Code of Conduct

Default Ys Uzac Immortal Beloved and HdP 1740

I only have a .7ml Luckyscent dabber to sample, so I am interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with both.

Lets consider the pyramids:

1. 1740:

• Top Notes
    • Bergamot, Davana sensualis
    • 
Middle Notes
    • Patchouli, Coriander, Cardamom
    • 
Base Notes
    • Cedar, Birch, Labdanum, Leather, Vanilla, Elemi, Immortelle

2. Immortal Beloved:

• Top Notes
    • Plum, Passion fruit, Lavender, Amber
    • 
Middle Notes
    • Black pepper, Rose
    • 
Base Notes
    • Immortelle, Labdanum, Opoponax, Animalic notes

The reason I traded away my bottle of 1740 is that it was far too powdery for my tastes. Immortal Beloved seems leaner, less powdery, and more animalic (castoreum). It is also more modest (doesn't have the punch of 1740) and less leathery.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this--
    Last edited by cosmopolit; 27th March 2014 at 07:34 AM.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Default Re: Is Ys Uzac Immortal Beloved an improved HdP 1740?

No, as there's nothing to improve when it comes to 1740, it's a masterpiece.

I can see the similarities but the plum note in Immortal Beloved is quite strong. Also it's a much sweeter fragrance than the HdP. I don't like either in any case due to immortelle aversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    No, as there's nothing to improve when it comes to 1740
    Agree. It stands on its own merits.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am not looking for testimonials from 1740 lovers, but specific comparisons from people who have sampled both.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cosmopolit; 27th March 2014 at 07:34 AM.

I owned both samples (I've only 1740 left, I gave the Uzac away some weeks ago but I took notes about it), and honestly I smell no similarities at all. Immortal beloved is a rich, round, somptuous floral boozy scent, much more sensual and unisex - while 1740 is a perfectly "manly" boozy-smoky tobacco scent, there's the patchouli and the dark stuff, it's more dry and more "straightforward".

(by the way I tried the new Uzac at Esxence Milan last weekend... superb!)
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Thanks for your observations, Colin--definitely agree that IB is more floral. And thanks for the heads-up on the new release--

This blog post from Grain de Musc also prompted me to think about the similarities and differences--

Immortal beloved (Ys-Uzac)
    The boozy spicy immortelle that anchors amber and dried fruit notes of Immortal Beloved brings to mind Sylvie Jourdet’s 1740 Marquis de Sade for Histoires de Parfums, though the latter is more of a leather and the former, more of a heated-skin scent in the drydown.

Default Re: Ys Uzac Immortal Beloved and HdP 1740

I tried the Ys uzac recently. Both have immortelle, but i think the effect is very different. 1740 is rich, plush, full of tobacco and amber. IB has a more upfront immortelle with all its curry connotations. And as others have said it gives a definite alcoholic impression, though to me it is more like a bitter herbal-fruity liquor than whiskey or the like. The top smells wonderful, though I need to smell the drydown better before deciding what to do.

cacio

I notice quite a lot of similarity in the two; the tobacco, immortelle, and a certain deep leather dominate both to my nose. I smell cognac in IB while 1740 leans a little more sweet, liqueur-like. I want to buy one of them - I was set to get 1740 on a buy last fall but found IB at the shop....quandry! - and at the moment I'm leaning toward IB because its tobacco is more prominent, a lovely plum note develops in the drydown, and is overall a drier wear. it is a bit more expensive though. both are very good masculines and I'd say 70% similar in overall character

I see it, they might feel similar, but to me one is dry, almost mineral and the other is fluffy and sweet in comparison, the base was put together to enhance the first few hours and simplifies in the drydown,

Ys Uzac have a great line though, somewhat modern and original with good constructions, which sadly, is rare.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.