Code of Conduct

Default Is there a way to find out how much you are projecting without asking?

I don't know if I have olfactory fatigue or just freakish skin, but I can't seem to detect more fragrances on my own skin past the first hour or so. I am thinking about applying more sprays (I am applying 4 right now) but I don't want to skunk people out and be known as the "cologne guy".

I recently went to a party with three sprays of Tobacco Vanille, which is supposed to be one of the most potent fragrances. I asked my brother who was sitting next to me in the car about how I was smelling, he told me that he can't smell it at all. The next day, I blasted myself with 6 sprays of Dior Homme (reformulated) and asked my brother again, same thing.

But other times, I believe I am clearly projecting even though I can't detect it. When I blasted myself with 4 sprays of 1 Million or A*Men and got on the elevator, the ladies in the elevator had to cover her nose even though I can barely detect them.

So is there some way for me to check for how much I am projecting without asking another person before I head out the door?

Default Re: Is there a way to find out how much you are projecting without asking?

It is really hard to smell oneself after a while. Applying away from the face can help avoid or postpone fatigue, but eventually it will set in. Dry skin will eat up frags much faster than oily skin, so if you have dry skin, they will last less on you. But clothes keep frags really well, so if you are unsure you can always spray your shirt or the like once or twice, and you'll be sure that'll stay for a while.

cacio

Default Re: Is there a way to find out how much you are projecting without asking?

I agree with cacio. I'll add that if you stick with frags that are pretty well known for longevity and projection, odds are you *will* be projecting even though you aren't aware of it. I know it's nice to be able to smell the scent yourself, but maybe some people are more prone to olfactory fatigue than others.
    I typically spray on each side of my neck, then once or twice to my chest, on shirt. And most of my frags, even I can still smell even after a few hours, so I know other people can. I think it is due to 2 things.. the fact that the scent will stay in fabric better than skin, and also the fact that I tend to use "powerhouse" frags.

"Why is that guy zigzagging closer and closer to us? Creep..."

I think I would just ask a friend to help you out on that one.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I understand you. I also suffer from the olfactory fatigue shortly after applying a fragrance and don't know whether I am projecting. I have dry skin so fragrances don't last as long as I would want for them to. Usually I spray on my clothing and that takes care of the problem. I also have a several co-workers who give me unsolicited compliments so I know that I am smelling good. It's just your nose. Don't worry about it.

Strictly in my case, when unfavorable comments were made about my excessive sillage/projections, I am warned/addressed/spoken to about this, in an unsolicited manner, but frankly, this is the only valid option strictly when... too much is too much.

Here's a tip: when you enter a room say: "what's that smell?" If you get a response saying "it was fine before you came in!", that would mean you are projecting too much.

Never been told by others that i have put too much of cologne but i can smell my self almost always. The projection sometimes has strong connection with the way the wind is blowing or if you are just sitting next to someone or passing near them so...

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Never been told by others that I have put too much of cologne but I can smell my self almost always.
    Same here.

Apply your frag well away from your nose, like maybe wrists and lower chest, for example (to minimize any possible anosmia). Then, go to a windy spot. The wind will give you an idea of your sillage. It doesn't matter whether you walk into the wind or with it. I first discovered this walking in a windy subway concourse after trying a spray at a department store.

I agree with applying fragrance well away from your nose, and I'd also suggest eliminating the wrists, especially if you're sitting at a keyboard or otherwise have your wrists at table height - when I have fragrance on my wrists I can smell it pretty much constantly. I apply to my stomach and the back of my neck; that lets me get wafts of fragrance as I move, but I can't constantly smell it, so I don't "burn out" to the point that I can't smell it.

Don't keep applying more. It's not as if you'll get in trouble because people _can't_ smell you.

Also, how will I know the radius of my projection?

I'm pretty sure i have sort of dry skin, it doesnt feel like cardboard though.

I've been disappointed in the past purchasing fragrances that are supposed to be longevity powerhouses and they last like 3 hours on me.

So i definitely have to spray my shirt. And obviously, you'll want to get the parfum version if available because those usually last longer.

Terre d'Hermes is about 4 hours on me. The parfum is way longer. But then again, they smell a bit different, so i layer them.

However there are some EDT's that truly are beasts on me, like the vintage D&G PH. Lasts forever!

Creed GIT, forget about it. $300 for a bottle, and i get like 2 hours lol.

So i guess you just need to find what you like, then see what lasts.

My fiance and friends are always complimenting/commenting on my fragrance of the day. And sometimes, if they're silent, i ask. I don't think its weird to ask.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I understand you. I also suffer from the olfactory fatigue shortly after applying a fragrance and don't know whether I am projecting. I have dry skin so fragrances don't last as long as I would want for them to. Usually I spray on my clothing and that takes care of the problem. I also have a several co-workers who give me unsolicited compliments so I know that I am smelling good. It's just your nose. Don't worry about it.
    Where abouts do you spray on your clothes? Have you considered getting your nose checked out by a doctor? (Something I'm considering due to my continuous olfactory fatigue)

GIT lasts about 8-10 hours on my skin, and is a projection beast for 4-5 before becoming a skin scent. It's a silent beast, but it's a definite beast. 3 sprays was too much at work.

Right now I am wearing Hanae Mori HM and I am getting whiffs of it consistently. I think one spray to the chest and one to each area between the ear (under) and jaw bone (behind) is sufficient.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If I remember a lesson from one of our own, mrclmind (many of us miss this BNer btw), try spraying the fragrance on your wrists and walk around for a bit. If you can still catch the occasional whiff that means your fragrance projection is approximately 'arms length'. But if you constantly smell it, chances are the projection extends beyond the reach of your arm. If you don't smell anything, try applying on the crook of your elbows instead to find out if projection extends no more than half an arm's length. But do remember the projection tends to taper off with evaporation over time and (if I'm not mistaken) drops in temperature gradient.

Another BNer suggested (iirc) we spray the fragrance on to a piece of fabric and leave it in a room. Leave the room to reset your olfactory sense and return to the room say 15-30 minutes later. Note the distance from the fabric when you first notice the scent. Results may vary with room temperature, ventilation and nature of the fragrance/fabric.

Try these techniques for yourself and report back. Personally I tend to rely more on my intuition.