Orchid
    Sampling Eau Sauvage Parfum proved it to be a wonder and on my future buy list once I graduate

Quote Originally Posted by AstonSenna View Post
    Sampling Eau Sauvage Parfum proved it to be a wonder and on my future buy list once I graduate
    That was a surprise for me, because I normally don't go for incense of any kind.

Gucci Pour Homme II
    Fahrenheit
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicFan View Post
    Doing some more sampling:

Tom Ford for Men:

There's some citrus at the beginning but there's some caloney wood afterwards that reminds me of so many modern scents. It's a no. It's cheaper and better to buy Polo Blue if you like this style.
    Not sure where you're getting that Tom Ford for Men and Polo Blue are similar!!! This is more like the proverbial "comparing apples and oranges" (or in this instance, maybe "cucumbers and oranges"). The "wood" in Polo Blue is non-existent compared to TFFM....not to mention, Polo Blue has zero "tobacco". Odd comparison, to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Not sure where you're getting that Tom Ford for Men and Polo Blue are similar!!! This is more like the proverbial "comparing apples and oranges" (or in this instance, maybe "cucumbers and oranges"). The "wood" in Polo Blue is non-existent compared to TFFM....not to mention, Polo Blue has zero "tobacco". Odd comparison, to say the least...
    I know, but that's what happened on my skin. It's hard to explain. Antaeus to me smells like leather but it's really sandalwood.

Tom Ford Noir de Noir and Italian Cypress

The TPC samples have arrived. I immediately went for Aventus to see what it's all about:

Creed Aventus:

At first it seemed like just a lame "sport deodorant". As it starts picking up steam the ingredients seem to be of better quality. The apple is obvious and pineapple more subdued. It still has some generic sport qualities but the florals push the scent into better territory. As the oakmoss comes in the scent improves alot and the sillage. It's definitely a no for me but I can totally see why women like it because it gives you that manly sport locker room deodorant vibe but with better ingredients and freshness from the French apples and oakmoss. Ultimately something like Ginestre SMN has a stronger Oakmoss character if someone is looking for that. After awhile some musk appears and it all blends much better. Later on the wood becomes more prominent and adds character to the proceedings. It's similar wood you get in sports fragrances but much better quality. The wood blends with the oakmoss giving it a slight tobacco like smell. So this is the "burnt" part of the scent that people are talking about. Though I wouldn't call it burnt because there is no campfire here. It's wood but it also veers too close to '90s colognes I remember from school. It's good at what it does but I'm happy for others to smell like this.

YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme:

The lavender and star anise are excellent and the sillage with just a couple of swipes of the applicator is flooding the room. It gives it a nice herbal floral scent that has a "overcast day at the riverside" impression about it. I can see why people are trying to buy this up. I'm liking this more than Patou Pour Homme Prive, but maybe it's because Prive is too old to compare to fresh juice. The vetiver and wood give it depth. It stays in this character almost all the time. Just loving this and how unique it smells.

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur:

Starts off with a citrus blast in the Guerlain style but mixed with a prominent lavender. After some time vanilla and cinnamon make their entrance and rose in the background. The rose gives it an old fashioned quality similar to Habit Rouge but without the leather. The neroli is present but thankfully not headache inducing. This is a lovely scent and changes in interesting ways. There's an underlying powder soap smell spiced up by the cinnamon and florals. This is better than I thought it would be, because it's well blended and smooth. Now later on the neroli appears stronger but in a candy sort of way. It's almost like the citrus is returning. Now the lavender Caron PuH style appears. This is a roller-coaster fragrance and the dry-down blends it all together.

Guerlain Jicky EDT:

This starts off with lavender and vanilla like Caron Pour un Homme. There may be some civet in there but I'm noticing a tiny bit of incense. This would be a good replacement for Caron PuH for those that find it too cloying. The leather seems to be in the background not doing too much. It's excellent but Mouchoir and Rive Gauche are more intriguing to me. This isn't to say it's bad. It's a light version of Caron PuH without the vanilla assault at the end.

Caron Third Man:

Starts off as a lavender fragrance but more in the herbal rosemary character. Then the lavender burns off quickly. The florals in the middle have a very green character and there's some powdery smells that appear that are a dead ringer to Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT. The cedarwood, moss, and bergamot make the similarity. This might be the closest copy I've ever smelled that would confuse anyone in a blind test. I already have Chanel so I don't need this but for those who love Chanel PM, but don't own it, they may want to rethink and get the Caron because it's longevity is better. The only difference is the brief citrus in the Chanel is more upfront and refreshing but most of the progression is the same but stronger with Caron.

Caron L'anarchiste:

Big citrus neroli starting up. It has a very nice fresh leafy quality to it but predominantly neroli and one of the better choices if you like that particular note. It's for guys but I think a woman could get away with it. There's a sandalwood and cedarwood note that makes this one very interesting. It could be construed as slightly metallic but not in a cold chemical way but more in a warm copper neroli way. I'm not huge on Neroli but it's the best take I've smelled so far. The only danger is that it might smell annoying in the office if too much is applied and it might be boring to wear daily. Wearing this in a hot climate or an evening out would be perfect. Two sprays is probably enough. A person could smell really unique with this one. There isn't any spices mentioned on the pyramid but it does have a cinnamon character to it. As it dries down it smells similar to Canali for Men, but much better. Well done!

