Code of Conduct

Default Any Cinnamon /patchouli men's perfumes?

My local Billy Reid Store smells sooo good. I asked them what it was and they said they spray 2 room sprays. One is cinnamon and the other is patchouli. It is a manly smell. Any perfumes for men that have this vibe?

Yes, Costume National Homme.

Default Re: Any Cinnamon /patchouli men's perfumes?

Aramis 900 has a patch base and then not primarily cinnamon, but a mix of spices and resins that also includes cinnamon.

cacio

Ice men does the Patchouli really well.

Basenotes Plus

There is a thread going on about a 50% off sale on Solvohle EDT's. They have one called Massive Patchouli that you may want to look at.

http://www.soivohle.com/soivohle.eau.de.toilettes.html

if you add fruit to that you get:
    gucci guilty
    1 million

Basenotes Plus

Cinnamon and Patchouli - three ways:

Classic & refined, deep, elegant - Givenchy Gentleman
    Less expensive, splashed on with a macho vibe (perfect for casual wear - but serious scent) - Jovan Sex Appeal for Men
    Unreal powerhouse with amazing depth and force (yet gorgeous) - Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990)

A lot of scents out there one can grab and say - okay, both notes are here...but it is the surrounding composition.

I have and love all three of the above and none of them remind me of each other. Good luck in your search.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Aura For Men by Jacomo

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Cinnamon and Patchouli - three ways:

Classic & refined, deep, elegant - Givenchy Gentleman
    Less expensive, splashed on with a macho vibe (perfect for casual wear - but serious scent) - Jovan Sex Appeal for Men
    Unreal powerhouse with amazing depth and force (yet gorgeous) - Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990)

A lot of scents out there one can grab and say - okay, both notes are here...but it is the surrounding composition.

I have and love all three of the above and none of them remind me of each other. Good luck in your search.

Cheers.

ericrico
    + Givenchy Gentlemen - but with a superbly strange leather to it too.

Dependent

Good suggestions here! Cinnamon and patchouli are natural allies. Can't wait to try Costume National.

Notes:
    - Sex Appeal has big, powdery vanilla and lots of musk along with the spices and patchouli.
    - Balenciaga pH has a very animalic honey (not sweet) presence and some interesting dried fruit effect. (Normally I dislike such accords -- damascones -- but here it works and doesn't last super long.) Very interesting juice, like many experimental designer frags from this period.

Basenotes Plus

Hi MonkeyBars -

You will like Costume National Homme (EdP) - however, the patchouli is not very "forward". It creates an underlying herbaceous green note in the composition. It's all about the wood for me, and it is excellent - a fine creation by Ropion. Cinammon and cloves are more present as supporting notes. Great, naturalness to the scent...rather linear after 30-45 minutes. One could layer it with something else or wear it alone (depending on mood/setting/occasion). Brings back memories of fresh-cut hardwood from my father's woodworking shop...he was a true artist and Master at his trade.

Regarding Jovan Sex Appeal - I find a lot of warm amber in the composition, with perhaps some light vanilla...and a cupboard of baking spices with rich cloves along with the nice patchouli.
    Balenciaga Pour Homme - personally, and I respect your input, I find the "honey" to be an accord from the rich resins (styrax and benzoin) in conjunction with the amber, vanilla and heart note of caramel. This similar accord is found in other bottles by Balenciaga. Only here on Basenotes is 'Honey' listed as an actual note in the scent pyramid. I do agree that there is something totally unique and beguiling in Balenciaga Pour Homme. The cinnamon and patchouli are most definitely present, though...and I wanted to put forth a composition that is, as I stated, "unreal". I find it to be a masterpiece of olfactory art. Plus, a lot of 30ml bottles seem to be in circulation out on Ebay - seemingly from out-of-nowhere. I am not a seller, but a chance for so many to try this incredible fragrance in their lifetimes. Before, it was very rare and only large bottles (much more expensive blind-buy).

Thank you for your contributions. Looking forward to hearing from you once you try Costume National Homme - it is an experience and I find it has exceptional quality. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Good suggestions here! Cinnamon and patchouli are natural allies. Can't wait to try Costume National.

