Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Poorly reviewed fragrance that you like?

I'm sure you all have encountered fragrances that are very well-reviewed but that you just didn't like. What about the reverse - fragrances that you like a lot but just can't understand why they are so poorly reviewed?

*As a general guideline, poorly reviewed means either fewer than 50% of the total reviews are positive, or the public is so indifferent to it that it has very few reviews.

Default Re: Poorly reviewed fragrance that you like?

Fahrenheit 32. Slightly more than 50% positive.

Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    23 Positive Reviews • neutral 20 Neutral Reviews • negative 18 Negative Reviews
    Last edited by Rüssel; 10th December 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Bond no.9 Hamptons comes to mind.

16+
    17-
    7 neutral

Another vote for Fahrenheit 32, also, On El- yes, it is vapid and with poor longevity, but even this adds little setbacks to the actual pleasantness of this scent's notes.

Exceptional for Men

Kidding!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129620.html

Serge Noire - at 22/11/11. It's really not the numbers as much as the reviewers that found it less than positive and their reasons. Surprising. Regardless of the lukewarm reception, I went ahead and bought after sampling and am glad I did. Sometime, I can't shake the feeling that I'm experiencing a very different scent than the picture that is painted in some reviews... and this is one of them.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129620.html

Serge Noire - at 22/11/11. It's really not the numbers as much as the reviewers that found it less than positive and their reasons. Surprising. Regardless of the lukewarm reception, I went ahead and bought after sampling and am glad I did. Sometime, I can't shake the feeling that I'm experiencing a very different scent than the picture that is painted in some reviews... and this is one of them.
    A HUGE +1 on Serge Noire. I'd wear it even if mine was the only positive review.

+2 on Serge Noire. My review was a luke-warm thumbs up, but I bought SN anyway and in wearing it, it has become one of my top five of all time!

FCUK HIM (original)

Sound Scents

Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan (2/7/1). I think a lot of folks were expecting a more pronounced vetiver heart and less spiced Earl Grey Tea... I love Earl Grey, and I love Coeur de Vetiver Sacre too.
    Last edited by drseid; 10th December 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Original Aoud

Basenotes Plus

Cefiro by Floris and Joop! Homme by Joop!

I won't defend Joop! Homme, I think it deserves to be slightly negatively reviewed just because it's so risky but I like it.

I don't get why Cefiro was so negatively reviewed. People complained about it being too feminine or too generic. It is a very feminine fragrance but of all of the fragrances I've worn, this has received the most compliments. I don't think it's generic at all, if you were to ask me what a generic citrus scent would be I'd have to go with LIDG. I've only wore it once though so it's an early "no" for me right now.

Beyond Paradise Men

Not a 5 star scent however I do like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Exceptional for Men

Kidding!
    + 1. I would never buy it since it is really not my cup of tea, but the sample I tried really wasn't bad. Most negative reviews are probably due to where it came from. A solid neutral IMO.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Bleu de Chanel.

One of my favorite cool weather daytime scents.

Roberto Cavalli man
    Lemon, ginger, lavender, myrrh, leather, musk.

Crave by Calvin Klein. This is normally the type of fragrance I just know I will hate, but for some inexplicable reason I just smile when I encounter it. The fragrant equivalent of an ohrwurm.....a nasenwurm?
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

JPG Kokorico -> i actually find the combo of green notes + cocoa quite unique.
    T. Mugler Pure Shot -> i am one of the lucky ones that get very good longevity and projection out of it. I like its smell and received quite some number of compliments.

I'm sure you all have encountered fragrances that are very well-reviewed but that you just didn't like. What about the reverse - fragrances that you like a lot but just can't understand why they are so poorly reviewed? *As a general guideline, poorly reviewed means either fewer than 50% of the total reviews are positive, or the public is so indifferent to it that it has very few reviews.
    Setting vintages aside that would be maybe half of the fragrances I own.

Off the top of my head: Lanvin's Avant Garde gets awful reviews and I'm quite fond of it, while their reformulated Vetyver was so widely poo-poo'd it was discontinued and I dig that too, Mandarina Duck Pure Black is one of my favourite modern designer scents and has less than ten reviews here, Cologne du 68 is another and it has maybe one review, D&G la Roue de la Fortune which I'm currently in love with gets poo-poo'd a lot as well, Chopard's Noble Cedar (divine!) is pretty much universally ignored and Noble Vetiver fares little better, while the Montale's I most love: Sandflowers and Wild Pears don't get much attention or love.

A lot of niche stuff I like doesn't get big love, but above two fragrances I paid $750 (shipping included) for namely Shaik no.77 and no.33, and which my wife and I were married wearing have only a single negative review between them, and an incredibly negative review at that. Though they get a bit more love on Fragrantica. However I see these are being about as good as perfume gets and mean to buy the rest of the range when I can.

