Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You people realize that real smells are infinitely better than fake ones, right?

Today I took the time to smell the twix bar I was eating. I actually put it up to my nose and smelled it like it was a fragrance, and it blew away any chocolate gourmand you can think of. A simple 99 cent twix bar.

Peel an orange and you'll get a citrus that destroys the best citrus frag.

Smell an actual flower and it'll blow away any flower centered frag.

Of course Creeds due to their superior quality and unparalleled attention to nuance come close, but even they can't beat the real thing. Forget about the other brands.

P.S. That's what people mean by "synthetic." It's not the chemicals you use; it's how close you get to the real thing.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: You people realize that real smells are infinitely better than fake ones, right?

and fake creeds smell worse than real ones. prob is many here got bogus creeds online and are whining that they have no strength/sillage or smell bad. still with legit vendors people!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: You people realize that real smells are infinitely better than fake ones, right?

Exactly.
    Last edited by Cerel9; 9th December 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to rub a twix bar all over your wrists and neck, be my guest. I'll continue to buy wonderful fragrances

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    Today I took the time to smell the twix bar I was eating. I actually put it up to my nose and smelled it like it was a fragrance, and it blew away any chocolate gourmand you can think of. A simple 99 cent twix bar.

Of course Creeds due to their superior quality and unparalleled attention to nuance come close, but even they can't beat the real thing. Forget about the other brands.

P.S. That's what people mean by "synthetic." It's not the chemicals you use; it's how close you get to the real thing.
    I have a feeling my 2 year old would agree with you. Half of his food goes straight up his nose.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    i have a feeling my 2 year old would agree with you. Half of his food goes straight up his nose.
    lol
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I am now in a stay-away-from-gourmand phase lately. They are my favorite frag genre but I find that they make me feel hunry and with all the xmas candy out there I want some non-gourmand scents to wear.

I do realize gourmands are best worn in winter...but anyway...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I have a feeling my 2 year old would agree with you. Half of his food goes straight up his nose.
    +1 internetz for you sir
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

That's the strangest Creed plug I've seen for a while

Those smells don't have sillage and/or longevity, and if they did they might become cloying quickly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with "real smells" is that I don't have blackcurrant, bergamot, apple, pineapple, rose, birch, jasmine, patchouli, musk, oak moss, ambergris, and vanilla laying around my dorm room. That makes up one "fake smell". I don't have the time or money to get quality ingredients and rub them on my body. And some "real smells" would probably suck to put on your skin anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    if you want to rub a twix bar all over your wrists and neck, be my guest. I'll continue to buy wonderful fragrances
    lol!

Makes sense. If you think about it, a twix bar is already layered for you and everything...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
    The problem with "real smells" is that I don't have blackcurrant, bergamot, apple, pineapple, rose, birch, jasmine, patchouli, musk, oak moss, ambergris, and vanilla laying around my dorm room. That makes up one "fake smell". I don't have the time or money to get quality ingredients and rub them on my body. And some "real smells" would probably suck to put on your skin anyway.
    let me guess.... Aventus?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th December 2012 at 04:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Makes sense. If you think about it, a twix bar is already layered for you and everything...
    Lol!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that finds it strange that the OP considers a Twix Bar natural?

Post Thanks / Like

I do appreciate the sentiment but agree with Awakening that a Twix Bar is about as fake as you can get.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this straight. Creed, the brand that is notorious for its inability to produce 2 batches that smell the same, is the one that comes closest to accurately reproducing real smells?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    This.

What's that Elena quote I keep seeing in someone's sig
    "For chocolate, nature uses eight hundred molecules. I use two"

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Even perfumes that are made from natural ingredients are probably not going to smell as authentic the plant they were derived from. But if it's the best that can be done with all our human ingenuity, then there's probably still some happiness in that.

Add to that the fact that many good perfumes aren't really supposed to smell like things we are familiar with, and that's the realm in which much of the magic of the perfumer's art takes place.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    I do appreciate the sentiment but agree with Awakening that a Twix Bar is about as fake as you can get.
    My guess is, the OP has never read the ingredients on the Twix Bar packaging.

Did you honestly just compare a twix candy bar to real natural chocolate. If so, you are far off buddy.

Smell any flower? Most flowers are unappealing...There are only a few that smell nice but still cannot beat a floral based fragrance.

next.

What do you mean by YOU people?!
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it strange that the OP considers a Twix Bar natural?
    Ha! Very nice. Try to find all the ingredients of that candy bar to rub on your skin. No thanks.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Post Thanks / Like

Peel an orange and you'll get a citrus that destroys the best citrus frag. Smell an actual flower and it'll blow away any flower centered frag.
    +100%. Walking over the grass and smelling the trees and leaves on the breeze, or inhaling fresh ocean air, these are the best fragrances in the world to me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was I the only one who thought of GIT and then mental pictures of someone impersonating a dog doing that funny twisty rub on grass and moss?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not all perfumes are trying to imitate exactly the smell of "natural" things (or Twix bars). Just like not all painting is trying to be a photorealistic representation of the subject it portrays (especially since the invention of photography).

Also, we can appreciate smells that we don't necessarily want to wear as perfume. I love the smell of an orange peel, but don't want to wear it. Same with gasoline, pastry, libraries, ozone, and Twix bars.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight ... the OP likes the smell of cheap chocolate and is a fan of Creed.

Excellent thread.

I'm just off to start one ... I like the smell of bread & butter pudding and am quite fond of Chanel.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Fragrances are not always meant to smell of natural real things. Most are just meant to smell attractive enough to be worn and to make money for the fragrance houses. But hey, feel free to squeeze lemon juice or rub pineapple slices over your skin every time you wish to smell amazing.

About Creed coming close to smelling most natural... C'mon. Seriously?? Lay off the weed for a sec.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 9th December 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When the gardenias are in bloom, I pick one and put it in my shirt pocket. Scent of the day. Or two. Nothing more needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    +1.
    I was going to note that Twix is by far a "real" chocolate. OP did not read ingredients. Also agree that unless freshly microwaved and applied, not much projection. Also, virtually no longevtity.

Side note: all scents are real.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see the smell of a Twix bar replicated one day as an actual fragrance, chocolate, caramel and a crunchy dough could be interesting suggestions for a gourmand- preferably, an authentic, brand-name, rather than a fake one, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Twix just plain sucks, imo. Nice perfumes on the other hand are awesome.