Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Should I pee into the O'Drił?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 82.76%
  • No

15 17.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Should I urinate into this O'Drił fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Were told that eating pineapple will bring out the honey note .... KOUROS + AVENTUS
    haha best comment in the thread here

A very helpful thread. Thanks to Brian Chambers for starting this and adding that explanatory note.
    It is an odd concept -- but life is full of oddities and possibilities.
    Of course do it!
    I got the same sample, now that I understand that "pee pee" is to be understood literally, I'll do it.
    The sample smells pretty good in the dropper vial (pre-pee-pee). It is a real old-school 80's powerhouse: leather, spice, woods. At this point (just sniffin') it suggests a ramped-up Jules by Dior.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

This reminded me, for obvious reasons, of a restaurant that I used to go to in NYC back when I lived there in the early 00s. The men's urinals had mirrors positioned in such a way that you essentially pissed on your own face. Perfect for self-loathing demimonde!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I got the same sample, now that I understand that "pee pee" is to be understood literally, I'll do it.

Maybe a third person should compare the personalised batches?

In the 17th and 18th-centuries, human urine was often applied topically in Europe. It was considered medicinal, occasionally aesthetic; men would sometimes request the urine of their lovers. I understand that at Versailles, women would often not retire from the dance floor to avail themselves of lavatories, but allow the stream to soak their underclothes. Such bulky costume to disarray, after all. So it is a bouquet that has been tried before, for centuries at a time. I don't find it especially shocking, nor, for that matter, particularly interesting; in such small quantities, it seems mannered and polite dabbling in such things, if you really care to do so. I am curious to know whether whether they have actually devised a set of chemicals that alter in response to differences in urine. Is that what is intended? The claim that one's DNA could in and of itself make a difference to what it adds to this perfume sounds far-fetched, except as an ultimate cause of a few chemical variations. Diet, age, and health would be as significant.

Anyway, yes, you should try it, if it would amuse; and to note the difference with and without. It could well be an emperor's new bladder sort of thing - but I'd guess that they have put some thought into it.

Washing your face in urine used to be a home remedy for pimples and acne- or was that someone playing a trick on me?

PS- does any of that kit need batteries Brian?

Basenotes Plus

Wowzas, you're not gonna be selling any decants of this one I guess! Seriously though, that's kind of awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Its not a new thing in perfumery, Jean Paul Gaultier has been doing this for years.
    Oh schnap!

Today SECRACTION was my SOTD for the second time. I've not walked the line of adding "my part" to it yet, just because I want to get to know the fragrance as it is first and, then, I'll probably go for the "personalized" version to understand what's the difference. Beside that, I still find this composition extremely well done and solid. A potent and warm leathery-animalic opening (not challenging whatsoever) with the usual O'Drił herbal signature yet somewhat prettified if compared to most of the previous deliveries of this brand. The middle phase is all about a moderately sweet, yet extremely sophisticated vanilla joined by spices galore (I mainly get cinnamon and pepper) and by a bueatiful rose-jasmine pattern to then turn into a balmy-woody-musky drydown of great depth. It's completely original (expecially for those who are not familiar with the brand) without being odd, extremely wearable and pleasant and, most of all, absolutely unique while still playing some familiar accords. I just wished it was slightly more potent during the final phases...

Now, if the P will make the difference or not, I don't know yet but I will get to know pretty soon.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

SECRACTIONs magnifique?

The fact that the forum has voted overwhelmingly Yes! to whether or not you should add the urine may make me rethink taking the formum's advice on scents in the future

What an adventurous bunch. Does this mean that everyone who voted yes would add their own secret ingredient, or we just like having a human guinea pig to try it out for us?