The only time reviews annoy me though (although unfortunately this happens quite a lot) is when someone will say exactly the same about two fragrances yet in one review it's a good thing and in another it's a bad thing. For example I see quite a few negative reviews on BN which conclude that 'it's clean, fresh and inoffensive and thus boring stupid and worthless.' but then flip to something popular, say Mugler Cologne, and suddenly, 'it's clean, fresh and inoffensive and that's why it's a work of genius!' gotta love the group-think.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Roberto Cavalli man
    Lemon, ginger, lavender, myrrh, leather, musk.
    Yes. This one surprised me. I read a lot of negativity on it, but when I tried it, I was hooked. I can see how it would not be somebody's cup of tea, Cavalli Man (and Cavalli for Women) really do have something special going for them. You wear it, and it's virtually impossible to smell bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Azzaro Decibel.
    I fought it and fought it. My girlfriend won in the end. I bought a bottle. I whined about the hype, and the fact that it just felt wrong... I wore it a few times. I now really enjoy this smoky, spicy, sweet gourmand fragrance, and it works very well in the winter. It's not as youthful as it's being made out to be, since I would personally find it hilarious to smell Decibel on a teen.
    Last edited by MapOfTheWoods; 10th December 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
    JPG Kokorico -> i actually find the combo of green notes + cocoa quite unique.
    T. Mugler Pure Shot -> i am one of the lucky ones that get very good longevity and projection out of it. I like its smell and received quite some number of compliments.
    + a BIG #1 to PURE SHOT
    it has been hated ever since it came out.....it is a good good quality like most if not all of the Mugler for men scents
    Bad reputation but it is VERY underrated

Fahrenheit 32
    Davidoff Hot Water

This one gets a bad rap, but my wife and I really like it. Just wish the longevity was a bit better

I just thought of another that I like quite a bit and seem to be alone on -- Dolce & Gabbana The One Sport. A wonderful sport fragrance (yes, a little soft, but the scent is quite good IMO).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Reflection Man by Amouage
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Chanel Jersey... gets 3/2/5 here and dismal reviews on most blogs. I like it a lot - not the best Exclusif, sure, but a rewarding intricate lavender, nonetheless...

Pure Shot
    Fahrenheit 32

Legend/Mont Blanc

Last edited by Bossa Nova; 11th December 2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I Am King. Ridiculous name, horrid longevity, poor projection, celebrity scent, zero complexity, and sold in drugstores. Should hate it, but I don't.

Serge Lutens L'Eau. Usually written off as "boring, fresh," it's actually high quality, subtle and complex.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    Bleu de Chanel.

One of my favorite cool weather daytime scents.
    Completely agree with you. I read so many reviews indicating that this was a boring scent not worthy of the Chanel brand. It turns out that Bleu is a complex, sophisticated scent which many people enjoy. Glad I followed my instincts.

couldnt agree more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    This one gets a bad rap, but my wife and I really like it. Just wish the longevity was a bit better

couldnt agree more

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey. An amazing amber fragrance.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

+1 Bvlgari Man
    +1 Bleu De Chanel
    Unforgivable by SJ
    Bang by MJ......&...

Paul Smith MAN

Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I still love Bang! despite what anyone says. I also agree with the fans of Serge Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Legend/Mont Blanc

Legend is poorly reviewed? From what i've seen its one of the most liked newer scents out...

Fleur du Male
    Pi Neo

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    Legend is poorly reviewed? From what i've seen its one of the most liked newer scents out...
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider Legend poorly reviewed. It has few reviews on BN, but that's only because it's quite new. It has more reviews on Fragrantica and is quite well-reviewed there.

Diesel Green

Interesting spicy aquatic. However, I do admit that the quality of the ingredients are very low and it is synthetic to the max. I do not have my nose in all aquatic but this one is one of the most interesting smell I've encountered in the the genre.

If someone know a fragrance that smell like this but with much better ingredient quality please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post

Huh, my skin chews up & spits out fragrances quickly, but this one actually hangs on quite a while for me.

Love them all:
    Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar
    Lancome Miracle Homme
    Pal Zileri Sartoriale
    Aigner Black for Men
    A*Men Sunessence Orage d'Ete
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"..... I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Fall: | Gucci PH | Cacharel Nemo |
    YSL M7 | LAP L'Eau du Navigateur | Guerlain Heritage | YSL M7 OA | T.Mugler Pure Havane | Terre d'Hermes | Armani Attitude | T.Mugler B*Men | Lancome Miracle Homme | T.Mugler Pure Wood |

Dolce & Gabbana The One -- I just love its grapefruit, ginger, and a little bit musky and sweet amber combination. On my skin, it projects moderately and lasts 8+ hours in the warm weather. Though, it performs weaker in the colder seasons.

