Code of Conduct

Default Original youtube reviewers - pretty cool guys, fun to watch; new batch - nerds, awkward, dorks, weir

Does anyone else agree?

I want to watch youtube reviews, but sometimes I'll look at these loser oddballs and think, "why do you have a camera in front of you?"

There's a few cool new reviewers though.
    Last edited by Cerel9; 15th November 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Default Re: Original youtube reviewers - pretty cool guys, fun to watch; new batch - nerds, awkward, dorks,

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    I'll look at these loser oddballs nerds, awkward, dorks

If you live in a glass house ...
    Last edited by neal; 15th November 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Default Re: Original youtube reviewers - pretty cool guys, fun to watch; new batch - nerds, awkward, dorks,

Al from Street Scents, Brandon (Cutlass Supreme), Drac Doc, Coach Rob 619 are good for starters! These guys tell it like it is. And they also review inexpensive frags as well. There are a few others, but those were the first to come to mind. These guys can help you save a lot of money on wasted blind buys.

Does anyone else agree?

I want to watch youtube reviews, but sometimes I'll look at these loser oddballs and think, "why do you have a camera in front of you?"

Unless you have the balls to put videos out yourself, sit down.

There are good and bad ones from old and new.

i like bpwool and the FRAGRANCE BROS plus al the Don't rub it in man lol ..

I like a lot of the reviewers on Youtube. For the ones that I find boring/uninteresting, I just don't watch.

On a side note, glad Marc Robes is back. Curious to see what fragrances he's going to be reviewing.

The only one I'lll blind buy is Hiro. And sometimes the Canadian in Malaysia, I forget his name but much respect.

Basenotes Member

Bottom Note is also making awesome reviews, always a little different than the regular reviewers because he puts a lot of time in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    The only one I'lll blind buy is Hiro.
    Dude steered me in the right direction several times. He apparently is done though.

Ones I like:

Hiro
    Cubby
    Al from Street Scents
    Mickers
    Cyclexry (something like that)

Maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting. I enjoy the passion they display in the world of scent. When I see reviewers like this, it validates my fragrance craziness.

And let's keep it positive!

It does take a lot of guts to put up videos if yourself, and I think we should be encouraging these new reviewers. Everyone gets better with time. Even though they are cheesy sometimes, I employ watching guys like Al, the fragrance bros, and mickers because they are actually enthusiastic and don't drone on about notes that I could look up on fragrantica

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes, Betawiblood from Canada who now resides at Malaysia, is a fantastic YT reviewer in my opinion. There are a few others who I also appreciate. However, it appears today that just about everyone wants to be a fragrance reviewer on YT and do not possess the experience and nose to make proper reviews. I really appreciate their dedication and enthusiasm but to repeat what several other persons have already stated is a complete waste of time. Also, many of the reviewers have simply gone niche crazy and turned many of their subscribers off. I really don care for the hype that some reviewers tend to promote on certain fragrances. It becomes obvious after a while that they are receiving free bottles from certain distributers and thereafter hype the fragrance to death. Regardless, I still enjoy a handful of YT reviewers who really seem to know their stuff, Tom comes to mind.

See none of the ones listed above as good are the ones I'm talking about. Those are all retired folks from the prior batch of reviewers

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. These folks are pretty brave to put themselves up on video for the world to see and they may be just plain new at it.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

^ Exactly.

I agree with senore1 that reviewers seem to be focusing too much on obscure niche scents to have a big fanbase on YT. Not that many people have access to or are willing to shell out hundreds for a niche bottle.

Does anyone else agree?

I dont think any of us are cool enough to hang with you. Can you post links so we can all make fun of the loser dorks together like a bunch of douche bag assholes.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

this forum topic reminds me of the old saying about the pot calling the kettle black

If you don't like them, don't watch their reviews. I enjoyed pretty much all of the reviews I've seen. There may be the odd awkward moment at times but I enjoy these too. They're just people.

I'll bite.

