Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggest me an accessible vetiver

Hi guys and girls! I've just read the thread about ELDO Fat Electrician and am curious. I am on a "green" quest lately and would like to get some suggestions for a vetiver prominent fragrance. Not that it's part of the genre, but I tested Quorum for the first time (!) the other day...and it was greenness deluxe - I can't think why I've never tried this price-friendly fragrance before!

But back to my question - I see vetiver as being "green" and would like to get some suggestions on a readily available vetiver scent. The ones I've seen here are Guerlain, Givenchy, Fat Electrician, Encre Noir, Sycomore and the Dior one. Also CDG Amazingreen is available here, but not sure if it's vetiver?

Which would be your pick out of the ones listed? As usual, "subtlety" is not in my fragrance vocabulary

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggest me an accessible vetiver

Sycomore is THE vetiver imo. But, I also find fresh vetiver fragrances to be more wearable. Like Mugler Cologne, Grey Vetiver, or Paul Smith Story. Bois Blonds is also a very good underrated one. So if versatility is important, these are great. As for accessible.. Sycomore if you can get it.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Lanvin Vetiver- affordable, casual, unpretentious yet elegant in a simple way, modern, easily tolerable

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

If subtlety is not an issue, then Encre Noir. I am not a big fan of this fragrance, but I am a big fan of Vetiver.

Of the ones you listed, my picks would be Sycamore, Dior and Guerlain.

One of the best for non-subtlety is LesNez Turtle Vetiver Front. You can order directly from them.

http://www.lesnez.com/shop/pi/en/TUR...-Exercise.html

I would try both Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire and Creed's Original Vetiver.

These are at opposite ends of "green". VE is rooty, making it a "darker" green. OV, because it utilizes the vetiver grass itself and not the roots is fresher. The end result is a "lighter" green.
    Last edited by ajmc; 8th December 2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Givenchy Vetiver

Guerlain Vetiver. It's cheap, accessible, and it's a masterpiece.

encre noir. look no further

I guess I should have paid more attention to the last two lines of the original post.

I would go with Fat Electrician.
    It's unique and being an EDP, I wouldn't call it subtle.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Why don't you try Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121671.html

It's fantastic, best vetiver i know.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

My holy grail vetiver is Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    +1 on this.

Also try Tom Ford Vetiver.

Both easy to find and enjoyable to wear.

I am partial to the Guerlain.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Encre Noire is definitely worth a try.

26126273.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies! Good grief...never expected so many replies in such a short space of time Will try the ones available here.

For now it's Guerlain and Lalique (my mistake with the spelling of Noire) Tom Ford is quite expensive here...the Black Orchid in my wardrobe will have to suffice for other needs

The more exclusive niche ones I'll have to source when the lottery money arrives

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might have started that thread about Fat Electrician, and I actually just received my full bottle yesterday and gave it a full wearing today! What a coincidence! Now that I got to experience more than just a sample I am even more in love with it. I LOVE the salty smokiness added to the idea of vetiver. Longevity and sillage out of the bottle are even better than the sample vial I was using. I applied two sprays to the chest under my t-shirt and one to my wrist this morning around 7 am and I am still getting these amazingly strong wafts of this scent even as I am typing now. I am a huge vetiver fan and here are my favorites in order:

Route du Vetyver by MPG
    Fat Electrician by ELDO
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    Vintage Givenchy Vetyver(would be # 1 if it lasted a lot longer)
    Vintage Guerlain Vetiver
    Sycomore by Chanel(dont care for the opening and the drydown is very similar to Encre Noire for almost 3 times the price!)