Guerlain Derby Reissue:

Leafy in the Yatagan style but with citrus and a slight peppermint to freshen it further. Leather comes in it and remains very fresh and nothing is out of balance. Reading the notes before getting this sample I was imagining an experience like this. It's a bit like green leather that is more green than citrus and good to compare to Creed Royal English Leather which is more orange. It goes into fresh bread territory (rose?) while still smelling fresh . The mint is more green than minty if that makes any sense. This is an outstanding leather fragrance. I have no idea what the original smelled like but I have no complaints about this one. Very satisfied.

YSL M7:

Warm agarwood smell. Quite smooth and well blended. It's a little sweet. I've never liked agarwood much but this fragrance is very enjoyable. The musk and amber make it very comfortable and versatile and probably the most versatile agarwood you could imagine. Nice dry-down that isn't too sweet or too dry. Well done!

Guerlain L'Eau Boisee:

Some lime but it burns away quickly into Terre D'Hermes territory with the vetiver and wood. I don't notice much rum but the lime makes the vetiver "tangy" and sharp. The sour sharpness reminds me of Encre Noire. It's an interesting scent but Terre D'Hermes is more evocative. If you don't like the orange/grapefruit in Terre D'Hermes but you know you like lime then this is the scent for you.

Guerlain Homme Intense:

At first it's like anise and chocolate in the Dior Homme style but stronger. There are florals in it and it has less of that lipstick aura but it's still there. I can tell I'm not one for this Dior style because it's become a fad to smell like this which is closer to cocoa than rum. Fairly boring considering the amazing choices out there.

Hermes Bel Ami:

This is a little like Derby and Antaeus mixed together. It's like a leafy sandalwood with some amber and vetiver. Since I have Antaeus already and Derby is much better I'll pass on it. This is a happy medium for those who don't get into one or the other. It's also for those who want something like Yatagan but less weird. This is a great fragrance option.

Okay so far I'm very interested in getting a decant of the Derby Reissue and a bottle of Rive Gauche. L'Anarchist, Third Man, Mouchoir, Jicky, and M7 are all very excellent and could easily find a home for most people. I think I would choose L'Anarchist over Mouchoir only because it's so distinctive, but Mouchoir was the most dynamic scent yet doesn't fit my personality. I'll keep using up the samples for a daily wear to see if I change my mind on any of them.

Thanks for the tips guys, and Merry Christmas!

Instead of ADDM I would suggest Zanzibar by VC&A, very similar IMO and lot cheaper but the same high quality.
    Either Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille or Oud Wood.
    For a great inexpensive scent either Ungaro III or Krizia Uomo.

BTW these are great reviews, you should post them in the reviews section.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 25th December 2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Instead of ADDM I would suggest Zanzibar by VC&A, very similar IMO and lot cheaper but the same high quality.
    Either Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille or Oud Wood.
    For a great inexpensive scent either Ungaro III or Krizia Uomo.

BTW these are great reviews, you should post them in the reviews section.
    Thanks! Yes they are added in the reviews section. I love L'air du desert Marocain but I'm interested in your recommendation of Zanzibar, especially if it's the influence. I remember discovering Declaration AFTER enjoying Terre D'Hermes. It's fun to notice the copies.

Okay I bought L'air du desert marocian sample and I will reassess whether I need this after getting some pretty awesome fragrances (Derby, L'anarchiste, Rive Gauche). I think I'm done.

Great read - like your assessments of various things.

Also worth a shot, maybe:

Granville from the Dior Privé line. Pine, herbs, garrigue with oakmoss in there. It's cool and, apparently, being discontinued so try now and buy if you like it. They aren't making stuff like this anymore.

Tiffany for Men. Not expensive but you have to walk into a boutique and wait while they try to find the stuff. It's an excellent chypriental that references stuff like Derby, Patou pour Homme and that ilk . . . the only reason I can see that it has not been hung, drawn and quartered by the EU / IFRA cabal is that virtually nobody knows about it and, I suspect, the stuff in the drawers has been sitting there for a while.

Arsene Lupin (aka Dandy). It's basically L'Ames d'un Heros with a bit of violet - the 'evening' version. Both are great but subtle masculines from JPG and I suspect Dandy was his curtain call after creating so many terrific masculines for Guerlain. Derby is great, of course, but give these a shot too - they are bit more nuanced.

Invasion Barbare & Chypre Palatin from MDCI. Quality - you either love 'em or hate 'em . . . I don't wear IB much, it flips from retro to ironic, but SURPRISINGLY CP has become a sort of 'safe' go to for me. Wore it today, as it happens.

Have fun!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov