Code of Conduct
    Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tzora by Anat Fritz Initial Impressions

I just sniffed this one for the first time from a Lucky Scent sample and it is a stunningly gorgeous, relatively subtle minimalist composition. It has one of the best implementations of Peruvian pepper I have sniffed to date, as it plays a very prominent starring role in the scent but meshes with the sparkling almost lemon-like bergamot and extremely natural smelling orange top notes just perfectly over a skillfully measured cedar and shimmering vetiver base. The entire scent is minimalism and restraint at its finest in the hands of a tremendous nose (Geza Schoen) doing some of their best work. Tzora is definitely one of the 3 best new release scents I have sniffed this year and this late 2012 release by the relatively obscure designer house of Anat Fritz has just jumped up to the top of my buy list to round out the year (edit: order now placed). Brilliant stuff for sure!

Notes (from LuckyScent): Cassis, clary, bergamot, Peruvian pepper, magnolia, osmanthus, jasmine, cedarwood, vetiver, patchouly, musk, moss
    Tzora.jpg
    Last edited by drseid; 10th December 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added picture
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Default Re: Tzora by Anat Fritz Initial Impressions

thank you for the info... Geza Schoen is one of my favorite perfumers. Hopefully my sample will arrive this week.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so intrigued by this one, D. Thanks for the heads up.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Also received this as an unsolicited sample with purchase from Luckyscent. Gave it to my daughter who seemed to like it.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Will try this at Scent Bar if they've got it.

treeman5823

How would you categorize Tzora? Looks like a chypre to me...(I have yet to smell it).

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    How would you categorize Tzora? Looks like a chypre to me...(I have yet to smell it).
    While it technically is indeed classified as a chypre based on its official note structure, I confess I do not get much moss, which is the key ingredient to that classification... I would say it is more a citrus/spicy/woody/earthy composition (with the citrus more of the sharp bergamot variety and the spice more of the Peruvian pepper variety). It occupies a similar space to scents like TdH, IMO, but while I never thought I would be saying this as I love TdH, I prefer Tzora, hence it's replacement of TdH in my Top 10.
    Last edited by drseid; 12th December 2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

treeman5823

Alright, so I went to the Scent Bar and tried Tzora out. First impression: very, very similar to Terre d Hermes. Altogether, if you like TdH, Tzora is an excellent alternative.

I am going to have to try this. Thanks for the heads-up on this one!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Geza Schoen is the King of duds. The only thing this nose had done to please my nose is 1872 by Clive Christian. I sampled Tzora, and all I have to say is boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just another attempt by Geza to try and pawn off bucket loads of Iso E on us, and call it a fragrance.

Someone said "safe and agreeable"? How artistic is that? Hell, I just want to smell good, and Tzora doesn't smell much at all, let alone good.
    Last edited by thebeck; 16th December 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparisons to Terre are frightening me...

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    You should be very frightened indeed... Of course, I consider those comparisons high praise. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

treeman5823

If you're not a fan of Terre's citrus-woody niche, AVOID. Tzora is, to me, high quality and, like its sibling, safe and agreeable.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    You should be very frightened indeed... Of course, I consider those comparisons high praise. ;-)
    YOu know I'm not a fan of Terre but I'll try to be as openminded as I can. I was so intrigued by this one. I'm carving a modern fragrance. On a side note, D, Have you tried Vetiver Incenso by Farmacia SS Annunziata? Give it a go if you'll have the chance.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

YOu know I'm not a fan of Terre but I'll try to be as openminded as I can. I was so intrigued by this one. I'm carving a modern fragrance. On a side note, D, Have you tried Vetiver Incenso by Farmacia SS Annunziata? Give it a go if you'll have the chance.
    Yes, I have a bad feeling you are going to be disappointed with this one, but you never know... As to Vetiver Incenso, I have not but will surely seek it out, thanks for the tip! That said, at 280 euros and similar to TdH I would have to really love it...
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting more interested. I really enjoy the Terre accord but haven't found one in the genre that is FBW other than Yardley Citrus & Wood, which has a strange top note I don't enjoy after all. In fact, I even wrote a post about it.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...quot-breakdown

Anyone care to get into the nitty gritty of how Tzora and TdH really compare?

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Anyone care to get into the nitty gritty of how Tzora and TdH really compare?
    Sure. I smelled Tzora for abut 15 minutes. I can tell you that it smells like a rounder, slightly higher quality Terre. Instead of that massive cedar blast Terre offers, however, Tzora has a smooth pepper note. And Tzora is probably a bit less sweet, as it doesn't have--at least to my nose--as much Iso E as its sibling (but then again, Tzora was composed by Geza Schoen [Molecule 01] so I could be wrong).

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have a bad feeling you are going to be disappointed with this one, but you never know... As to Vetiver Incenso, I have not but will surely seek it out, thanks for the tip! That said, at 280 euros and similar to TdH I would have to really love it...
    I'm not very fond of Vetiver Incenso but 280 is for the 250ml. They've now launched a 50ml edition which is subtantially cheaper.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure. I smelled Tzora for abut 15 minutes. I can tell you that it smells like a rounder, slightly higher quality Terre. Instead of that massive cedar blast Terre offers, however, Tzora has a smooth pepper note. And Tzora is probably a bit less sweet, as it doesn't have--at least to my nose--as much Iso E as its sibling (but then again, Tzora was composed by Geza Schoen [Molecule 01] so I could be wrong).
    Cool, thank you so much treeman. Rounder yet less sweet sounds great.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not very fond of Vetiver Incenso but 280 is for the 250ml. They've now launched a 50ml edition which is subtantially cheaper.
    It looks like LuckyScent has not offered it as yet, even though they carry the house.

It looks like I had added it to my test list after reading your relatively recent negative review (knowing your dislike for Terre and my polar opposite opinion) but I must have forgot about it when I could not find Vetiver Incenso in the US yet. It looks like even the 50ml editions of their other scents sell for $160 on LuckyScent, so that is still pretty pricey for what may amount to a Terre clone based on your review (even for a Terre lover like myself). I still want to check it out once LS adds it to their stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Smooth Peruvian pepper mentioned by treeman5823 is definitely a key difference between the two, IMO as well. It is the dry-down where to two scents converge the most as the bergamot laced cedar takes the fore.

On a different level, I find Tzora much more under control than Terre. It is not the projection beast that Terre is (though longevity is excellent) and the transition between the earlier staring bergamot and Peruvian pepper tandem in the heart to then favoring the bergamot and cedar in the dry-down is very gradual, kind of sneaking up on you before you know it.

Those expecting Tzora to reinvent the wheel are certainly bound for disappointment as it is all about evolution rather than revolution. The way I see it, for folks that love Terre d'Hermes or love many aspects of it, Tzora takes a different angle on the same space Terre resides in, fine-tunes it and beats it at its own game (something that is difficult to do, IMO).
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like LuckyScent has not offered it as yet, even though they carry the house.

It looks like I had added it to my test list after reading your relatively recent negative review (knowing your dislike for Terre and my polar opposite opinion) but I must have forgot about it when I could not find Vetiver Incenso in the US yet. It looks like even the 50ml editions of their other scents sell for $160 on LuckyScent, so that is still pretty pricey for what may amount to a Terre clone based on your review (even for a Terre lover like myself). I still want to check it out once LS adds it to their stable.
    It's not EXACTLY a TdH clone but it definitely has a strong TdH vibe to which it pairs incense. Despite the hefty price tag, a sample is still well worthy.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I am getting a huge angelica accord in this. It's present from the very beginning and well into the drydown. The rest of the composition is indeed like Terre. But it's at least halfway to Bois d'Orage with that rooty intensity. I would not say this is a sibling at all.

While it does share some similarities with TdH, to my nose, I don't get the overwhelming citrus that I do in TdH. Tzora is way more woodsy, with a strong cedar note dominating.

