Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which nominee should win the 'Best New Male Frag' at the 2013 FiFi Awards?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Bond - 007

1 1.45%
  • Acqua di Parma - Bergamotto di Calabria

4 5.80%
  • Hugo Boss - Boss Bottled Sport

1 1.45%
  • Calvin Klein - Encounter

0 0%
  • Prada - Luna Rossa

4 5.80%
  • Tom Ford - Tom Ford Noir

9 13.04%
  • Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb

50 72.46%

Default Best New Male Fragrance nominees - FiFi Awards. Imagine it's your choice...

I was given a link* to the list of nominees (thanks Estellana) for the 'Best New Male Fragrance' award at this year's FiFi awards (they need a better name).

I know that 2012 didn't have the most mind-blowing releases, but there are some on the list that I feel shouldn't be there, and some missing that should be. Although I hate it, I'm surprised Eau Sauvage Parfum didn't make the cut.

You'll note that I haven't left a voting space for 'other' - this is because I want you to put yourself in the judge's shoes, so you've only got the nominees from which to choose. I want to hear which one of these fragrances you think should win, then when the winners are announced on May 16, we can compare how we all went.

Please also post thoughts about which other fragrances you think should have been nominated, and which nominees should have been bumped to include your suggestions.

*The press release can be found here: http://www.fragrancefoundation.org.u...EASE%20pdf.pdf

Also, don't ask me why Bergamotto di Calabria is there when it was not released last year. I can't come up with a reason, although granted I've not tried hard to find one
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 10th March 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Best New Male Fragrance nominees - FiFi Awards. Imagine it's your choice...

Wow...nothing stands out this year. Spicebomb is a bomb, Prada Luna Rossa is nothing special, and I can't bring myself to vote for a flanker or a frag. named after an action hero...Encounter smells sour, TF Noir smells like baby powder. Guess I'll abstain from the vote. I think Bergamotto di Calabria came out several years ago???
    Last edited by Diogenes65; 10th March 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: Best New Male Fragrance nominees - FiFi Awards. Imagine it's your choice...

Spicebomb

I really liked Luna Rossa when I sampled it.

Not a great choice to be fair.

I do really enjoy spicebomb though so that gets my vote.

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb from your list

Nothing of note to vote for. They will all end up in cheap perfume shops before the year is out.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Spicebomb is voteworthy - nothing else of interest.

*yawn* I would say Spicebomb, even though I think is a rip off of 1 Million, with a strong tea note added.

Sound Scents

None of those merit a vote.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus

I never imagined I'd pick Spicebomb as a best of anything.

From the list, Spicebomb would get my vote. I'm not sure if unisex fragrances can be included in 'Best New Male Fragrance', but if so, I would liked to have seen these 2012 releases included:

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud
    Amouage Opus VI
    Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee
    Hermes Voayge d'Hermes Parfum
    Mason Francis Kurkdjian Oud
    MDCI Chypre Palatin

We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb

spicebomb. I was surprised to see 007 and encounter on the list

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    +1 Agree.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

A narrow list but if I had to pick one, it would be Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    From the list, Spicebomb would get my vote. I'm not sure if unisex fragrances can be included in 'Best New Male Fragrance', but if so, I would liked to have seen these 2012 releases included:

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud
    Amouage Opus VI
    Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee
    Hermes Voayge d'Hermes Parfum
    Mason Francis Kurkdjian Oud
    MDCI Chypre Palatin

Yeah, I don't know what the nomination retrictions are (presumably the real niche US stuff, like Kerosene and Slumberhouse are out) as the nominees all seem like they're readily available at almost all department stores, but I would think that would mean that the Goutal and the Hermes would be eligible. Voyage Parfum is excellent, although maybe the fact that it's a parfum version of an earlier EDT release - despite how different they are from each other - rendered it ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by zZMoonLightZz View Post
    I was surprised to see 007 and encounter on the list
    Ditto - those were the two that really made me say 'WHAAA?' I know it's popular to jump on the CK-bashing bandwagon, but Encounter is pretty damn dull. I could see it being one of the best selling new frags of 2012, but not the very best new frag.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    A narrow list but if I had to pick one, it would be Spicebomb.
    That's how I voted. Spicebomb isn't my kind of scent, but at least I can understand why others like it. Luna Rossa isn't too bad either, the rest are all below-average scents.

Spicebomb, IMO, is rather good. Luna Rossa I bought after a few tastings for a nice spring fragrance. Tom Ford noir I might ask for birthday or Christmas. Not a bad scent. Nothing spectacular in this group but they aren't terrible either

Thank you. My thoughts too.

None will be classics in my opinion. Can't vote cor any of them.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Amouage Interlude Man
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud
    Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb

All three of those I like a great deal.
    Haven't yet tried Luna Rossa, but am eager to.

Don't like any of 'em.

What a sorry lot of nothing...I must be getting old...

Basenotes Plus

No idea how they ended with this wretched shortlist. Honestly. FIFI Awards seems to be getting worse every year.

What a sad, sorry, pathetic little collection . . . how can anyone take this even remotely seriously?

Embarrassing.

Non of the above.

Spicebomb and TF Noir are quite good I think. The rest, not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    What a sad, sorry, pathetic little collection . . . how can anyone take this even remotely seriously?

Embarrassing.
    Quote of the day. I laughed out loud. Thank you!

I'd neither vote for nor buy any of them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i have spicebomb and boss bottled sport. neither are special. prada and encounter seem to be a joke to everyone. never tried the rest, so i will not vote. i'm sure something else came out last year basenotes is overlooking..

Out of one's I have sampled on the list, I would go with Spicebomb.

LOL....it comes down to the lesser of two Evils....Spicebomb is decent if you remember to apply only half a spray below the equator.