Code of Conduct

Default If i do not like Chergui by Serge Lutens, will i not like their other scents?

I wanted to sample a new house, SL, so i tried their top seller,chegui, but couldnt stand it. Should i continue to sample this house or do all of their scents have a similar vibe?

Default Re: If i do not like Chergui by Serge Lutens, will i not like their other scents?

Sample, but narrow down by the types of notes/scents you like rather than what's the top seller.

I'm a Lutens maniac, but don't care for Chergui ( there are better sweet tobaccos ) that much. But it's a world away from, say, Rose de Nuit, Bas de Soie, or Serge Noire, each which is in turn unrelated to the other. It's a big line and well worth exploring deeper.

Default Re: If i do not like Chergui by Serge Lutens, will i not like their other scents?

I find majority of SL scents are on the heavy side. If you cannot stand Chergui at the moment then I think you'll not enjoy majority of SL offering. With that said, looking at your wardrobe, I think you should give Gris Clair a try

I dont care for it either... Keep sampling! I cant think of a single house where I like tuem all. Chances are one will click. SL makes some amazing scents, you just have to find what you like.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

ok,whats a good SL scent to sample next??

I've never found the love for Chergui that others on basenotes have, but I enjoy many others, so I would suggest you sample further before giving up on him. I agree with jasonx that Gris Clair would be a good next one to try. It was my first SL purchase.

will look into gris clair, thx

Some do and some don't. Serge Lutens has a very large lineup, I'd say it's worth exploring even if you don't like Chergui.

I'm not very fond of Chergui but, at the same time, I find many Lutens to be among the best fragrances around. Yes, keep on exploring his line, you'll surely find something compelling.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm not very fond of Chergui but, at the same time, I find many Lutens to be among the best fragrances around. Yes, keep on exploring his line, you'll surely find something compelling.
    This +1 This house is a lot of fun, so hope you enjoy your adventure.

Keep going, you're bound to find something you like. I don't understand why Chergui gets all the love, there are many better scents from this house. I really like Ambre Sultan, Fille en Aiguilles, 5 O'clock au Gingambre, Jeux de Peau, Fumerie Turque, Iris Silver Mist, Chene, MKK, Cuir Mauresque, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    I wanted to sample a new house, SL, so i tried their top seller,chegui, but couldnt stand it. Should i continue to sample this house or do all of their scents have a similar vibe?
    Keep trying others.

The Lutens line contains a long list of classics.

If you have the chance, you owe it to your fragrance literacy to try all the ones you can.

It'll be fun, I promise, even if you end up not liking any of them.

Keep trying different ones.

Dependent

I don't like Chergui or really any others of Lutens' line. His dislike of green notes is the likely culprit.

What about it couldn't you stand? Getting a handle on that will probably be key to figuring out the scents you should push to the end of the sample line or avoid entirely. I agree with the other posters in the main though don't dismiss the entire range over Chergui. I'm not a big SL fan but I too disliked it. On the other hand I really dig Un Bois Vanille and Muscs Koublai Khan. Not saying you should try those, but I can't think of any house I'd dismiss because of one scent.

Usually in any given range, and (imho) especially in many niche ranges there's going to be a good mixture of things you like, love, dislike, loathe or are simply ambivilent about.

- - - Updated - - -

What about it couldn't you stand? Getting a handle on that will probably be key to figuring out the scents you should push to the end of the sample line or avoid entirely. I agree with the other posters in the main though don't dismiss the entire range over Chergui. I'm not a big SL fan but I too disliked it. On the other hand I really dig Un Bois Vanille and Muscs Koublai Khan. Not saying you should try those, but I can't think of any house I'd dismiss because of one scent.

Usually in any given range, and (imho) especially in many niche ranges there's going to be a good mixture of things you like, love, dislike, loathe or are simply ambivilent about.

I'm not a big fan of Chergui either, but I own and love La Myrrhe, Iris Silver Mist, Tubereuse Criminelle, Muscs Koublai Khan, Un Lys, and Borneo 1834.

It would help to know what kinds of scents and notes you do like.

As others have said, the line-up is long and very diverse. In the export collection, some that are very different from Chergui include Tubereuse Criminelle, Muscs Koublai Khan, A la nuit, and many others. And then there's the exclusive collection.

Monkeybars:
    agree on the scarcity of green-ness. But there are a few in the exclusive collection, like De Profundis or the Rose de nuit. And in the export line, fille en aguilles has a touch of pine.

cacio

so i tried their top seller,chegui, but couldnt stand it.
    Chergui is disgusting and smells like something a 73 year old woman with multiple plastic surgeries would wear. There are several other Lutens' fragrances that are stellar, however. Ambre Sultan is a standout IMO.

Lord, no - don't ever make that kind of assumption!

There are other good ones.

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that the Serge Lutens house makes their fragrances as beautiful pieces of art, but at times they can be hard to wear. I have Ambre Sultan, but I find I really have to be in the right mood to enjoy the fragrance. Otherwise its really gross on me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that the Serge Lutens house makes their fragrances as beautiful pieces of art, but at times they can be hard to wear. I have Ambre Sultan, but I find I really have to be in the right mood to enjoy the fragrance. Otherwise its really gross on me.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens are largely orientals. Perhaps you're more accustomed to the lighter scents? In which case try Bas de Soie, Douce Amere, Serge Noire which are not quite as dense as the likes of Chergui, Arabie, Ambre Sultan etc.

Dependent

Very strange. cacio's and my posts seem to have been deleted.

I wanted to indicate that I happen to be a person for whom it has not been worth it to try his line. Like you, Chergui was my first initiation, and I generally found it moderately representative. Naturally, everyone's different.

Moderators, care to chime in?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Very strange. cacio's and my posts seem to have been deleted.
    Duplicate threads with same thread title. Perhaps the mods can merge them.

