Code of Conduct

Default Tabac Original EDC is actually really good!

While browsing around for some better warm-weather fragrances, I had the pleasure of smelling Tabac Original EDC by Maurer & Wirtz in perfumania. Because of who made it, the price tag ($18 for 10 ounces) and the retro imagery, I wasn't expecting much. I was blown away!

In the top notes, I was treated to an herbal, aldehydic neroli accord that was surprisingly perfectly executed. This is a beautiful example of the perfect sparkle aldehydes give to a composition without overwhelming it. What surprised me much, much more was the drydown. I wasn't expecting a drydown at all, much less a pretty natural smelling and good one! Its light florals and aldehydes lifted up an equally light woody oriental base to give the composition a classiness and a degree of weightlessness that isn't common in drug store fragrances. I didn't get any of the tasteless drug store fragrance notes - just light, warm, earthy, powdery oriental bliss.

The overall impression I got from it was a rather surprising one; "This," I thought, "smells like a masculine Eau de Cologne version of Chanel's No.5." This is all fine and good, but I needed to see how it would wear. Assuming it would fade in 20 minutes to a harsh synthetic musk and patchouli a la Jovan, I poured a modest amount into my hand and applied it like an Eau de Cologne. 5 Hours later, it was still gorgeous. I got several complements from people who never complement me. It never smelled cheap and there was no patchouli to be found anywhere! About 8 hours later, it had faded down into a few base ingredients - Vanilla, (real) oakmoss, and musk, which were divine and of a good quality. And through it all, never did it once smell cheap.

I think I've found a great new summer scent!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tabac Original EDC is actually really good!

The beauty of Tabac EDC very well articulated.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've read that it has quite negative connotations attached to it in Europe because of its popularity with the older crowd. I'm glad it is basically nonexistent here in the US. It's quite wonderful to behold for the first time. As much as I try not to let it affect my judgement, it is hard for me to analyze a fragrance that has strong memories attached to it, such as Angel and Escada PH. I therefor understand the predicament in which people are placed in Europe in regard to this fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Because of who made it, the price tag ($18 for 10 ounces) and the retro imagery, I wasn't expecting much. I was blown away!
    $1.80/an ounce - now that's a deal.

Tabac EDC is fantastic, worth 5x more the price.

Dependent

I couldn't get past the soapy ionones. Glad you're digging it! I love finding super cheap gems.

I bought the EDT version and it's strong, but good. Have to try the EDC, everyone seems to like it much better.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    I bought the EDT version and it's strong, but good. Have to try the EDC, everyone seems to like it much better.
    I wouldn't call it a version in this case, but a totally separate fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I wouldn't call it a version in this case, but a totally separate fragrance.
    Definitely. I don't like the EDT one bit.

I just picked up a jug of it myself.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

One of my favorites! I have enough Tabac stashed away to last me several years...
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I just picked up a jug of it myself.
    For the first time, or is this a habitual thing?

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    While browsing around for some better warm-weather fragrances, I had the pleasure of smelling Tabac Original EDC by Maurer & Wirtz in perfumania. Because of who made it, the price tag ($18 for 10 ounces) and the retro imagery, I wasn't expecting much. I was blown away!

In the top notes, I was treated to an herbal, aldehydic neroli accord that was surprisingly perfectly executed. This is a beautiful example of the perfect sparkle aldehydes give to a composition without overwhelming it. What surprised me much, much more was the drydown. I wasn't expecting a drydown at all, much less a pretty natural smelling and good one! Its light florals and aldehydes lifted up an equally light woody oriental base to give the composition a classiness and a degree of weightlessness that isn't common in drug store fragrances. I didn't get any of the tasteless drug store fragrance notes - just light, warm, earthy, powdery oriental bliss.

The overall impression I got from it was a rather surprising one; "This," I thought, "smells like a masculine Eau de Cologne version of Chanel's No.5." This is all fine and good, but I needed to see how it would wear. Assuming it would fade in 20 minutes to a harsh synthetic musk and patchouli a la Jovan, I poured a modest amount into my hand and applied it like an Eau de Cologne. 5 Hours later, it was still gorgeous. I got several complements from people who never complement me. It never smelled cheap and there was no patchouli to be found anywhere! About 8 hours later, it had faded down into a few base ingredients - Vanilla, (real) oakmoss, and musk, which were divine and of a good quality. And through it all, never did it once smell cheap.

I think I've found a great new summer scent!
    Brilliant review. I agree with every word.

I've been wearing Tabac Original EDC since 1973. If I were forced to pick just one fragrance out of my wardrobe and discard all of the others, I would choose Tabac Original EDC splash - it is fantastic juice!

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I've been wearing Tabac Original EDC since 1973. If I were forced to pick just one fragrance out of my wardrobe and discard all of the others, I would choose Tabac Original EDC splash - it is fantastic juice!
    That is some pretty intense love.