Definitely Fahrenheit 32 - it's just soo delicious , so pure and innocent yet so sexy and provocative. I'd rate it at 8/10.
    Reformulated D&G PH - Although it may not be as good as the first formulation , I think it's still a decent scent , easy to wear , very versatile , great workhorse frag , can be worn in any season .

Hugo Boss Hugo Dark Blue

23 Positive Reviews • 8 Neutral Reviews • 14 Negative Reviews - ok, I can ALMOST understand that as it does have that synth problems that occur on me from time to time, but sometimes it reminds me never to discard it or not to have in my collection.

Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman

17 Positive Reviews • 11 Neutral Reviews • 11 Negative Reviews - I don't think at all that this is bad + many start "The One" threads, everyone seldom mention The One Gentleman which actually IS stronger and more potent version of the original.

Encounter by Calvin Klein.

Not much love for this one at 3 positive, 9 neutral, and 7 negative reviews. But I think it's pretty great, easily one of the best designer releases of 2012, IMO.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Guerlain Homme - 38 Positive Reviews • 36 Neutral Reviews • 20 Negative Reviews

Like Bleu de Chanel I think this was handicapped by the weight of expectation and history.

212 Sexy Man
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Dolce & Gabbana The One -- I just love its grapefruit, ginger, and a little bit musky and sweet amber combination. On my skin, it projects moderately and lasts 8+ hours in the warm weather. Though, it performs weaker in the colder seasons.
    How is The One poorly reviewed? It has 70 positive reviews to 18 negative reviews.

Two would be Le Male and Joop! Homme. Both are sweet and can be cloying, but I love them.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

In addition to both Bleu de Chanel and Bvgari Man I also like Christian Audigier for Him. This has been out for three years and has generated all of one neutral review here on bn. Sure, it's pretty synthetic but it does get quite a surprising amount of compliments when I do pull it out of the collection every now and then.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Polo Black:
    36 Positive
    39 Neutral
    30 Negative

Nautica Sunset Voyage:
    1 Positive
    3 Neutral
    4 negative

Banderas: Seduction in Black:
    0 Positive
    1 Neutral
    1 Negative

McGraw:
    5 Positive
    5 Neutral
    7 Negative

Estee Lauder: Pleasures for Men:
    12 Positive
    12 Neutral
    18 Negative

Nickel: Enemy / Ennemi:
    0 Positive
    0 Neutral
    3 Negative

Paul Smith Man:
    6 Positive
    1 Neutral
    6 Negative
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Beckham Signature

Actually a number of them.
    Hypnose Lancome does not have a massive follow-up, so is Kenzo Homme Boisee, and L'Homme Libre, the latter being badly bashed around here
    Oh, and L'Air de Rien was negatively reviewed by one of the greatest signature of this forum, Mouchoir de Monsieur. I enjoyed the review immensely, but the way... but I enjoyed the perfume too!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I'll say what I have everytime one of these goes up

Armani Mania. the reviews here are actually slanted on the positive numbers but it has a bad rep here..as does many Armani's these days. Cedar is a favorite note of mine and the cedar and musk in this is pretty linear. It doesn't project greatly and won't knock your socks off but overall I find it kind of sexy and easy to wear.

Versace Jeans Couture--The bottle is incredibly tacky. It is synthetic. But there is something about this stuff that is green and intriguing and sexy to me. Everyone I knew that smelled it said the same thing....sexy is the word I hear most and see in reviews that are positive. Again, the minimal reviews here are positive but over the years when the Versace line has been mentioned in posts it has been panned pretty badly.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 12th December 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

For me it's Kouros. It's special for me from the 80's . I'm confused about the dislike, because it is afaik the most sold men's fragrance in the world and i remember in the 80's it was really widely liked fragrance.

In 80's i think it was mostly young men's fragrance, typically it was not liked by the middle aged - old men back then.

Also, Narciso Rodriguez for Him

Again, Bleu de Chanel
    Last edited by döfä91; 12th December 2012 at 09:39 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Another one for Cavalli Man. My dad was wearing it and I eventually stole his bottle, and when I finished that I received another one for Christmas. Its not ground breaking or unique in any way but it is still a great frag. especially for the price. I like to mix it into my rotation just to change things up a bit. Perfect for the office or school and gets a lot of compliments from the ladies as well, not that it matters. I think Ill wear it today as a matter of fact!

I like the Idea of this thread. It just goes to show that you shouldnt follow too closely what other people TELL you to like and just go with what YOU like. Keep following your noses and tune everyone else out!
    Last edited by FullCollapse; 12th December 2012 at 05:47 PM.