I did reviews about a year ago, and decided to give it another go recently. My channel is garbage - and I'll fully admit I'm not the most eloquent public speaker. It's not exactly "natural" to sit down by yourself and have a conversation with a camera. Try it. It's pretty odd to do until you get comfortable with it. I certainly don't come off in any of my videos like I am in real life. I bet you'd look just as awkward.

But you know what? Who cares. This is hardly something worth taking seriously. I know there are certainly better things I can do with my spare time. This is a hobby for people - not the essence of their lives.

Making the jump to call someone a loser or nerd is a bit of a jump. It's not as if talking about perfume on an internet message board would be the epitome of coolness to the general public. I've spoken with just about all the reviewers out there, and they're all fantastic people. Perhaps you should avoid making generalizations about people's lives based on something as random as camera presence.

Sound Scents

While I have already gone on record that I am not really a fan of the YouTube reviews in general, I see no point in getting personal and calling people who are trying their best "oddball losers". Better to just not watch them if they are not to your taste.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I think that all reviewers offer great advice for their viewing audience, in terms of who they appeal to the most.

Cutlasssupremesl aka Brandon, I feel as though is a terrific reviewer because he does not care what people feel and he just says how he feels. A lot of my first bottles were because of his videos. Specifically D&G The One and Edition Blanche. He doesn't make as many videos, I guess he sorta loss the passion for it.

Fragrancefantic1 aka Al, is great. Though he doesn't do as many reviews I love his Street Scents because he gets the everyday common person (not a frag head) to give their take on a fragrance. He really and truly has a passion for fragrances and you can tell in his videos.

Toons1200 I enjoyed this guy though he is getting out of the game. Honesty and a disregard to what people feel about you goes a long way with me. The fact that despite all the frags he has his favorite is Midnight in Paris (my favorite as well), said a lot about him as a reviewer. I think people even commented on his video like Wow MiP favorite of all time are you serious.

FragranceBros are great and funny as hell, they keep me laughing on every video.

CoachRob619 is also great and I like the fact that he does cheapies.

Dracdoc is great as well, I like how he incorporates others opinions as well

Franchizzy is great. He has a laid back style, and seems like a real humble dude, his reviews are pretty accurate.

And Last of course is the Guru Robes08 aka Marc

I don't think much has to really be said about Marc and what he has done especially for the youtube fragrance community. I believe that his overseas trips for months on end, keeps him somewhat sane as it pertains to the fragrance game and reviewing without him getting burned out.

Nice starter list for the new guys out there.

My girlfriend watches makeup reviews, I think I just have a problem with the whole youtube review format...not for me. I'm not going to put someone down for it though.

I will say that I do like to watch tombarber21's reviews.

One other complaint -- a lot of the new reviewers are foreigners or new immigrants who speak english so poorly that you can't understand what they're saying.

Some fragrance reviews are wayy tooo looong. Has anyone noticed that? I don't think a review should ever really be more than 15 min.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

One other complaint -- a lot of the new reviewers are foreigners or new immigrants who speak english so poorly that you can't understand what they're saying.
    lighten up kid.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The only problem I have with YT reviewers is that every one today thinks that he/she has the ability to be a fragrance reviewer. It is not that simple. It takes time and requires skill to break a fragrance down and give a proper review. So many reviewers today are basically repeating what another one has already said. Their are a hand full of reviewers who are very good, but for the most part it is a waste of your time to listen to the others.

There will always be better and less good results, yet, since I keep enjoying to watch this reviews, almost any information expanding fragrance knowledge is good to me, almost irrespective of the form of the review and/or the reviewer.

