Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default What is your Signature Scent?

What is the one fragrance that personifies who you are? That one scent that if you could only save one bottle, that would be the bottle you reach for? Is it possible to have only one signature scent? Or can you have a different signature scent for each season?

Default Re: What is your Signature Scent?

Don't have a signature scent per se. I enjoy all my fragrances.

Thumbs up Re: What is your Signature Scent?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    + 1
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Is it possible to have only one signature scent?
    Yes.

Or can you have a different signature scent for each season?
    No.

If it was up to my wife, I would wear nothing but Kouros.

But, as I have a bit of a say in things I reckon I have 4 or 5 absolute 'would never, ever be without' scents.

Aramis 900, Antaeus, Kouros, HdP 1740 and Encre Noir.

I second this. I don't wear the same clothes everyday, and I don't wear the same scent everyday.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Every bottle I own - variety is the spice of life. I have never had a signature scent or the desire for one.

Dior Homme Intense. I wear a lot of scents, but I find myself wearing this more than any other. I even regret not wearing it when I have something else on. But thats just me lol, to each its own.

Aventus and Dior Homme Intense for me.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Hermes Equipage comes closest to being a signature scent for me. Like everyone else, I wear a lot of different frags, but I like to think that Equipage best exemplifies what I think I am all about.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Every bottle I own - variety is the spice of life. I have never had a signature scent or the desire for one.
    Well said, and I agree completely.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I Wear My Scents To The Seasons Winter Spring Summer & Fall I Have Them Set To Casual,Work,Date or Clubbing For Each Season. Am I The Only One Who Does This?

I never had a signature scent until I discovered Silver Mountain Water by CREED. For the last year, if there was one fragrance I would choose above the rest, its SMW.

What is the one fragrance that personifies who you are?
    Not one, but Sables definately personifies how persistant and or obnoxious I can be. As obnoxious as ten sprays of Sables for someone who loathes immortelle.

That one scent that if you could only save one bottle, that would be the bottle you reach for?
    That would be vintage Je Reviens even though I don't wear it simply for the memories.

Traditionally I think this is what a signature scent is.

Or can you have a different signature scent for each season?
    I don't know any country where you would be arrested for it, so why not?

If one were to ask my friends about me and perfume and what I like they would undoubtedly mention vintage Worth Pour Homme, Givenchy Gentleman (although the older I get the more I reach for Monsieur Worth over this) and Sables. I guess these are as close to a signature as I have.

I have over 100 choices in the morning. How can I call anything a signature scent? Signature scent and favourite scent may not be the same thing.

Basenotes Plus

If you wear the same scent 99% of the time, which I guess is what you would define as a "signature scent" then this forum is probably not the best place for you. I love trying different frags and continually discovering new experiences to delight my nose.
    My worst nightmare would be having to wear the same fragrance every day for the rest of my life. However much I loved it...
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

-10 points for the beats lol

My all time favorite and signature scent has been the vintage D&G PH. These are the scents that my woman, family and friends know that if they smell it in the air, i must be near.

But i have many many more fragrances that i wear. My other currents faves are DH, DHI, t'dh, v'dh, oud by mfk...etc

If we're going by the amount of times I've worn it then Fahrenheit.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Couldn't ever just have one, but if I had to, I think the ones that would compete best as a signature for me would be GPH II, Creed SMW, Creed GIT, LIDGE, & TDH Parfum.

I don't have one. But, the only fragrance that I've been wearing more than once a week is my vintage...

The closest I have right now would be Mont Blanc Legend, but I reserve the right to change that on any given day
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Basenotes Plus

Kinski
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Guerlainista

Those look nearly full. Is this a recent decision?

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    If you wear the same scent 99% of the time, which I guess is what you would define as a "signature scent" then this forum is probably not the best place for you. I love trying different frags and continually discovering new experiences to delight my nose.
    My worst nightmare would be having to wear the same fragrance every day for the rest of my life. However much I loved it...
    Another example of the "if you have a signature scent you're not a real fragrance enthusiast" argument. This is nerd elitism - sectarianism, really - and I find it tiresome. Luca Turin said that he wore New York for a decade. Would you say that BN is not a good place for him?

If someone does choose to wear a single fragrance nearly all of the time, then good for them. I'd be happy to read their thoughts here as long as they have something worthwhile to say.

I have a signature scent. I don't wear it 99% of the time - that's not how I define having a signature scent. I love trying new perfumes, but I can see myself wearing a single one nearly all the time for periods.

If having a signature scent is your worst nightmare, then I would say you don't have a very active imagination.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Of course it is. But consider whom you're asking. The likelihood that you'll find a Basenoter with a single signature scent seems rather slim.

At present I don't have, but Azzaro Chrome used to be my signature scent sometime...

I joined Basenotes to find a signature scent, "me in a bottle". I found it a futile exercise. I'm too complex, with too many changes of mood. Hence, according to my wife, I have way too many bottles and still want more.

Now if you think signatures means scents that made you go "Wow I have to have that", that narrows things down to 8 that I have and about another 8 I want.

I could get it down to 1, a desert island frag, but I would be choosing something that worked well anytime, not my absolute favourite for whatever mood I'm in.

I too have far more something of a "signature rotation" (consisting mainly of my current wardrobe, not just the "own" but also the "test" department), rather than one specific signature scent.

TdH is the one I call my signature scent. But with me owning so many other scents now, I am using it less and less.

once Jules by dior..now Eau savage Extreme!