I have and love Muscs Koublai Khan, Ambre Sultan, Santal de Mysore and Cedre. Love them all but reach for them only rarely. To be honest I reach for most of my collection rarely. Have a collection overdose. MKK is a stand out. It seems that Ambre Sultan is much better for me than Chergai. MKK is just brilliant... Took a couple of years gto find SdM at a reasonable price but that too is a favorite...but I can see why some would be put off by it.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Keep sampling. Lutens has some of the scents that I love the most, and some of the scents that I hate the most. Every single one of them is worth trying; they're that different from one another.

Edited to add: I am curious as to what you didn't like about Chergui? Was it too heavy and sticky in general, or was it something specific, like what I call the "musty house" note?

One more comment: If you try Serge Noire and think that you hate it, wait it out, letting it dry down on skin, for at least three hours. Its drydown is utterly different from its topnotes.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Duplicate threads with same thread title. Perhaps the mods can merge them.
    Good catch DF

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Edited to add: I am curious as to what you didn't like about Chergui? Was it too heavy and sticky in general, or was it something specific, like what I call the "musty house" note?
    Good description! That's just what turned me off. I get it from Creed's Bois du Portugal too. Sweet, dense, stuffy, musty woods. Blech

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Sample, but narrow down by the types of notes/scents you like rather than what's the top seller.
    I'm a Lutens maniac, but don't care for Chergui ......
    Same here. You can't judge the line by this one fragrance. There's many many gems in this line. Try and test them all if you can.
    Otherwise we might be able to suggest some if you explain what you enjoy.

i love nealy everything by SL to me one of the best houses ever!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I did not care for Chergui either and also found Ambre Sultan to be rather syrupy and suffocating. It kept me away from Lutens for quite some time. I have gone on to love Muscs Koublai Khan (also quite heavy, but in this case, it works for me), El Attarine, De Profundis, Iris Silver Mist, and Santal de Mysore. In reading this now, I'm also realizing that the Paris/NY exclusives also have more of the drier, angular compositions that I appreciate more.

And Chêne! How could I forget Chêne!? I think if Chergui turns you off, Chêne is a great place to start. It's a complex scent but the overwhelming impression of all the parts together is very hard wood (like a thick plank of oak) with some very subtle floral intricacies.

Banned

Hello, i hated
    A'la nuit, Cedre,they were terrible and un bois de vanille, was not special either, but nice smell...then i tested chergui, it was best from those but did not move me
    And then

La myrrhe! So so good,
    Sarrasins , perfection
    Iris silver mist, beauty
    And still waiting to try bois de violette, only there i started to appreciate this house:-)

I have tried 2 more but really did not have any special reaction to them

So i think that line is huge!! And can be found everything for everyone:-)

Chergui has suffered from reformulation, in addition to color changes. I had the first, which was light brown, and for me, dominant in sandalwood, projected and lasted better. The second was more green. When I finished my first, I bought 2 jars of the latest, which is purplish-brown and stains the stopper on the jar. The last is sweeter with more of the hay sugar note and a leather/tobacco note deep in the dry down, and is a softer more feminine scent IMHO. The last smells absolutely fabulous, on my wife. I think most of the hype came with the first form.
    As Birdboy48 stated, I think it's a good idea to sample all of them to broaden your fragrance literacy(I like that) because it is an excellent house.
    Some of the ones that I enjoy are Vetiver Oriental, Tubéreuse Criminelle, Chêne, and Boxeuses.
    Last edited by PEARL; 11th January 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Never tried Chergui, but as a whole I never liked the Serge Lutens sans Ambre Sultan and Daim Blond
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Keep sampling. Lutens has some of the scents that I love the most, and some of the scents that I hate the most. Every single one of them is worth trying; they're that different from one another.

One more comment: If you try Serge Noire and think that you hate it, wait it out, letting it dry down on skin, for at least three hours. Its drydown is utterly different from its topnotes.
    Well, to answer everyones question of what i dont like about it; its just too old woman smelling like someone else pointed out. I guess the drydowns not as bad, but still nothing i really enjoy wearing. It just doesnt do anything for me. As for what i like, thats hard to explain because my range varies! I love lots of different notes and combinations.some notes i love when mixed with other specific notes, other times that same note i may not enjoy as much if used with some other notes. But as far as individual notes go, theres none that i really dislike, besides cumin. save that for the kitchen!

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried my new Gris Clair sample and now i cant wait to try the rest of this house! Sooo much better! Wonderful scent. Amber Sultan is next.

Yes you should smell other perfumes from this house.

The others smell much different from Chergui and each other.

Its better if you define what genre or note you're interested in smelling.

for swap/sale:

I think Chergui is sweet and like able. There are some unique obscure ones in this house. Definitely on the different side

As i said in my duplicated thread (sorry about that), I recieved a sample of Gris Clair. MUCH better. Now im really anxious to try the rest out. Though it is almost too much in the drydown with its smoky sweetness. But definitely worth sniffing out. Ambre Sultan is next, followed by MKK

Every time I buy a SL frag I get a sample for another that I like and want to buy.
    I bought Chergui - received Gris Clair sample
    I bought Gris Clair - received Fille en Aiguilles sample
    ...next

Fille en Aiguilles smells to me very much like an evergreen. Very realistic and unique.

I can say that every Lutens scent I have tried was strong, with high quality ingredients.
    But they can tend to wear you rather than you wearing them... if you know what I mean.

there is no SL I can say I don't really like!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I can say that every Lutens scent I have tried was strong, with high quality ingredients.
    But they can tend to wear you rather than you wearing them... if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I felt like throwing up after a single spray.

Gris Clair was the only one that didn't
    The butterfly
    perfuming its wings
    fans the orchid

--Basho