Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Eau du Soir by Sisley- What's your impression?

I have read the reviews and would like some new impressions of Eau du Soir by Sisley. I know it is pricey, but I have nailed down a bottle at Goodwill.com that I might buy and their description is "lots of spice and musk" is all.?! Does anyone have or wear this frag?
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Default Re: Eau du Soir by Sisley- What's your impression?

My other half has a bottle of this, it's a very nice floral chypre. if I recall correctly I didn't find it spicy or musky I'm afraid. It's more floral/earthy/green and it's somewhat old fashioned but timeless in my opinion. my apologies I can't go into notes etc at the moment as it's been an age since I've smelled it.

If you want a floral chypre and can get it at a reasonable price then I'd say go for it. If that's not what your looking I'd suggest you try and smell it first. Who knows I may be completely wrong in recollection but I don't think this was all that spicy or musky.
    What I've Been Wearing:

My wife has a bottle of this also and enjoys it.

I feel it has been reformulated in recent years and lost some of its oomph. It is still a beautiful fragrance, but I prefer Soir de Lune, which stays true to its original incarnation.

As others were saying, it is neither spicy nor musky, but mossy. However, to my nose, it is a heavy, unpleasant moss. I smelled an old example and it was particularly so; the newer one slightly less so (and one can even smell some green and flowers), but it is still rough. It is one of Luca Turin's big dislikes (cheap green chypre).

But, as you've seen, many people like it, so it's probably some hypersensitivity. In any case, expect a mossy floral.

cacio

Ralph Lauren Safari amplified to the Nth degree. Once I had an Ode to Eau du Soir written as a Teaser. Back in 2006, perhaps?
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th December 2012 at 03:30 AM.

I own it. To be honest I would class it as a aldehydic floral, somewhat green. And no way it is musky or spicy. It is big and loud though, so light hand needed on the sprayer.
    DONNA

Eau de Soir is a classic astringent chypre with a dry citric opening and a big green mossy finish with a floral, Muguet and hyacinth middle.

I love it!

Spice and musk? No way Jose

Sorry, no spice and musk. This is a true chypre, it smells green, earthy and floral. Lots of moss and white florals, very big perfume. I love it. It has the same vibe as Aromatics Elixir. HTH

Itīs good but itīs overpriced!

I really like it, was thinking of getting it but the price is very high. I find this more of a green chypre than a floral chypre or spicey-musky fume. There are florals but IMHO they do not dominate. It is true that it is somewhat astringent and in my opinion great for the season. I would happily wear it.