Code of Conduct

Default Virgin Island Water

I just bought a 4oz bottle of VIW from FragranceX for $129 using CABIN11 for an extra 11% off and free shipping...

My question is, Is there anything out there that is an exact replica to this?

My sample from the perfumed court was amazing I'm hoping for the same batch with my recent purchase.

If it turns out to be different, I want to find a backup of something very similar until I can locate the perfect batch.

This question has probably been asked a countless number of times but figured I'd ask again incase any new fragrances hit the market.

Thanks!

Default Re: Virgin Island Water

Theres a couple out there but the closest match for me would be Tommy Bahamas - St.Barts set Sail. Doesnt have the longevity of VIW but at 1/4 the cost can't complain.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I have heard that about Set Sail several times, but the quality for me just does not compare. There are some similar notes, but SS just is wayyy too sythentic smelling. It is ok at first but after an hour or so the drydown is just horrible. YMMV.

I do not think there is any cologne that smells like Virgin Island Water, though I'm sure many BNers will chime in with a substitute.

I have Set Sail St. Bart's, and the two are not, to my nose, in the same ballpark (not nearly as close, for example, as GIT and Cool Water, or MI and Unforgivable Multi Platinum).

Luca Turin says VIW smells like Bath and Body Works Cocoanut Lime Verbena soap, and I think there's a body spray in that line. I can't vouch for this, however, and Turin often exaggerates stuff like this for emphasis.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Nothing exactly like VIW that I have come across that I found worthy of taking its place.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanm View Post
    I have heard that about Set Sail several times, but the quality for me just does not compare. There are some similar notes, but SS just is wayyy too sythentic smelling. It is ok at first but after an hour or so the drydown is just horrible. YMMV.
    Yeah I would agree its more synthetic but kind of to be exected given the comparison you are making. I do however disagree about the drydown but each to their own. Anyway I remembered the other common one and thats Bond No.9 Fire Island could be an alternative as well but im sure your VIW will be fine.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I have tried both viw and st sail set Bart and let me tell you, even though viw is compared to this the most, viw is just so much better quality and it makes me crave another sample when I run out. If I were to run out of st sel set Bart sample, I woudnt care less for another sample. There is no replacing viw, sorry but that's the truth. You get what you pay for.

Nothing in my mind takes the place of VIW, it's great for what it does. Coney Island has the same vibe, and is very nice, but it's not the same at all. You might like Batucada...but I did not.

What about Aqua di Parma's Arancia di Capri?

Banned
    Blog Entries

is fragrancex legit?

- - - Updated - - -

because i heard a few horror stories about it

^ Yes!! What kind of horror stories have you heard?

Coco Lime Verbena smells the most similar, but there is a big difference in quality. Also check out L'artisan Batucada.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    is fragrancex legit?

- - - Updated - - -

Fragrance X and Fragrancenet are the 2 places I trust the most, no bad experiences whatsoever and they both ship so fast.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    is fragrancex legit?

- - - Updated - - -

If you going to purchase from them, go through Ebates. Right now, it is 7% cash back, plus using discount code CJD2012 is 10% off.

I buy from frangrancex.com all the time and have never had a problem.
    Current Top Five:

The bath and body works lime coconut smells nothing at all like VIW. I bought some a couple years ago to have body wash that smells similar.... But they smell nothing alike.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Nothing very close. If your fragranceX doesn't smell as nice as your decant from TPC, then just bite the bullet and get a fresh one from CreedBoutique - if you really love it...

However, it seems that a lot of people purchase Creed from these discounters and enjoy them, so I guess they are usually legit.

I would guess the Creed batch variance is far less than trying a completely different fragrance that may be similar.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

The fragrances that are similar to VIW will give you a tropical vibe and make you think of being on vacation. VIW transports you to a tropical island. Your setting on a beach were you can hear and smell the coconuts falling from the trees. You snap your fingers and a beautiful woman with a ylang ylang flower in her hair serves you a drink with malibu rum topped off with a lime. I have no problem writing a check for that vacation.

