Code of Conduct

Default Any Azzaro experts? Elixer Bois Precieux, Acteur, Pure Lavande questions...

OK. I'll be blunt. Azzaro is a house I've never paid any real attention to and I'm not sure why. Aside from a bottle of Pour Homme which I've had forever and rarely use, and a little 30ml bottle of Chrome my first-hand experience with their scents is extremely limited.

I recently ordered a bottle of Jetlag though, and was blown away. So I'm looking to change the nature of my relationship with Azzaro. In fact I'd rather like to get my hands on a few of their fragrances. Unfortunately a number of those I'm most interested in seem very unpopular and difficult to find reviews of. So if anyone can answer these questions I'd be very appreciative.

Firstly on the subject of Acteur. I've heard the recent reformulation is not very nice. The notes on this look sublime though and if I'm going to buy it I want to get the best version I can. Is there anything to look out for, any clues which give away the formulation? Or, indeed, is it even worth seeking out the older version?

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir Bois Precieux is another which looks very nice, and the bottle is just great. Unfortunately no reviews at all. Can anyone give me their impression of this scent?

Lastly Pure Lavande is another which looks fabulous. Unfortunately, being discontinued, the prices are incredibly steep. In fact I have not been able to find it for less than $150 dollars, and generally it's more like $200. I'm always wary of paying such prices for modern designer scents particularly when the original shelf price was much lower. Let me put it this way: yesterday I bought an 8.4 ounce bottle of Tuberose Indiana for roughly that price from Modnique (though sales like that only come up once in a blue moon, I also got New Harlem and was thinking about grabbing another 8.4 ounce Creed but alas it being the festive season I've gotta keep money aside for others, heh) I know it will meet my expectations at that price point: it's a huge (gorgeous) bottle that reeks of quality and class and the fragrance makes me giddy it's so damn good. Can anyone who has smelled Pure Lavande envision it having such an impression?

That's all. Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Any Azzaro experts? Elixer Bois Precieux, Acteur, Pure Lavande questions...

I have I believe almost every release of Azzaro fragrances in my collection and am a big fan of this house.

Default Re: Any Azzaro experts? Elixer Bois Precieux, Acteur, Pure Lavande questions...

That's great Hednic.

I hope to increase my knowledge in relation to this house, and get my hands on a good number of their scents.

What's your take on Pure Lavande and Pour Homme Elixir Bois Precieux?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Miket, the vintage version of Acteur is better and there is one slightly used bottle on the USA eBay for $25 right now. I do not know anything about Pour Homme Elixir Bois Precieux , but I used to own a bottle of Pure lavande and it was lovely! Great masculine lavender scent with good projection and sillage. However, I only paid $15 at a local retaler here in the states for it,so, I don't think it's worth a $250 asking price!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Thanks a bunch for the info, Southerns. I know that price must seem crazy to you, but when you have actual bricks and mortar retailers carrying discontinued stock the price is always much better. The problem is so many fragrances which are discontinued quickly, or from limited release never even make it to the shelves here. I mean I've been able to buy some things at perfume stores or chemists which were discontinued for a third or a quarter of what was being asked on Ebay. Sadly unless you want chrome or pour homme here actual retailers don't seem to offer much.

I will definately look into getting a vintage bottle of Acteur. As for Pure Lavande I may be able to swap for it someday, but unless I get very lucky and stumble across a bargain it will need to wait.

I do own Azzaro Elixir, not that fancy version you suggested though. Elixir itself though is a highly underrated scent. I got it from a swap with another BN'er. It's got a little of the original's DNA in it, but mostly has its own thing going on. To me, I get a hefty dose of rose blended with a lot of tonka, and some spices. I get a fruity accord, something along the lines of apple, pear, or some sort of berries. It's a very nice scent, unlike most I have tried.

Also, you are very fortunate to have gotten Jetlag, this scent is very hard to find now.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I enjoy some of Azzaro's creation. ApH, there is also a flanker very popular here in Brazil that is the l'Eau ApH, stripped from some of the heaviest notes from the original and a heavier citrus at the entrance.

Elixir Bois Precieux is a 2010 version that changes only the bottle, the juice is exactly the same as in the original Elixir.

I don't know about the new version of Acteur since mine is at least two years old.

Pure Lavander is a very smoked/powdery lavender, rather synthetic with good fix and projection. You may think it is a trip but the lavender note in here might be compared to the lavender found in Gris Clair from SL (but this one seems to be much less synthetic). I don't know if it is worthy to pay the price they're asking for it.

Pure Vetiver is a secret pleasure I have. It is also very synthetic, but gives me a very good mood, green and fresh, with very good projection and lasting.

Pure Cedrat, on the other hand, is a nothing special lemony water

Have you tried Visit ph? It's a peppery incense frag, very good for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Firstly on the subject of Acteur. I've heard the recent reformulation is not very nice. The notes on this look sublime though and if I'm going to buy it I want to get the best version I can. Is there anything to look out for, any clues which give away the formulation? Or, indeed, is it even worth seeking out the older version?
    I didn't like the Acteur at all and am giving away my 5 ml miniature bottle in the Giveaway thread. It's the vintage formulation that supposed to be the best Acteur.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I do own Azzaro Elixir, not that fancy version you suggested though. Elixir itself though is a highly underrated scent. I got it from a swap with another BN'er. It's got a little of the original's DNA in it, but mostly has its own thing going on. To me, I get a hefty dose of rose blended with a lot of tonka, and some spices. I get a fruity accord, something along the lines of apple, pear, or some sort of berries. It's a very nice scent, unlike most I have tried.
    I've heard many people say it's simmilar to Xeryus Rouge which, unless it's a much earlier formulation, I can hardly handle anymore, but the notes seem quite different. Rose, Tonka and Spices sounds great though.

Also, you are very fortunate to have gotten Jetlag, this scent is very hard to find now.
    If you're interested I can show you where I got it as it wasn't the last. I'm actually thinking about getting Aqua as well. The reviews make it seem interesting.

I enjoy some of Azzaro's creation. ApH, there is also a flanker very popular here in Brazil that is the l'Eau ApH, stripped from some of the heaviest notes from the original and a heavier citrus at the entrance.
    I'd probably enjoy that more than the normal Pour Homme. Not because I dislike Pour Homme, but when I want to put on something strong, masculine and a little older I have a lot of favourites in that style which, given my preferences, means APH can't really compete.

Elixir Bois Precieux is a 2010 version that changes only the bottle, the juice is exactly the same as in the original Elixir.
    If so that's a good thing since for me the bottle is the real draw, and Elixer seems very interesting. Plus there's a lot of feedback available.

Pure Vetiver is a secret pleasure I have. It is also very synthetic, but gives me a very good mood, green and fresh, with very good projection and lasting.
    That's great. Pure Vetiver is one I can find at the normal shelf price.

Have you tried Visit ph? It's a peppery incense frag, very good for summer.
    I haven't, but I'll check it out.

I didn't like the Acteur at all and am giving away my 5 ml miniature bottle in the Giveaway thread. It's the vintage formulation that supposed to be the best Acteur
    That's cool. I might take a look.