The question is do you mind filling up an atomizer with "P" and spraying it all over your body? If you don't, I think you should go for it!
    what's the difference between a drop and a few sprays?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    It's fun to see how people react to this. To me, it's actually quite typical -- though totally inspired -- postmodern art. I wouldn't be surprised if a little bit of new odorants really are created by the reactions triggered, as well.
    ...ooops, forgot to add...I always loved ^^^ MB!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    we just like having a human guinea pig to try it out for us
    This!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Most guys dont wash their hands after peeing anyway unless other are watching in a public restroom. Even then often not. Then they go back into the party and grab a handfull of snacks from the bowl at the party. Then you grab a handfull and stuff it in your mouth. Chances are you got a chip touched by an unwashed hand with traces off pee on it. Think about it. You have probably swallowed pee from another man at some point! I can imagine how that must make some of you squirm just a bit. A drop in a bottle is nothing to worry about.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I did it, here are my notes.
    1. Before the addition. The juice is a deep clear golden colour. The scent starts off in a very sweet, almost candied way, with a hint of leather. Perhaps a mint note, or something bright. I don't find this to be very herbal, not as much as many others in the O'Driu line. Yes, there are some vanilla and balsamic notes. (I really can't improve on alfarom's insightful break-down.) The spices are OK and as suggested, cinnamon and black pepper. The sweetness burns off, and a pleasant light leather and wood chord emerges. The florals interact well with the leather. This is not my style of scent but I can appreciate it.
    2. After the addition (one drop). The liquid became opaque and cloudy. The scent was still candied. Perhaps not surprisingly, the scent has a somewhat metallic or acidic tone. What surprises me though is that the effect is counter to what was promised. The scent has "shut down" -- this version is not as attractive, not as complex... it is smaller. There is a radical loss of the floral and wood notes. In my case, I can't see any advantage in the "addition" and in fact a considerable disadvantage. Eventually the scent opens up and regains some of the aspects of version 1, but not to the extent or with the former's complexity. It is a muted, perhaps smoother but less complex version of #1.
    I'll be interested in other comparisons.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

^^^^ that's very interesting Ody. I remember Pregoni talking about the scent turning sort of "opaque" during the initial phases of the "personalized" version but he also referred to an apple-ish note that's probably what you refer to as acidic-metallic (which makes a whole lotta sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Most guys dont wash their hands after peeing anyway unless other are watching in a public restroom. Even then often not. Then they go back into the party and grab a handfull of snacks from the bowl at the party. Then you grab a handfull and stuff it in your mouth. Chances are you got a chip touched by an unwashed hand with traces off pee on it. Think about it. You have probably swallowed pee from another man at some point! I can imagine how that must make some of you squirm just a bit. A drop in a bottle is nothing to worry about.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the urine itself, more about that someone at O'Drił may enjoy it a little too much that I just doused myself with it lol.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Very interesting, odysseusm-- thanks for the review.

Wouldntit give a fish smell. I work near a alley and that smell is what comes mi.d when read this.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

No.

I wonder if a low carb diet interferes with the trigger of the chemical reaction... and I certainly would not like the smell of ketone... Interesting thread indeed.

Perhaps it is worth noting that the "addition" is only a very small drop amidst a somewhat larger volume. I don't think that the drop, in and of itself, has an excessively pronounced odor.
    odysseusm

I'm going to email a doctor and see what possible pros and cons are involved in adding urine to a fragrance, the assumption here seems to be that it is harmless, but I think its prudent to at least check before advising others that its a safe practice.

And I know the historical context, but people in the past didn't exactly have the greatest survival rates,
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Dependent

Dropped some juice on one moillette, and sprayed some "secreted" juice on another.

Surprised to find there is indeed a bit of difference. The additive has rounded the frag, added something smooth, warm, and animalic to the center of it. The harsher edges of the cinnamon leaf are a bit smoothed. It comes across a bit more sweet as well. I did not notice anything acidic or metallic. I would definitely say the composition was improved -- deepened -- by the addition.

of URINE. ew

Interesting, but I'm sure that many people might have problems issuing batches of the secret ingredient with the same composition, so I wouldn't be surprised to get a range of different results.

The more I think about it, I think I'd be prepared to try it on myself. Urine should be aseptic when it comes out and the alcohol content of the scent should work pretty effectively on it too.

Personally, knowing the exposure one's hands get to dirt and germs, some might say a true gentleman washes his hands before he goes (or does washing before and after count as OCD?)

Does it seem odd to anyone else how easily we took this seriously?

a 3D rendering of the actual commercial bottle of SECRACTION

Thanks alfa. Looks interesting.
    Not sure what to say about the whole secret addition. I haven't tried it yet but may do so once I've had some time to digest the fragrance as-is.
    Interesting how different MB's and Ody's impressions are.

What about the whole concept though? Interesting? I wonder if Mr P has added his own special additions? A mingling of creator and consumer if you will.
    I feel like I should be repulsed, but not, so strange......