I love TdH, and I can certainly see myself picking up a bottle of this in the near future - an excellent composition, and does not seem like it would be reduntant to Terre d'Hermes in my collection.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    6. Dior - Vetiver

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    While it does share some similarities with TdH, to my nose, I don't get the overwhelming citrus that I do in TdH. Tzora is way more woodsy, with a strong cedar note dominating.

I love TdH, and I can certainly see myself picking up a bottle of this in the near future - an excellent composition, and does not seem like it would be reduntant to Terre d'Hermes in my collection.
    Yes, while Tzora shares many similarities with Terre during the dry-down phase, it certainly is no clone and is different enough that both can (and I would argue should) be in one's collection. I should also mention that coming from the spray bottle once my full bottle arrived the subtle mossy undertone became much more perceptible early-on than when I originally sampled it by dabbing it on from a sample vial.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Yes, while Tzora shares many similarities with Terre during the dry-down phase, it certainly is no clone and is different enough that both can (and I would argue should) be in one's collection. I should also mention that coming from the spray bottle once my full bottle arrived the subtle mossy undertone became much more perceptible early-on than when I originally sampled it by dabbing it on from a sample vial.
    I am in agreement with you - this really is a very nice fragrance. I am a little suprised it hasn't received a little more attention thus far. Maybe in the near future it will begin to catch on. I will certainly be adding this to my "to buy" list!

By the way, very good reviews and analysis of this instant classic!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    6. Dior - Vetiver

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Terre de Hermes doesn't really smell like a chypre though - does Tzora? This one came highly recommended on a blog post I just read. I have yet to sample any scent from this line.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and love it personally. I would classify it as a chypre. Nice LIGHT citrus notes on top, mild earthy/spicy/iso-e middle w/ oakmoss/cedar/vetiver in the dry down. Also, if you like lavender, Anat Fritz Classical is a must.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Atlas Incense - ONLY 1 LEFT - On Sale! (cedar/sweet incense) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call it a chypre -- not much labdanum if any.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because there isn't any.

Not much labdanum if any.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Atlas Incense - ONLY 1 LEFT - On Sale! (cedar/sweet incense) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have both TdH and a decant of Tzora and i too find them to cast a similar vibe, but they both achieve it in VERY different ways. I find TdH to be derivative and synthetic (but not in a negative sense). TdH has a basic citrus/woods structure, however, it has an earthy/dirty twist since with the added mineral accord and syntheticness of the ceder-esque woods represented by the big dose of Iso E. All that combined makes TdH have a darker, grittier overall feel like there may be some vetiver or gravel in the mix. On the other hand, Tzora, while also primarily a citrus/woods combo, comes off much lighter, brighter, natural and pure than TdH. The citrus is brighter and less dirty/raunchy and the cedar has a very natural and realistic feel devoid of the earthy, grittyness of the Hermes. Tzora is cleaner, more puritanical and photorealistic as compared to TdH and feels fresher and lighter to wear without the screechyness of the Hermes. I appreciate the concept of the Hermes in that it is a darker, earthier take on it, but, in the end, i would choose Tzora every time.

Anyone want to swap?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    That's because there isn't any.
    Therefore, definitively not a chypre.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt, there's no amber, but a definite warmth to Tzora. I definitely get the citrus, oak moss, wood, warm florals and musk which typical chypres have. Not sure where I would classify this then.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    No doubt, there's no amber, but a definite warmth to Tzora. I definitely get the citrus, oak moss, wood, warm florals and musk which typical chypres have. Not sure where I would classify this then.
    It's an aromatic woody scent dominated by a cedar-angelica theme.

Post Thanks / Like

Aromatic Woody makes sense, for me it's all about the citrus and dry wood supported by the florals and dirtiness of vetiver and a light patch. Definitely a fragrance not to miss. I would recommend this one for people that aren't too fond the mineral facets in Terre. Love how it just lingers all day.

It's an aromatic woody scent dominated by a cedar-angelica theme.