Code of Conduct

Thread: "Cologne" smell

Default "Cologne" smell

Maybe it's my inexperienced nose, but do all cologne's have a 'cologne' smell (while ignoring the nuances of each material)?

Is it calone?

Default Re: "Cologne" smell

Unfortunately, three quarters of modern masculines contain heavy materials like calone (= brackish water) or woody ambers (rubbing alcohol) - so perhaps that's what you're picking. Luckily, there are still many perfumes that do not contain these materials.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Unfortunately, three quarters of modern masculines contain heavy materials like calone (= brackish water) or woody ambers (rubbing alcohol) - so perhaps that's what you're picking. Luckily, there are still many perfumes that do not contain these materials.

cacio
    So THAT'S what that smell is (and it smells about as much like the actual ocean as a hot dog does! To me at least.) It's unfortunate, when I smell that "fake ocean" smell that's all I can smell. It leads to a lot of colognes smelling the same to me (and not very good either.)

I think the cologne smell is mostly due to dihydromyrcenol (fresh cool citrus like lime with a floral clean herbal undertone) and Iso E Super (dry woody with ambergris and cedar tones).
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

It really depends on what you mean by cologne - traditionally a cologne is a short-lived fragrance dominated by citrus and neroli - and so anything fitting that description will have a similar vibe. If you mean something like Drakkar Noir then it's dihydromyrcenol you are smelling. If you mean like Issey Miyake Pour Home then it's calone.

Lots of fragrances (not just colognes) have Iso E Super and Hedione in them but both of these tend to morph into support of the other elements and only people especially sensitive to them usually notice they are present as such, unless very high amounts have been used such as the Iso E Super in Terre d'Hermes for example.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.