Notes:
    - Sex Appeal has big, powdery vanilla and lots of musk along with the spices and patchouli.
    - Balenciaga pH has a very animalic honey (not sweet) presence and some interesting dried fruit effect. (Normally I dislike such accords -- damascones -- but here it works and doesn't last super long.) Very interesting juice, like many experimental designer frags from this period.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Dependent

Thanks for your details eric.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    You will like Costume National Homme (EdP) - however, the patchouli is not very "forward". It creates an underlying herbaceous green note in the composition. It's all about the wood for me, and it is excellent - a fine creation by Ropion. Cinammon and cloves are more present as supporting notes. Great, naturalness to the scent...rather linear after 30-45 minutes. One could layer it with something else or wear it alone (depending on mood/setting/occasion). Brings back memories of fresh-cut hardwood from my father's woodworking shop...he was a true artist and Master at his trade.
    That sounds very likeable indeed.

Regarding Jovan Sex Appeal - I find a lot of warm amber in the composition, with perhaps some light vanilla...and a cupboard of baking spices with rich cloves along with the nice patchouli.
    I found that amber really quite powdery -- far too sweet for me to wear. For a bit I used it as a room spray, but the musk was just too much for that purpose. I traded it away but am left feeling it to be pleasant and a good value.

Balenciaga Pour Homme - personally, and I respect your input, I find the "honey" to be an accord from the rich resins (styrax and benzoin) in conjunction with the amber, vanilla and heart note of caramel. This similar accord is found in other bottles by Balenciaga. Only here on Basenotes is 'Honey' listed as an actual note in the scent pyramid. I do agree that there is something totally unique and beguiling in Balenciaga Pour Homme. The cinnamon and patchouli are most definitely present, though...and I wanted to put forth a composition that is, as I stated, "unreal". I find it to be a masterpiece of olfactory art. Plus, a lot of 30ml bottles seem to be in circulation out on Ebay - seemingly from out-of-nowhere. I am not a seller, but a chance for so many to try this incredible fragrance in their lifetimes. Before, it was very rare and only large bottles (much more expensive blind-buy).
    Hm, I get a real "warm beehive" accord from BpH, which reminds me of the honey accords in Ungaro I (also matched with patchouli -- killer!) and Giorgio for Men (despite the honey, unfortunately combined with a bit of birch tar). I'd like to note that despite the amber, vanilla, and caramel you mention, BpH is actually not a sweet fragrance to my nose. Imo it's for those who find YSL Opium pH too sweet.

Basenotes Plus

And, one more classic masterpiece that I must mention (as it is my SOTE as well) - Equipage by Hermes (Vintage).

Rich, fresh-ground cinnamon with a nice slightly earthy patchouli note in the base along with the clean (but woody) vetiver.

A timeless scent that is never 'dated'. From Fragrantica - as this really captures the essence of the magical composition: "Aromatic spicy and woody, its fragrance is an equal balance between strength and delicacy, the liveliness of herbs and the power of spices, on a base of smooth wood notes." Although it sounds rather generic, that description is well-presented and articulates the nuances of both the breadth and depth of what Equipage offers. However, unless you have tried Vintage Equipage, it just sounds like a marketing tagline. One of Guy Robert's best, ever...

Cheers.

ericrico

I second Costume National Homme. I would describe it as cinnamon/clove/patchouli, and the opening is perhaps brighter than you might expect, but the drydown is where you will find what you are looking for. It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of the post.

I would also add Diesel Zero Plus Masculine to the mix. It can be had for a song on eBay and you can occasionally find it at TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Ross for under $15.

And if you are feeling adventurous, order a bottle of Cinnamon Darkwood fragrance oil from saveonscents.com (ultra strength), blend it at 10%-15% in some perfumer's alcohol (also available at saveonscents) and see if this might not be exactly what you are looking for. Cinnamon/patchouli/woods/moss/smokey incense - I use it at 1% in my lampe berger to scent the room and it is insane - so good. I haven't yet tried it as a personal fragrance, some people have and really like it, but for $10 for the oil and alcohol, what do you have to lose? Your inspiration was born from a room fragrance anyway. And this really is a straight up cinnamon/patchouli fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting points.