My feelings exactly. I do reach for some more than others, but can't call even the most worn anywhere near a signature.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Vetiver Tonksa Hermenessence is my signature scent, which I wear often, and especially in occasions where you want that to be your signature: with your partner, in special events, etc.
    However, I wear Acqua di Parma Colonia pretty much every other day...
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I can honestly say I don't have a signature scent. I can say that whenever I don't know what to wear or don't really feel like choosing I always seem to reach for Mugler Cologne.

I have a signature scent or two for Business meetings. I am an Engineer and my meetings rarely have females involved. So I go with the most masculine scent I own which for me is Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I am sure then are more masculine scents but this is what works best for me in a business setting.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i'm still deciding, as my sig constantly changes

Basenotes Member

DIOR DUNE

I really find this scent classy and timeless, I am constantly looking for similar scent but it's pretty unique.

To the extent that I have one, it would be Halston Z-14 (with oakmoss) with Heritage running a close second.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No signature scent. Just a signature wardrobe.

I wear everything, but I'd say the top 2 are Platinum Egoiste and Guerlain Vetiver.
    Lately Aventus has been my workhorse.

It's not really a signature scent, but if someone told me I had to wear one fragrance for 6 months straight, and nothing else, it would be a tie between Boss Bottled and DHS (2012). I would likely go with Bottled though

Like most of us, I rarely wear the same thing more than once a week. But here are the closest thing to my signatures, from what I can recall:

Swiss Army 1990-95
    D&G Pour Homme 1995-97
    Bulgari Blu 1997-2007
    Millesime Imperial 2007-09
    Green Irish Tweed 2009
    Terre d'Hermes 2010
    Concentre d'Orange Verte 2011
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino 2012
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I often wonder how many people in the fragrance understand what a signature scent is. So many name their favorite scent, but that's not what a signature is.

I bought Gucci Pour Homme II with the intention of making it my signature scent, but as my collection grew, I ended up wearing it only once a week, which is nowhere near enough for it to be a signature. For someone who isn't into sampling and collecting, GphII sure would make an excellent signature scent though.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I came to basenotes looking for my one, my signature... Two years later, lots of £££'s lighter, many bottles heavier - and still searching... I hope I never find it...! I'd never know any of the totally amazing and wonderful fragrances that I own, if I'd found my signature scent. Also, moods and tastes change and so what may have been adored last week may just be hated the next.
    LOST! in scent and music

I've found mine, it's Angeliques sous la Pluie. I think I've said this in a number of threads now... Well I love it because it suits me and I never get tired of it... it's so light - I think that's why. Surprisingly though, two sprays to the neck will last 12+ hours, and I get comments on it even though I can't notice it at all. It must have tenacious yet ghostly basenotes, due to the (in)famous molecule Iso E Super, which I love in small amounts.

Otherwise, I've been wearing French Lover a whole lot too, but it's based on Angeliques sous la Pluie, so it's kind of like an intense version, or flanker, of my signature scent.

That being said, my wardrobe is still ridiculously huge and I'm lucky to love everything in it. It only took years of sampling! lol

As for wearing a different scent each season, I think it's possible, as long as you really love the fragrance of the season and it doesn't wear down on you. For example, I love to wear Narciso Rodriguez for Him in the fall, but it's so musk-heavy that I can't wear it a few days in a row or else I get tired of it.

Sex Panther. 60% of the time it works every time.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Currently, vintage Paco Rabanne pour homme. Forsaking all others, until death do us part.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

My signature has to be one that is versatile, masculine, and slightly unique. I chose none other than John Varvatos

Basenotes Plus

Not sure why I have never thought about a signature scent. However, once I am not in a mood for anything in particular, I reach out for Mat Very Male.

Since I am somewhat new to all of the wonderful frags out there, I would say that Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver would be mine.

I don't have one, wouldn't want it either.

Prada Amber Pour Homme!!!!!!
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

I see fragrances as clothes - because that is what they are. So I like to have a "wardrobe" of fragrances. Each of them has its own personality and is suitable to a certain climate, or mood, or colours I wear. To me, having a signature scent would be like having just 1 suit, 1 shirt, 1 pair of shoes...
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Dior Homme for sure

Dior Homme Intense. Fahrenheit comes close too.

Basenotes Plus

Not that I have one, but hypothetically, on weekends it's Bogart Pour Homme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terre d'Hermes, if I had to pick one.

When in doubt, I go for the Allure Homme Sport. It is just heavy enough to operate in the winter, and fresh/citrusy enough to run wild in the summer! Not to mention it's one of the only scents that me and women both love!
    1) Chergui (Serge Lutens)
    2) Dior Homme Intense
    3) Aventus (Creed)
    4) Allure Homme Sport (Chanel)
    5) La Nuit De l'Homme (YSL)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I see fragrances as clothes - because that is what they are. So I like to have a "wardrobe" of fragrances. Each of them has its own personality and is suitable to a certain climate, or mood, or colours I wear. To me, having a signature scent would be like having just 1 suit, 1 shirt, 1 pair of shoes...
    This is exactly why I don't have a signature scent. I used to, before discovering this site (Ha!) but now, I have a wardrobe of scents and I choose what to wear the same way I choose what clothes to wear... based on weather, mood, activities planned, etc.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

My signature is Eternity Cologne for Men. Have used many for daily activities like BLV Cologne, Versace Signature, Bvlgari Black, Perry Ellis for Men, Pi (did not like it), Cool Water Cologne.

I don't think that I have one but to make sure I asked my wife if she thought I had a signature scent. Her reply was 'vanilla' so I am guessing that if I have anything like a signature it is one of my vanilla based fragrances, maybe Eau Des Baux or Tobacco Vanille