Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Women's opinion: What the scent says about the man

Hi ladies. Just curious and wanted the female opinions only, what do you think these scents say about the man wearing it? Like if you just smelled (properly and not overly applied of course), what would your first impression / image of the guy be based on purely the scent? What do you think his personality would be like?

Would love to hear some honest opinions from the ladies. And yes, i know that it's the man that makes the scent, just be yourself, be confident, wear what you want, etc etc… I'm not looking for "the panty dropper" opinions here, just what you'd think of the person wearing the particular scents on a first /blind impression. Like what kind of personality would you assume from just the scent itself.

Here we go. If you've smelled any of these before please offer your opinion on what the scent says about the man. Thanks for your opinions!

YSL L'homme
    Chanel allure homme sport eau extreme
    Chanel allure home sport edition blanche
    Aqua di gio
    Bleu de Chanel
    Gendarme by Gendarme
    John Varvatos Artisan
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Creed MI
    JPG Le Male
    Curve Crush
    Axe Dark Temptation
    Escada Magnetism
    YSL M7
    Puredistance M
    MDCI Ambre topkapi
    Dior Homme Intense
    Creed Aventus
    Frapin 1270
    MFK amyris
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight in Paris
    Dior Bois D'argent
    Guerlain Bois D'Armenie
    Tom ford tobacco vanille
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    By Kilian Back to Black
    Terre D'Hermes
    Carbone de Balman

A bit of a long list i know. If you have any other scents that you've smelled and have a thought on what kind of first impression you got from just the scent on a man, it would be awesome to hear! =)

Default Re: Women's opinion: What the scent says about the man

Gosh, I am no help, I don't associate scents with personality traits. I pick mine out based on my mood. As for men's fragrances, there are scents I like just because they smell good and scents I like because I associate them with men I like and scents I dislike because I associate them with men I dislike. I'm one who believes the man makes the scent.

Honestly?

Aqua Di Gio: He smelled it on 12 of his other friends and thought wearing perfume was as easy as buying what everyone else wears (which is how 11 of those 12 friends picked AdG in the first place). Especially if one of his friends said it was a 'panty dropper' and oh. One of them definitely did. The more grownup version of this phenomenon is fast becoming Terre d'Hermes. I smell this stuff everywhere. You guys went nuts for this stuff! I guess I can't blame you, the parfum is good.

Tobacco Vanille, Back to Black: "Oh, he smells good."

Gucci 2: "Oh, he smells like my ex-boyfriend. Jerk! Smells so good. Jerk!"

Bois D'Argent: "Huh, he's wearing Bois D'Argent." Same for Dior Homme Intense.

1 Mil: "What is that? Is that Angel? That's not Angel...Augh, it's so strong! I can smell you across this entire bar, dude! Go easy!"

M7: What can I say, M7 will always and forever just smell good. Good and unfussy. I would be happy if every man I loved wore this. Effortless class is hard to find.

I can't do anymore, sorry!

Basenotes Plus

Awesome =) that's exactly the kind of honest feedback /female perspective I was hoping to hear! I think you're right on the dot on that AdG and Terre D'Hermes, haha. Keep em coming~!

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Gosh, I am no help, I don't associate scents with personality traits. I pick mine out based on my mood. As for men's fragrances, there are scents I like just because they smell good and scents I like because I associate them with men I like and scents I dislike because I associate them with men I dislike. I'm one who believes the man makes the scent.
    This. (plus I also dislike some scents because I don't like the way they smell )
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I can't have an impression of someone based purely on the scent. It's just not possible. A first impression is based on so many things: the way you look, the tone of your voice, the things you say, and yes, how you smell.

For me, you could look drop-dead gorgeous, be dressed to the nines, and be wearing my favorite fragrance, but if you open your mouth and say something ugly, you'll just be ugly - end of story.

Also, women are different (big surprise, I know). I'd disagree with much of what latelittlesleeper said above, just because I don't have the same impressions of the same fragrances that she does, except for M7. But even if you were wearing something I like, what does that mean? You have good taste? Maybe. Or maybe it means that your mom/sister/last girlfriend has good taste. How do I know?

Also, in my own experience fragrances can smell different enough on different people that I don't even recognize them - even ones that I like. So unless you roll up wearing a sign that says "Puredistance M," I might not even know what you're wearing. Of course, the more expensive and exclusive the fragrance, the less likely anyone is to recognize it. Even in an enthusiast community like Basenotes, I'd guess that relatively few people are familiar with Puredistance and MDCI. So it's hard to know in advance what a person's impression would be.

Wait, I've got three more:

Axe Dark Temptation: Is 14.
    John Varvatos Artisan: Got it from his girlfriend who got it at Sephora right before Christmas when she was checking out holiday nail polish colors and saw it on sale.
    Guerlain Bois D'Armenie: "He smells how *I* want to smell. How did he even get that? Where did he get it? Why can't I smell like that?"

And I would like to think it doesn't need to be said, but...since you're asking for opinions, these are mine and obviously subjective and hopefully cause no offense to anyone who love these scents. Also, everyone must know that first impressions are incredibly fleeting and don't really matter three seconds after a conversation is started. (Except if I started dating you, I might try to switch out your AdG with some vintage Egoiste or something.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    For me, you could look drop-dead gorgeous, be dressed to the nines, and be wearing my favorite fragrance, but if you open your mouth and say something ugly, you'll just be ugly - end of story.

Also, women are different (big surprise, I know).
    I just want to agree so full-heartedly with Kagey and these bolded quotes. I can joke around about my preferences, but if I'm serious, this is how I absolutely feel about your question. That 1.) There is no perfect perfume that's going to make the best impression on anyone. You're the sum of all parts and you might smell awesome but be a complete failure socially because you're a dick.

Also, 2.) it is consistently amazing to me how men often seem to think these is going to be some secret key to unlocking all women. NOPE. There is not! We're all different people! Please actually sit with that and consider it and believe it.
    Last edited by latelittlesleeper; 3rd January 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah i know it goes without saying that every woman is different in her views, and i know there's no secret key =P (although, as impossible and unrealistic as it is, it will remain a holy grail that many men will continue searching for). I mentioned early on in my original post that I get that, i agree with you gals and i'm a believer =)

I'm really actually more curious about the personality of each of the scents, and even though every woman (and pretty much everyone for that matter) has a different sense of smell, I'm curious about your thoughts. I think that each scent conveys a sort of a vibe / personality to it, just like say, a dress shirt or a cuff link, upon first impression you can get a vibe of what that person might be like. Obviously many times it can be totally wrong, it'll depend on the person wearing and how he's wearing, and also the time and place, and not to mention how every woman may have a different view, but i'm curious regardless =)

So yeah, subjectivity and opinions are completely welcome =) oh and latelittlesleeper I actually own bois d'armenie and I got a similar comment from my friend's sister, lol So you're right on the money =P

What I'd like to smell on a man: creed aventus and MI

What I'd like to steal from a man: tom ford TV and Guerlain Bois d'armenie

I'd judge the man on his own merits, not his scent.