Im sure some of the Niche offerings are great, but I havent had the need to try them with this list!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can go far wrong with any vetiver fragrance IMO... from the ones I own or have tried. Vetiver is pretty accessible and versatile anyway. I have Encre Noire, Grey Vetiver Givenchy Vetyver and Eau Sauvage. All great in their own right.
    Last edited by LOST!; 9th December 2012 at 11:58 AM.
    LOST! in scent and music

Post Thanks / Like

Encre Noire is similar in style to Sycomore, and it's a good substitute, just a little more synthetic in the drydown.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

For the money, Guerlain Vetiver in the ribbed, frosted bottle. Then Encre Noire, then if price is no object, Creed OV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am partial to Guerlain vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver Extreme.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not a true fan of vetiver fragrances but I do have and actually like, a sample of Dior's Eau Sauvage Parfum. Also a colleague was wearing Guerlain Vetiver a couple of weeks back and it actually smelled pretty good to me. A refreshing, clean scent. I may have to look into this further.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon you are on the money already - Guerlain, Givenchy, Fat Electrician, Encre Noir, Sycomore - all great and sound like what you want! Route de Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver extraordinaire I would add to your list

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver is the "benchmark". Current formulation in the Habit Rouge (rectangular bottle) is very well-done. More linear, but a nice incorporation of citrus on top and spices in the heart with some light tonka bean in the dry down - and a very light tobacco note. Vetiver is the focus of the composition and very attractive. This goes back to the more linear (but wonderfully rich and significantly deeper formulation in the same bottle - gold cap and slightly different label) of their incredible Vetiver from the mid-to-late 90's. Considered by many to be THE "benchmark among benchmarks".

The ribbed bottle by Guerlain is the 2000 formulation and was around for an entire decade. It has more pronounced, fresh-squeezed citrus (bergamot and bright lemon) on top with coriander, black pepper, nutmeg in the heart showing more; along with a deeper and richer tobacco note and more tonka bean in the base. The vetiver is present the entire time, but the surrounding notes really effect the stages of development of the juice - it is not nearly as linear as the latest release.

Givenchy Vetyver is from their Les Parfums Mythiques line (from 2007) and is a wonderful recreation of the classic Eau de Vetyver from 1959. Truly wonderful - it is the "life of the root" captured in a bottle. Fresh, high-quality bergamot is the fresh pulled plant, still wet roots of green vetiver show brilliantly, vibrant green. Coriander spices the heart, giving an earthy quality and drying out the vetiver to a nutty accord. The base incorporates sandalwood - which is the dried woodiness of the root as it has squeezed of its essential oil. It is purity. Near perfection, but more minimalist. A true vetiver lover's scent, but a wonderful place to start the journey to understanding the magical root.

I could mention more - but recommend either current Guerlain (or 2000 in the ribbed bottle if you want something more expressive) or Givenchy Vetyver.

A lot of other great suggestions here, but get to know and understand how vetivers strike your palette before venturing further out - that is my advice.

I will say this, as I've told many people - once you open the door into the world of vetivers, your perspective of 'fragrance' and 'scent' will forever be changed. The glorious root will give you accords and nuances as notes in the composition harmonize with the deep green vein and backbone of each of these bottles...the vetiver, itself.

Enjoy and good luck.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

OP, you've received some good recommendations thus far. I'll recommend some others. Maliza Vetyver is a bright, grassy vetiver and is marvelous. As a bonus, it's quite inexpensive (<$20/50 ml).

Also, you should try L'Occitane Vetiver. I find it somewhat comparable to Tom Ford in that it has a nutmeg-prominent opening and is somewhat nutty smelling. It's certainly among the sweetest vetivers that I have tried, but it is very good.

Best wishes and have fun.
    Last edited by Grungevig; 9th December 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite vetiver is Sycomore. However, I find that Tom Ford Grey Vetiver has a more universal appeal and is better suited for daily wear.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the replies

Post Thanks / Like

No one else has suggested Comptoir Sud Pacifique's L'eau Du Gouverneur? It might be considered an oriental or fresh-spicey scent but Vetiver is the star player in its lineup. Comparisons to Guerlain's Vetiver Frozen and Extreme bear this out I believe.

To my mind it is unquestionably the best CSP fragrance. As a vetiver it's great to wear and very comfortable, while the superbly balanced spices ensure - in my experience - it draws very favorable reports from others, and in particular those who are not really into vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore ofc. And Vetiver Tonka from Hermes.