I think the entire hobby of collecting fragrances is a bit odd, especially for a male. How many people do you know besides yourself (basenotes members excluded) that have a collection anywhere near 20 bottles? How many males have you ever heard talk about fragrances in a conversation that you personally heard? I bet you could survey hundreds of males and just ask them what a dry down or basenote is. I bet it would be less then 1% that knew what either one was.
    I came to the conclusion along time ago that you've got to be something in life. Whether that be odd, a nerd, dorky, confident, awkward, a success, a failure, or whatever the case may be. As long as your happy with yourself and your life then be who the hell you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Unless you have the balls to put videos out yourself, sit down.
    My sentiment exactly

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I think the entire hobby of collecting fragrances is a bit odd, especially for a male. How many people do you know besides yourself (basenotes members excluded) that have a collection anywhere near 20 bottles? How many males have you ever heard talk about fragrances in a conversation that you personally heard? I bet you could survey hundreds of males and just ask them what a dry down or basenote is. I bet it would be less then 1% that knew what either one was...
    I disagree. I think fragrance is more a manly thing than a female thing. I mean how many times is there an awesome fragrance put out for men and then they want to market to females so they make it less harsh and more sweet, ruining the original master piece for the women's "version". I love women, but women's fragrance is just kind of gross. Too sweet. Too floral. Too happy...

Maybe its like cooking. Many more women cook compared to men, but the best chefs in the world are men.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif33 View Post
    Some fragrance reviews are wayy tooo looong. Has anyone noticed that? I don't think a review should ever really be more than 15 min.
    I made a couple of video reviews of my perfume collection some time ago. After multiple takes, it just isn't that easy to pare down a review, especially if you are passionate to talk about a particular fragrance. And then sometimes you might talk a little about the shopping experience, recalling events when wearing the perfume, etc. I was able to pare down a review to 9 minutes after retakes. It does take a bit of assertiveness to be able to put one's face out on the internet; I took my videos down because I didn't want someone from work recognizing me on the interwebz.

I am glad Robes is back too. I don't wear the same fragrances he does, but he has convinced me to try new things out.

I disagree. I think fragrance is more a manly thing than a female thing. I mean how many times is there an awesome fragrance put out for men and then they want to market to females so they make it less harsh and more sweet, ruining the original master piece for the women's "version". I love women, but women's fragrance is just kind of gross. Too sweet. Too floral. Too happy...

Maybe its like cooking. Many more women cook compared to men, but the best chefs in the world are men.
    Of course all of the best chefs and all of the best perfumiers are men, but in "normal" society it is still seen as the opposite of manly to be into fragrances. Its like frags are some kind of makeup to most guys.
    Same thing with sports- It is seen as manly to know every detail of every football player while you sit there on the couch wheezing and drinking cheap beer. If you dont know anything the game but are able to run 6 miles a day you get no "man points".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I think the entire hobby of collecting fragrances is a bit odd, especially for a male. How many people do you know besides yourself (basenotes members excluded) that have a collection anywhere near 20 bottles? How many males have you ever heard talk about fragrances in a conversation that you personally heard? I bet you could survey hundreds of males and just ask them what a dry down or basenote is. I bet it would be less then 1% that knew what either one was.
    I came to the conclusion along time ago that you've got to be something in life. Whether that be odd, a nerd, dorky, confident, awkward, a success, a failure, or whatever the case may be. As long as your happy with yourself and your life then be who the hell you want to be.
    All true.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I think all are good in their own unique ways. Initially I use to watch Marc aka Robes08 but I find myself watching Mickers videos because his taste in fragrances is very similar to mine. The most hillarious, vulgar, lewd reviews come from Jersey guido Joey Canoli, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8M-lL_siAI

Marc (Robes) is great.

Hiro is funny. Don't agree with all of his opinions, but I love his analogies/descriptions...

Al seems like a pretty nice guy, and I like his style of doing things on the street.

Banned
    Blog Entries

In high school, these guys would be considered total nerds.

In real life, though, they're cool for pursuing what they're interested.

I decided to cancel all my subscriptions to bad reviewers (nerds, people who you can't understand . . .)

I guess I realized there's no need to subscribe to every single fragrance reviewer.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Hey, does anybody still remember Ash? He's a riot! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hey, does anybody still remember Ash? He's a riot! Lol.
    He still posts a review every now and then. Still butchers the names of fragrances and their notes.

Basenotes Member

This is why I stopped watching Marc (Robes08) videos, way too long. No way do I have the time to sit through a 20min review. Keeping it short and to the point is just as effective.