I get Sour Patch Kids soaked in Malibu Coconut Rum from Virgin Island Water haha it's so good!

I have very good luck with awesome batches of Creed's from online discounters so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    I get Sour Patch Kids soaked in Malibu Coconut Rum from Virgin Island Water haha it's so good!

I have very good luck with awesome batches of Creed's from online discounters so I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Heard that description of VIW from Brandon on YouTube. Yeah, it's really hard to pay full price when your can get a 4 oz bottle from a reputable online dealer for 50% or more off the retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Heard that description of VIW from Brandon on YouTube. Yeah, it's really hard to pay full price when your can get a 4 oz bottle from a reputable online dealer for 50% or more off the retail price.
    That's who I got that from, haha. He nailed that description.

Here is the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kLtneBrpzY

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post

Luca Turin says VIW smells like Bath and Body Works Cocoanut Lime Verbena soap, and I think there's a body spray in that line. I can't vouch for this, however, and Turin often exaggerates stuff like this for emphasis.
    I have the original Coconut Lime Verbena EDT and it is similar to VIW, but CLV is nowhere near as natural or fresh as VIW. VIW smells like actual coconuts whereas CLV smells like coconut scented suntan lotion. CLV is very nice and is probably the closest to smelling like VIW you can get for cheap. I like Set Sail St Barts more than CLV, but it's a different vibe than VIW.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Nothing comes close so far. The Tommy Bahama may be an exceptable substitute for some.

Use code "basenotes" on fragX for 15% off.
    Last edited by heperd; 11th August 2012 at 05:11 AM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

This is my second favorite behind Aventus for warm weather.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Anyone know where I can find a 2008 batch or earlier?

That's going to be tough. Why would you want to? I have a 2011 and it smells great.

I have had some success on Ebay buying vintage Millesime Imperial, but MI is so much more popular than VI I wouldn't view that as a good guide. Lots more bottles out there, lots more ending up years later on Ebay. VI, on the other hand, would be difficult to track down.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nothing exactly like VIW that I have come across that I found worthy of taking its place.
    I second this
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

That's going to be tough. Why would you want to? I have a 2011 and it smells great.

I have had some success on Ebay buying vintage Millesime Imperial, but MI is so much more popular than VI I wouldn't view that as a good guide. Lots more bottles out there, lots more ending up years later on Ebay. VI, on the other hand, would be difficult to track down.
    I know it's a pain, but if you get a moment would you be so kind to post that batch number?

I've had two or three bottles of VIW from different batches and I've found they're pretty consistent between batches.

Hillary Duff With Love
    Jennifer Lopez Miami

Both feminines, but wearable by men, both give you the same coconut tropical suntan lotion feel.

IMO there's noting like it, but there are some similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingBlade View Post
    I've had two or three bottles of VIW from different batches and I've found they're pretty consistent between batches.
    I've purchased over 20 bottles (for myself, family, and friends) since VIW originally came out in 2007. I can assure you there are pronounced batch variations in Virgin Island Water.

Fragrantica has numerous mentions of it as well in their online reviews.

^Yeah, there are slight variations with the lime, but the floral notes, wood, and coconut always seem identical to me. Variations, but no where near as much as GIT, MI, or Aventus.

OS and VIW seem to be the most consistent Millesimes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingBlade View Post

I had a bottle from 2008 or 2009 or so, and there is a HUGE difference between that bottle and my current one. The difference is the lime: in my older bottle, the lime was very, very sharp, and overpowered every other note -- I really didn't like the fragrance at all. In my current bottle, the lime is very light, in the background, and is really almost barely there, permitting the other notes to shine.
    Current Top Five:

I had a bottle from 2008 or 2009 or so, and there is a HUGE difference between that bottle and my current one. The difference is the lime: in my older bottle, the lime was very, very sharp, and overpowered every other note -- I really didn't like the fragrance at all. In my current bottle, the lime is very light, in the background, and is really almost barely there, permitting the other notes to shine.
    Exactly! There is a HUGE difference between the early 2007 2008 batches and the most recent batches. I use to be able to smell that amazing COCONUT note just by sniffing the nozzle.