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    Yes.

Has anyone tried adding 'just a drop' to any other fragrance? I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some, er, changes to the scent as well.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

I wonder what would happen if one, by mistake, would add some seminal fluid instead. Would it turn into Mugler Cologne? And can a perfume that would require this ever be truly unisex or would perfume have genitals then, kind of?

Oh lawd! At least it's not a fecal note to be added. Lets just be grateful for small mercies.

Quote Originally Posted by foustie View Post
    oh lawd! At least it's not a fecal note to be added. Lets just be grateful for small mercies.
    lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplelune View Post
    Yes.

Has anyone tried adding 'just a drop' to any other fragrance? I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some, er, changes to the scent as well.
    Oh nooooos, please don't give them ideas! I hope this will not become a trend!

front side 3D rendering...

It looks like a nun.

We are having a meetup on Thursday, so I am holding off on this little experiment until then. Thanks MB and odysseum for giving it a shot. Very interesting result--although I'm not entirely convinced that the joke's not on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I wonder what would happen if one, by mistake, would add some seminal fluid instead. Would it turn into Mugler Cologne? And can a perfume that would require this ever be truly unisex or would perfume have genitals then, kind of?
    As the male reproductive and urinary systems share a common lower outlet, there would probably be some cross-contamination anyway. Urine samples often contain sperm cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    It looks like a nun.
    It TOTALLY looks like a nun and more precisely, IMO, a nun played by Edwige Fenech. There Are some interesting thoughts on this, in the other thread...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...egoni-(O-Drił)

It looks like a nun.

We are having a meetup on Thursday, so I am holding off on this little experiment until then. Thanks MB and odysseum for giving it a shot. Very interesting result--although I'm not entirely convinced that the joke's not on us.
    You can say that again!
    In the next composition they will ask you to add a drop of blood

I think it is worth noting that civet, castoreum, musk, hyraceum, and ambergris are all biologically excreted and for the most part orders of magnitude fouler than urine. And yet these things are all found in fragrances--increasingly they are synthetic versions, but the notes are still there. I don't think a single drop of urine in a 15ml fragrance sample is particularly shocking from an olfactory point of view.

As noted above, the backsplash one receives in a single day is greater in volume than a wearing of this scent would be.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    I laughed for about 2 minutes straight after I received my sample.

Very interesting result--although I'm not entirely convinced that the joke's not on us.
    Pregoni's obviously a very intelligent artist, as well as a good perfumer.

There is a lot of humor in this, quite up front, with the urinaceous wordplay and yellow-themed design with capital P's everywhere. That doesn't mean it can't also be a serious work of art. In fact, that multifacetedness is precisely what interests me here. This project is very much on the "art" side of the spectrum, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that confuses people.

Totally agree with this. The real experience of the art, when all is said and done, is probably going to be less about the scent and more that I had a week long dilemma (losing sleep even!) over whose terms, mine or the perfumer's, would determine how I grappled with this fragrance. Nothing in a bottle has ever created such a quandary for me, and if it ends up smelling totally uninteresting, it would still be a very successful project from my point of view.

And I hope it hasn't been lost in my posts that I think this is a lot of fun. I went to F. Malle's 10-years-at-Barneys party last week and began telling someone about this fragrance; and when he realized that I had the sample in my bag and that it may or may not contain urine, you have never seen a champagne glass put down so fast or a conversation ended so abruptly! Not that I would ever call F. Malle "establishment"--in fact, I think he's a hero--but it was very amusing to see these little ripples of shock in a department store setting. I think Mr. Pregoni would have been proud.

I laughed for about 2 minutes straight after I received my sample.

Pregoni's obviously a very intelligent artist, as well as a good perfumer.

There is a lot of humor in this, quite up front, with the urinaceous wordplay and yellow-themed design with capital P's everywhere. That doesn't mean it can't also be a serious work of art. In fact, that multifacetedness is precisely what interests me here. This project is very much on the "art" side of the spectrum, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that confuses people.

Dependent

And I hope it hasn't been lost in my posts that I think this is a lot of fun. I went to F. Malle's 10-years-at-Barneys party last week and began telling someone about this fragrance; and when he realized that I had the sample in my bag and that it may or may not contain urine, you have never seen a champagne glass put down so fast or a conversation ended so abruptly! Not that I would ever call F. Malle "establishment"--in fact, I think he's a hero--but it was very amusing to see these little ripples of shock in a department store setting. I think Mr. Pregoni would have been proud.
    Classic anecdote! Hilarious.