I got my big ol' 10.1oz bottle today and I'm loving it. It's so fun to have something that you can just apply willy-nilly!

Very smooth classic scent

I received my bottle yesterday (5oz 20usd shipped to Brazil, what a deal) and Im wearing it for the first time today.

Number 5 Pour Homme!!

Delicious white floral aldehydic fragrance with some soapiness and a very light tobacco and leather.

Its an Eau de Cologne in style but Eau de Parfum in strenght. F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

I have the EDC and enjoy it, though I don't reach for it often, but I'm curious as to whether anyone can elaborate on the differences between it and the EDT? I remember smelling the EDT a while back and being impressed. Maybe it's just me but I got a really ballsy, almost ashtray-like tobacco note that tickled me. I'd like to hear from someone with a more recent experience, and a more sophisticated nose though.

I've got a little mini of the EDT extreme and have gone through minis of the EDT. To me, it's relatively herbal as compared to the EDC, which I'd over-summarize as slightly floral. Both are good. I prefer the EDC.

I have a big 10.1oz bottle of the edc and would snatch up a similar sized / similarly priced bottle of the EDT in a heartbeat, if it was marketed.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Next time I make a trip to Mall of America, I will be sure to stop by Perfumania and snag a bottle. I have always wanted to pull the plug on this frag and this review did it for me. Thanks!

I just wrote up a blog post on vintage Royal Copenhagen Cologne. I haven't tried Tabac but others have said it is similar. At this price level, you are likely to get a frag with heavy notes (or "synthetic" ones) that not only lack dynamism but seem to inhibit it, as well as poor longevity. This may not bother a lot of people, but if you think you are someone who might not like this quality, keep that in mind. This stuff is not up to designer vintage standards, in terms of ingredient quality or construction, I'd guess (there are cost issues here too, so that the price tells you that it can't be on that level).

I mix both edc and edt, they are not cheap here, actually they are not worth 50 euros!
    "The Exodus is here... The Happy Ones are near..Let's get together before we get much older!"
    - Pete Townshend

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I just wrote up a blog post on vintage Royal Copenhagen Cologne. I haven't tried Tabac but others have said it is similar. At this price level, you are likely to get a frag with heavy notes (or "synthetic" ones) that not only lack dynamism but seem to inhibit it, as well as poor longevity. This may not bother a lot of people, but if you think you are someone who might not like this quality, keep that in mind. This stuff is not up to designer vintage standards, in terms of ingredient quality or construction, I'd guess (there are cost issues here too, so that the price tells you that it can't be on that level).
    Obviously longevity will be influenced by factors such as skin chemistry etc but I have no longevity issues with this fragrance, it is not a powerhouse one dab will be enough fragrance but I can apply this before work and still smell it on me at the end of the working day which for such an inexpensive fragrance is quite remarkable, I also find that regardless of price this fragrance just smells so so good

Yes - regardless of price it is very good stuff. Rich, complex, interesting, and of course, as classic as classic gets. The extremely attractive price point is a bonus on top of all that. If you're at all interested, there's no excuse for not trying this one. Highly recommended.

I wore it yesterday again for the second day in a row, and my girlfriend wore it to her dayjob too.
    We both LOVED this fragrance. She really likes Chanel n5 EDP that I gifted her some time ago, but it have longevity issues on her, no more than 5 hours, even with a lot of sprays (8 or more).

With Tabac we got more than 9 hours, which is amazing. Also tabac costs 30usd for 10oz, 10usd per 100ml, which means 12x cheaper than Chanel n5.

This fragrance could be considered very unisex, we both loved and she will wear it on a regular basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps:

I bought a second bottle, 300ml this time. I will gift my grandmother with this 150ml bottle. Her gift would be the Chanel n5 EDP, but this one lasts longer. I will update after christmas with ther thoughts on the fragrance.

I had a bottle of the EdC, and used it a few times. I thought it was kind of powdery, a bit too much for my tastes, but I know why people appreciate it; it's very "old school" but in a good way. The poster above me notes it can be considered unisex, and I'd agree with that.

Tabac makes other products that have almost the exact same smell. The shaving soap is excellent, recommended to those of you who shave with a brush. They also make shaving cream in a can (like most people use nowadays) but I haven't tried it and can't testify for its quality.

Yeah, despite all the love for this I just find it godawful, it's very old school (fine by me) and the ingredient quality is atrocious - as opposed to the equally cheap and Old School Alt-Innsbruck, which presents are very clean and natural tobacco-menthol note (my wife hates it anyway, of course ). Vintage! Old Spice is/was also way superior in terms of construction and qualoity, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, despite all the love for this I just find it godawful, it's very old school (fine by me) and the ingredient quality is atrocious - as opposed to the equally cheap and Old School Alt-Innsbruck, which presents are very clean and natural tobacco-menthol note (my wife hates it anyway, of course ). Vintage! Old Spice is/was also way superior in terms of construction and qualoity, IMO.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.