Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your favourite traditional British perfume house

Was wondering which traditional British perfume house and perfume that Basenoters like.

Floris, Trumpers, Harris, Taylor, Crown (Anglia), Trufitt & Hill, Penhaligons

I included Penhaligons, even though their formulas have been cheapened and their latest offerings have been created by a Frenchman
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Default Re: Your favourite traditional British perfume house

Of the ones in your list I've tried - Floris - although personally not a fan of any.

^ Likewise, not a fan of any of the above.

The Trumpers sample pack was truly abysmal. Not a single fragrance that I would wear.

It's between Trumpers and T&H for me, though I have a slight preference for Trumpers.

Don't forget that Creed is officially a British brand

Penhaligons.

I really like Miller Harris.

Floris

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    ....... and their latest offerings have been created by a Frenchman
    Now now...... we're all part of a united Europe now....

Sound Scents

Floris then the now defunct Crown Perfumery.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

For me, it's a tough decision between Penhaligons, Hugh Parsons, Geo F. Trumper and even Yardley.

Meagre pickings, but I'll plump for Trumpers
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

I own some by Floris, Trumper and Penhaligon's out of the ones mentioned.

Basenotes Plus

Floris would be my choice.

Floris by quite a large margin.

It used to be Penhaligons but things change.

Overcome By Fumes

Crown

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    Now now...... we're all part of a united Europe now....
    Still not British though
    Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Floris by quite a large margin.

It used to be Penhaligons but things change.
    The way Penhaligons has been treated in recent years is a travesty. When Sheila Pickles owned the company, everything was such high quality with a certain British charm, like hand written receipts in beautiful script.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Floris.
    Their Vetiver alone earns them the title.
    Too bad it's discontinued.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Nice to see you drop by, Prince Barry!

I prefer Floris and Truefitt & Hill, with a nod to the new Grossmith and Ormonde Jayne. (I love the OJ Orris Noir and Frangipani!)

I have some complaints about the quality of Penhaligon's decreasing, and the bottle presentation is atrocious. My bottle of Endymion had glue all over the ribbon and the label was plastered on at an angle.

Come now, Penhaligon's. Really? I love Sartorial, Hammam Bouquet and Endymion, and think the presentation should take pride in the product by its details.

Savile Row tailors earn their reputations by the attention to details.

Was wondering which traditional British perfume house and perfume that Basenoters like.

Floris, Trumpers, Harris, Taylor, Crown (Anglia), Trufitt & Hill, Penhaligons

I included Penhaligons, even though their formulas have been cheapened and their latest offerings have been created by a Frenchman
    And some Frenchmen have been trotted out to be perfumers in wild ad campaigns with so-called legends. You know who I am talking about!
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th December 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Nice to see you drop by, Prince Barry!

I prefer Floris and Truefitt & Hill, with a nod to the new Grossmith and Ormonde Jayne. (I love the OJ Orris Noir and Frangipani!)

I have some complaints about the quality of Penhaligon's decreasing, and the bottle presentation is atrocious. My bottle of Endymion had glue all over the ribbon and the label was plastered on at an angle.

Come now, Penhaligon's. Really? I love Sartorial, Hammam Bouquet and Endymion, and think the presentation should take pride in the product by its details.

Savile Row tailors earn their reputations by the attention to details.

And some Frenchmen have been trotted out to be perfumers in wild ad campaigns with so-called legends. You know who I am talking about!
    Haha, it's wonderful to be back dearest Primrose. I still love Hammam Bouquet, but alas, the quality is no longer there.

Roja Dove

In my opinion Trumpers is far and away the highest quality British house nowadays. Floris have one or two good compositions made from fairly ordinary ingredients and many very obvious and poor ones.
    Penhaligons are not a serious house any longer in my opinion. Formulae are radically cheapened and some of the fragrances are miles outside the British tradition (what is Quercus all about???).

Harris, Taylor, Truefitt have always been cheap - they offer good value and I like a few of their frags but they are not really high quality offerings. Harris is my favourite of these - some good everyday colognes. Though it has to be said that higher quality colognes are available in French supermarkets at £5 for 500ml.

C&S are very good and are kind of related to British style fragrances. But most of them were formulated and composed in anglophile Italy and then reconstructed without formulae here - and somewhat cheapened.
    Trumpers have been reformulated a few times but to me remain high quality and very much in the tradition. They are all very practical in a pragmatic English way with no continental style frills-and-lace. Some are truly excellent too.

I enjoy Mayfair by D.R. Harris, but it's so strong that I have to be in the mood for it. A strong floral musk for men that defies all the aquatics being released these days. So nice to have something different for a change. This is an EDT but it packs a punch.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hirch, couldn't agree with you more.

Primrose, I MUST try Mayfair, it sounds worthy of the Count

Roja Dove

Not a real nice choice of houses to choose from, so I would have to go with Penhaligons, with Floris in second.

With Floris, JF and Elite are nice, but many others (Cefrio, 89, etc) are too soapy or ordinary to me. Penhaligon's has Sartorial and one of my favorite Rose fragrances ever - Hammam Bouquet. That one alone would put it over the other "British" houses. But I also like the Anthology Collection - Eau Sans Pariel and Esprit du Roi - These are quite nice and underrated IMO.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Puredistance - Black

5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

The only house out of those listed I have any experience with is Penhaligons. I have to confess though I'm not exactly a fan, or I'm not a fan of what they are even if I have some admiration for what they were, much like MPG. Their bottles are nice at least, I'll give them that.

Actually of all 'standard pattern, regular size' niche bottles they're probably my favourite.

However the last Penhaligon scent I own is Juniper Sling. It smells great, but the longevity is so bad, and in all honesty when I compare it to other fragrances I like which have a boozy character like Escada Pour Homme I just can't really sniff any noticable difference in overall quality. Maybe my nose is broken. Either way it seems a great many of their scents have some issue that doesn't recommend them to me.

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's is exquisite, but drives me crazy with its fleeting longevity. BTW, STOP cramming your French Creed into a British Discussion...Jeez can't you people give it a rest for two seconds!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Dougczar, I have big issues with Penhaligons' Anthology collection. Back in 1996 they were called English Classics and cost £28 for 100ml. Now they cost £110 for 100ml. All I can say is that Bertrand charged them a fortune for his creative skills and that is now reflected in the price.

Roja Dove

Dougczar, I have big issues with Penhaligons' Anthology collection. Back in 1996 they were called English Classics and cost £28 for 100ml. Now they cost £110 for 100ml. All I can say is that Bertrand charged them a fortune for his creative skills and that is now reflected in the price.
    Prince Barry, I can't argue with you there -- I like the fragrances quite a bit, but I sure understand how people wouldn't think they are worth what they are asking for those (considering their sub-par longevity - at least on me)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Puredistance - Black

5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

They were always fleeting fragrances. I think they were created as simple toilet waters that needed refreshing through the day.

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Don't forget that Creed is officially a British brand
    i was gonna mention this as well.

But for me, it's Penhaligon's. Their Eau De Cologne, Juniper Sling, Castile, and Opus 1870 are all just masterworks. Quercus, Extract of Limes and Eau De Verveine are great as well.

But my favorite british scents of them all are:

1. Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
    2. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes

I'm awfully fond of Blenheim Bouquet, so I suppose Penhaligon's. Alas, their Hammam Bouquet is now merely the hulk of what might have once been among the greatest male fragrances. I have tried Floris' offerings, and not been impressed by them. But of Trumper, I think I have only tried their Spanish Leather (not to my taste), and Wild Fern. The latter was excellent, and not easily compared to anything else. I ought really look into Trumper more.

Hirch, couldn't agree with you more.

Primrose, I MUST try Mayfair, it sounds worthy of the Count
    Barry, Mayfair, of course, is where the Count and his wife lived when they moved to London. In Curzon Street, actually. This is before he and Lady B moved to Seamore Place and/or Gore House.

I would call Mayfair a powerhouse because of the massive sillage. A great scent, easy to find, and not likely to be worn by the masses.

I am still loving Sarrasins, a huge jasmine scent with leather.

A word on the latest version of Sandringham. I like the muguet note.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th December 2012 at 09:27 PM.

I have sent an email to D R Harris concerning Mayfair.

Im sure that I have a sample of Sandringham somewhere, I will check it out.

Roja Dove

Each of the companies mentioned has good or mediocre frags. my favorite is GFT EUCRIS. very unique scent that stand out in the crowd. another favorite is TOBS Mr. Taylor.

Floris and Penhaligons - a draw.

Creed has a British feeling al the way, like it or not!
    No! Don't work for Creed!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Creed has a British feeling al the way, like it or not!
    No! Don't work for Creed!
    Again stop trying to cram your Creed loving propaganda into every thread. It is listed as French, based in Paris and has no place in a British discussion. I could say Spaghetti, Pizza, Chianti, and Cannoli are really American b/c I see so many American's producing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Again stop trying to cram your Creed loving propaganda into every thread. It is listed as French, based in Paris and has no place in a British discussion. I could say Spaghetti, Pizza, Chianti, and Cannoli are really American b/c I see so many American's producing them.
    damn right, Americans invented Italy!
    Creed for ever!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    damn right, Americans invented Italy!
    Creed for ever!
    LOL, My point exactly. Napoleon III and his luxury-loving court lured the Creed family from London to Paris over 150 years ago. Makes them French in my book...

You, over there ... yes, you.

Take this talk of Creed away from here.

It has no place in a thread discussing British fragrance houses.

Be gone with you.

Just for the record, I'd put Creed a VERY long way down a VERY long list.

So ... ner ner ne ner ner.

^^ Like

Roja Dove

You, over there ... yes, you.

Take this talk of Creed away from here.

It has no place in a thread discussing British fragrance houses.

Be gone with you.

Just for the record, I'd put Creed a VERY long way down a VERY long list.

