Code of Conduct

Default Learn from my mistake guys- DON'T DO THIS!!!

I can't believe I'm going to actually admit to having done this here...

1) GET A REAL FUNNEL. Don't try making one out of aluminum foil. Yes, you can do it, but sometimes said funnel will fail miserably.

2) Decant small amounts first.

3) if you must ignore the above, do this over a clean bowl or something.

So, I got a BEAUTIFUL crystal bottle to store my favorite perfume in, preferring splash bottles (I thought) Thing was, I was not getting the same silage/projection that I loved, so wasn't enjoying my perfume as much wearing it that way. I decided to put it back in the atomizer (easy enough to do because it's a screw on.)

Here's where things went awry. The funnel (it had worked perfectly the first time!) failed MISERABLY. I just dumped about $20 worth of my favorite perfume all over my kitchen table. I have a (very expensive) paper towel air freshener in my bathroom, almost 1/3 bottle of my favorite perfume is gone and I learned a valuable lesson...

Don't do what I did!!!

OK, now you all can feel free to laugh at me...

Needless to say, I'm never doing THAT again! *headdesk*

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Learn from my mistake guys- DON'T DO THIS!!!

Oh Kaelee that is terrible! You can get a perfume funnel online for less than $2 from Accessories for Fragrances. Use their webstore and not the eBay store. The webstore prices tend to be cheaper.
    Well at least your bathroom is smelling fabulous!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Oh Kaelee that is terrible! You can get a perfume funnel online for less than $2 from Accessories for Fragrances. Use their webstore and not the eBay store. The webstore prices tend to be cheaper.
    Well at least your bathroom is smelling fabulous!
    Yea, if I ever feel the need to decant something again, I'm definitely getting one of those. *lol*

I'm grateful it wasn't a discontinued or vintage or something I couldn't replace. I definitely will appreciate my perfume more now though.

Things happen.

If I may add, if you are transferring from a dab bottle, you can use a pipette, not a funnel (even cheaper at accessoriesforfrag). And of course use a different one for each perfume.

If using funnel, pay attention to the size of the funnel opening. Some of them are very tiny. If you pour a frag, it will easily fill the funnel and spill out before enough liquid exits from the bottom (These funnels are more for spraying into, not pouring)

cacio

Sorry for your misfortune but as you stated a valuable lesson was learned.

Sorry to hear about the accident - I can imagine how frustrating that must have bee, to say the least.

Anyone in the UK, France, Japan - or anywhere else that has Muji stores - not only do they sell great mini atomisers they also do a little decanting kit (or did last time I bought one) with funnels and pipettes. Perfect for transferring between bottles, journeys and gifts - I'm not on the sales team, honest.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm sure it was a heart breaking experience. Thank you for sharing with us. Wish you the very best.

Blog Entries

A sad lesson to learn!

I agree about using a pipette to decant from a splash bottle. Or a plastic syringe (no needle)-- Accessories for Fragrances has those, too, in different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If I may add, if you are transferring from a dab bottle, you can use a pipette, not a funnel (even cheaper at accessoriesforfrag). And of course use a different one for each perfume.
    cacio
    Simple drinking straws that you buy at the supermarket work pretty well, too. I have a box of the thinner ones, which I use to decant my SL bell jar fragrances into atomizers.

Dang, i should have thought of the drinking straw, i have a ton of them!

How does one use a drinking straw?

cacio

Insert straw in perfume, put finger over end of straw, insert straw into bottle you're decanting to, release finger from end of straw. Easy!! (Practice with water first so you don't spill!)

Thanks!

Still, pipettes are cheap too (though harder to find), so they sound like a good investment.

cacio

I've never spilled any juice using a funnel but I did, several months back almost lose an entire 50ml splash bottle of vintage Le 3me Homme. I made the mistake of picking it up off the shelf by the very top of the bottle. Well, the stopper, which I always make sure to secure very tightly, came loose and the bottle did a short free fall. Fortunately I was quick enough to catch it, but in the process I spilled a little on my hands and shirt. Thankfully I only lost a very small amount and avoided too much anger at my stupidity for picking the bottle up that way by telling myself that the amount I lost would have been about the same as if I had been using it consistently over the preceding few years. Very valuable lesson learned.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Basenotes Plus

Yes to the drinking straw method. Hope nobody tries to suck up the juice though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yes to the drinking straw method. Hope nobody tries to suck up the juice though, lol.
    Not the time to try a siphon. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    I've never spilled any juice using a funnel but I did, several months back almost lose an entire 50ml splash bottle of vintage Le 3me Homme. I made the mistake of picking it up off the shelf by the very top of the bottle. Well, the stopper, which I always make sure to secure very tightly, came loose and the bottle did a short free fall. Fortunately I was quick enough to catch it, but in the process I spilled a little on my hands and shirt. Thankfully I only lost a very small amount and avoided too much anger at my stupidity for picking the bottle up that way by telling myself that the amount I lost would have been about the same as if I had been using it consistently over the preceding few years. Very valuable lesson learned.
    That is so sad. Losing a vintage perfume is like losing memories. At least this one can be picked up - though at a price - now and again on the net.

On the bright side, my bathroom smells AMAZING!!!! Maybe one or two sprays on a paper towel or cotton isn't a bad idea to scent a room. 1 or 2 sprays, not half the bottle!

Improvised funnels are great when the fluids are cheap, like engine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Assiduosity View Post
    That is so sad. Losing a vintage perfume is like losing memories. At least this one can be picked up - though at a price - now and again on the net.
    Yes, it would have been s significant loss had the whole bottle hit the floor. This was a very valuable lesson in taking my time when reaching behind another bottle. Now I take the time to move bottles and then get a good grip on what I'm after.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci