Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for shopping in NYC / NJ between December 26-31 ?

Hi,

I will be in New York / New Jersey for December 25-31. I was wondering if there were MUST GO places (or places to avoid) in that period. I am familiar with NYC but not NJ. Here’s my plan :

- Wed 26 : Riverside Sq Mall (Hackensack), Bergen Town Center (Paramus), Garden State Plaza (Paramus)
    - Thu 27 : Min NY (SoHo), Aedes, Bigelow, Jeffrey (Village), NLP (Chelsea), Perfume district
    - Fri 28 : Bergdorf, Henri Bendel, Saks
    - Sat 29 : Barneys, Madison boutiques
    - Sun 30 : - open to suggestions -

Are the 3 shopping malls in New Jersey worth the trip? Takashimaya is closed, right? I’ve already been to all the NY stores mentioned excepted Min.

Thanks for your help!
    Martin (Montreal)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: suggestions for shopping in NYC / NJ between December 26-31 ?

Bond #9, Creed Boutique. Not sure what you will see in the malls that you won't see in the city.

Blog Entries

For NJ, check out Short Hills Mall .... there's Nieman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Saks 5th, and other boutiques as well. The taxes will not be as high as in NYC.

So much to smell in NYC. You seem to have all the bases covered.

If I absolutely had to choose two, I'd put Bergdorf and Henri Bendel above the others (Bergdorf for the classics, HB for niche); note that Bergdorf has some stuff also in the male store on the other side of the street (eg some additional Amouages). Takashimaya on fifth is closed, but the brands it carried can be found spread in the other stores you mention (eg Histoires de Parfums has its flagship at Henri Bendel).

Saks feel almost redundant, since Bergdorf is better (for instance, Bergdorf has a full Guerlain boutique). Not to add more, since your nose will explode, there's also the Le Labo boutique in Soho (not far from Min), though they have a boutique also at Barney's, and the Chanel and Dior boutiques for the brand exclusives. (But the Chanel exclusives can also be found at Bergdorf).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Dior Privee can also now be found at Bergdorf's, although I was a bit dissapointed when I visited there last month, the SA's for that area were really not up to speed on the line.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    For NJ, check out Short Hills Mall .... there's Nieman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Saks 5th, and other boutiques as well. The taxes will not be as high as in NYC.
    Excellent!

Also, go to LAFCO in NYC & Bond No 9 flagship store. Le Labo is within walking distance. New London Pharmacy is also cool & has lines you won't find elsewhere.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thank you so much for these feedbacks!

Yes, Bendel and Bergdorf are no 1 on my list. I didn't know Bergdorf had Dior's exclusive line. I like Saks because they're pretty generous with samples =^). And I might be tempted by CC X this time (but I've been saying that for years...).

I checked for the Short Hills Mall, but it is pretty far West. My Marriott hotel is is South Teaneck, close to Bogota. I believe I can find the stores mentioned in the 3 malls along Highway 4, in Hackensack and Paramus (Saks, Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, ...). And I understand that one of them even has discount stores of them (Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off 5th Ave, ...).

Too bad Taka is closed...

Thanks!
    Martin

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody know if there is a place not to be missed for the Boxing Day? Or maybe perfume doesn't get much discounts on that day?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hermès is just across from Barneys.

I think people pretty much covered it, but one suggestion: do your homework and don't buy anything in New York that you could buy in New Jersey. It would just be silly to pay the 8.25% sales tax (which I assume would apply to perfume, and someone can correct me if not).

Otherwise, I'd say MiN NY on Crosby Street is definitely worth a visit.

And Americans don't do Boxing Day, but post-Christmas sales will be on.