So ... ner ner ne ner ner.
    Agree with this all the way. Creed ceased to be truly British by the time they started their TAILORING BUSINESS in France. It's like saying Hennessey cognac is as Irish as Old Bushmills. History changes things.

^^ Like
    Yes, it's called "hijacking a thread" in Internet-speak.

Another to add to my list of BRITISH scents: Taylor of Old Bond Street Original #74. A floral musk.

I'm a newbie from the USA and exploring British scents. Is Murdocks of London considered "traditional British"?

I have some friends that very much like their "Black Tea" EDC. It is said to be a fresh, modern take on "traditional British"

Just asking.....

Of the British scents I've tried I enjoy Penhaligons Sartorial and Endymion.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TR10 View Post
    I'm a newbie from the USA and exploring British scents. Is Murdocks of London considered "traditional British"?

I have some friends that very much like their "Black Tea" EDC. It is said to be a fresh, modern take on "traditional British"

Just asking.....

Of the British scents I've tried I enjoy Penhaligons Sartorial and Endymion.

Thanks.
    This seems to be a newcomer to the line of British scents that I have not explored. Great addition to the discussion, TR10.

Older houses like Floris (1700s) and Truefitt (early 1800s) have older pedigrees while Penhaligon's was founded in the later 1800s.

Has anyone tried the new Murdock scents? If so, I am interested in how they stack up to the older houses' offerings?
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th December 2012 at 09:49 PM.

I sent Murdock an email quiite a while ago enquiring about samples, but they never replied. We don't have any Murdock salons up here in Yorkshire.

Roja Dove

Blog Entries

I sent Murdock an email quiite a while ago enquiring about samples, but they never replied. We don't have any Murdock salons up here in Yorkshire.
    Ayup lad! I didn't know thee was from Yorkshire! Murdock samples are impossible to find!!

I own Murdock's Black Tea and I'm wearing it as my SOTD and I am quite taken with it but have not tried the other scents they have.

Murdocks are a high class Barbers established in 2006 and they have five shops located in the London area. They have their own range of shaving products and also six colognes under the Murdock name.

The fragrances are advertised as been traditional based scents with a modern twist meaning they have done their own take on the established fragrance genres.

The colognes they do are:

Black Tea: Tea,spice, leather and woods.
    Avalon: A light fresh citrus.
    Vetiver: Bergamont, Vetiver and Tree Moss.
    Patchouli: Cardamom,nutmeg, rose,jasmine,geranium, patchouli.
    Brightleaf: Tobacco& Cedar
    Fougere: Green herbal, lavender & Oakmoss.

I myself really want to try out the others especially the Patchouli fragrance as their seems to be a lot of notes going on in the composition which makes it interesting. The problem is samples are very hard to come by if they exist and only a few stores carry their fragrances.

Possum pie, aye lad, Yorkshire born and bred tha nors

Thanks Jack for answering the query concerning Murdock.

Roja Dove

They were kind enough to send me sprayed paper spills, which is better then nowt (as they say in Yorkshire). The only one I was interested in based on those was the Fougere. I subsequently tried this one in Liberty. You have to go down to the Murdock barbershop in the basement, it isn't with the rest of the fragrances. Anyway, my nose was a bit over-saturated to make much of it, but it's a sharp, dry green one in the manner of English Fern and Wild Fern. Nothing like the reformulated Fougere Royal, incidentally.

Aye Marais, better than nowt. I got nowt, not even a reply to my email. The Fougere sounds nice, I'm actually wearing English Fern today.

Roja Dove

I purchased a bottle of Murdock's Black Tea last week online (haven't received it yet). The gentleman was kind enough, but stated there are no samples. It's not that they are unavailable; it's that they do not exist.

I purchased a bottle of Murdock's Black Tea last week online (haven't received it yet). The gentleman was kind enough, but stated there are no samples. It's not that they are unavailable; it's that they do not exist.
    Thanks for that. Pity, I don't envisage a trip to London in the near future to sniff them and I don't fancy a 'blind' buy.

Roja Dove

The whole line is available in John Lewis' in Nottingham, so I assume it would be in other branches?

The whole line is available in John Lewis' in Nottingham, so I assume it would be in other branches?
    We don't have a John Lewis in Leeds yet. Harvey Nicks, Frasers and Debenhams is all we have

Roja Dove

Fair dues, mi oad.

How odd that they would not want to promote the product with carded samples. This flies in the face of good business. Who would not want to promote sales with samples?

I agree it is an odd way to launch a new line. And at £70 a bottle they aren't exactly a cheap blind buy! I expect samples are pricey to produce, but other small manufacturers manage it. Maybe they are hoping for online buzz to do the marketing for them.

By the way, the Murdock line is not available in all JL branches. Certainly not Bristol!

Has anyone tried the Grossmith line? Interesting background on this house and I am interested in sampling.

haven't tried it Primrose, the price put me off.

Roja Dove

Barry, yes, the prices are rather steep.

I just wanted to know if they are worth the price.

I'll take Czech & Speake over any of the lines.