That's exactly what I meant when I said I'd love to see SAs in facy shops introducing the fragrance to high-end customers From my point of veiw, these massive threads could be quite enough to declare a success but what has yet to come, it's going to be even better. Classifying Pregoni as a mere perfumer would be extremely reductive. He's a tout-court artist who always involves olfaction in his work. On top of that, he's a talented perfumer and one of a kind individual.

There is a lot of humor in this, quite up front, with the urinaceous wordplay and yellow-themed design with capital P's everywhere.
    A P makes the difference says pretty much all. A P-erfume makes the difference, A-ngelo P-regoni makes the difference, A P makes the difference. Same for the name Secraction (as was noted by Foustie)...Secret....secretion....action....attraction, secret action? This use of wordings is extremely Futurist as opposed to futuristic. Gotta love this, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Some inspirational pictures used for the design of the bottle which is going to be made of crystal and black bakelite. The cap will be an upside down funnel...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    The fact that the forum has voted overwhelmingly Yes! to whether or not you should add the urine may make me rethink taking the formum's advice on scents in the future

What an adventurous bunch. Does this mean that everyone who voted yes would add their own secret ingredient, or we just like having a human guinea pig to try it out for us?
    Toxoplasma is clearly voting YES.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    front side 3D rendering...

Oh, **** - I'm buying this just for the bottle. There should be an entire line of clothing to go with it.

Totally agree with this. The real experience of the art, when all is said and done, is probably going to be less about the scent and more that I had a week long dilemma (losing sleep even!) over whose terms, mine or the perfumer's, would determine how I grappled with this fragrance. Nothing in a bottle has ever created such a quandary for me, and if it ends up smelling totally uninteresting, it would still be a very successful project from my point of view.
    Yes, it really is about the art, if there are only enough people to ponder it. Sooner or later, it will get picked up by the major press, and it will become fodder for the chumleys. "Look at the loony perfume nuts!" Whatever. What's interesting to me is that only a few nuns actually seemed to understand Serrano's infamous "Piss Christ" - so how many people are going to get "Piss You" (or when you truly deal with it, "Piss Me")? Not many.

I honestly wish they didn't include the word "fetish" on it. Too many people try to rationalize us by scientific ("Oh, you're a chemist!"), sexual ("Perfume fetish? Kinky!"), or collector angles. No excuses. We are what we are. We aren't the one's who don't understand.

There is also a part of me that loves this for cultural reasons. There are (thankfully, because we haven't wiped them out, yet) cultures where urine is no big deal. So watching Westerners dance around their own taboo has all the poignant humor of watching non-technological peoples deal with what seems harmless to us.

Art is one of the easiest ways to see the irreversibility of information. The thing is, if you want to actually be a part of it, you have to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The thing is, if you want to actually be a part of it, you have to choose.
    That's brilliant. Thanks, Red. You've nailed it.

‎"We must never be afraid to go too far, for truth lies beyond."
    ~ Marcel Proust

ody
    Last edited by odysseusm; 11th December 2012 at 01:05 AM.
    odysseusm

Art is one of the easiest ways to see the irreversibility of information. The thing is, if you want to actually be a part of it, you have to choose.
    I'm actually no longer on the fence. I'm just waiting for some of you to show up on my doorstep Thursday because eight noses are better than one! (How's that for fetish?)

Lol.... Olfactory orgy.

Blog Entries

I'm actually no longer on the fence. I'm just waiting for some of you to show up on my doorstep Thursday because eight noses are better than one! (How's that for fetish?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Lol.... Olfactory orgy.
    Bring it on! Better to sail over the edge of the olfactory art world in one boat, methinks!

- - - Updated - - -

That's brilliant. Thanks, Red. You've nailed it.

~ Marcel Proust

ody
    To quote another brave fragrance fan of our acquaintance:

"Me likey."

Peeing one's pants over spraying oneself with a droplet of urine. Is this the logical conclusion of the search for exclusivity? Not many of the 'uninitiated' will bother to join in. LOL.

~ Marcel Proust

The thing is, if you want to actually be a part of it, you have to choose.
    To P, or not to P....that is the question........

