Code of Conduct

Default Some impressions from my visit to Nordstrom and NM yesterday (ADP, Creed, Jack Black)

I visited some new scents, and revisited some that I have not smelled in a little while.

ADP colonia intensa OUD: My first time smelling this bad boy...I must say it is quite nice! Not sure if it is bottle worthy yet, though...will think about it...depends how good Colonia Leather will be when my NM finally gets it. Would you say it's a safe purchase without testing? I love leathers. Also which ADP would you recommend for fresh daily wear? Colonia, Assoluta, Intensa, or Essenza?

Creed Royal Oud: Haven't smelled this one in a while...last time I tested it on my skin was beginning of winter time. I really enjoyed it yesterday! Absolutely thinking of picking up a bottle. It is certainly not a heavy fragrance, nor is it a heavy oud.

Tom Ford Oud Wood and Oud Fleur: Also fragrances I tested beginning of winter, but never pulled the trigger on. I just don't know what it is about Tom Ford...I get a very heavy, chemical vibe from there...they smell great, but almost too true to what their name is...I find they wear me out a bit after an hour...but still considering a purchase for some reason.

BUT what really caught me off guard, was how pleasant some of the Jack Black fragrances are. I only tested JB and Blue, and found them both very enjoyable. Planning on purchasing at least two from that line. Anyone own these? What are your thoughts on quality?

Please offer some of your thoughts on the fragrances mentioned, really considering making a few big purchases in the near future.

Already lining up a nice purchase for MDCI Invasion Barbare...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Some impressions from my visit to Nordstrom and NM yesterday (ADP, Creed, Jack Black)

Big fan of Royal Oud. Have quite a few samples to hold me before purchasing a bottle. Like you mentioned, it isn't a heavy oud at all.

Default Re: Some impressions from my visit to Nordstrom and NM yesterday (ADP, Creed, Jack Black)

As far as Jack Black goes, I was quite impressed with Black Mark. It is a red cedar dominant woody fragrance that reminds me of the smell of Christmas trees. (especially red cedar/spruce ones that my grandparents used to cut each year ). If you enjoy a true cedar smell, I'd definitely recommend sniffing Black Mark from Jack Black as well. Overall, I think this is an under the radar house with some nice, affordable fragrances.

I really enjoy Yann Vasnier's Jack Black Signature during spring time. They're great fragrances for a "cosmetic" line IMHO.

Already lining up a nice purchase for MDCI Invasion Barbare...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
    You will not regret it. It is a great fragrance indeed.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

When I first smelled AdP Intensa Oud I was also impressed. However, later that week I wore the sample the SA gave me and I ended up hating it. It is massively strong and smelled synthetic and nauseating. I tried to scrub it off at the office numerous times and could not get fully rid of it. Threw my sample away after that. I would not recommend, especially for a daily wear. Alternatively, I can highly recommend Colonia and Essenza, and also like Assoluta and, from the Blu line, Mirto de Panarea for fresh daily wear.

I really like Jack Black's facial cremes, which I can also recommend.

Love Royal Oud also from the ones the OP tried.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

I've been trying out the AdP line for a month or so now, and I can't find any that I think are full bottle worthy except Mandorlo di Sicilia. That one is unique and gourmand, whereas all the others sort of run together for me. Add to that a prominent soap note in the Colonia line, and I'm moving on to other houses.

I've not experienced any of Jack Black's fragrances, but the company's grooming products are all top notch, especially their Beard Lube. Plus, they're relatively affordable, made in America, and cruelty-free.

Thank you for your replies, all!

I totally changed my mind on the Jack Black fragrances...went and got samples, and actually was really disappointed! I also got some samples of Spice and Wood....now that is a beauty!!!!

Looking forward to sniffing ADP Colonia Leather! Not sure what to expect as I really don't like TF Tuscan Leather....

Quote Originally Posted by Dutronc View Post
    When I first smelled AdP Intensa Oud I was also impressed. However, later that week I wore the sample the SA gave me and I ended up hating it. It is massively strong and smelled synthetic and nauseating.
    It's no slouch, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
    Thank you for your replies, all!

I totally changed my mind on the Jack Black fragrances...went and got samples, and actually was really disappointed! I also got some samples of Spice and Wood....now that is a beauty!!!!

Looking forward to sniffing ADP Colonia Leather! Not sure what to expect as I really don't like TF Tuscan Leather....
    What happened with the Jack Black? I'm really curious to smell the JB eau de parfum. I like woody/earthy/citrus, so I'm really curious to see how JB smells. And since it's EDP...

How's the longevity for you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post
    What happened with the Jack Black? I'm really curious to smell the JB eau de parfum. I like woody/earthy/citrus, so I'm really curious to see how JB smells. And since it's EDP...

How's the longevity for you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Your name on here cracked me up! haha

Well, after testing out my sample of it, I decided to not purchase it. Just doesn't smell worth it for me, but it may work for you! Longevity is not bad, but I wouldn't say it is a strong parfum. It is a pretty average scent I think which is why I did not choose to purchase it. You should sniff it out!

Thanks for the impressions shared within the thread-starting post. From my limited experience, only truly familiar with the Colonia, Colnia Assoluta and the Blu Mediterraneo line from ADP and (as a personal, admittedly highly subjective opinion), either of these fragrances work well, appropriately as fresh, daily/signature/all-round, choices.

Essenza would make a good daily wear fragrance. TF Oud Wood is an awesome fragrance. Not sure I'd ever buy a big bottle because of the price, but my decants will do me just fine!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)