I found Jovan Sex Appeal in Vintage splashed-on to show much better than as a sprayed application and current formulation is definitely more amber-laden, with the rich cloves and smoky patchouli turned down. Still wearable, but I prefer to layer it with Vintage juice. It has to have one of the best marketing on a box ever created - the stuff is a combination of headshop patchouli and a groovy aphrodisiac of a sex-scent. A lot of fun...regardless. ;-)

I have a tester bottle and the listed notes on the back (from Balenciaga) are:

As per the official scent pyramid (which I find, to my nose, to be correct - but missing a few key notes):

TOP: Ceylon Cinnamon; Italian Bergamot; Coriander; Thyme

MID: Patchouli; Sandalwood; Cypress; Cedar

BOTTOM: Yugoslavian Oakmoss; Vanilla Bourbon; Amber; Musk

So, with the amazing accords, overtones...I looked at the extended scent pyramid presented on Fragrantica - and found some very interesting notes that I could not overlook (as my nose identified them) and I am aware of the use of resins in Balenciaga's classic male fragrances that create that special "Balenciaga vibe" and incredible richness. Styrax, as well as benzoin, are common to this accord (often with rich amber in the base and spices in the top and/or heart) and used with incredible intelligence by this great house. You are not the only person to get the honey accord - it definitely is extremely rich, and very glad (and important you mentioned)...it is definitely not a sweet fragrance to me either. It is an epic Oriental 'Spicy' Woody, which I consider in the highest regard. A single spray from Balenciaga Pour Homme and, well...then you know.

Excellent contributions to this thread, MonkeyBars!

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Thanks for your details eric.

That sounds very likeable indeed.

I found that amber really quite powdery -- far too sweet for me to wear. For a bit I used it as a room spray, but the musk was just too much for that purpose. I traded it away but am left feeling it to be pleasant and a good value.

Hm, I get a real "warm beehive" accord from BpH, which reminds me of the honey accords in Ungaro I (also matched with patchouli -- killer!) and Giorgio for Men (despite the honey, unfortunately combined with a bit of birch tar). I'd like to note that despite the amber, vanilla, and caramel you mention, BpH is actually not a sweet fragrance to my nose. Imo it's for those who find YSL Opium pH too sweet.
    - - - Updated - - -

Nice contribution, LA2000!

Yes - Costume National Homme will reveal itself in the heart and drydown...great scent.

I agree with the heavy-handed use of cinnamon in Diesel Zero Plus Masculine, but the patchouli (while a listed note) is not quite as discernable as Diesel's Plus Plus Masculine (in the milk bottle carton and little white bottle - discontinued, but still available).

Both bottles are well-worth their price and I have owned both for years. Fun to wear and always compliments! Plus Plus Masculine's cinnamon note is more integrated and the patchouli is more notable. I would recommend both. If you want a pinch or dash more cinnamon, grab the Zero Plus - a bit less, with more wood and other notes...Plus Plus.

Very good stuff!

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    I second Costume National Homme. I would describe it as cinnamon/clove/patchouli, and the opening is perhaps brighter than you might expect, but the drydown is where you will find what you are looking for. It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of the post.

I would also add Diesel Zero Plus Masculine to the mix. It can be had for a song on eBay and you can occasionally find it at TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Ross for under $15.

And if you are feeling adventurous, order a bottle of Cinnamon Darkwood fragrance oil from saveonscents.com (ultra strength), blend it at 10%-15% in some perfumer's alcohol (also available at saveonscents) and see if this might not be exactly what you are looking for. Cinnamon/patchouli/woods/moss/smokey incense - I use it at 1% in my lampe berger to scent the room and it is insane - so good. I haven't yet tried it as a personal fragrance, some people have and really like it, but for $10 for the oil and alcohol, what do you have to lose? Your inspiration was born from a room fragrance anyway. And this really is a straight up cinnamon/patchouli fragrance.

I appreciate the cinnamon & patchouli vibes in both Aramis JHL and, especially, Bogart Witness.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

+ 1 Givenchy Gentlemen
    Ungaro III
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Ice men does the Patchouli really well.
    Agreed. No cinnamon though.

Original Santal.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee