Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Oud Wood Or YSL M7

So i recently got a hold of some sample of Tom Ford Oud Wood, love it, thinking about getting a split or if I can't I will just go grab the 100ml from Sak or something, but as I was reading through the forum, I've seen a lot of people comparing this saying its like M7, some even say M7 is even more complex. I really like the dry down of Oud Wood and how long it last, will M7 give me something similar? I could get M7 right now on ebay or something instead of waiting for a split of Oud Wood or spent about $280 for 100ml. What do you all think? If I buy M7 will I be happy?

Default Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood Or YSL M7

I'd go with M7 without hesitation.

Really? Hows the longevity and projection of M7 though?

M7 is excellent, cheaper than Oud Wood, and I bet you'd like it. But there are differences in the style of oud. Oud Wood has most of the facets of oud, the woody part, the oily-mineral one, the band-aid, the sweet one. M7 is more woody and darker in feel, and, in a way, less striking than Oud Wood.

In general, if you have never explored western ouds, I think you should try to check others first. While oud wood is good, you may end up liking other ones better - so given the cost, it pays to wait. There are several threads on ouds here on BN. Examples range from the smooth By Kilian or Francis Kurkdjan, to the potent woody Montales, to the leathery musky Dior Leather oud.

cacio

i sampled both and prefer oud wood. m7 is more complex but i felt the notes in oud wood were more pleasant.

m7 projects really well. don't remember its longevity.

Like I said, I really like the dry down of Oud Wood, the sweet of it....

Oud Wood was a bit too sweet for me. It also didn't last very long. M7 was sweet, but more controlled...more complex. Projection and longevity were good. Overall, I liked both, but there was more going on with M7 and it was a LOT cheaper. I now own a bottle of M7 while Oud Wood landed on my No list.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Ok I guess I will have to blind buy the M7 then, if anything it will be a collectable item since they don't even make it anymore.

And also where is a trusted source to get this stuff? I see some on amazon and ebay, they're around 70-80 for a 50ml bottle, but I'm not sure its legit or not

Both are nice. M7 is probably better for the money.

yOU WILL BE HELLA HAPPY

I've tried both and they smell very similar to each other. My wife even had a hard time telling the two apart, and her sense of smell is better than mine.

In the end, I prefer Oud Wood. It's just much stronger than M7. I would say Oud Wood is like an EDP version of M7. IMO, having both in one's collection would be redundant.

Don't blind buy M7! Can you go smell it at your local shop that sells YSL? The new M7 Oud Absolu is close enough to give you a real idea of what it smells like, so you can make an informed selection.

For what it's worth, M7 and Oud Wood don't smell much alike at all to me. Cacio is right about the differences in style.

Since I bought Oud Wood (Thanks, Kron! ) I never wear M7.

For me, that over sweet cherry opening of M7 is an irritation that has to be 'lived through'.

Now I have both, my M7 has become redundant.

You do need to sample them side by side and make your own decision, though.

I have both, but I much prefer M7. I prefer every version of M7 over Oud Wood. Oud Wood is nice, but it is just too boring IMO.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Now I'm conflicted.... I can't get a sample of m7 to try it since they're hard to find, might have to hit up eBay or something....I do like the longevity of oud wood for sure, don't know how long m7 would last on me but i get a sold 8 hours with oud wood

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
    Now I'm conflicted.... I can't get a sample of m7 to try it since they're hard to find, might have to hit up eBay or something....I do like the longevity of oud wood for sure, don't know how long m7 would last on me but i get a sold 8 hours with oud wood
    I got my sample of M7 (pretty sure the reformulated version) from eBay. You shouldn't have a hard time finding it there. Glad I did too, saved me from spending $90 on a full bottle.

And yeah, as you mentioned, Oud Wood has great longevity and projection. IMO, much better than M7.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get a hold of some m7 sample then, I hate to blind but anything

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
    My vintage M7 projects very well (I only do 1/2 spray on each side of my neck) throughout its scent life and lasts 16+ hours on my skin.

I would suggest M7. It is brilliant and unique, and the prices go up every year. If you ever want it get it sooner rather than later. I sampled Oud Wood in San Francisco in September. To be honest I don't remember it well enough to comment fully on it becauuse I was samplng so many scents. But I do remember it being sort of sweet. I came back with a number of fragrances I can not get locally but there was not a single Tom Ford in the bunch. I believe his best two scents are the now defunct M7 and Black Orchid. You can always get Oud Wood but they will never make the original M7 again. Should be an easy choice to make...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

This reviewer's perspective offers a great comparison

youtube.com/watch?v=1qwYTKXlOok
    Last edited by Riley; 14th December 2012 at 01:15 AM.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, but the opening of M7 is where some get turned off as it has a sweet cherry medicinal smell. These two are also not the most versatile fragrances which could be a factor for some.

Thanks for the video, gonna try to get a hold of some sample first before I pick up m7

Is it just me or the 1st reformulation of M7 has more medicinal opening than the vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Is it just me or the 1st reformulation of M7 has more medicinal opening than the vintage?
    The only two I can compare is the all brown vs the brown sticker version. I get the medicinal cherry robitussin/band-aid smell in the all brown, but only the cherry in the brown sticker.

Dependent

I don't find these particularly similar.

I like Bond HSLE aka Harrods Oud better than Oud Wood -- similar basic oud accord but with green and musk added, and vetiver instead of wood.

M7 Oud Absolu is nice, but all those rooty accords (mandrake) and myrrh make it a different trip entirely. M7 has tons of sweet vanilla amber so that's a different vibe again.

Oud Wood is basically all of the boring framework of M7 doused in synthetic unisex florals and musks.... without any of the daring, bold character or enticingly sweet and fruity notes of M7.

Any incantation of M7 is much better than Oud Wood.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

M7 all the way. Wonderful dry down, lasts all day on my dry skin. Fantastic, especially if you can get your hands on the vintage bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

For me, that over sweet cherry opening of M7 is an irritation that has to be 'lived through'.

I can't help but agree with this post, because the same happened to me. I haven'y worn my M7 since I got Oud Wood some time ago. M7 seems like a sweeter spinoff (I'm aware it was released first) that has an opening that I don't care for all that much.

M7 without 2nd thoughts
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

i bought my sample of m7 from theperfumedcourt

Having sampled both I can say without hesitation M7.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Both are great but I do enjoy M7 a lot lately

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    In the end, I prefer Oud Wood. It's just much stronger than M7. I would say Oud Wood is like an EDP version of M7. IMO, having both in one's collection would be redundant.
    I have the opposite experience as far as which one is stronger. IMHO, Vintage M7 has better sillage and last until the next day, Oud Wood last about 3-4hrs for me and is much quieter, actually it's too soft, but still my favorite TFPB. When sprayed, for about the first 5 seconds they do smell similar, after that they go into different directions. Overall, if Oud Wood had at least 60% of the performance of M7, it would be in my small arsenal along with M7.

I just got M7 Oud Absolu (ie. the new one in the cube bottle) so I may do a side-by-side at some point. I have to say, I really didn't get on with vintage M7, but then I'm not so keen on woody-amber bases. I find Oud Wood really nice, but the longevity and sillage leave much to be desired, clocking in at around 6-7 hours for me. It is a very elegant take on oud though.

I have to keep my collection to a minimum because of spacial restrictions, so one of them will be leaving my collection at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

I agree that vintage M7 is very sweet and could get cloying. That's why I only do 1/2 (half) spray on each side of my neck; yet, it still projects very well and lasts all day and night on my skin.