Post Thanks / Like

If "accessible" means low price, then I recommend L' Occitane Vetyver for a natural green scent vetiver. Also Vetiver Hombre by Aldolfo Dominguez for a spicy vetiver. Encre Noir is that dark inkwell vetiver that some people like so much and it's price is so very reasonable. All these three can be had for well under $50 from online suppliers, which is very accessible. Encre Noir is as good as any of the $100+ vetivers that are also dark and earthy. Of those more expensive and less accessible vetiver fragrances if you are feeling like splurging try: Turtle Vetiver Front by LesNez, Annick Goutal Vetiver and also Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    If Also Vetiver Hombre by Aldolfo Dominguez for a spicy vetiver.
    It's wonderful vetiver and very accessible. It smells so good that i nearly would like to drink it!
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore
    Mona di Orio's Vetyver
    Original Vetiver
    Encre Noire
    Vetiver Tonka

Post Thanks / Like

Hm, as said if accessible means low price then I still say L'eau Du Gouverneur is worth a look based on the fact that I picked a bottle up for $35 however other solid and more universally inexpensive Vetivers:

Carven Vetiver, which is really a great fragrance, can be had for a pittance. Royall Lyme's Vetiver lotion/cologne is a note for note rip-off of Guerlains (and a damn good one) that comes in very cheap. Lanvin's reformulated Vetyver can still be picked up for a pittance if you can find it on the shelf. CDG's Vetiver cologne is cheap for what you get even with its minimal sillage and longevity if you purchase the half-liter bottle (something like 10 dollars per 75mls) and Azzaro's Pure Vetiver can be found for very little money.

As mentioned Encre Noire is inexpensive too. Guerlain's Vetiver is about the same and Chopard's Noble Vetiver is just a touch more, but if you ask me I think it's the highest quality designer vetiver around, and the bottle is even nicer than Encre Noire's (and I love Encre Noire's bottle) while, for me at least, Givenchy would be a little more again.

If you're going to consider spending 100+ for a Vetiver though bear in mind the vintage Lanvin can be picked up if you look hard enough for 80-100. I paid 80 something and 15 shipping for my most recent bottle, and I covet it more than any niche Vetiver I've tried.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver without question. Great citrus infused top notes and obviously lovely Vetiver through-out. Plus it's an EDP so there's GREAT longevity and projection.

I think Vetiver Tonka is one of the most "accessible" vetivers and it's certainly true to its name. I also agree with the consensus about Guerlain Vetiver - I am one of the ones who much prefers the current release to the ribbed bottle because the vetiver is much more evident.

Have many of you tried Diptyque's Vetyverio? It as well should be listed among the accessible vetivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Lubin - Le Vetiver

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the answers above are plausible BUT what about a *really* accessible vetiver?
    Well, how accessible is a 5-7 euros (7-10 dollars in stores) fragrance?
    Here it is: the NEW Roccobarocco Vetiver.
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/PROFUMO-DONNA...#ht_2820wt_952
    I tried it and it's absolutely worth of. The old version in 100ml bottle was ugly, but this new (30 ml only) is really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    +1 on this.

Also try Tom Ford Vetiver.

Both easy to find and enjoyable to wear.

I am partial to the Guerlain.
    To me these are THE Vetivers...Encre Noire is too mud smelling

Post Thanks / Like

Encre Noire is too mud smelling
    I've found Vetivers in general and in particular those more heavy/darker with a greater vetiver presence (and it doesn't get much more heavy or Vetiver-packed than Encre Noire) can be very sensetive to the atmosphere and your skin. If I wear Encre Noire in very cool conditions, and most suggested it to me for winter, it smells like dirt and that's all. Not impressive really, but if the weather is a little warmer I get some beautiful facets.

Noble Vetiver by Chopard is apt to misbehave in the same fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy Vetyver doesn't misbehave at all, and can be bought for a very reasonable price

Post Thanks / Like

Mona Di Orio - Vtyver.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have and love the vintage Guerlain Vetiver. I've read some good things about the last two versions as well. I also really like Infusion de Vetiver by Prada. It doesn't get a lot of mention on here but it's quite good and not overly expensive for Prada.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Eau de Vtyver
    Le Jardin Retrouv

Formerly known as Inselaffe

Post Thanks / Like

I like Fragonard Vetyver a lot. Fresh and elegant, its agreeably provincial, masculine, and bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver de Puig. It's hard to find, but it is one of the best vetivers that I have used. (PC has samples as well)

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy, bar none.
    Snarky is as snarky does.