Unfortunately, nowadays with my most recent purchases of VIW, no one around me can even detect any coconut. It is completely absent.

VIW has been my signature scent since early 2007. It's all I really ever wear. I think that's a pretty HUGE batch variance to go from lots of COCONUT to ZERO coconut..wouldn't you think?

You shouldn't have any batch problems with VIW. I have brought three bottles within the past couple of years, and they all smell exactly alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a 2008 batch or earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    You shouldn't have any batch problems with VIW. I have brought three bottles within the past couple of years, and they all smell exactly alike.
    Did you even read the last two posts?

Just curious....

Another reason why I will never own a full bottle of any Creed fragrance.
    St Barts is definitely not the same quality, and I'm not certain what VIW smells like, but out of curiosity I ordered a sample so I will post my opinion once it comes in!

I read them. Just letting you know my three bottles were alike! Everyone I know, didn't have any problems either.Just letting you know.
    Did you even read the last two posts?

Just curious....

Just dab a pina colada behind your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I read them. Just letting you know my three bottles were alike! Everyone I know, didn't have any problems either.Just letting you know.
    Ah, I see. I must have forgotten to take my medication.

I have a bottle from the 2010 batch and I like it. When I first got it, the lime was extremely prominent and there wasn't much coconut going on. However, after about 8 months, when I now smell it, there is a lot of coconut and less lime. I truly think that Creed fragrances change over time, for the better. I've experienced this with some of my other Creed frags as well.

Guess so bro!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Nothing comes close so far. The Tommy Bahama may be an exceptable substitute for some.
    I agree it might be an acceptable substitute from a price perspective but VIW is much better.

They have scented Rogaine now? Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Nothing in my mind takes the place of VIW, it's great for what it does. Coney Island has the same vibe, and is very nice, but it's not the same at all. You might like Batucada...but I did not.
    +1 -- However, the only similarity with Coney Island is the word 'island'
    Fire Island may be better as it smells like Ambre Solaire

If they can't smell the coconut, what is the dominant note? I can't even imagine VIW without a coconut note, unless the lime takes over.

Exactly! There is a HUGE difference between the early 2007 2008 batches and the most recent batches. I use to be able to smell that amazing COCONUT note just by sniffing the nozzle.

Unfortunately, nowadays with my most recent purchases of VIW, no one around me can even detect any coconut. It is completely absent.

VIW has been my signature scent since early 2007. It's all I really ever wear. I think that's a pretty HUGE batch variance to go from lots of COCONUT to ZERO coconut..wouldn't you think?
    - - - Updated - - -

I know it's a pain, but if you get a moment would you be so kind to post that batch number?
    I was wrong. My bottle isn't a 2011, it's a 2010. Number is A6210M02.
    Current Top Five:

Well, I'm going to weigh in again on the coconut front: I sniffed a tester in Harvey Nick's this week and the coconut note was huge and immediate. I never thought to check batch numbers or anything like that, but one can safely assume that a store of that calibre and turnover will be utilising up to date formulations for their testers. Come on folks, I know smell is a highly subjective experience, but anyone who fails to detect the coconut in VIW, old or new, is clearly sniffing up the wrong palm tree!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm going to weigh in again on the coconut front: I sniffed a tester in Harvey Nick's this week and the coconut note was huge and immediate. I never thought to check batch numbers or anything like that, but one can safely assume that a store of that calibre and turnover will be utilising up to date formulations for their testers. Come on folks, I know smell is a highly subjective experience, but anyone who fails to detect the coconut in VIW, old or new, is clearly sniffing up the wrong palm tree!