(PS: Did you like my acting?)

All you need to do is to understand the language of the artist.

Personally I will not spray myself with urine (outside of the bathroom, if you insist that there is sprinkling going on. I even go through the bother of showering and washing my hands as to not smell of it :-) so it's not a dilemma for me. It would take a lot of hype, compliment and panty drop stories to tempt me. Maybe because I still remember when some people claimed that drinking one's morning urine is healthy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    To P, or not to P....that is the question........
    (PS: Did you like my acting?)
    Encore!
    odysseusm

treeman5823

Best thread ever.

After a couple of full wearings of the "standard" version, today I went for the "personalized" one and must say that while the difference is substantial, at the same time it's not radical. The fragrance still preserves a thick leathery-musky-balmy structure but the vanillla, after the initial blast, gets tamed down brutally leaving space to a nice appleish-cinnamon combo that while sounding gourmandish, it totally skips the edible aspect of the accord introducing a metallic, sort of nose-tingling vibe the drives the fragrance towards modern territories. The interesting aspect is that, despite the slightly metallic accord, Secraction still feels incredibly warm, subtly animalic, sort of visceral. Again, there's NOTHING challenging about this composition, in fact, is quite easy to like. What, IMO, really changes from the "standard" version is that the base is less woody, less peppery and more about a spicy floral musk combo. The woods get almost killed in the "augmented" version.

A funny thing I'd like to point out after several wearings is that Secraction works subliminally. You think it's gone but then you get whiffs of its peculiar projection and this goes on and on and on...Projection! This is the point of stregth of this stuff. Don't get me wrong, Secraction is not a projection monster (at least not after the first two hours or so) but I find it smelling a lot differently when smelled up close. This is a very well done fragrance but if smelled in projection, this stuff is killer. So unique. That's why I personally believe a paper strip test doesn't give justice to the composition.

In the end, I've to say that with or without the P, this is a top quality fragrance. Both the two versions are well worth experiencing if you're into original fragrances. Again, unique without being odd.

Blog Entries

u. wear

Quote Originally Posted by redneck perfumisto View Post
    u. Wear
    lol

Banned

Hahaha Brian this is hilarious:-) so in the end your question was not your provocation of the members of BN:-) , i am sure many , including myself thought you are playing joke with us:-) was so funny to me,

So if it is true, i would put some tears in it:-) the one you got from laughing:-) not crying, they must have DNA too, and are secretions:-)

But folks this to me is really too much:-) they don't know how to attract attention anymore, its the same as this performance art:-) , i just think if someone got bored of perfumes should do something else:-)....but since they make better reaction this way they succeeded in their intention well:-) t to provoke reaction hehe

awesome. finally dadaist fragrance art.

- - - Updated - - -

@ alfarom - if the scent is *chemically* altered by the drop o' pee, surely your perspiration would do the same over time on your skin? could one of you spritz some of the unadulterated jus on, do something exertful, and report back on the morph over time?

in the interests of science...

don't do it!

The vintage perfume users among us have sprayed thesmelves with anal secretions of civets, deer musk and whale vomit, so a little pee shouldn't be such a big deal. It's all in the mind, isn't it. A few years ago, own-pee-drinking was an esoteric medical fad in Germany (auto-immunization blabla), so, no, we're not the only weirdos out there...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

u. wear
    You know me!

Quote Originally Posted by efemmeral View Post

@ alfarom - if the scent is *chemically* altered by the drop o' pee, surely your perspiration would do the same over time on your skin? could one of you spritz some of the unadulterated jus on, do something exertful, and report back on the morph over time?

in the interests of science...
    I've worn the "unadultered" juice a couple of times and it has three clear different stages. The opening: herbal-animalic-sweetish. The middle phase: spicy, floral, vanillish. Tha base: woody, musky, balmy. Skin always plays a relevant role in the evolution of a fragrance. I guess the unadultered juice reacts to skin perspiration just like most other perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    The vintage perfume users among us have sprayed thesmelves with anal secretions of civets, deer musk and whale vomit, so a little pee shouldn't be such a big deal. It's all in the mind, isn't it. A few years ago, own-pee-drinking was an esoteric medical fad in Germany (auto-immunization blabla), so, no, we're not the only weirdos out there...
    Wise words, T!